Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 12-20-2016, 02:06 AM

On the Earth (Signs)

A thread about the element of Earth in the natal chart. Strengths, weaknesses. Love, hate.

Discuss.

Unread 12-20-2016, 02:13 AM

Re: On the Earth (Signs)

One thing I have gotten again and again in writing groups:

"Wow, ghost, how do you come up with your ideas? It's so strange/unique/whatever!"

And I've got to wonder, do these people ever go outside? Or read non-fiction, at least? I've never had an original idea in my life but it seems like most people are just very unobservant. I wonder if that comes from earthiness.
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
The Following User Says Thank You to graay ghost For This Useful Post:
katydid (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:17 AM

I like Earth people because they say things as they are.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:24 AM

@GG,

Attunement to surroundings/the world? Definitely could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
I like Earth people because they say things as they are.
I think I like Earth because it settles a person/chart, adds balance.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
@GG,

Attunement to surroundings/the world? Definitely could be.
I guess so. I am not sure. A lot of it is based on what I read or hear.
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:33 AM

I think the Earth signs are very underrated. The power/desire for materialization and form means that an Earthy person would work to put their ideas or dreams into material manifestation. I think there is a lot of power behind that many people don't appreciate because it is not very flashy.

Traditionally, the earth signs corresponded to the melancholy humor which is stated to be the humor of intellectuals.http://www.skyscript.co.uk/melancholy.html
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:33 AM

So about Virgo. Why do you think some people may not be fond of Virgo? I think it's the critical nature.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I think the Earth signs are very underrated. The power/desire for materialization and form means that an Earthy person would work to put their ideas or dreams into material manifestation. I think there is a lot of power behind that many people don't appreciate because it is not very flashy.
Yup. The above is another reason I like Earth -- getting real things done. Imagine if Earth disappeared.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:39 AM

There is also the idea that "ideas" are superior to the "real" or "physical" but ideas in opposition to physical reality is the beginnings of things like propaganda, newspeak, gaslighting, etc. Ideas are only valid if they adhere to reality. Otherwise it's easy to get carried off...

Virgos. I cannot say I know any Virgos. Though apparently they are one of the most common signs, along with Libras, in the US at least. This I think however mostly has to do with when most people prefer to do the do than anything else.
craft94 (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
So about Virgo. Why do you think some people may not be fond of Virgo? I think it's the critical nature.
Well no one likes to be told that they're making a mistake. Virgos draw attention to all mistakes especially mistakes that aren't that important.

Virgo is modest and conscientious. People generally walk past these people and forget their considerate nature. No one really cares that much if you close the door softly before you leave, or if you fold their clothes after they're done drying. It's nice, but it's not completely mandatory.

Virgos never take the spotlight and are never the center of attention. No one cares about those on the side; it's the people that are front and center that seem to matter to people whether they are that important or not. People want to watch the actual movie not the behind the scenes. Virgos deal with and associate with the boring stuff of life that no one else really cares about.

One thing I've noticed with pretty much all humans to some fundamental level is that we want to believe in something. Which sounds kind of Pisces, which is opposite of Virgo. People want their fantasies or dreams to come to life. Virgo is just like, "Sorry but it's never going to happen and here's why." No one wants to hear that.
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Yup. The above is another reason I like Earth -- getting real things done. Imagine if Earth disappeared.
If Earth didn't exist then we couldn't do life anymore literally and metaphorically.

Fire is too busy playing; water is too busy crying; air is too busy in their minds. Earth actually does something about it.
craft94 (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Well no one likes to be told that they're making a mistake. Virgos draw attention to all mistakes especially mistakes that aren't that important.

Virgo is modest and conscientious. People generally walk past these people and forget their considerate nature. No one really cares that much if you close the door softly before you leave, or if you fold their clothes after they're done drying. It's nice, but it's not completely mandatory.

Virgos never take the spotlight and are never the center of attention. No one cares about those on the side; it's the people that are front and center that seem to matter to people whether they are that important or not. People want to watch the actual movie not the behind the scenes. Virgos deal with and associate with the boring stuff of life that no one else really cares about.

One thing I've noticed with pretty much all humans to some fundamental level is that we want to believe in something. Which sounds kind of Pisces, which is opposite of Virgo. People want their fantasies or dreams to come to life. Virgo is just like, "Sorry but it's never going to happen and here's why." No one wants to hear that.
So is that who you are?
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graay ghost View Post
There is also the idea that "ideas" are superior to the "real" or "physical" but ideas in opposition to physical reality is the beginnings of things like propaganda, newspeak, gaslighting, etc. Ideas are only valid if they adhere to reality. Otherwise it's easy to get carried off...
Following that tangent, an earthy person who lacks imagination is liable to find things they can't immediately verify as unreal or ********. It might be a case where these ideas do in fact have some validity but the earth person does not have the capacity to conceptualize how that idea may take a material form. Something like intergalactic space travel might make your average earth person scoff, but if everyone was so quick to dump an idea because of it's initial "impossibility" then no-one would take the time to learn and discover the science possible to make such a thing a reality.

The final product (earth) is only as good as it's inputs (fire, water and air). Earth might suffer from garbage in, garbage out the most.
craft94 (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:03 AM

Basically if any of the elements didn't exist, we all would be *******. There's value in every single sign, even if we don't think we get along with a particular Sun sign. Without Earth, nothing would ever get done. Without air, there would be no ideas to work towards. Etc.
I think it's good to have a balanced chart

Last edited by craft94; 12-20-2016 at 03:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to craft94 For This Useful Post:
AlexZim (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
Basically if any of the elements didn't exist, we all would be *******. There's value in every single sign, even if we don't think we get along with a particular Sun sign.
Yeah they're all necessary. But most discussions about the signs seem to be around the water, air and fire signs in that order. Maybe this thread will help in fleshing out the understanding of the Earth element more.
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah they're all necessary. But most discussions about the signs seem to be around the water, air and fire signs in that order. Maybe this thread will help in fleshing out the understanding of the Earth element more.
Yeah. I feel like, if I were to talk to people who are interested in astrology but only have a basic knowledge of it and they were to ask what my "big 3" are, they'd assume the Taurus Moon would equate to me being a boring person which is not the case at all.
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
Yeah. I feel like, if I were to talk to people who are interested in astrology but only have a basic knowledge of it and they were to ask what my "big 3" are, they'd assume the Taurus Moon would equate to me being a boring person which is not the case at all.
It's a good time to ask you this. How do you see your Taurus Moon mixing with your majorly airy/watery chart? I remember my interpretation way back when but it would be cool to hear it from you.
craft94 (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:12 AM

Quote:
So is that who you are?
I have Virgo Moon, so on a core or emotional level I am like that.
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:32 AM

Personally I tended to find that Earth signs were very "boring", "un-interesting". But as I get older, I tend to value them and their personalities more. The guy I like has lots of earth, which totally complement my chart (I only have one planet in Earth and it's not a personal planet).
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Being a Taurus Rising, with a Cap Moon,, I have attracted a lot of Virgos into my life over the years.

I have Virgo on the 5th cusp, and my first two 'serious' romantic relationships in high school were both Virgos. Neither relationship ended well....

I did feel unfairly criticized by both of them, especially at the end of our relationship. Being a Scorpio, with Venus in my 7th, and the Moon in my 8th, I did used to exude a certain amount of sexual energy. Both of my Virgo boyfriends were very attracted to that in the beginning, but somehow, by the end, they were using that same energy to beat me up and 'shame me.'

But I think it was a good thing for me overall, because I had been sexually abused as a young girl, and my sexuality was a bit messed up. I did really need a Virgo's critical eye to help me understand social standards....

My God Mother, my mom's little sister, is a double Virgo. Although I used to feel 'judged' by her when I was younger, I also knew she was always there for me and was a helpful, realistic support. She was critical by nature but was also the first to offer a helping hand whenever anyone in our family needed it most. Every holiday, wedding, baby shower, funeral, Auntie Em would be the one in the trenches, doing the necessary work to organize, and make everything happen. I did not truly appreciate her until I was grown myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to katydid For This Useful Post:
sibylline (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:41 AM

Brutal honesty time:

The way Earth types are often spoken of as like slave labor offends and disturbs me.
craft94 (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Following that tangent, an earthy person who lacks imagination is liable to find things they can't immediately verify as unreal or ********. It might be a case where these ideas do in fact have some validity but the earth person does not have the capacity to conceptualize how that idea may take a material form.
I agree, this can be the greatest downside to Earth. Lack of belief, even awareness, of anything that can't be perceived with the five senses. The world in between its material lines simply does not exist. I think this also causes misunderstandings and even dislike by people of other elemental dominances who can't fathom or really don't care for someone who can't see beyond the concrete world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
Personally I tended to find that Earth signs were very "boring", "un-interesting". But as I get older, I tend to value them and their personalities more.
Yes, I think as people age/mature they grow to appreciate Earth more.

Quote:
Brutal honesty time:

The way Earth types are often spoken of as like slave labor offends and disturbs me.
Examples?
The Following User Says Thank You to sibylline For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (12-20-2016)
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I agree, this can be the greatest downside to Earth. Lack of belief, even awareness, of anything that can't be perceived with the five senses. The world in between its material lines simply does not exist. I think this also causes misunderstandings and even dislike by people of other elemental dominances who can't fathom or really don't care for someone who can't see beyond the concrete world.
Yeah, but on the flip side, if people can't fathom the concrete world then they can just get right out. If you can't value the concrete then why are you still alive??? To be alive is an earthy thing.
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but on the flip side, if people can't fathom the concrete world then they can just get right out. If you can't value the concrete then why are you still alive??? To be alive is an earthy thing.
So only earth alone is necessary for life? Explain.
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Brutal honesty time:

Since your post landed right underneath my description of my double Virgo Auntie, I can't help but wonder if that is what you are referring to...