Paperback or ebooks for Astrology?

Do you prefer Paper Books or ebooks for study?

• ebooks, you carry more around, easy access

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You can share, swap resell paper books .

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Luney

I'm wondering what would be best to restart my Astology library.
Because there are so many books I want and need , I'm thinking go Kindle.
But it is easier to study with kindle?
I like the thought of a big dusty book case
I can see carrying around big books everywhere is outdated, and heavy..
Ebooks or Paper ones?
Some books may not be available by ebook..

I'll poll this question too
Cheers Astro's!

Blaze

Account Closed
I prefer paperbacks. Not only does reading from a screen hurt my eyes after awhile, so that's a huge no to reading. But with a paperback I can always be sure my copy I brought is mine, and can add it to my library.

Oddity

I liked hard covers. Just to be perverse. My sight is so bad now that I can no longer read regular books, though. I can read e-books, if I crank up the font. So it usually goes buy the e-book, occasionally buy the paperback and scan it, if there's DRM in an ebook, strip it. Convert the lot to PDF (not piracy, but bitter memories of the Microsoft-LIT disaster). And back it up in dropbox as well as on a USB stick.

Senecar

I prefer paper books. E-books slow down my computer / phones / ipad if they are over 300 - 400 pages long. Sometimes they keep crashing too.

Paper book collections can get bulky and take up lot of space of my rooms, but I feel I actually own them. With Ebooks somehow I feel I don't own them even if I had paid for them. Strange.

Having said that if I am traveling, ebooks do the job in my ipad and phone.

Rawiri

In actual fact I prefer physical books.

But practically, since I travel a fair bit...I mostly use e-books. Lugging a bunch of physical books around gets old real fast. Especially when they're on weird topics and you never know when customs might decide to take a look.

[When I was younger, I would smuggle books on the occult into Saudi Arabia and hope beyond all hope that this time wasn't a time they'd want to look]

I actually get slightly annoyed nowadays when books aren't available in a digital format...to the point I've even messaged some authors before and asked to purchase a digital version of their work (they normally still have the original copies they wrote). Sometimes they are obliging...

Luney

In actual fact I prefer physical books.

But practically, since I travel a fair bit...I mostly use e-books. Lugging a bunch of physical books around gets old real fast. Especially when they're on weird topics and you never know when customs might decide to take a look.

[When I was younger, I would smuggle books on the occult into Saudi Arabia and hope beyond all hope that this time wasn't a time they'd want to look]

I actually get slightly annoyed nowadays when books aren't available in a digital format...to the point I've even messaged some authors before and asked to purchase a digital version of their work (they normally still have the original copies they wrote). Sometimes they are obliging...

Oh my Goodness.. having to smuggle books over the border. ! i can understand your fear though. What would have happened if you were caught?

secondly , yes I'm finding that ebooks are not very accessible, especially the ones I want . I'm going Overseas in 4 weeks. I need something to take to read.

Luney

I liked hard covers. Just to be perverse. My sight is so bad now that I can no longer read regular books, though. I can read e-books, if I crank up the font. So it usually goes buy the e-book, occasionally buy the paperback and scan it, if there's DRM in an ebook, strip it. Convert the lot to PDF (not piracy, but bitter memories of the Microsoft-LIT disaster). And back it up in dropbox as well as on a USB stick.

Ok , I see your point (with glasses on) .. My eyes are bad too. the font has to be big. .. Another thing you can do, is you can convert to acessibility audio read.on ipad or phone. although they sound robotic..
So converting books into word, they think you are plagerising. oh dear..:surprised:
(I have a copied file on word document I better move it onto a USB today..that's a great idea.. that way you have the book and an e copy.. Kudos!:lol:

Luney

Howsthe Irony in this !

My friend lend me an old book to read on Rising signs. the book had tape holding it together.
I went and sat down the park to read and a gust of wind took 15 pages and scattered them all the way down to the river... Into the river! :crying:
is this a sign? I have to tell my friend now.. I hope she laughs! :biggrin:

Blaze

Account Closed
Howsthe Irony in this !

My friend lend me an old book to read on Rising signs. the book had tape holding it together.
I went and sat down the park to read and a gust of wind took 15 pages and scattered them all the way down to the river... Into the river! :crying:
is this a sign? I have to tell my friend now.. I hope she laughs! :biggrin:

....Did this play while you chased the papers?

Joking aside, that is something.

Rawiri

Oh my Goodness.. having to smuggle books over the border. ! i can understand your fear though. What would have happened if you were caught?

secondly , yes I'm finding that ebooks are not very accessible, especially the ones I want . I'm going Overseas in 4 weeks. I need something to take to read.

The penalty for "proven" involvement in such would typically be public death, by beheading.

So that is what I was considering could have happened.

As I was younger and foreign, I would like to have thought my embassy would have stepped in (or tried to, anyway) if something really did happen, though.

Maybe I would've got very lucky and just got lashings and caused deportation and the loss of a job for my father.

Luckily I never had to find out. :bandit:

Kscar

I prefer paper books, though my collection ended up destroyed years ago... So I have e-books and PDF files... Lame.

Luney

The penalty for "proven" involvement in such would typically be public death, by beheading.

So that is what I was considering could have happened.

As I was younger and foreign, I would like to have thought my embassy would have stepped in (or tried to, anyway) if something really did happen, though.

Maybe I would've got very lucky and just got lashings and caused deportation and the loss of a job for my father.

Luckily I never had to find out. :bandit:

your not wrong! risky business! hehe.. things we tend to risk when we are young and a bit nieve , worry about consequences arnt usually a priority.. but Wow..! so glad your here my friend! :cool:

Luney

I prefer paper books, though my collection ended up destroyed years ago... So I have e-books and PDF files... Lame.

ok, so you miss your books. i had a similar experience years ago. And i'm still not happy about it. i'm using PDF at the moment waiting for books to arrive from the UK. there's something special about owning your own paper books.. :wink:

Senecar

In my experience, e-books are ok if they are up to about 300 - 400 pages long book even 500 - 600 pages can get by maybe, but over 700 pages long books tend to crash with black screen on mobile devices like ipads.

Desktop or laptop computers can handle them ok.