rulership, exaltation, term, face etc

Serendipity

relationship horary... if the significator is in rulership or exaltation of the other that means they usually love the other person right?
what would term, face and triplicity mean? and which is stronger.....
Also if a planet is in fall or detriment of the others significator does that mean the person does not like them?

RayAustin

Very good Olivia,
Is it okay if I quote this when writing the love sticky?
( Rather than re-invent the wheel ... :) )

R

SagiCap

How do Olivia's posts all vanish? And why only hers? It's a shame, we could learn a lot from reading her posts.

Culpeper

Premium Member
Olivia was unhappy over something in one of her last posts. She seems to have deleted all her posts and left the forum. When people do that, threads may not make sense anymore. If you find something helpful on the forum, be sure to save it, otherwise you may not find it again.

SagiCap

Olivia was unhappy over something in one of her last posts. She seems to have deleted all her posts and left the forum. When people do that, threads may not make sense anymore. If you find something helpful on the forum, be sure to save it, otherwise you may not find it again.

Thank you.

I feel we were always gifted when she explained concepts in her helpful way. It's a shame. :(

Off to copy BobZ's posts..... :)

SagiCap

sorry I've missed the deleted posts on this thread... but I've been browsing for the answer and still can't understand because people give contradictory answers...

my doubt is, in the above situation, take this example: jupiter in taurus (sign of moon's exaltation). is jupiter the one who likes moon or moon the one who like jupiter??? i find this very hard to understand... i've found an argument that jupiter would be like a guest in moon's house, so moon likes jupiter, but i've also found the argument that jupiter exalts moon (whatever that means exactly...)

can you clarify this pls?

I agree. People give many, many contradictory answers. I've found this hindering my understanding as well. The solution? Don't listen to anyone who doesn't back up statements with outcomes. Go back to the books. Look at charts with outcomes and only take those as your proof. I've seen "experts" give contradictory meaning and even fight about it, only to read the outcome was completely different still. Horary is a massively interpretive art and no one will be completely correct. We need to post more outcomes to even begin to understand. As far as I'm concerned a horary without an outcome posted is storytelling.

MaeMae

Banned
sorry I've missed the deleted posts on this thread... but I've been browsing for the answer and still can't understand because people give contradictory answers...

my doubt is, in the above situation, take this example: jupiter in taurus (sign of moon's exaltation). is jupiter the one who likes moon or moon the one who like jupiter??? i find this very hard to understand... i've found an argument that jupiter would be like a guest in moon's house, so moon likes jupiter, but i've also found the argument that jupiter exalts moon (whatever that means exactly...)

can you clarify this pls?

jupiter likes everyone first. moon finds comfort in conjunction or reception. she can be open and relaxed with jupiter in these instances. moon lets her hair down. all the way down. jupiter doesn't complain.

Last edited:

MaeMae

Banned
absolutely.
moon most important in horary.
moon is queen.
either it pleases her, or she disapproves or has indifference. one must know where they stand.
that is why moon's last and next aspect in horary, as well as her condition to the knights, slaves, army and king, is so important in question.

Last edited:

MaeMae

Banned
cute sag - if you understand chess, you can understand horary.
see how she protects kingdom (and near-worthless king = ego) by knowing what the other pieces are doing and their general m.o.
if theyvare working on her behalf, then she is a powerful, content queen ~ if they are working against her or allowing intruders or threat, she must be able to distinguish.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Here's the skinny on reception since I see some of you are confused about the differing ideas of it. We'll take the current Jupiter in Taurus as an example.

The planet who rules the sign is the one who is receiving the planet in the sign. Signs of the Zodiac are considered houses of the planets. To have a planet in the sign of another is like having that planet in another planet's house. They take a host and guest relationship where the host planet must care for the guest planet. For the above example of Jupiter in Taurus, this means that Venus must do what she can for Jupiter. Jupiter is in her house and she has to get him drinks, show him where the bathroom is, etc. For the Jupiter in the exaltation of the Moon, think of it as the guest of the guest of honor at a party.

As far as relationships go, planets in reception do not signify love or like, they typically signify willingness. Granted, there is some overlap there. In this example, Venus and the Moon (as exaltation ruler) are willing to do whatever Jupiter wants to do. We'd have to look at where the Moon is to see if the willingness is returned by Jupiter.

As far as the definition of reception being reversed (Jupiter in Taurus "exalting the Moon and thus being the one interested in the Moon instead of the Moon being interested in him), that's a more modern misunderstanding of reception. The tradition has been pretty consistent on which way the relationship is going with planets in reception.

cutesag said:
I noticed that in the above no mention is made of conjunction. Does anyone know if we can apply to above to the case of conjunction?

Conjunctions aren't mentioned because they need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. It would mostly depend on the planetary pair that is being united. Saturn and Venus? Probably bad. Jupiter and the Sun? Probably good.

Aquarius358

In the realm of relationships, the direction of feeling (call it that) is crucial.

I agree. And this is where the quality of reception comes in.
I also think the actual words that people use in posts affects your understanding of it. Some people use passive language and others use active. It's always easier to understand the active language : Planet X receives Planet Y (not Planet Y is received by Planet X.)
I just wanted to say something about what I've read and experienced about the KIND of reception it is. So the sentence becomes :
Planet X receives Planet Y BY ... (Sign, Triplicity etc).

John Frawley (in The Horary Textbook) put forward his description/interpretation of the degrees of the nature of "receiving" because, logically, we do love or like people in differing degrees. For instance, he put "Exaltation" reception as being "on a pedestal" and then goes on to say, we all know what happens when we put someone on a pedestal - viz they often fall off! Not always, but often.

There's great debate between astrologers about this but I quite like Frawley's descriptions/interpretation - which can be applied to questions about jobs etc too, or a house you're buying etc. He notes:

RECEPTION BY SIGN (ie in "domicile") signifies genuine / strong liking. The best. Love, if you like.
RECEPTION BY EXALTATION signifies on a pedestal / over the moon about them etc but it might not last (I've seen this soooo many times in charts where the relnship has not lasted. It also involves 'expectations' too.)
RECEPTION BY TRIPLICITY signifies a lesser degree than by Sign & Exaltn - best described as a kind of strong liking but nowhere near as strong as real love. This could be for many reasons - including the fact that they're a cautious person.
RECEPTION BY TERM being weaker still ... tolerating 'em.
and BY FACE, well, practically nothing at all.

I've often thought about assessing the 'RECEPTION BY' stuff with a numerical value I guess (just for ease of communication) where you could have, say -
a) +10 = LOVE, the grand passion, the intense, overwhelming feeling of 'I don't want to live without that person' kind of feeling. The top feeling about whatever.
b) +8 to Exaltation type of love - still the grand passion, intensity etc but with a warning of having too many high expectations and with the possibility that it may not last.
c) +5 to Triplicity - like them as mates, have a great time hangin' out but they're not "the one" you want to spend the rest of your life with.
d) +4 to Term - as for c) but not willing to spend as much of your time with them.
e) +2 to Face - barely interested, but willing to be polite and maybe go to a party but not willing to be "the one" for you.
f) Minus 5 for 'reception' by Fall : You'll probably "Fall" and lose interest quickly.
g) Minus 8 for 'reception' by Detriment : They're going to end up being bad for you - best to get out of this relationship/job.

SagiCap

Guys, help! I think the whole Astro community needs to make a ruling. I've done 2 love horaries lately. 1 had quesited in querent's sign. The other had the reverse. I'm too ready to give up on horary for the reason of the reception debate. We need to make case examples - a hundred of them to clear up the "who lives whom" debate for good. I call a motion. Who seconds it?!!!

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Sagicap said:
Guys, help! I think the whole Astro community needs to make a ruling. I've done 2 love horaries lately. 1 had quesited in querent's sign. The other had the reverse. I'm too ready to give up on horary for the reason of the reception debate. We need to make case examples - a hundred of them to clear up the "who lives whom" debate for good. I call a motion. Who seconds it?!!!

Just think of the Signs as houses of the planets and you can't go wrong.