saturn in 4th house and the late years

waybread

Saturn is Dr. Reality Check. He is the great teacher of the horoscope. If you learn his lessons, I think you can have a contented old age. (I am in my early 60s.)

You really have to look at how Saturn is aspected. If it's making nice trines and sextiles, you probably don't feel Saturn as problematic. If Saturn squares or opposes a personal planet; or if it conjuncts Mars or an outer planet, then you might feel it as particularly troublesome.

Saturn can show where we feel inadequate, not good enough. In the 4th, especially if stressed, it can indicate a difficult childhood.

But everyone has Saturn somewhere in her chart. With somebody else, it might be marital or money troubles. Which would you prefer?

Saturn teaches us to be patient, resourceful, and hard-working. These don't sound like much fun, but if you master them to some extent, your chances of having a good old age are much improved. Just for example, how are you planning for your retirement? It may take a lot of self-discipline to put away money each month, but this is the kind of thrift that can lead to obvious benefits later in life.

Saturn teaches us to get a grip on reality. It's no good overspending the credit card thinking "something will turn up." Probably nothing new will turn up. Saturn is the cosmic bill collector.

I have Saturn opposite my sun. This seemed like a great hardship until I realized that I am all of the planets in my horoscope. I needed to own it. To me, Saturn is like the strict teacher that the class didn't particularly like, but who turned out to be correct about many things and who taught excellent life skills.

desperateneptune

i am unfortunately a great spender and i hate planning:sad: i know it's terrible but i always say i ll do it later (retro jupiter in 2nd house)
But if it's about money you save it, if it's about effort you try, if it's about something that you can master through learning and practice you can manage it, but if it is about something that you dont know and you have never seen(like a male model for example) you dont know how to get there- you only have one chance to have a dad, and to learn to feel secure in relationships,you cant practice later something that you have never learned!

star7

well said desperate neptune!
how can we practice or know what to expect when ,we have never had it...gets old making the same mistakes ..in search of....
peace,star

waybread

So far as money goes, I strongly recommend anything by Suze Orman. She has a TV show, a website, and several books which you should be able to find in your public library (in North America, anyway.) She's a financial advisor for people with no money, mistakes under their belt, and no clue about personal finance. And one very funny, sassy lady!

But the basic Saturn lesson would be: don't spend money you don't have. And put money away every month. If you have credit card debt, pay it down first.

desperateneptune

oh god i ll die on the streets lol
It is very difficult for me to do that cause this is all i enjoy! having money to spend on myself (for trips, books, classes). If i put money on the side it will automatically mean that i would wake up, go to work come back and go to sleep again( and you see saturn makes me view home like a grave ). so saturn in the 4 th can actually mean poverty in the late years??
do you know if jupiter in cancer in 2nd house can make it any better?
jupiter is retro though :(

Last edited:

waybread

DN, I am sure you are aware of free or low-cost ways to amuse yourself. The problem isn't so much Saturn in the 4th, as it would seem to be how your Saturn operates in relation to other planets and your 4th house cusp ruler.

Ditto for Jupiter. If it's poorly aspected, let alone retrograde, or the ruler of the house cusp is poorly aspected, it can indicate a spendthrift.

desperateneptune

my saturn makes only bad aspects. it is square ascendant, semi square pluto venus north node conjunction. My 4 th house gusp is in leo- saturn does not aspect sun but it is in 28 degrees leo.
My jupiter trines sun,trines mercury(my chart ruler),trines uranus, trines chiron and squares pluto.
the ruler of my 2nd house is mercury which is conjunct sun and uranus, trine jupiter, semi sextile venus, neptune, pluto and north node and square midheaven. any chance of not being homeless? lol -thanx

Last edited:

positive

Banned
my saturn makes only bad aspects. it is square ascendant, semi square pluto venus north node conjunction. My 4 th house gusp is in leo- saturn does not aspect sun but it is in 28 degrees leo.
My jupiter trines sun,trines mercury(my chart ruler),trines uranus, trines chiron and squares pluto.
the ruler of my 2nd house is mercury which is conjunct sun and uranus, trine jupiter, semi sextile venus, neptune, pluto and north node and square midheaven. any chance of not being homeless? lol -thanx

omg? what is this? Are you afraid now? of your fate? everybody has its fate! just kidding. personally I would not trust everybody in astrologyweeklyforum to be an astrologer.. some are just spread bad energy

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

Hey does anyone else here have a fear of losing their family? I know that everyone in the world does, but what I mean is that, does anyone feel as over-protective of them.
Because that's how I always feel, always worried something might happen to them, so I constantly check on them (via calling them, visiting, etc.).
Just wanted to throw that out there, to see if anyone else felt/feels this way. Or mabye it's just me, since Saturn does square my Mercury and Mars in th 1st.

I love this thread. Yes. I have saturn in the 4th too--conjunct venus both in leo (24' and 23' respectively). Also mercury in the 4th but in virgo. So unfortunately my stellium is in my 4H. Childhood was awful. Even now, contact with my parents can send me reeling into a depression or anxiety attack just depending on what my psyche chooses to do (I never see this coming of course--I guess unresolved trauma).

But I do worry about my later years as I read once that saturn in the 4th will affect your early years and "especially the last epoch of your life". That worries me because my childhood was the hardest thing I have survived to date. I don't know if I can survive something worse than that "in my later years". The good part about saturn in 4th I think for me is that everything beyond my childhood has been a piece of cake. I am more like a kid now than I ever was as a child. The burdens, the pressures, the stress, the depression has all lifted. The pressures and stresses of my adult life are nothing compared to growing up even though I lead a highly stressful job with really no support from family.

But I also wonder if this will affect my own family-my own children--if I ever get them! I don't want to inadvertently ruin them the way my childhood did me. But I do have sun in the 5th and pluto in 5th (hopefully I can find healing through my own crack at motherhood and maybe even transformation by breaking the patterns that I grew up with and starting more positive legacies).

Also, like some others on this thread, I lived apart from extended family during childhood--even though they all lived in the same cities together. My extended family was really my only refuge from my childhood. However, my visits to them would always inevitably have to end and I knew I would have to go home at one point. I feel this is the conjunct venus part (I was able to experience some peace and beauty of how a family "could" be all the while knowing and having to accept that this wasn't my reality--but it gave me hope for the future that maybe life could be happy.)

Well cheers to everyone with saturn in the 4th. It is a hard path to have chosen. God bless all of us now and especially "during the last epoch of our lives".

Last edited:

hermetic

Great thread!
I feel very obliged to contribute here since I feel Saturn is probably the most important planet in my chart.
In my case it is conjunct Pluto in Libra and exactly squaring ascendant. I also have Sun and Mercury in 4th house so, while I wouldn't call my childhood unhappy, it also was not very happy nor carefree. I was a very serious child, always worrying, caring too much about what was going on with the family, and just felt over responsible for everything.
And while my father was and still is present, he was a weak figure that made no positive role model, nor any kind of male figure. With wide orb of Mercury conj Saturn, I sometimes wonder whether my older brother has replaced a father and became a father figure, he sure is very influential and important person for me.
Plus, with no clear male figure and Saturn ruling my 7th house, I keep forming relationships with much older(10-15 years my senior) men, with whom I mostly feel like a little girl.

Bereavement of the father is a common effect of the 4th house Saturn, and this happening with in formative years impacts mental/emotional foundation (another 4th facet) for sure by loss of a primary male role model.

well, I feel this is exactly on spot in my case.

we definately will get there :biggrin: i had a normal family no divorce, no abandonments and a fairly nice life but as time goes by(actually after my first saturn return) i am becoming quite a loner and not really interested in having close relationships with people- its like i was first introduced to saturns influence 4 years ago! that is why i want to know the impact in my later years cause i guess i ll probably go to a monastry lol

I could have written this too. I also feel the potential fear of this life scenario - becoming too bitter, too unhappy, detaching from people because of inability to connect properly(that I already am doing) and while my Saturn return is nearing, I honestly have no idea how to make myself be a happier person with more attachments and more optimistic outlook.
I guess this kind of living might make one resentful, bitter and alone in old age, the kind of description Saturn in 4th is known for.

Saturn is putting frictional pressure on the way you act and approach relationships -the AC/DC axis - so that is directly related (by the square) to any fears/wounds sustained to the inner psyche in childhood. What sign is your Saturn in? That also matters for interpreting your situation.

This is very good explanation and it certainly rings a bell in my case. Although my Saturn is in it's exaltation in Libra, I have yet to feel positive effects of it.

I wish there was someone here with sat in the 4th house at a relatively old age to tell us what his life is like :unsure:
Well, I can tell you my mom has this same placement, Saturn in Virgo in 4th house, not squaring asc though. Well, in her later years, after her 40s-50s were not easy, she struggled with money a lot, inances were never troblesome until then, unemployed and worked hard all kinds of jobs, austere domestic atmosphere with a kids(us) leaving the nest, and not satisfactory relationship with older husband(also saturn 7th house ruler in her case)
Soon after her second Saturn return she was diagnosed with a colon cancer and currently struggling with liver metastases, prognosis not good. She is 61 now. She has not been happy for the last 20ish years, I can tell you that. She suffered much depression, low income and worrying all the time. No wonder at all that she got ill.

Can I have that literature too, Sagi Cap? I am very concerned about my Saturn in 4th late years as well. Also, does anyone know where I can find information about how to interpret a chart for "one's later years"--especially traditional perspective? Someone mentioned that traditional astrologers would look at condition of 2nd 3rd and 4th house together. Where is information on this?

Last edited:

Ixaee

I guess this kind of living might make one resentful, bitter and alone in old age, the kind of description Saturn in 4th is known for.

Whew, that is a scary thought. :unsure: I also have Saturn in the 4th, conjunct Uranus and Mercury.......... (and a square to saturn-- eek, terrible childhood too)

I'd like to be optimistic and believe that Saturn in 4th can make us reclusive, but also esteemed or accomplished in our old ages. The wise old woman who lives in the secluded mountain-top cottage.. :wink:

Hopefully it will be much better than we're imagining..

Last edited:
I wish there was someone here with sat in the 4th house at a relatively old age to tell us what his life is like :unsure:

Ha Ha even I am looking for one.

In my chart Saturn is in 4th house (Leo), I am 33 now. Here are my experiences so far.

Lost my mother in childhood. Have Stepmother. Strict and reserved Father.

Incomplete education. Work from home. Unstable career.

Do let me know if someone has same placement.

Last edited:
I can join to this saturn in 4th house club too. I have retrograde saturn together but not conjunct with pluto in scorpio square with Asc and trine with moon. My childhood and adolescence wasn't great, full of loneliness and abusing. I had bad relationships with my father and I think I had strong influence from him which I tried to get rid (almost done). Now I'm 26 and my life goes better. Hope, My old years wouldn't be so crazy :whistling: :biggrin: .

desperateneptune

Great thread!
I feel very obliged to contribute here since I feel Saturn is probably the most important planet in my chart.
In my case it is conjunct Pluto in Libra and exactly squaring ascendant. I also have Sun and Mercury in 4th house so, while I wouldn't call my childhood unhappy, it also was not very happy nor carefree. I was a very serious child, always worrying, caring too much about what was going on with the family, and just felt over responsible for everything.
And while my father was and still is present, he was a weak figure that made no positive role model, nor any kind of male figure. With wide orb of Mercury conj Saturn, I sometimes wonder whether my older brother has replaced a father and became a father figure, he sure is very influential and important person for me.
Plus, with no clear male figure and Saturn ruling my 7th house, I keep forming relationships with much older(10-15 years my senior) men, with whom I mostly feel like a little girl.

well, I feel this is exactly on spot in my case.

I could have written this too. I also feel the potential fear of this life scenario - becoming too bitter, too unhappy, detaching from people because of inability to connect properly(that I already am doing) and while my Saturn return is nearing, I honestly have no idea how to make myself be a happier person with more attachments and more optimistic outlook.

This is very good explanation and it certainly rings a bell in my case. Although my Saturn is in it's exaltation in Libra, I have yet to feel positive effects of it.

Well, I can tell you my mom has this same placement, Saturn in Virgo in 4th house, not squaring asc though. Well, in her later years, after her 40s-50s were not easy, she struggled with money a lot, inances were never troblesome until then, unemployed and worked hard all kinds of jobs, austere domestic atmosphere with a kids(us) leaving the nest, and not satisfactory relationship with older husband(also saturn 7th house ruler in her case)
Soon after her second Saturn return she was diagnosed with a colon cancer and currently struggling with liver metastases, prognosis not good. She is 61 now. She has not been happy for the last 20ish years, I can tell you that. She suffered much depression, low income and worrying all the time. No wonder at all that she got ill.

All the best for your mum

desperateneptune

Ha Ha even I am looking for one.

In my chart Saturn is in 4th house (Leo), I am 33 now. Here are my experiences so far.

Lost my mother in childhood. Have Stepmother. Strict and reserved Father.

Incomplete education. Work from home. Unstable career.

Do let me know if someone has same placement.

i am 34 with leo sat- incomplete education and unstable career is what i have experienced so far- after sat return my life got lonely and boring- i usually stay at home after work which for me is something i can not deal with easily- i never used to spend anytime at home i hate housework. I can not imagine that i will be more ''closed up'' in the later years :)