Redeeming qualities of Saturn in Traditional?

Zonark

Not exactly :smile:

The First is far from 'a slovenly locale' in fact the First is the STRONGEST in terms of STRENGTH OF THE HOUSES

The houses are not all equal in strength and power.
If a planet is located in an angular house, it is much more forceful in its effects than it would be in a cadent house
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/horary1d.html

On page 48 of Christian Astrology Lilly writes:

'....The angles are most powerful, the succeedents are next in virtue, the cadents poor, and of little efficacy: the succeedent houses follow the angles, the cadents come next [after] the succeedents. In force and virtue they stand so in order:
1 10 7 4 11 5 9 3 2 8 6 12

The meaning whereof is this, that two planets equally dignified, the one in the Ascendant, the other in the tenth house, you shall judge the planet in the Ascendant somewhat of more power to effect what he is significator of, than he that is in the tenth: do so in the rest as they stand in order, remembering that planets in angles do more forcibly show their effects.....'

'....The astrological angles - ascendant, midheaven (MC), descendant and lower midheaven (IC) - are the most potent and influential areas in any chart. Any planet that is in conjunction with an angle will have a marked influence that resonates throughout the chart and greatly colours its overall meaning.....'

Ah okay. I know the 1st is the most powerful house but it being the house of Saturn's fall might that make Saturn just too strong? A powerfully restrictive force perhaps?

tsmall

Premium Member
Ah okay. I know the 1st is the most powerful house but it being the house of Saturn's fall might that make Saturn just too strong? A powerfully restrictive force perhaps?

Why are we thinking that the 1st is the house of Saturn's fall? Planets are in fall in signs, not houses. Is this something stemming from the joys of the planets?

JUPITERASC

....I can certainly see where this conflict manifests in my life, purely as a constant underlying emotional current where my Martian side grates against my emotional nature. I had a lot of conflict with my mother in my adolescence, that sounds like a manifestation of this aspect, at least one way it could've gone. She was always very supportive but far too overprotective. I was always very angry with her and had difficulty showing appreciation. It felt like my willfulness was in conflict with her emotional state and the dynamic always ended on a negative note for both of us. My father was absent for the second half of my adolescence; my mother divorced him on allegations of sexually abusing my siblings and I, the divorce took a very long time and the dynamic that played out at home was always harsh. I had a hard time controlling my temper and would end up going from very calm to smashing up the house or getting into really explosive arguments, usually in response to my mother having an emotional breakdown which happened frequently. She put me on psychiatric medication when I was 12 and once had me arrested to be sent to the psychiatric ward, which is kind of comical in a dark way considering the Moon's lunar loony side. Very very irrational behavior looking back at it all. :pouty:

I'd be very interested in any opinion you have on how that Moon/Mars dynamic could be expressed in a more positive way. I don't want to carry anything like that dynamic into my adult life.
In that case here's a useful video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17_TtOysQOA :smile:
So....you would want to be hedonistic?

Sometimes restriction can be a good thing.

Anyway, Saturn is a Malefic, but in your chart, not especially Malefic. Saturn really wants to help you, but he doesn't have any help. Sun in a sextile or trine (by Sign) to Saturn would really help, and so would Venus in a sextile, square or trine (by Sign), but those two are in aversion to Saturn (and your Ascendant), and it would be better if Mars were in aversion to Saturn, but it isn't so.

Yes, Rx Saturn impedes Moon, but Saturn is not really the bad guy here.

My primary concern would be the Moon/Rx Saturn opposition, the Moon/Mars sextile, and then the Mars/Jupiter sextile that never perfects.
Interestingly, BobZemco has highlighted that your natal Saturn 'is not especially Malefic' and WANTS to help

BobZemco

I got that from Walter Pullen's calculations to determine the chart ruler. I am pretty sure it isn't a traditional method but I figured when I said it there might be some parallels.

Uh, okay. I have no idea who that is, but I get the parallel thing.

Traditional Astrology is very hierarchical.

Just as there is an hierarchy of charts (I listed them on another thread starting with the Grand Conjunction -- your Natal Chart would be ~7th in the pecking order), there are hierarchies for the Planets in your chart and all relevant topics, starting with:

Chart Ruler
Sect Ruler
Ascendant Ruler
Ascending Sign Ruler
Each Topical House/Sign

The Chart Ruler is the Planet that has the greatest amount of Dignity in certain select Chart Points, plus strengths based on House location and locational Dignity.

The certain select Points are the Ascendant, Sun, Moon, Lunar Ascendant (Lot of Fortune) and pre-Natal Moon (by position).

Most people use either ibn Ezra's method, or Omar's method, you can, too. I use a variation of ibn Ezra's method, because I have some issues.

He gives 2 points to Planets in the 12th House and 1 to the 6th House; I reverse that, giving a Planet in the 6th House 2 points and one in the 12th House 1 point.

I should mention these are actually Signs, meaning the 6th Sign and not the 6th House in the chart.

Ibn Ezra also gives 5 points to the Sign Ruler, 4 points to the Exaltation Ruler and 3 points for a Planet in its Triplicity. I give 5 points for Exaltation Ruler, 4 for the Sign Ruler, 3 for Triplicity if the Planet is in-Sect, 2 points for the participating Triplicity Ruler, and 1 point if the Planet is not in-Sect.

8 times out of 10, we both pick the same Planet as Chart Ruler.

Then I started using Abu-Ali's method -- Bonatti uses a variation of his--- which I find to be more comprehensive and logical.

Once you've identified the Chart Ruler, examine it's condition, and you can bet the farm that at the end of the day, on average, that's how your life will turn out.

Naturally, that judgment is made within the scheme of other hierarchies, namely Socio-Economic Class, Culture & Environment.

So....a mediocre Chart Ruler would mean that within your SECC&R your life is mediocre, but compared to another person in a different SECC&R your life could be better.....or worse.

Sect Ruler doctrines are FUBAR due to poor misunderstanding and bad text translations. Most people understand the Sect Ruler to be either the Sun in a Day Chart, or Moon in a Night Chart.

It don't work that way.

The Sect Ruler is the most powerful Planet in the Sect.....how do you determine that? I have no idea, but common sense and logic dictates that an Out-of-Sect Planet cannot be Sect Ruler. "What if they're all Out-of-Sect?" Well, gosh, golly, by darn, I guess they're all equally debilitated and so you'll have to look at something else, like Dignity.

The Sect Ruler governs your health and vitality as it relates to your physical/mental constitution.

A powerful Sect Ruler is less likely to become ill/diseased, or injured, and if they do, the illness/disease or injury isn't as damaging, and they recover much faster than the average person would.

Take someone with Type I Diabetes. If the Sect Ruler is strong, no big deal; but if it is weak, then they'll end up having limbs (extremities) amputated because of it. If Sect Ruler happens to be also be the Light of the Sect -- Sun or Moon -- and in an Azieme Degree, then they'll eventually lose their eyesight.

The Ascendant Ruler is the Planet that has the greatest Dignity in the Ascendant Point. Most people use a weighted scoring system, which I think is silly and contrary to the entire purpose.

On the Natal Forum they pull their hair over stupid stuff like, "S/he has a Cancer Ascendant, but they're nothing like a Cancer."

Doh! No kidding. Why don't you look at the Bound Ruler, see what condition it's in and whether or not it aspects the Ascending Sign, and then figure out the Ascendant Ruler -- which could be Mars.

Anyway, that's your basic hierarchical structure.

Ah so I do have a day chart. I thought my PM birth made it a night chart, huge mistake.

It's based on the Sun's location in the sky. So long as the Sun falls Above Earth in the 7th through 12th Houses it's a day chart.

Note that in a Day Chart, Sun is in-Sect if and only if Sun is in a Masculine Quadrant and Sign or House.... or both Sign and House (if in Quadrant II).

In other words, if Sun is in the 10th, 11th or 12th Signs, then Sun is in a Masculine Quadrant and in-Sect, and then if Sun is in the 11th, or in a Masculine Sign in the 10th or 12th, then Sun is in Hayz.

The 7th, 8th and 9th Houses comprise the Feminine Quadrant (Quad II)

Sun in a Masculine Sign in the 8th is in-Sect, but nothing more.

Sun in 7th or 9th is in-Sect, and if in a Masculine Sign, then also in Hayz.

Question; would that mean the calculation of my Part of Fortune must use the Day formula?

Yes.

Depending on whether I use the day or night formula it ends up at 10 degrees Sagittarius or 18 degrees Aquarius respectively. The astrodienst calculator places it in Sagittarius but I thought it might be incorrect based on something I read about AM/PM birth times.

I don't know about Astrodienst. Maybe they calculate it correctly. Someone else can answer that.

I see. So Mars will disrupt Saturn's influence. I had no idea, superficially they look like they're in harmony.

Mars has separated from the trine with Saturn.

So again I have planets that are just not in tune with Saturn, though not necessarily working against it it like the Moon and Mars, or would they be actively opposed the way the Moon and Mars are?

Saturn in your chart is a positive thing, but it would be more helpful to have Venus in a nice aspect with Saturn. Because Capricorn is Jupiter's Fall, Jupiter cannot really help, and in fact would hurt, unless Jupiter were in Pisces moving to a sextile of Capricorn Saturn.

I can certainly see where this conflict manifests in my life, purely as a constant underlying emotional current where my Martian side grates against my emotional nature. I had a lot of conflict with my mother in my adolescence, that sounds like a manifestation of this aspect, at least one way it could've gone. She was always very supportive but far too overprotective. I was always very angry with her and had difficulty showing appreciation. It felt like my willfulness was in conflict with her emotional state and the dynamic always ended on a negative note for both of us. My father was absent for the second half of my adolescence; my mother divorced him on allegations of sexually abusing my siblings and I, the divorce took a very long time and the dynamic that played out at home was always harsh. I had a hard time controlling my temper and would end up going from very calm to smashing up the house or getting into really explosive arguments, usually in response to my mother having an emotional breakdown which happened frequently. She put me on psychiatric medication when I was 12 and once had me arrested to be sent to the psychiatric ward, which is kind of comical in a dark way considering the Moon's lunar loony side. Very very irrational behavior looking back at it all.

In every chart, Natal, Solar Return, Mundane, Horary and Electional a separating aspect indicates something in the past.

"But it's a Natal Chart, I don't have a past."

Yes, you do.

The time from Conception to Birth, and even before that. Your parents already had problems and issues before you were born, so you're not the cause or the problem.

I'd be very interested in any opinion you have on how that Moon/Mars dynamic could be expressed in a more positive way. I don't want to carry anything like that dynamic into my adult life.

I think you're doing it. Mercury in Virgo is pushing management on Mars. I use Egyptian Terms and not Ptolemy's Pterms or Lily's Terms. Mercury is in the Bound of Mars, so Mars receives Mercury and is granting Mercury permission to act.

Uh, you are rational, right? That's a good thing. The 9th is Cadent, and so kind of weak, but a trine outranks a sextile -- where Moon is Angular (especially here since it's a right sextile and a right trine).

That is interesting about the grand trine not applying, I've never had anyone say that or determined with my own research but it makes sense with Saturn's contrary movement. It's good that square doesn't apply either as it would probably be a pretty harsh aspect.

Once Planets separate from an aspect, they're done.

Some of the texts suggest that so long as they are still in Moiety Orb, there's a lasting effect. I dispute that, because I don't see it, and because half the words in Romanian are Latin and the connotation or message those particular Latin words convey is of an imprint or impression.

I don't know squat about Greek, Arabic or Farsi, so I can't speak to those texts.

It's a "lasting impression," and not a "lasting effect." Is that splitting hairs? I don't know. I'd settle for "lingering effect" (less permanence).

The imperfect Mars/Jupiter sextile I've seen manifest in my relationships with significant others. Mars always chasing an ideal expansive and philosophically grounded love which never quite happens. Funnily enough it's something about Mars that always seems to turn them off. Either I'm too angry, too slow, too stubborn, too twisted, too damaged, it always seems to be something about my Mars. I get plenty of the lunar attention from significant others but Mars hates it and doesn't appreciate it at all.

Retrograde Saturn in your 1st House would make you "too slow and "too stubborn" (but not because Saturn is in the 1st House, rather because Saturn participates with Moon, Mercury and the Ascendant Point Ruler in determining your mannerisms and characteristics).

With Virgo Mercury in the 9th, you're not "too slow" rather you're reserved and try to avoid making hasty decisions.

The Mars thing, well, the first applying aspect Moon makes is to Mars, so that's the kind of woman that you'd idealize, at least initially.

Zonark

Traditional Astrology is very hierarchical.

Just as there is an hierarchy of charts (I listed them on another thread starting with the Grand Conjunction -- your Natal Chart would be ~7th in the pecking order), there are hierarchies for the Planets in your chart and all relevant topics, starting with:

Chart Ruler
Sect Ruler
Ascendant Ruler
Ascending Sign Ruler
Each Topical House/Sign

The Chart Ruler is the Planet that has the greatest amount of Dignity in certain select Chart Points, plus strengths based on House location and locational Dignity.

The certain select Points are the Ascendant, Sun, Moon, Lunar Ascendant (Lot of Fortune) and pre-Natal Moon (by position).

Most people use either ibn Ezra's method, or Omar's method, you can, too. I use a variation of ibn Ezra's method, because I have some issues.

He gives 2 points to Planets in the 12th House and 1 to the 6th House; I reverse that, giving a Planet in the 6th House 2 points and one in the 12th House 1 point.

I should mention these are actually Signs, meaning the 6th Sign and not the 6th House in the chart.

Ibn Ezra also gives 5 points to the Sign Ruler, 4 points to the Exaltation Ruler and 3 points for a Planet in its Triplicity. I give 5 points for Exaltation Ruler, 4 for the Sign Ruler, 3 for Triplicity if the Planet is in-Sect, 2 points for the participating Triplicity Ruler, and 1 point if the Planet is not in-Sect.

8 times out of 10, we both pick the same Planet as Chart Ruler.

Then I started using Abu-Ali's method -- Bonatti uses a variation of his--- which I find to be more comprehensive and logical.

Once you've identified the Chart Ruler, examine it's condition, and you can bet the farm that at the end of the day, on average, that's how your life will turn out.

Naturally, that judgment is made within the scheme of other hierarchies, namely Socio-Economic Class, Culture & Environment.

So....a mediocre Chart Ruler would mean that within your SECC&R your life is mediocre, but compared to another person in a different SECC&R your life could be better.....or worse.

Sect Ruler doctrines are FUBAR due to poor misunderstanding and bad text translations. Most people understand the Sect Ruler to be either the Sun in a Day Chart, or Moon in a Night Chart.

It don't work that way.

The Sect Ruler is the most powerful Planet in the Sect.....how do you determine that? I have no idea, but common sense and logic dictates that an Out-of-Sect Planet cannot be Sect Ruler. "What if they're all Out-of-Sect?" Well, gosh, golly, by darn, I guess they're all equally debilitated and so you'll have to look at something else, like Dignity.

The Sect Ruler governs your health and vitality as it relates to your physical/mental constitution.

A powerful Sect Ruler is less likely to become ill/diseased, or injured, and if they do, the illness/disease or injury isn't as damaging, and they recover much faster than the average person would.

Take someone with Type I Diabetes. If the Sect Ruler is strong, no big deal; but if it is weak, then they'll end up having limbs (extremities) amputated because of it. If Sect Ruler happens to be also be the Light of the Sect -- Sun or Moon -- and in an Azieme Degree, then they'll eventually lose their eyesight.

The Ascendant Ruler is the Planet that has the greatest Dignity in the Ascendant Point. Most people use a weighted scoring system, which I think is silly and contrary to the entire purpose.

On the Natal Forum they pull their hair over stupid stuff like, "S/he has a Cancer Ascendant, but they're nothing like a Cancer."

Doh! No kidding. Why don't you look at the Bound Ruler, see what condition it's in and whether or not it aspects the Ascending Sign, and then figure out the Ascendant Ruler -- which could be Mars.

Anyway, that's your basic hierarchical structure.

Really excellent help Bob, thank you!

Using your method (prior to your adoption of Abu Ali's method, which I'm reading about now in Abu Ali's translated The Judgments of the Nativities) my Chart Ruler comes out as the Sun. Using Ezra's it is unclear and contested between the Sun, Moon and Saturn (considering Saturn's conflict with the Moon, the Sun seems to win by default anyway).

My Ascendant Ruler is Saturn?

Using Abu Ali's judgment of rearing concerning nativity my Ascendant Triplicity bestows no auspices but the circle of the Sun bestows some, itself being the benefactor as the first Lord of its own Triplicity. Would that be correct?

I realize what caused me to question the astrodienst calculator for the Part of Fortune. An article on the same site claimed the proper method for distinguishing whether the PoF was to be calculated diurnally or nocturnally was a question of the native's birth time being either AM or PM respectively. Clearly this is nonsense and contrary to the calculator's method.

This is all very encouraging, the preface to The Judgments of Nativities explained Ptolemy's unsettling effect on astrology which answered a whole slew of irritating questions I've had since I began studying astrology. It justified whole signs in a very convincing manner (even though Ali uses Equal, which relative to Ptolemy's seemingly arbitrary method that spawned so much confusion is almost as acceptable).

In every chart, Natal, Solar Return, Mundane, Horary and Electional a separating aspect indicates something in the past.

"But it's a Natal Chart, I don't have a past."

Yes, you do.

The time from Conception to Birth, and even before that. Your parents already had problems and issues before you were born, so you're not the cause or the problem.

I've been of a small mind toward this element of astrology until now, taking its indications of past influences for granted. Essentially astrology has potential for uncovering past unknowns as well as being prescient. The ancients built the framework for a time machine... such a thing really would need an engine on a cosmic scale. The span of its power encompasses the duration of the gears. That's what functioning astrology could be, a time machine. Jeez. I'm glad I picked up that Llewellyn ephemeris and delineation guide 2 years ago, all initial skepticism aside.

I think you're doing it. Mercury in Virgo is pushing management on Mars. I use Egyptian Terms and not Ptolemy's Pterms or Lily's Terms. Mercury is in the Bound of Mars, so Mars receives Mercury and is granting Mercury permission to act.

Uh, you are rational, right? That's a good thing. The 9th is Cadent, and so kind of weak, but a trine outranks a sextile -- where Moon is Angular (especially here since it's a right sextile and a right trine).

I can be rational but it does not come as naturally as visual understanding. Which is a shame because my eyesight is going and I'm only 22, I'm blaming that on PoF conjunct Antares.

Is this a good article for understanding Bounds? http://altairastrology.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/termsbounds-and-appearance/

Once Planets separate from an aspect, they're done.

Some of the texts suggest that so long as they are still in Moiety Orb, there's a lasting effect. I dispute that, because I don't see it, and because half the words in Romanian are Latin and the connotation or message those particular Latin words convey is of an imprint or impression.

I don't know squat about Greek, Arabic or Farsi, so I can't speak to those texts.

It's a "lasting impression," and not a "lasting effect." Is that splitting hairs? I don't know. I'd settle for "lingering effect" (less permanence).

I suppose it depends on what kind of impression or effect was made and whether the native were more receptive to such an impression or likely to forget it like last week's breakfast. In any case I understand it's a past tense but does it continue being past tense in a fourth dimensional sense? What I mean is, does it affect the perceptive lens the native views the past through? The past being the arc of events flowing away from now. Or, does it only represent a singular event(s) of past influence? Talk about splitting hairs :unsure:

Retrograde Saturn in your 1st House would make you "too slow and "too stubborn" (but not because Saturn is in the 1st House, rather because Saturn participates with Moon, Mercury and the Ascendant Point Ruler in determining your mannerisms and characteristics).

With Virgo Mercury in the 9th, you're not "too slow" rather you're reserved and try to avoid making hasty decisions.

I am very deliberate whenever I have the choice to be. I hate being forced to hurry anything. I can conversely be extremely hasty. To illustrate I remember being in 4th grade at a private Catholic elementary school, the fire alarm went off and I was on the third floor. I panicked, bolted out of the room and down 2 flights of stairs soon as the first high pitched wail went off and was the first person out of the building before most of the classes had even emptied. I got in trouble for not lining up with my classmates and felt a bit cowardly but was also pretty impressed with my own agility under stress. I didn't have much compassion for those classmates anyway and was a social pariah.

Where stress causes most to freeze up, it electrifies me.

The Mars thing, well, the first applying aspect Moon makes is to Mars, so that's the kind of woman that you'd idealize, at least initially.

Mhm, I've always fallen for women with strong Cancerian traits.

I'd write more but this post is long enough.

Culpeper

Premium Member
Saturn looks well placed in your chart. I was just reviewing my Hellenistic astrology. When Saturn is in Sect in its dignity and in an angular house it can be very helpful to the native. Its good qualities will mostly be evident.

The grand trine is very good if you make use of it. This configuration will not force you to take advantage of opportunities.

In a day chart Mars is out of Sect and becomes the chief malefic. This is the planet you must watch out for. This will be most evident in years when Mars is time lord of the chart.

E

eternalautumn

charmvirgo, traditional astrology is extremely balanced, much more so than modern methods. It takes a bit of study to realize it, but when you do, it's beautiful.

I agree with your idea of planetary opposites and balance, but I must make a correction. Saturn and Mars, the Greater and Lesser Malefics, are balanced by Jupiter and Venus, the Greater and Lesser Benefics. The Moon is balanced by the Sun and does not participate in this regard. Saturn, whose nature is cold and dry (earth), is balanced by Jupiter, whose nature is hot and wet (air). Mars, whose nature is hot and dry (fire), is balanced by Venus, whose nature is cold and wet (water).

Also, determining the strengths of the planets is not a "competition", but rather a method of determining how a specific planet will manifest in a particular chart. Essential dignity influences the positive or negative qualities of a planet, and accidental dignity influences the ability of a planet to manifest it's qualities. Essential is "quality", accidental is "quantity". Balance, again.

Last edited: