Which is worse? A planet exalted with poor aspect vs. in rulership with poor aspect?

GemwDepth

Account Closed
I started this thread in another section, but it really belongs to traditional delineation with various weights.

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121323

One source says: “When a planet is in its rulership, it is strong—all of its significations, both positive and negative, are strengthened. When a planet is exalted, the planet has less brute strength but provides more refined results.” I do not have sources here as its copied online, but the underlying points are derived traditionally. I take this to mean a planet in rulership empowers the good and worsens poor aspects, while a planet in exaltation minimize the negative effect of poor aspects due to better control and operations of the planet in the exalted sign.

I know everything is a case-by-case basis, but prefer demonstration to understand the why and the nuance. So here is a Saturn example in exalation, rulership, fall and peregrine. Of the below, how would you rank it from the least harmful, to most harmful to a native? Why?

Saturn in Libra square Venus in Cancer
Saturn in Capricorn square Venus in Libra
Saturn in Cancer square Venus in Aries
Saturn in Sagittarius square Venus in Pisces

If you have time, explain how you would envision each manifesting in a person's life.

The biggest toss up I can't make up my mind on is between 'Saturn in Libra square Venus in Cancer' and 'Saturn in Capricorn square Venus in Libra'.

Here is my interpretation: The first aspect, due to Saturn's exaltation in Libra, means there is a conflict between Saturn ruled areas and Venus ruled areas, with Saturn excelling and Venus less strong and hence its interests are in lesser priority than Saturnian interests. But Venus isn't weak or in fall, so it doesn't exactly suffer, but just put in a lower priority than Saturn. In the second case, both are in rulership, and both are equally strong. This can manifest in a situation where a native excels in 2 areas, yet energy is split and are in perpetual conflict. Or likely the native has extremely strong desires due to rulership and both signs being cardinal, but use perverse ways to get it (square). It seems to me the 'Saturn in Libra square Venus in Cancer'—the exalted planet with poor aspect, and the other planet not further debilitated—poses less challenges to a native's life.

Note this is a hypothetical question simplified to understand strength of an aspect colored by 1-3 other factors.

Any step-by-step enlightenment on how things are weighed are appreciated.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
It depends on placement and superiority, and the topic you are investigating (some signs and places indicate one thing, others indicate another). You need to factor dexter or sinister aspects (https://books.google.bg/books?id=Gj...YsKHbzzDwcQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false), as well as those signs which are commanding and obeying.

Saturn in Capricorn square Venus in Libra is harmonious, because Venus is overcoming Saturn while both are in their domiciles. The person having this configuration in succedent or angular houses will succeed in business, and will gain livelihood (for example in the 38th year), except that his affairs will suffer due to Venus being in changeable sign (especially in the profection years where Venus transmits to Saturn - 16th, 28th, 40th etc. years). If the stars are cadent, then only the negative indication will apply, and more strongly.

Saturn in Libra square Venus in Cancer is similar to the previous, although slightly worse. Saturn in Cancer square Venus in Aries is much worse, such person will suffer base affairs, abuse, separations, harm from relationships or lawsuits, unless Jupiter is closely configured with Venus by day, in which case the results are milder.

Saturn in Sagittarius square Venus in Pisces is inharmonious, although not the worst, due to the square being like-engirding (sharing the same ruler) and Venus being exalted. Saturn in Aries square Venus in Cancer would be worst, unless Jupiter is angular from the configuration by day. If Mars is angular from Saturn and Venus, the indications are worse.

Example - Libra Rising, Saturn at 3 Capricorn, Venus at 2 Aries, Mars in Gemini. The native had a divorce and a second marriage, due Aries being changeable and passionate, and due to the superior ray of Saturn by night, and due to the ruler of VII and Venus being in a double-bodied sign.
Another example - Sagittarius Rising, Jupiter at 1 Sagittarius, Saturn at 17 Sagittarius, Mars at 3 Gemini, Mercury at 13 Virgo, Venus at 23 Virgo. The native had a divorce, due to Mars in Gemini, a double-bodied sign, and due to the ruler being enclosed by malefic rays in a double-bodied sign, while Venus was in a double-bodied sign and in depression.

I have not treat of commanding and obeying (counter-antiscia) on the forum before. The following Hellenistic technique works in a sidereal zodiac. The commanding are beholding, the obeying are listening, which the astrologers set as:
https://i.imgur.com/4GndZI3.jpg

The commanding images are diurnal, while the obeying images are nocturnal. Every image decreasing light obeys the image increasing light. It is better for good stars to be commanding, especially on the right and with the summer solstice. Because of the precession of the equinoxes and the discovery of antipodes, we shall set forward the following theorems:
Libra obeys Leo in the north and commands it in the south.
Scorpio obeys Cancer in the north and commands it in the south.
Sagittarius obeys Gemini in the north and commands it in the south.
Capricorn obeys Taurus in the north and commands it in the south.
Aquarius obeys Aries in the north and commands it in the south.

Therefore in addition to superiority by preceding in diurnal motion, we shall also examine superiority according to the seasons, especially in those places where the change of weather is more pronounced, those above and below the equatorial zone. Taking the aforementioned nativity from Europe, it is clear that the malefic contrary to the sect - the Fiery One, is strongly afflicting Jupiter and Saturn, especially due to the stars being in the contrary solstices according to sect. Indeed, hemming with burning heat, it caused grief from marriage and from siblings later in life (due to setting in the west).

Last edited:

GemwDepth

Account Closed
Thank you very much. I’ll spend some time looking into dexter and sinister aspects and commanding and obeying aspects.

JUPITERASC

Thank you very much.

I’ll spend some time looking into dexter and sinister aspects

and commanding and obeying aspects.
dexdom.gif
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/aspects.html#sd