Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:06 AM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
On the Earth (Signs)

A thread about the element of Earth in the natal chart. Strengths, weaknesses. Love, hate.

Discuss.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:13 AM
graay ghost's Avatar
graay ghost graay ghost is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,480
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

One thing I have gotten again and again in writing groups:

"Wow, ghost, how do you come up with your ideas? It's so strange/unique/whatever!"

And I've got to wonder, do these people ever go outside? Or read non-fiction, at least? I've never had an original idea in my life but it seems like most people are just very unobservant. I wonder if that comes from earthiness.
__________________
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graay ghost For This Useful Post:
katydid (12-20-2016)
  #3  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:17 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,571
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

I like Earth people because they say things as they are.
__________________
To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly. And to feel small and ambitious, look down less gratefully and up more longingly
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:24 AM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

@GG,

Attunement to surroundings/the world? Definitely could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
I like Earth people because they say things as they are.
I think I like Earth because it settles a person/chart, adds balance.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:26 AM
graay ghost's Avatar
graay ghost graay ghost is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,480
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
@GG,

Attunement to surroundings/the world? Definitely could be.
I guess so. I am not sure. A lot of it is based on what I read or hear.
__________________
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:33 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,625
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

I think the Earth signs are very underrated. The power/desire for materialization and form means that an Earthy person would work to put their ideas or dreams into material manifestation. I think there is a lot of power behind that many people don't appreciate because it is not very flashy.

Traditionally, the earth signs corresponded to the melancholy humor which is stated to be the humor of intellectuals.http://www.skyscript.co.uk/melancholy.html
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (12-20-2016)
  #7  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:33 AM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

So about Virgo. Why do you think some people may not be fond of Virgo? I think it's the critical nature.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:39 AM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I think the Earth signs are very underrated. The power/desire for materialization and form means that an Earthy person would work to put their ideas or dreams into material manifestation. I think there is a lot of power behind that many people don't appreciate because it is not very flashy.
Yup. The above is another reason I like Earth -- getting real things done. Imagine if Earth disappeared.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:39 AM
graay ghost's Avatar
graay ghost graay ghost is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,480
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

There is also the idea that "ideas" are superior to the "real" or "physical" but ideas in opposition to physical reality is the beginnings of things like propaganda, newspeak, gaslighting, etc. Ideas are only valid if they adhere to reality. Otherwise it's easy to get carried off...

Virgos. I cannot say I know any Virgos. Though apparently they are one of the most common signs, along with Libras, in the US at least. This I think however mostly has to do with when most people prefer to do the do than anything else.
__________________
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graay ghost For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-20-2016)
  #10  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:47 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,571
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
So about Virgo. Why do you think some people may not be fond of Virgo? I think it's the critical nature.
Well no one likes to be told that they're making a mistake. Virgos draw attention to all mistakes especially mistakes that aren't that important.

Virgo is modest and conscientious. People generally walk past these people and forget their considerate nature. No one really cares that much if you close the door softly before you leave, or if you fold their clothes after they're done drying. It's nice, but it's not completely mandatory.

Virgos never take the spotlight and are never the center of attention. No one cares about those on the side; it's the people that are front and center that seem to matter to people whether they are that important or not. People want to watch the actual movie not the behind the scenes. Virgos deal with and associate with the boring stuff of life that no one else really cares about.

One thing I've noticed with pretty much all humans to some fundamental level is that we want to believe in something. Which sounds kind of Pisces, which is opposite of Virgo. People want their fantasies or dreams to come to life. Virgo is just like, "Sorry but it's never going to happen and here's why." No one wants to hear that.
__________________
To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly. And to feel small and ambitious, look down less gratefully and up more longingly
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:50 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,571
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
Yup. The above is another reason I like Earth -- getting real things done. Imagine if Earth disappeared.
If Earth didn't exist then we couldn't do life anymore literally and metaphorically.

Fire is too busy playing; water is too busy crying; air is too busy in their minds. Earth actually does something about it.
__________________
To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly. And to feel small and ambitious, look down less gratefully and up more longingly
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AppLeo For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-20-2016)
  #12  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:52 AM
graay ghost's Avatar
graay ghost graay ghost is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,480
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Well no one likes to be told that they're making a mistake. Virgos draw attention to all mistakes especially mistakes that aren't that important.

Virgo is modest and conscientious. People generally walk past these people and forget their considerate nature. No one really cares that much if you close the door softly before you leave, or if you fold their clothes after they're done drying. It's nice, but it's not completely mandatory.

Virgos never take the spotlight and are never the center of attention. No one cares about those on the side; it's the people that are front and center that seem to matter to people whether they are that important or not. People want to watch the actual movie not the behind the scenes. Virgos deal with and associate with the boring stuff of life that no one else really cares about.

One thing I've noticed with pretty much all humans to some fundamental level is that we want to believe in something. Which sounds kind of Pisces, which is opposite of Virgo. People want their fantasies or dreams to come to life. Virgo is just like, "Sorry but it's never going to happen and here's why." No one wants to hear that.
So is that who you are?
__________________
Reading a chart (or tea leaves or chicken entrails or whathaveyou) is a very different act than reading a book. When someone reads a book, the author had a particular intent that the reader is supposed to pick up on. The main message you get from reading stars is "neener neener" because otherwise they would have made themselves easier to read.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 12-20-2016, 02:58 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,625
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graay ghost View Post
There is also the idea that "ideas" are superior to the "real" or "physical" but ideas in opposition to physical reality is the beginnings of things like propaganda, newspeak, gaslighting, etc. Ideas are only valid if they adhere to reality. Otherwise it's easy to get carried off...
Following that tangent, an earthy person who lacks imagination is liable to find things they can't immediately verify as unreal or ********. It might be a case where these ideas do in fact have some validity but the earth person does not have the capacity to conceptualize how that idea may take a material form. Something like intergalactic space travel might make your average earth person scoff, but if everyone was so quick to dump an idea because of it's initial "impossibility" then no-one would take the time to learn and discover the science possible to make such a thing a reality.

The final product (earth) is only as good as it's inputs (fire, water and air). Earth might suffer from garbage in, garbage out the most.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-20-2016)
  #14  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:03 AM
craft94's Avatar
craft94 craft94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Venus
Posts: 1,340
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Basically if any of the elements didn't exist, we all would be *******. There's value in every single sign, even if we don't think we get along with a particular Sun sign. Without Earth, nothing would ever get done. Without air, there would be no ideas to work towards. Etc.
I think it's good to have a balanced chart

Last edited by craft94; 12-20-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craft94 For This Useful Post:
AlexZim (12-20-2016)
  #15  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:06 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,625
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
Basically if any of the elements didn't exist, we all would be *******. There's value in every single sign, even if we don't think we get along with a particular Sun sign.
Yeah they're all necessary. But most discussions about the signs seem to be around the water, air and fire signs in that order. Maybe this thread will help in fleshing out the understanding of the Earth element more.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:09 AM
craft94's Avatar
craft94 craft94 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Venus
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Yeah they're all necessary. But most discussions about the signs seem to be around the water, air and fire signs in that order. Maybe this thread will help in fleshing out the understanding of the Earth element more.
Yeah. I feel like, if I were to talk to people who are interested in astrology but only have a basic knowledge of it and they were to ask what my "big 3" are, they'd assume the Taurus Moon would equate to me being a boring person which is not the case at all.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:12 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,625
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
Yeah. I feel like, if I were to talk to people who are interested in astrology but only have a basic knowledge of it and they were to ask what my "big 3" are, they'd assume the Taurus Moon would equate to me being a boring person which is not the case at all.
It's a good time to ask you this. How do you see your Taurus Moon mixing with your majorly airy/watery chart? I remember my interpretation way back when but it would be cool to hear it from you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-20-2016)
  #18  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:12 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,571
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graay ghost View Post
So is that who you are?
I have Virgo Moon, so on a core or emotional level I am like that.
__________________
To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly. And to feel small and ambitious, look down less gratefully and up more longingly
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:32 AM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 993
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Personally I tended to find that Earth signs were very "boring", "un-interesting". But as I get older, I tend to value them and their personalities more. The guy I like has lots of earth, which totally complement my chart (I only have one planet in Earth and it's not a personal planet).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:41 AM
katydid katydid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,894
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
So about Virgo. Why do you think some people may not be fond of Virgo? I think it's the critical nature.
Being a Taurus Rising, with a Cap Moon,, I have attracted a lot of Virgos into my life over the years.

I have Virgo on the 5th cusp, and my first two 'serious' romantic relationships in high school were both Virgos. Neither relationship ended well....


I did feel unfairly criticized by both of them, especially at the end of our relationship. Being a Scorpio, with Venus in my 7th, and the Moon in my 8th, I did used to exude a certain amount of sexual energy. Both of my Virgo boyfriends were very attracted to that in the beginning, but somehow, by the end, they were using that same energy to beat me up and 'shame me.'

But I think it was a good thing for me overall, because I had been sexually abused as a young girl, and my sexuality was a bit messed up. I did really need a Virgo's critical eye to help me understand social standards....

My God Mother, my mom's little sister, is a double Virgo. Although I used to feel 'judged' by her when I was younger, I also knew she was always there for me and was a helpful, realistic support. She was critical by nature but was also the first to offer a helping hand whenever anyone in our family needed it most. Every holiday, wedding, baby shower, funeral, Auntie Em would be the one in the trenches, doing the necessary work to organize, and make everything happen. I did not truly appreciate her until I was grown myself.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katydid For This Useful Post:
sibylline (12-20-2016)
  #21  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:41 AM
graay ghost's Avatar
graay ghost graay ghost is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,480
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Brutal honesty time:

The way Earth types are often spoken of as like slave labor offends and disturbs me.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to graay ghost For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-20-2016)
  #22  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:42 AM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Following that tangent, an earthy person who lacks imagination is liable to find things they can't immediately verify as unreal or ********. It might be a case where these ideas do in fact have some validity but the earth person does not have the capacity to conceptualize how that idea may take a material form.
I agree, this can be the greatest downside to Earth. Lack of belief, even awareness, of anything that can't be perceived with the five senses. The world in between its material lines simply does not exist. I think this also causes misunderstandings and even dislike by people of other elemental dominances who can't fathom or really don't care for someone who can't see beyond the concrete world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
Personally I tended to find that Earth signs were very "boring", "un-interesting". But as I get older, I tend to value them and their personalities more.
Yes, I think as people age/mature they grow to appreciate Earth more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graay ghost View Post
Brutal honesty time:

The way Earth types are often spoken of as like slave labor offends and disturbs me.
Examples?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sibylline For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (12-20-2016)
  #23  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:44 AM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,571
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibylline View Post
I agree, this can be the greatest downside to Earth. Lack of belief, even awareness, of anything that can't be perceived with the five senses. The world in between its material lines simply does not exist. I think this also causes misunderstandings and even dislike by people of other elemental dominances who can't fathom or really don't care for someone who can't see beyond the concrete world.
Yeah, but on the flip side, if people can't fathom the concrete world then they can just get right out. If you can't value the concrete then why are you still alive??? To be alive is an earthy thing.
__________________
To feel big and contented, look down more gratefully and up less longingly. And to feel small and ambitious, look down less gratefully and up more longingly
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:47 AM
conspiracy theorist's Avatar
conspiracy theorist conspiracy theorist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clearing
Posts: 14,625
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Yeah, but on the flip side, if people can't fathom the concrete world then they can just get right out. If you can't value the concrete then why are you still alive??? To be alive is an earthy thing.
So only earth alone is necessary for life? Explain.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 12-20-2016, 03:49 AM
katydid katydid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,894
Re: On the Earth (Signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graay ghost View Post
Brutal honesty time:

The way Earth types are often spoken of as like slave labor offends and disturbs me.

Since your post landed right underneath my description of my double Virgo Auntie, I can't help but wonder if that is what you are referring to...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.