Out-of-sign Conjunctions (Thoughts and experiences)

applesandlilacs

Casting a net for research.

What are your thoughts and experience of out-of-sign conjunctions?

Do you count them, can it turn an easy conjunction by planets into a hard conjunction by signs, does the importance depend on it being personal/personal, or personal/generational, generational/generational, or by houses.

Just putting some questions out there to get the juices flowing, you don't have answers these specific ones.

I thank you for any and all input.

Blessings,

Amber

applesandlilacs

I have a Sun(0°02'♍/11°27'N) Venus(29°34♌/12°53'N) out-of-sign conjunction. I think it being out of sign and at 0° and 29° changes the flavor of this conjunctions.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my prenatal (annular solar) eclipse is at 29°02♌.

Last edited:

dr. farr

I believe out of sign conjunctions work, ie, that they have an effect, especially so if the planets involved are in parallel of declination-when that happens whether the planets are in or out of sign makes no difference whatsoever.

HOWEVER, in adding up the essential+accidental dignities and detriments of planets in a given chart, I do NOT consider out of sign conjunctions for this particular calculation UNLESS the planets involved are within 1.5 degrees of parallel of declination.

sibylline

My experience is that they work. I place less emphasis on the signs and the more on the nature of the conjunction itself, whether they're personal or generational.

applesandlilacs

I got interested in this because I have this with Sun/Venus, Sun/Jupiter, and Moon/Venus. Truth be told it would probably be considered an out-of-sign Stellium. (I'll attach my chart for reference)

I have read the descriptions about about the planets, and how they work together. Personally, I really don't see on an interpersonal level with Sun/Venus. I don't really have a "halo effect" on other people. I'm introverted, and can't take highly social events. It says that Sun Venus people need to be liked, I don't need that I do need people to be genuine and treat me with common courtesy. I do have a huge problem though since it literally in-singes me that I can't control how other people see me. It makes no logical sense because it's literally impossible, but it bugs me none the less; totally irrational. They say there's a dramatic quality to this specific conjunct, but I don't know if it's this or the fact that I have mercury in Leo conjunct midheaven, so take your pick on what makes me dramatic (externally).

This particular conjunction is
Sun at 0°♍/Venus at 29°♌.

Others:
Sun at 0°♍/Jupiter at 22°♌.
Moon at 11°♍/Venus at 29°♌.

Now, everything I read says that I'm supposed to be the hottest thing on two legs. That is not the case, I'm pretty but I'm not magazine pretty or movie pretty. My facial features tend to be large, especially my eyes. Again, other aspects in my chart effect this; I have Uranus in the first house in ♏, it also happens to conjunct my part of Fortune.

The one thing about these conjunctions that I definitely have is high spirituality, high seeking of knowledge, and the need for expansion. I tend to dream a "little" big. I'm a big picture thinker which is weird because half of my Stellium is in ♍. I find the ♌/♍ energy exchange helps me understand my ADHD a lot better.

I do have an effect on people I just don't know what it is, the more I understand about astrology the more I believe that these conjunctions are highly influenced by the fact that I have Chiron in the 7th house. I think it's almost an amplification process.

This seems like a good place to stop. I have a tendency to be information overload. If there is something specific I didn't mention that you want to know feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I believe out of sign conjunctions work, ie, that they have an effect, especially so if the planets involved are in parallel of declination-when that happens whether the planets are in or out of sign makes no difference whatsoever.

HOWEVER, in adding up the essential+accidental dignities and detriments of planets in a given chart, I do NOT consider out of sign conjunctions for this particular calculation UNLESS the planets involved are within 1.5 degrees of parallel of declination.

Thank you Dr. Farr for sharing your vast knowledge with such clarity and objectivity.
This is a topic that interests me a lot since, using the Whole Sign Houses system, i have a very relevant out-of-sign conjunction: Mars at 28º 34 'of Gemini in the 6th whole sign in conjunction with Jupiter at 1º 29' of Cancer in the 7th whole sign, with Mars and Jupiter also forming a parallel of declination with a very tight orb (0° 23').

Therefore, in your view, would you consider important and relevant to also interpret the position of Mars in the 7th whole sign (and Jupiter in the 6th) or should I continue to interpret them exclusively/influencing only the houses/ signs where they are?

Grateful in advance,

PNS

Last edited:

greybeard

You have a conjunction with an orb of 2*55'. I consider this an "exact" aspect, very close, powerful, important. The house boundary lies midway between the two planets. The conjunction perfects in Cancer, so that fact...that the "aspect" moves to perfection in Cancer where Jupiter is dignified and Mars is not guides your interpretation.

Mars is in Gemini, not in Cancer. He is "read" in Gemini. But at less than 1-1/2 degrees from the sign/house boundary, and drawn by conjunction with Jupiter, Mars clearly influences 7th house affairs. His essential character is Geminian; his accidental influence is primarily 7th house.

Last edited:
You have a conjunction with an orb of 2*55'. I consider this an "exact" aspect, very close, powerful, important. The house boundary lies midway between the two planets. The conjunction perfects in Cancer, so that fact...that the "aspect" moves to perfection in Cancer where Jupiter is dignified and Mars is not guides your interpretation.

Mars is in Gemini, not in Cancer. He is "read" in Gemini. But at less than 1-1/2 degrees from the sign/house boundary, and drawn by conjunction with Jupiter, Mars clearly influences 7th house affairs. His essential character is Geminian; his accidental influence is primarily 7th house.

Thank you very much, Greybeard.
That confirms and validates precisely the opinion/feeling i had (and also the whole sign house system), based on my experiences/life events (still, i would also like to read Dr. Farr's opinion on this:))

Apropos, Greybeard...do you think that the gemini Mars accidental influence primarily in the 7th house comes from some sort of orb that the house/angle may have, pulling the planet inside or...maybe is due to the planet's own orb/energy...or the "moiety" of the planet's orb (mars, in this case)? Or both? :)

Thank you again,

PNS

greybeard

An Essential dignity is inborn, inherent and is shown by the signs. Mars in Aries is essentially dignified; Mars in Taurus essentially debilitated. Retrogradation is an essential debility because its motion is inherent in a planet at the moment of birth.

Most other conditions that carry dignity/debility are Accidental. Accidental is an astrological term that is shared with psychology. In psychology it means some psychological formation that grows out of an external event; Linda fears cats (psychological formation) because a cat bit her when she was a baby (external event). It is not essential, but experiential.

I used the term "drawn to" because the impending conjunction (the action) takes place on Jupiter's position in Cancer; Mars must move forward to perfect the conjunction.

In interpretation, we see that Mars, who is Geminian by nature, comes out of the 6th to join Jupiter in the 7th. That is what we "actually see" in the chart.

Last edited:
An Essential dignity is inborn, inherent and is shown by the signs. Mars in Aries is essentially dignified; Mars in Taurus essentially debilitated. Retrogradation is an essential debility because its motion is inherent in a planet at the moment of birth.

Most other conditions that carry dignity/debility are Accidental. Accidental is an astrological term that is shared with psychology. In psychology it means some psychological formation that grows out of an external event; Linda fears cats (psychological formation) because a cat bit her when she was a baby (external event). It is not essential, but experiential.

I used the term "drawn to" because the impending conjunction (the action) takes place on Jupiter's position in Cancer; Mars must move forward to perfect the conjunction.

In interpretation, we see that Mars, who is Geminian by nature, comes out of the 6th to join Jupiter in the 7th. That is what we "actually see" in the chart.

Sure, Greybeard. I'm familiar with those concepts: essential/zodiacal dignities (according to Ptolemy: dignity, exaltation, triplicity, term & face) and accidental (non zodiacal and conveyed by any attribute that fortifies the planet: direct, swift in motion, angular, free from combustion, in a beneficial aspect to a fortunate planet or conjunct a fixed star of a fortunate nature).

Probably, i didn´t explained myself in the best way. I was asking if you think that the "moving forward" of Mars to next house (7th, in this case) can originate from other reason than his conjuntion to Jupiter in that house. I.e. if you admit that a planet in the last 2/3 degrees of an house/sign (in whole sign house system) can, due to his orb/sphere of influence, extend his influence to the next house (or not)? (for instance, using the Dariot's "moety" limits).

Thank you,

PNS

avrillavigne

I have Sun (Aries 1°56') conjunct Venus (Pisces 29°07').
I do think that my Venus has some Aries flavour - I can be quite pushy and straight forward when it comes to relationships, but I'm still really romantic. Guys I have dated have told me that they didn't expect me to be so romantic and dreamy when they first met me. Even when I flirt I show my Aries side but if you get to know me I show my Pisces side.
I don't know if it is of any significance that both planets are exalted in those signs?

greybeard

Aspects are aspects regardless of sign. The measurement of aspects is by degrees. In the case of the Leo Venus in 30 Leo and Sun less than one degree distant in 1 Virgo...How could this not be a valid and effective conjunction? Sun is lord of Leo and rules Venus. Venus is consumed by the flames of Sun.

I look at a situation like this as indicating some "special purpose" or "unique gift". Rather than set this conjunction "off to one side" because it is across the sign boundary, I think the configuration screams for attention. I shouts out its importance.

besitos

i have out of sign venus/eros conjunction, i feel it is valid. eros blends with venus - with the flavor of their signs. i mean, when you experience the world do you only taste it, or do you taste, see, smell, etc it?

greybeard

Traditionally a planet within 5 degrees or so of subsequent house cusp is treated as if in the subsequent house. A planet within about 3 degrees is "on the doorstep" or "on the threshold". He's pounding on the door, ringing the bell... You are pretty well obligated to answer the door, and this new visitor affects the household. First thing in the door, this guy gives Jupiter a great big hug and gets him all excited. The ephemeris will show what he does later on. "Read" what you see the planets doing with confidence.

What does Mars (and Jupiter) mean in this chart. Work out the meaning and you will see the dynamics at work, you will see yourself portrayed.

Traditionally a planet within 5 degrees or so of subsequent house cusp is treated as if in the subsequent house. A planet within about 3 degrees is "on the doorstep" or "on the threshold". He's pounding on the door, ringing the bell... You are pretty well obligated to answer the door, and this new visitor affects the household. First thing in the door, this guy gives Jupiter a great big hug and gets him all excited. The ephemeris will show what he does later on. "Read" what you see the planets doing with confidence.

What does Mars (and Jupiter) mean in this chart. Work out the meaning and you will see the dynamics at work, you will see yourself portrayed.

Your thoughts make complete sense to me! Really helpful and insightful!
Thank you, Greybeard!

greybeard

Aspects are aspects and are measured by degrees. Sign boundaries do not affect the number of degrees between two planets. So "orb of aspect" is the basic measure of strength of influence. Whether or not the aspect is across sign lines does not affect this measure.

Use Bobby Fisher's chart as example. Uranus, Mars, and Neptune are in a partile (effectively at the least) grand trine in Air. All 3 energies vibrate in the same Element, harmoniously. In the trine group of aspects, harmony of Element is vital. If one of the three planets in a grand trine arrangement is cross-sign (out of Element), then it is not a grand trine, because it is the harmonious blending of the single Element that gives the grand trine its special power.

Now we turn to the square of Mercury to Uranus. A square normally occurs between two planets in the same Quality. Uranus is in Gemini, of the Common or Mutable Quality. A normal square would come from Pisces, a Common sign.

But Mercury is in Aquarius, a Fixed sign. (Note that Mercury rules Uranus in Gemini, while Uranus is associated with Aquarius. A sort of mutual reception). Both Gemini and Aquarius are Air signs. So the emphasis of this aberrant square has shifted from Quality to Element.

I call the square aberrant because it deviates from the norm for squares. It is deviant. What is deviant stands out; it is a special and unique attribute. In the horoscope, deviation of any sort deserves our special attention.

The Qualities, fundamentally, have to do with how we meet the outer world. The Elements are highly subjective, internal, and describe how we perceive the world.

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
Bil Tierney “The Dynamics of Aspect Analysis”

He writes quite a bit on out of aspect. An aspect is an aspect. There is not much out there on it.

Does anyone else know of existing writing on them?

greybeard

A, the swifter planet, B the slower, 4 scenarios:

1) A applies to B, same sign.
2) A separates, same sign.
3) A separates, cross sign.
4) A applies, cross sign.

What say we explore interpretive possibilities here?

Notice that importance is given to application-separation. Most texts say applying aspects are stronger than separating, and leave it at that. But the actual character of the aspect changes. It is important.

Let's explore.

Last edited: