Indication of eating disorders

Lunar Pisces

Hi, I haven't been around for a while so I apologize if there's a recent thread about this already. I looked around a bit and didn't see one.

Anyhow, while I haven't been doing much astrology lately, in the past I've done a lot with various psychological disorders but I never did much with eating disorders. But the astrological question has come up recently so I've been doing a bit of research.

So here's what I'm go so far:

By EDs I mean any ED - anoeria nervosa, anorexia bulimia, complusive overeating, and any other ED on the spectrum. EDs often hinge on issues of anxiety and control stemming from childhood. The root cause may be an unstable homelife as a young child, a severe lack of parental nuturing, or sexual abuse or other trauma that impact the child's sense of self, sense of personal security and ability to form healthy, stable relationships. Influence from media culture regarding body image may be a secondary cause. Control issues and unfulfilled emotional needs are usually central to the manifestation of any ED. People with EDs often hide their illness through deception and isolation, and fear seeking help because they fear losing control.

The main astro bodies I think are mostly linked to an ED are:

- Venus: one's sense of worthiness and lovability, of being accepted and loved, of personal and emotional fulfillment, and of personal ideals about love and relationships

- Moon: one's sense of emotional self and personal security, of maternal relationships and nuturing, of emotional perceptions of others and the world

- Ceres: represents a maternal archtype possessing a crossover Venusian-Lunar character, but more specifically related to nuturing in early childhood, and to food, home and clothing (i.e., items of personal security) , Ceres represnt both how we nuture and how we recieve nturing from others

I would start looking at these first. I would take special note if they are afflicted, are in any of the social signs or houses, or afflicted by planets in these signs or houses. Also, I seems when Venus or the Moon are singletons, and esp when in a social sign or house, this may be a stong idicators as well.

How other bodies might contibute to an ED:

-Sun: afflicted Sun may weaken one's "masculine" identity and making them more reliant on their Lunar-Venusian side.

-Mercury: if afflicted this may indicate problems with communication that compound problems with emotional fulfillment and relationships; in some cases this may indicate further pychological problems, like bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder

- Mars: if afflicted, esp if in Cancer, this seems to cause the person to seek alternative and potentially self-destructive ways of dealing with body image, control issues, anger and aggression. From my cursory look at charts of people with EDS, Mars seems manifest differently for men than with women. Men with EDs and an afflicted Mars seem highly likely to engage is excessive execising and/or be "workaholics". Also, I have one chart where the man's Venus and moon are both so afflicted that his otherwise diginified Cap Mars seems to be overcompensating - he's an anorexic who runs 5-10 miles almost every day in addition to working a 10-12 hour shift five days a week. With women, an afflicted Mars seems more likely encourage irratic behavior, mood swings and angry meltdowns, especially relating to control issues.

- Jupiter: if afflicting any of the above three bodies, it may contribute to irrational and exaggerated thoughts and give "expansive" qualities to one's perception of flaws or needs; the person may have genuine trouble understanding how life treatening an ED is to them

- Saturn: if afflicting, seems to place considerable emphasis of the control issues relating to the ED; this seems to make the person even more avoidant about getting help, as there's a perception that whatever is wrong with them, them must correct it themselves - a very irrational degree of self-reliancy that can be utlimately more harmful; also Saturn may increase feeling of isolation and loneliness, and may contribute to depression. May also indicate trauma or neglect from parents.

- Neptune: very likely to contribute to deceptive and avoidant behavior; also Neptune could definitely contribute to a feelings of unfulfillment, helplessness, isolation and loneliness that would fuel any ED - take note if its a Singleton, on an angle, aspecting Sun or moon, or in social signs or houses. May also indicate deep psychological trauma.

- Uranus: like Saturn, it mat fuel a rebellious desire o be self-relaiant and thus reject help; potential for irratic behavior also probable, but seems more likely to intensify emotional and personal needs if aspecting Venus or Moon

- Pluto: seems to point to very deep trauma and issues of personal worth and control over self, esp. post traumatic stress disorder. Trauma may or may not be sexual in nature, but if sexual trauma happened, Pluto seems to be an indicator. Pluto may indicate extreme avoidance or the unconscious desire to make oneself unlovable/undesirable through self-sabotaging behavior (like overeating or starving). Take note ifPluto is on an angle, a Singleton, or aspecting Sun or moon.

This is just an initial overview. I only have 10 charts to work with right now, but I'm also drawing from other sources of relevant data. If you have any other data you wish to contribute, please do. Also any charts of people with known EDs would be very helpful (be respectful and protect identities, of course).

Hey

Banned
I read about this in a book before. One aspect they noted was Moon square Saturn.
Moon means nourishment and Saturn is limitation, so you may be limiting your food intake.
Also, eating disorders aren't just anorexia nervosa or bulimia. There's also compulsive overeating or eating of objects, like mud or feces. It happens. Overeating can point to an afflicted Jupiter. Jupiter is expansion, and eating too much may just expand your waistline.

starlink

Hello LP and Hey,
I have a chart of an anorexic and a bulimic girl (used to be and who knows, probably still could fall back, still terribly skinny both). They are sisters.

The Anorexic one has: Moon in Capricorn on the Ascendant, opposed to Jupiter in 7, trine Saturn. Her Venus in Scorpio on the MC, squares Mars (very bad problems with the mother, straditionally 10th house rules Mother, so Mars rules her. Her 6th house ruler is Mercury (Gemini) but Mercury is in Sagittarius and trines Mars and inconjuncts Jupiter.

The bulimic one also has Moon conjunct the Ascendant (this one same degree as the Ascendant and she still is the most emotionally critical one of the two sisters) and opposed to Saturn in Cancer (food) in the 6th.
Her Venus also squares Mars (she has the same chart division as her sister, so also has Scorpio on MC). Her Mars also squares the MC. Her Saturn squares Pluto (modern ruler of MC) and Sun, but sextiles Venus and MC.
Ruler of her 6th house is Mercury (Gemini).

Mother is an Aries by the way, so also ruled by Mars.

In charts from overweigth children I have always found Moon-Jupiter and Jupiter ruler of the 6th house. Also in same chart Venus in Taurus.

Cheers, Star.

Jeremy

I have no direct experience to add here :) except to say that Moon ascending will give fluctuating weight issues of course. My good friend who has Scorpio Moon rising is very thin and always has been, but I've always put that down to Scorpio Moon's tendency to undernourish themselves, they are the born ascetic right? I find Cancer ascendants to be very tied up with weight issues too, so the Moon is certainly a key consideration (and Jupiter as you say) and the opp. to Saturn has to be a clue.

I have worked with several people who have issues with being overweight, what I do know is that Saturn in Cancer as you say has been a feature, especially when in the first. This placement also tends to dipsomania, and alcohol is very often a trigger for obesity. Moon in Cancer similarly gives rapid weight gain.

Capricorn and Scorpio, especially when connected with Moon are signals for deprivation, undernourishment, particularly with hard aspects to the Asc.

I would be interested to look at a chart, because the midpoints to any hard aspect of the Ascendant and the Pluto degree are going to be significant.

I use to limit my food a lot when I was concerned over my body image. Although I was never anorexic in the extreme case. My sister can eat compulsively and has gained a lot of weight over the years but she has been losing some of it again.

My Chart Saturn/Virgo/Asc. Pisces emphasis Moon square Neptune. Pluto in 2nd square Venus.

Sisters chart Saggitarius emphasis, Pluto/Saturn in 2nd. Moon square Mars in 4th. Venus/Uranus.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Lunar pisces,
I am wondering if you have considered looking at the position/aspects of Ceres in the charts of those with eating disorders? My ceres is in Scorpio- I have always been a very frugal eater-. I am however 55kilos in weight (5ft 1"), so not exactly thin, but lean. When younger I experienced some temporary and fairly minor eating *issues*-not exactly disorders-nothing was ever diagnosed, but I feel it is connected to my ceres/Saturn in scorpio.
Cheers, Lillyjgc

hermetic

I am still just learning astrology but since I've had lots of contacts with eating disorders, I would like to add my 2c.

- Signs Pisces and Virgo are prominent, lots of the girls(and a few guys) I known had their suns in either of those. In Pisces it mainly functions as an addiction, also often associated with the sacrificing oneself in a mystic/religious tone thru food deprivation, in Virgos as perfection seeking, serving others, neglecting oneself - 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me;

- Moon or Saturn in Virgo;

[Karen Carpenter - Sun Pisces opposition Virgo Saturn ]
- Saturn in the 4th, 3 examples for this -again K. Carpenter case; Paula Abdul has saturn in 4th opposition Venus, years of bulimia; Marylin Monroe, bulimia

- Venus badly aspected - from Saturn or Neptune particulary, not feeling deserving of love... perhaps

These are a few aspects I found in some cases, hope it helps. If I remember some more will post.

Speaking of Ceres - how would a Sag Ceres in conj with Mars and Uranus be interpreted in terms of nurturing oneself?

eta - chart of princess Diana, what does everyone think are the main points that signify her bulimia?
http://www.khaldea.com/charts/princessdiana.shtml

Last edited:

hermetic

adding
I've seen many existing eating disorders getting worse, to the point of person wasting away completely, when Saturn transiting 1st house.
and to second Jeremy, Cancer ascendants are definitely weight-troubled, almost every time.

milkywaygirl

hermetic said:
I am still just learning astrology but since I've had lots of contacts with eating disorders, I would like to add my 2c.

- Signs Pisces and Virgo are prominent, lots of the girls(and a few guys) I known had their suns in either of those. In Pisces it mainly functions as an addiction, also often associated with the sacrificing oneself in a mystic/religious tone thru food deprivation, in Virgos as perfection seeking, serving others, neglecting oneself - 2 sides of the same coin if you ask me;

- Moon or Saturn in Virgo;

[Karen Carpenter - Sun Pisces opposition Virgo Saturn ]
- Saturn in the 4th, 3 examples for this -again K. Carpenter case; Paula Abdul has saturn in 4th opposition Venus, years of bulimia; Marylin Monroe, bulimia

- Venus badly aspected - from Saturn or Neptune particulary, not feeling deserving of love... perhaps

These are a few aspects I found in some cases, hope it helps. If I remember some more will post.

Speaking of Ceres - how would a Sag Ceres in conj with Mars and Uranus be interpreted in terms of nurturing oneself?

eta - chart of princess Diana, what does everyone think are the main points that signify her bulimia?
http://www.khaldea.com/charts/princessdiana.shtml

in the case of karen carpenter i dont feel that saturn in virgo is the indicator to look at when considering her eating disorder. although it can be seen as self mastery over the body and does add a "backup" to the other things indicating the disorder, its in the 3rd in her chart. i would think that this saturn placement has more to do with her relationship with her brother than her eating disorder as there are more prominent things in her chart we can attribute that to.

she has sun conjunct pluto in the second house of self worth, sun and pluto making her feel the intense need to control her self in some way. second house can be related to taurus, in the zodiac the moment of realization of a physical body, so sun-pluto in 2nd = control over body.

she also has venus in aquarius in the 8th. aquarius is airy, mental, not interested in food for feelings of happiness. she had no urge towards or interest in food; once in the grips of her disease, it must have felt quite unnatural to try to eat and wasnt pleasurable. 8th house placement indicates this runs very deep and can be taken to an extreme - not eating.

i think its interesting to note her mars and neptune in the 4th - the house of endings. by not eating, she put herself into a position of wasting away, a draining of her energy and everything represented by mars. mars in neptune in 4th is an apt representation of death by starvation in my opinion.

milkywaygirl

hermetic said:
you mean moon conj pluto, right ;)

We might not be looking at the same chart, the one here http://www.khaldea.com/charts/karencarpenter.shtml puts saturn in 4th and mars, neptune in 5th. :confused:

anyway, interesting you write about venus in Aquarius, explains it very well.

heya, yeah i meant moon-pluto, thanks for catching that!

i use equal house, so for me mars/neptune is in 4th and saturn in 3rd.

after posting this i was thinking about it some more, and uranus in cancer on the ascendant coupled with venus in aquarius both point towards a rejection of sorts of some aspect of femininity, possibly the softness and "curviness" of womanliness...

Natasha

Difficult aspects to the moon which have not been resolved seem to be a common factor in people with eating disorders.
Also I have noticed that low amount of earth in the chart AS WELL as the challenged moon.
And in addition no planets retrograde as well as the above two.
But the difficult moon seems to be the first point.
Very often difficulties in the relationship with the mother has not been resolved by the person.
Eating disorders have a tendency to be repeated in the family line - usually down the female side of the family but can also be with some male members of the family as well - I have noticed.

Basically it seems to be about a person having difficulty nurturing themselves in a positive way. A single unresolved heavy experience with the mother (often during a Pluto Moon transit) can trigger the person to go into the eating disorder.

Finding a positive connection to the B M Mother archetype within and without seems to help the person find peace & acceptance of the feminine principal
This enables one to separate ones outer & inner mother from the divine archetype thus reducing the omniscient power the person may see the mother possessing - and thus help the person to see the mother as a mortal human with weakness & problems just like themselves.

Forgiveness of self & the mother can follow this. As I said Pluto and occasionally Saturn seem to be around when these breakthroughs occur

A health crisis whilst a Pluto transit is occurring may sometimes trigger this change if other transits have not done so. The transit which instigates the change is not always to the moon either I have found.

Last edited:

normak

According to sources I've read, my Moon-Jupiter conjunction in Scorpio in the 6th house implies that I will be overweight/put on weight easily. However, I am so obsessive about losing weight and being thin that I have been in the grips of an anorexic/bulimic cycle for the last few years and absolutely refuse to put on even a pound of weight. In fact, I refuse to take meds for my bipolar II diagnosis due to the fact that they slow metabolism and cause people to put weight on that is impossible to later take off. I have always been on the thin side (Gemini ascendant) and the fact that I have a stellium in the 6th house (intercepted by Scorpio) shows an obsession with eating habits (?). So, taking this into account, would the fact that the ruler of my 6th house is Venus in Aquarius, a sign ruled by Saturn (and Uranus) and in square to my Scorpio moon point to the fact that I tend to veer towards underweight/obsessive restriction rather than putting on weight? Is this a correct assumption? Any thoughts? Also, I am unable to find evidence of the bipolar diagnosis in my chart aside from my mercury being placed in Capricorn in the 8th house, causing me to be prone to bouts of depression. I mean, my mercury is sextiling my Scorpio moon (a positive aspect). Any thoughts?

http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cg....gif&res=63&va=&cid=khcfileCzNBgh-u1111612790

R4VEN

normak said:
According to sources I've read, my Moon-Jupiter conjunction in Scorpio in the 6th house implies that I will be overweight/put on weight easily. However, I am so obsessive about losing weight and being thin that I have been in the grips of an anorexic/bulimic cycle for the last few years and absolutely refuse to put on even a pound of weight.
I checked your Ceres placement, and it is at 4deg45' in Scorpio, and so closely conj your Jupiter, and very widely conj your moon. In fact, it's possible that Ceres being here somehow influences your desire to control your body - perhaps as a means of self-nurturing, since Ceres is about nurturing and having the right to be present in this incarnation. Whenever there's an eating disorder present, I usually look to Ceres. (I have Ceres closely conj my moon, both in Cancer and in the 6th, and I had a 10 year eating disorder, which has perhaps never fully gone away.) Eating disorders frequently arise out of a distorted belief that what you are doing (eg. extreme diet and/or exercise) is healthy for you, and is a form of self-nurturing - this can be an outcome of an extreme Ceres placement.

normak said:
the fact that I have a stellium in the 6th house (intercepted by Scorpio) shows an obsession with eating habits (?). So, taking this into account, would the fact that the ruler of my 6th house is Venus in Aquarius, a sign ruled by Saturn (and Uranus) and in square to my Scorpio moon point to the fact that I tend to veer towards underweight/obsessive restriction rather than putting on weight? Is this a correct assumption? Any thoughts?
Probably. And also take into account that Venus is conj your MC - of life direction/path - and also in sextile to Uranus. Perhaps this is the bipolar connection, but it's a wild assumption. For biploar, I look to the close relationships with Uranus - such as conjunctions, squares and oppositions, and in particular to sun and moon, and also when Uranus and/or sun and moon are present in T-squares. I've found a sun-Uranus conjunction or square on the charts of many with bipolar. Bipolar is one of those conditions for which there is no clear and accurate diagnosis, and so I'm sure there are as many wrongly diagnosed with it as there are undiagnosed with it. A lot of people on this board identify Uranus and Mercury with bipolar, but I'm dubious about the Mercury connection. Bipolar is about mood, but Mercury is about thinking - two different things. Mood can arise from thoughts, but can also arise from within the body's cells, and bypass thoughts totally.

freedomlover

hermetic,

Mars conjunct Uranus in Sagittarius might portend either an inner rebellion against exercise and physical fitness, or possibly just a lot of nervous energy that needs an outlet. Ceres conjunct this would indicate that you need to learn to nurture yourself by becoming physically fit. Getting out into nature more is a lesson needing to be learned. The triple conjunction might also point to your learning to nurture your body by not putting it at risk. (Mars/Uranus conj. in Sag can be a very big risk-taker/sports, etc.) One other thing..... Sag is associated with the liver - so detoxing your liver might be of special importance to you.

FL

Last edited:

estrella

normak said:
According to sources I've read, my Moon-Jupiter conjunction in Scorpio in the 6th house implies that I will be overweight/put on weight easily. However, I am so obsessive about losing weight and being thin that I have been in the grips of an anorexic/bulimic cycle for the last few years and absolutely refuse to put on even a pound of weight.

I think that the sources you read were valid. Clearly, you have an issue in the 6th house area of diet-only yours is an obsession not to gain weight. I've noticed in charts that often people overcorrect and overcompensate for what is in the chart. For example, a person with no water in their chart might recognize that that part of their personality is missing and try to overcorrect it by coming across as too sensitive and caring in a way that is smothering.

I've done charts for a lady with an afflicted Neptune in her 6th, and she is morbidly obese. She eats out of psychological problems. She has chiron in the 10th in aspect to Sun in the 12th, Neptune in the 6th, and opposed to pluto in the 4th. Issues relating to her childhood, especially her mother and the self image problems her mother instilled in her, are the root of her overeating disorder.

R4VEN

estrella said:
Issues relating to her childhood, especially her mother and the self image problems her mother instilled in her, are the root of her overeating disorder.
This is very common.

Psychologist Marion Woodman has written a number of books about the psychology of eating disorders - she uses Jungian psychology. Her conclusion, after interviewing many `sufferers' points to the relationship with the mother. So this is moon stuff - where the moon placement - including sign and rulership and any aspects - needs to be examined in those with eating disorders. Ceres also can play a part, because Ceres rules nurturing, and a person's desire about being here, including their sense of having a right to being here.

canaria

I've struggled with Anorexia, with ocassional Bulimic tendencies. My moon, Pluto, and Ceres are in Scorpio, with Pluto square to my sun (Leo) and moon and Pluto trine to my Ascendant (Cancer). I have Chiron in my sun, and I know this was very briefly mentioned in estrella's post, but how else would Chiron play a role as an indicator? I know very little about Chiron, so if someone would be willing to explain, that would be extremely helpful.

Von

Hi Canaria,,
I am very interested in chiron and would like to know what house your chiron is in, (I prefer placidus)if your sun conj. chiron there is already an emotional or physical wound that you wear that certainly could afffect your image of yourself. I have seen quite a few 2nd house chirons with poor self images even when not remotely warranted, although none have had a serious eating disorder.. One was my daughter and I have always been very aware of this position and so far we have been able to avoid anything too serious, but her chiron has all trines to other aspects so this has helped.