Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

I'm not really looking at the whole issue as a control/power thing, although I can see how that contributes to the issue. I think zero-ing in one aspect of abortion, like who's in control and has decision-making power is rather limiting and restrictive. I wouldn't want to base my political or legal opinions solely on one aspect, but many people disagree.

How is having men out of the conversation on abortion helpful? Doesn't it set the precedent, that men are not responsible for the conception of their child, that men can 'wash their hands' of the very real and influential experience of pregnancy? I kind of worry that taking men and would-be fathers out of the convo sets the stage so to speak for men to have little if any involvement in their children's lives.

This might be a dramatic concept, but I think taking men out of convo is rather dramatic as well.

Not out of the conversation, just out of the legislation.

moonkat235

I understand that, but then again treatment for children on the autism spectrum has greatly improved for the newer generations. Many of those who are younger and suffer from similar conditions have seen improvement in many areas of life.

I totally understand your point of view though, however not every child with aspeger turns out the same. I don't think we can prejudge each situation just in case before it actually happens.

I don't think there's one blanket conclusion you can draw from my anecdote, just as I don't think one size fits all for abortion. Of course not every person with Asperger's lives a miserable life or one lacking fulfillment. I'd say in my brother's case, it's the comorbidity of several disorders, compounded with societal structures that limits the acceptance he so craves.

I'm just attempting to illustrate that the issue is more complex and nuanced than people care to realize. I'm not advocating that there's a right or wrong when it comes to abortion. The issue is so complex in my mind that I find it frustrating when others place a concrete value judgment on the very real and very individual experience of considering or actually having an abortion.

moonkat235

When is it a "child", as opposed to a "potential child", in your opinion?

This is a very difficult question and I don't have an answer. This is why I asked Dirius for his definition of life. Similarly, you'd have to define 'child' for me. My whole line of questioning is not in an effort to argue my concrete perspective. I don't really have one in all honesty. I feel rather ambivalent on deep issues like this.

I ask because I'm curious and I want to know if people's viewpoints stand up to my personal inspection. I think I'm trying to formulate conclusions in my head, but right now, I just see too many options.

Dirius

This is a very difficult question and I don't have an answer. This is why I asked Dirius for his definition of life. Similarly, you'd have to define 'child' for me. My whole line of questioning is not in an effort to argue my concrete perspective. I don't really have one in all honesty. I feel rather ambivalent on deep issues like this.

I ask because I'm curious and I want to know if people's viewpoints stand up to my personal inspection. I think I'm trying to formulate conclusions in my head, but right now, I just see too many options.

Ok. Lets backtrack the discussion, and go for something which is much simpler to determine then.

Are you in favour of late-term abortions? Democrats are currently trying to pass laws in the U.S. that would consider a 6 month fetus (who is viable outside the womb) as a candidate for abortion. This one already has brain function, organs, can feel pain etc.

petosiris

Banned
Ok. Lets backtrack the discussion, and go for something which is much simpler to determine then.

Are you in favour of late-term abortions? Democrats are currently trying to pass laws in the U.S. that would consider a 6 month fetus (who is viable outside the womb) as a candidate for abortion. This one already has brain function, organs, can feel pain etc.

Wait, what about the two ingredients of life, the sperm and the ovum? Don't they have right to life and become zygotes? :unsure:

moonkat235

I just said I don't really have concrete opinions on deep issues like this due to the complex nature of such things... but I will consider and formulate a response to this while you consider and formulate a response to this:

I don't think there's one blanket conclusion you can draw from my anecdote, just as I don't think one size fits all for abortion. Of course not every person with Asperger's lives a miserable life or one lacking fulfillment. I'd say in my brother's case, it's the comorbidity of several disorders, compounded with societal structures that limits the acceptance he so craves.

I'm just attempting to illustrate that the issue is more complex and nuanced than people care to realize. I'm not advocating that there's a right or wrong when it comes to abortion. The issue is so complex in my mind that I find it frustrating when others place a concrete value judgment on the very real and very individual experience of considering or actually having an abortion.

Given my statement, how does your perspective navigate the gray complexities of the issue of abortion and address the concerns of the individual's experience?

moonkat235

Also Dirius,

I assume you don't want to share your whole chart, since you never responded when I asked.

Would you consider sharing your Mercury??

Lemme know!

david starling

Zygotists are against even birth-control methods!
The Catholic Church is even against condoms!

petosiris

Banned
The Catholic Church is even against condoms!

Dirius is committing a sin by allowing himself an ejaculation without the sole objective of conception! Clearly the Catholic Church is actually concerned with the rights of sperm!

moonkat235

Just a heads up! My right wrist has swollen to 1.5x the size of my left. So, I might peace out for a sec. I got a bunch of bug bites yesterday and I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to mosquitoes, because usually they swell to at least quarter size if not larger. lol Anyway, I got a lot of bites yesterday and I'm kinda struggling now. lol