Sun in 8th house

theV

One of my friend asked to read for her mom whom she was suffering from depression. The mother had sun in the 8th house parallel Pluto so I do think 8th house deals with depression. Inability to understand our fears and complexities makes us depressed. 12th house and 8th house are the houses that indicates depression and mental illnesses. Doctors always have strong 8th house, 12th house for their ability to heal. 8th house depression comes from fear of losing control, fear of being attacked, of being vulnerable, of dying.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Yes, they pretty much are. Unless you're thinking of pessimism as an attitude which shifts depending on the circumstances. Pessimism as a philosophy doesn't allow for improvement and believes everything inclines to the worst so there would be no hope, little desire to affect change, e.g. help others.

I was thinking of pessimism as an attitude rather than a philosophy. And it doesn't have to be an all or nothing attitude. I can be pessimistic that I'll ever amount to anything but still do helpful things for others. Maybe my actions don't exactly match my thoughts in that example, because if I'm helping someone I'm amounting to something... I'm thinking of this as an emotion more than anything else.

AppLeo

A positive to having Sun in the 8th house is that it make these people super magnetic and deep. These people have the ability to truly connect with other people.

IfIKnewBetter

Hey yes, I agree!! My life has been a series of catastrophe after catastrophe. But unlike other people who may turn to more devious ways of coping in a cruel world, our scars become the space that lets the pure light of a good heart shine through. And that is how we can help others - and ultimately remain still good at heart.

“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

― Rumi

Last edited:

IfIKnewBetter

Wow you guys have eerily similar stories to mine. Especially you Osamenor.

They can bump my Sun up into the 9th House all they want this is all the proof I need. If it were meant to be in the 9th it would be in the 9th.

They can bump my Sun up into the 9th House all they want this is all the proof I need. If it were meant to be in the 9th it would be in the 9th.

It's possible your birth time was not altogether accurate, as you should definetely go on your intuition. Was it a rounded birth time by any chance? That would explain the misfit feeling.

Osamenor

Staff member

Does changing the house system you use change your sun's placement to the eighth? Is it right on the eighth/ninth house cusp? Which is it in whole sign?

IfIKnewBetter

Does changing the house system you use change your sun's placement to the eighth? Is it right on the eighth/ninth house cusp? Which is it in whole sign?

In both Placidus and Whole Sign it's in the 8th House. The problem is that it's at 29:59 Gemini in 8th/9th Houes Cusp so everyone bumps it up into the 9th and then because of the Scorpio placements in my chart assume that's where my experiences have derived from.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_me_hw.4146.65493.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_me_hw.4146.65493.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Placidus.jpg
    Placidus.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 33

conspiracy theorist

In both Placidus and Whole Sign it's in the 8th House. The problem is that it's at 29:59 Gemini in 8th/9th Houes Cusp so everyone bumps it up into the 9th and then because of the Scorpio placements in my chart assume that's where my experiences have derived from.

The thing about the 5 degree rule is that it doesn't apply if the cusp occurs in a different sign. So, at least in my estimation, you are definitely an 8th house Sun person.

conspiracy theorist

Which? House cusp or Planet cusp?

I was referring to house cusps. Your Gemini Sun is right on the last degree so it wouldn't have influence in the cusp immediately preceding it as it occurs in a totally different sign.

Another example could be: Venus at 27 Taurus and the cusp begins on 1 Gemini. within 5 degrees but 2 different signs hence the proximity doesn't count.

IfIKnewBetter

I was referring to house cusps. Your Gemini Sun is right on the last degree so it wouldn't have influence in the cusp immediately preceding it as it occurs in a totally different sign.

Another example could be: Venus at 27 Taurus and the cusp begins on 1 Gemini. within 5 degrees but 2 different signs hence the proximity doesn't count.

That's all I ever wanted, an answer.

Last edited:
That description of the 8th house sun was very accurate. I think the issue most 8th house sun people face is trying to build a life and achieve their goals without a partner. I've always wondered why I felt as if I needed another person to feel content. As a child I couldn't sleep at night and even to this day I find it easier to fall asleep with someone I love next to me. Studying astrology and finding that I had sun in 8th helped me realize that maybe all the **** I encountered trying to build a life for myself wasn't so farfetched. 8th house suns are kinda caught between insanity and reality and even though we can be natural psychologist for others we often need someone to help keep us from falling apart.