Unaspected Vs Aspected Planets

Cosmette

I've been thinking about this a bit lately: What does it mean to have un-aspected planets? I myself have a fire sun and a water moon, however they don't aspect each other. Typically, water and fire of course would square. Since they don't aspect what does that mean for these existing planets? Is it simply foreign territory for the planets that are in free-fall in scenarios? Do they blend and actually work in tandem just fine? Are un-aspected planets in this instance like squares? Or is it better than having them aspect and make a square?

AppLeo

Re: Inspected Vs Aspected Planets

Just because your sun and moon don't aspect doesn't mean they don't aspect other planets. If a planet actually doesn't aspect anything else, if I remember correctly, the planet acts out or over-asserts itself, while at other times completely dead. It's rare for planets to not aspect anything else.

I wouldn't say that it's a free-for-all. A fire Sun and water Moon would still create some kind of a problem. Your fire sun might drive you to do things that make your water moon uncomfortable and vice versa.

For example, I have a Leo Sun and Virgo Moon, so they don't aspect each other, but the problems it creates are obvious. My Leo Sun can throw me into the spotlight, but my hypercritical Moon will find a way to avoid it or criticize it. And also, you can't look at just two planets; you gotta get the full picture. If you add in my Saturn, that adds a whole new dimension. My Saturn is in Taurus trines my Moon, but also squares my Sun. So I'm really great at sabotaging or criticizing myself to the point that I give up on the spotlight that I naturally want. If I reflect too much, I back out of a lot of things that I should go for. While at the same time, I do things that constantly make me feel unstable or disorganized.

Many astrologers do consider planets aspecting merely by sign. In vedic astrology, planets in the same sign regardless how wide the conjunction, are still considered a conjunction. It kind of depends.

Although the tighter the actual aspect, the more prominent and powerful.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I've been thinking about this a bit lately:
What does it mean to have un-aspected planets?
I myself have a fire sun and a water moon,
however they don't aspect each other.

Typically, water and fire of course would square. Since they don't aspect what does that mean for these existing planets? Is it simply foreign territory for the planets that are in free-fall in scenarios? Do they blend and actually work in tandem just fine? Are un-aspected planets in this instance like squares? Or is it better than having them aspect and make a square?
Traditional astrology aspects are primarily by WHOLE SIGN
and
the only aspects traditionally used are the classical Ptolemaic aspects:

sextile
square
trine
opposition.

and

Signs that are not in a classical aspect with each other
– either 30 degrees or 150 degrees
are said to BE IN AVERSION :smile:
meaning they are turned away from each other
out of the line of vision
and
hence out of contact

FOR EXAMPLE

If we take the Ascendant to be the helm
and the Asc Lord to be the helmsman
the LORD OF THE ASCENDANT IN AVERSION
is like a ship without direction.

This could indicate someone who just kind of stumbles into situations
rather than consciously directing themselves into situations.
doesn't necessarily mean lack of success
depending on what other factors in the chart say
but
success that is very much contingent on one's environment
rather than the person's own actions or intentions.
It's very much, in the right place at the right time.

ALSO

Lord of the Asc can't protect the native from illnesses and accidents
WHEN IN AVERSION TO THE ASCENDANT.

aversion-02.jpg

If Venus is Ascendant ruler and in AVERSION to ascendant
then
the native MAY neglect their personal appearance :smile:
HOWEVER
the TOTALITY of the chart requires consideration
generalisation is tempting and fun
but is notoriously unreliable

Cosmette

Just because your sun and moon don't aspect doesn't mean they don't aspect other planets. If a planet actually doesn't aspect anything else, if I remember correctly, the planet acts out or over-asserts itself, while at other times completely dead. It's rare for planets to not aspect anything else.

I wouldn't say that it's a free-for-all. A fire Sun and water Moon would still create some kind of a problem. Your fire sun might drive you to do things that make your water moon uncomfortable and vice versa.

For example, I have a Leo Sun and Virgo Moon, so they don't aspect each other, but the problems it creates are obvious. My Leo Sun can throw me into the spotlight, but my hypercritical Moon will find a way to avoid it or criticize it. And also, you can't look at just two planets; you gotta get the full picture. If you add in my Saturn, that adds a whole new dimension. My Saturn is in Taurus trines my Moon, but also squares my Sun. So I'm really great at sabotaging or criticizing myself to the point that I give up on the spotlight that I naturally want. If I reflect too much, I back out of a lot of things that I should go for. While at the same time, I do things that constantly make me feel unstable or disorganized.

Many astrologers do consider planets aspecting merely by sign. In vedic astrology, planets in the same sign regardless how wide the conjunction, are still considered a conjunction. It kind of depends.

Although the tighter the actual aspect, the more prominent and powerful.

That is really interesting!!! I'm a Sag sun, Cancer moon! I'll say I've definitely struggled the most with a moon square mars, although of course, I've also have a jupiter trine moon aspect (and that's it, that's all it touches).

Meanwhile, my sun conjuncts my mercury, venus, and pluto. Also sextile to my mars. So I feel it's very interesting how my moon expresses itself, it seems loud or smothered at times depending on if I'm in public or private. I don't seem to have Cancerian sensitivity unless I'm with someone I'm vulnerable to who is insensitive or callous, it's like I could get wounded from them easily, whereas at work or in the public eye, I feel things don't seem to bother me to the point of tears- or in general, actually.

I'm sure moon/jupiter perhaps helps with that, but I do wonder since my moon isn't very active, and my sun is, that perhaps it may dominate it at times.

(Sorry if this all sounds goofy, I've only been learning for a little while, myself :'^))

IleneK

Premium Member
I've been thinking about this a bit lately: What does it mean to have un-aspected planets? I myself have a fire sun and a water moon, however they don't aspect each other. Typically, water and fire of course would square. Since they don't aspect what does that mean for these existing planets? Is it simply foreign territory for the planets that are in free-fall in scenarios? Do they blend and actually work in tandem just fine? Are un-aspected planets in this instance like squares? Or is it better than having them aspect and make a square?

Aspects are relationships between planets or planetary energies. They can be easier relationships with sextiles and trines, or more challenging/substantial with conjunctions, squares, oppostions. If two planets don't aspect, then they don't have a direct relationship/connection.

A modern definition of Sun is one's identity; Moon is one's feelings. If these two energies are not connected by aspect, then you might have some difficulty connecting your feelings with your identity.
But as AppleLeo points out, although two bodies may not directly aspect each other, they will likely aspect other planets and so be integrated into the psyche/personality that way.