1st quadrant.....outer planets?

I cee

I was just wondering if having the outer planets in the first quadrant means anything?
Obviously it means something:)....I mean as looking at the chart as a pattern or picture.
In trad astrology this area would be virtually empty?.....just a thought
Does anyone else have this?

miquar

Hi Icee. The first quadrant is concerned with experiencing and expressing oneself very much as an individual, so the outer planets here suggests that this will be a source of ongoing transformation - whether its the exercise of the personal will (1st house), acquiring that which provides a sense of personal security and worth (2nd house) or developing one's own personal way of understanding one's environment (3rd house). All three houses are about what the individual likes to do when not constrained by social factors - this separates this quadrant from the other three.

The outer planets can still be projected outwards of course - for example Pluto in the 2nd may be experienced as a threat to one's security, Pluto in the 1st a threat to one's autonomy, and Pluto in the 3rd a threat to one's freedom to learn.

When doing a planet count of the quadrants, it is certainly relevant to note if all of the outers are in one quadrant, especially of the other planets are all in other quadrants. Its very paradoxical to have the outer planets in the most individualised quadrant, and there are sure to be adjustments to be made. You'd probably have to ask the native (yourself?) a few questions to get a sense of how things had worked out so far, getting extra clues from aspects between personal planets and the outer planets.

Don't know if this really answers your question.

I cee

. Its very paradoxical to have the outer planets in the most individualised quadrant, and there are sure to be adjustments to be made.

Yes my thoughts too. Outer planets are generational and impersonal but in an area of self expression and self scrutiny...odd.

I'll think about the aspects, like you said and thankyou for your thoughts

Perhaps the outer world has a greater impact on my personal growth and awareness of self, I don't if that makes sense, I mean the outer world effects everyone, but maybe I internalise it more...I'm not sure, I need to think more.

miquar

Yes, like in one sense you're not allowed to be a loner, because the loner part of you is plugged into collective trends. But on the other hand, you may feel especially alone, because you tend to identify with energies that are new and alien to the collective. Its a tricky one to get the head around. Perhaps its better to go at it from the other direction - looking at each planet-house placement, and perhaps imagining how that god or goddess would function in that sphere of life. For example Hades in the first house might plant flowers for others to pick and then wait in hiding for people to make the first move rather than approaching people directly. Ouranus in the second might only appreciate the value of that which is perfect - shunning anything that seems too crude. Neptune in the 3rd might allow tranquillity in the mind at times, but send tidal waves of data at other times. Don't know if these examples make any sense - they're just off the top of my head.

I guess the first three houses are about celebrating one's independence and autonomy. With the outer planets at the celebration, by the time the party's over, you'll have a different take on what independence and autonomy mean.

Its down to you to decide how you give shape to the transpersonal energies of the outer planets, because no one else will tend to interfere with these houses in the way they will with the other 9 houses. But then being a channel for these energies may not be everyone's idea of independence and autonomy. For a reason I can't quite get a handle on, the phrase 'Free will is the ability to do gladly that which I must' (Jung) comes to mind.

I cee

Yes, like in one sense you're not allowed to be a loner, because the loner part of you is plugged into collective trends. But on the other hand, you may feel especially alone, because you tend to identify with energies that are new and alien to the collective. Its a tricky one to get the head around. Perhaps its better to go at it from the other direction - looking at each planet-house placement, and perhaps imagining how that god or goddess would function in that sphere of life. For example Hades in the first house might plant flowers for others to pick and then wait in hiding for people to make the first move rather than approaching people directly. Ouranus in the second might only appreciate the value of that which is perfect - shunning anything that seems too crude. Neptune in the 3rd might allow tranquillity in the mind at times, but send tidal waves of data at other times. Don't know if these examples make any sense - they're just off the top of my head.

I guess the first three houses are about celebrating one's independence and autonomy. With the outer planets at the celebration, by the time the party's over, you'll have a different take on what independence and autonomy mean.

Its down to you to decide how you give shape to the transpersonal energies of the outer planets, because no one else will tend to interfere with these houses in the way they will with the other 9 houses. But then being a channel for these energies may not be everyone's idea of independence and autonomy. For a reason I can't quite get a handle on, the phrase 'Free will is the ability to do gladly that which I must' (Jung) comes to mind.

Thats making a lot of sense, so the phrase then is really no free will, but being guided by something outside oneself that feels right to the core and then feels like its from me, but not.
A vessel, a channel for the collective.
Thinking this means creativity, a pouring out of expression.
Something bigger than self for the masses from the 'out there'.
I'm still thinking on this, but you've helped me get a grasp of what was in my head!
I'm going to read up more on uranus in my chart, I tend to ignore him.
Thankyou Miquar

miquar

No problem. Your last post reminded me something Liz Greene says in one of her CPA seminar transcripts - that when the outer planets are strong in a chart it takes the native longer to get to grips with who they are. Even though having an outer planet in the first quadrant doesn't, in itself, make it a strong presence in the chart, there perhaps a sense that the outer planets are more intrusive here - like we should have this as a quadrant where we are left to explore life on our own terms - in the way that is an obvious need in a young child.

Having an outer planet in aspect to a personal planet or a luminary is perhaps not quite so paradoxical in this sense, because the luminaries are not associated with these houses, and the inner planets are also associated with houses outside of this quadrant. With an outer planet in the first quadrant there is nowhere else to deflect the energy (for example Venus-Pluto could come out through the Taurus and/or Libra sides of Venus, but a planet in Taurus or the second house is more narrowly focused in terms of the 'astrological alphabet.'

Carter wrote that the first three signs show fire, earth and air in their pure state - Fire being inherently cardinal, earth being inherently fixed, and air being inherently mutable. But that simplicity and purity is rocked, I guess, by outer planet influences on these signs and their corresponding houses. This perhaps goes back to the simplicity of the exploration of that young child mentioned above.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your thoughts.

I cee

No problem. Your last post reminded me something Liz Greene says in one of her CPA seminar transcripts - that when the outer planets are strong in a chart it takes the native longer to get to grips with who they are. Even though having an outer planet in the first quadrant doesn't, in itself, make it a strong presence in the chart, there perhaps a sense that the outer planets are more intrusive here - like we should have this as a quadrant where we are left to explore life on our own terms - in the way that is an obvious need in a young child

This an interesting thought!
Do we ever get to grips with who we truly are, I think thats a lifetimes work, work in progress. And when we think we know, something comes along to say,
'aha, no, not yet'. But then thats just my interpretation and how I see life and maybe thats 'me with the outer palnets in 1st quadrant', a learning curve.

I cee

Having an outer planet in aspect to a personal planet or a luminary is perhaps not quite so paradoxical in this sense, because the luminaries are not associated with these houses, and the inner planets are also associated with houses outside of this quadrant. With an outer planet in the first quadrant there is nowhere else to deflect the energy (for example Venus-Pluto could come out through the Taurus and/or Libra sides of Venus, but a planet in Taurus or the second house is more narrowly focused in terms of the 'astrological alphabet.'

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing your thoughts.

Are you saying that with an aspect to the sun or moon its easily more intergrated into the person?
I don't understand the secong paragraph about the energy not having anywhere else to deflect?
Please could you explain further?
Iv'e been thinking on this for a few days, hence I didn't get back.