Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

pwadm

Staff member
Good thread title, I like it as well...

I can't figure out 10 such don'ts. Instead, I'm going to rely on your help to find them!

I start:

When talking to an astrologer friend, never try to convince him/her about anything by bringing up your natal chart details, such as "I say this because my rising sign is Sagittarius and that means that I like fair play". It never works, only generates a reply like "Yes, but me too, I have..." and then you feel sorry you brought that up.

Ok, your turn!

Last edited by a moderator:

pwadm

Staff member
Another one:

Never use your astrology blindly, but rather seek to use it in a creative way.
Astrology should not stop you from going through different life experiences, but rather be your guide to explore and understand what's going on. Such as refusing to go out with someone just because you saw some squares or oppositions in your synastry or like refusing to do something just because difficulties are foreseeable in the astrology chart. That is bad astrology! All astrology aspects can be used in a creative positive way (especially true for your soul).
Astrology is a complementary way to improve what you're already doing, not to replace what you're doing. Astrology is not spiritual by itself, but it can help you if you're already on the spiritual path.

EJ53

Banned
Never use astrology to avoid taking responsibility for your faults......If others find you agressive, it's due to you behaving aggressively rather than because you have a Pluto/Mars/Uranus/Asc conjunction.....Use astrology to identify and change your inappropriate behaviour rather than to explain or justify it.

aquarius7000

When reading a comment, never take it personally, such as "you're only saying that Radu because I do it"
Excellent point! To add onto it:D, remember that the sign being talked about, which might be your Sun or Asc, 'signs' every chart. Also, often it is the sign that is being discussed not an individual with his 'element X' in it. We should remember that before we become hyper-sensitive and go onto the defensive ever time we read about a sign's naughtiness.

Also, to everything there are two sides: good and bad (Aquarius might be detached, but is also friendly and the least 'I'-ish). Don't be afraid of reading about the bad. If you are already uplifting the good in your case, why then feel being spoken to or about;). The world talks about the eccentricity (just as of the genius) of Aquarius, and I read it with great interest (eccentric, isn't it:tongue:). See also my current sign-ature line by Robert Naughton. He says it better than I do.

Remember also another very important thing: 'Stars impel, they do not compel.' Even in the most difficult of times, there is that free-will to fall back on, if you 'choose' to do so. Another thing, there are many ways that a configuration can manifest itself in, so, don't take things so literally. Saturn in the 5th house does not have to mean you will have no children. It can mean that you will be a tough parent, or that you are too serious to flirt around.:D

One more fact I just have to mention before waltzing off this thread is that talking about the Sun's sign does not automatically mean that nothing else exists in the chart or should not be taken into account. Absolutely needless to say that the chart as a whole needs to be considered, yet this does not mitigate the importance of the Sun (the core identity and the ego, the centre and of life; all such as the mind, the passions come later), or talking about the Sun sign. Don't we single out planets and houses and talk about them, so why not just freely be able to discuss a sign. It's (usually) not the individual being discussed, it's the sign present in everyone's chart (the rest is usually our own ego and interpretation of what's being said).

:)AQ7

pwadm

Staff member
Astrology doesn't help you directly and doesn't create opportunities for you. You'll have to create your own opportunities. Astrology merely points out: "Look stupid, this is an opportunity!". Astrology will not help you get a job, if there're are no jobs and you don't know to do anything, unless you are a professional astrologer or an astrology site webmaster, of course ;) Astrology will not get you a good relationship, but will help you understand your relationships. Astrology will not help you win the lottery, but rather explain to you why you didn't (that one is really a bummer, I should probably change it...).

pwadm

Staff member
Never use astrology to avoid taking responsibility for your faults......If others find you agressive, it's due to you behaving aggressively rather than because you have a Pluto/Mars/Uranus/Asc conjunction.....Use astrology to identify and change your inappropriate behaviour rather than to explain or justify it.
Good one, thank you EJ! It's so easy to slip into that kind of reasoning: this always HAPPENS TO ME, because I have this or that in my birth chart. How lame!

katydid

Don't get so caught up in your transits/progressions/solar arcs/returns that you forget how to live your life.

I have seen some of my friends almost become 'paralyzed' by all of the astrological data they live by. Sometimes a little goes a long way. Obviously it is nice to keep an eye on the outer planets as they dance their way around your houses. But it may be too much information to know exactly where mercury and the moon are each and every day. :whistling:

Nexus7

Don't be clever. An don't generalise. That is my biggest 'don'ts.'

The chart is a map after all and people more complex than black-and-white categories that do not recognise the full totality of a human being. The 'I know you better than you know yourself' just ***** when it comes across - trust me. It is not pleasant to be on the receiving end of that from someone who is more interested in proving that they are right than helping you o make sense of your chart - and your life. When you are clever and full of the brilliance of your ideas, you then lose empathy with the client.

Unfortunately most of the thought behind astrology plays right into that trap, IMHO. I took to astrology like a duck to water at one stage, but there was a one-sidedness in the way it is applied really put me off in the end, and it still does. It involves more in the way of beliefs than is often acknowledged - I feel - and to openly challenge some tenets can quickly end up with not being part of the Inner Circle. And then again, astrology is not an accepted science anyway - I had a successful course axed once, because the sceptics at the uni did not want their undergraduates having 'astrology' as a valide module in their degrees. So now, I follow with inerest the direction a lot of post-modernist inquiry may take astrology, along with what researchers like Garry Phillipson are up to.

Tracy Marks wrote a long list about the ways astrology can be misapplied, she was particularly good at challenging 'doomed, doomed, I say' prognostications, and also the ways it can be misapplied during consultations. Her list includes hiding behind jargon 'your Saturn on my Moon' instead of discussing the reality of the more painful aspects of that experience, needing to be needed (but then many a doctor, dentist and shrink may have done that to keep the rent coming in, let along being titillated by the role of astrologer), powermongering, sense of alienation that being cognisant of a special 'language' may bring in its wake - anyway, probably a lot of people know here astrology can be used as a double-edged sword

natasa812

For a long time now, I have been collecting dos and donts on this Forum, just couldn`t dare to post. It is lingual / astrological and for general use.

Motivated with the post from Radu, here it is:

1. Instead of: He is a liar
According to: Beware in all Judgments, when the Significator of the question is either Combust, or in Opposition to the Sun, he will then signifie nothing of the matter, no good, nor is be able to bring anything to perfection.
More adequate:
- He is not in a position to do…
- Not totally honest…
- Suspect his honesty…
- Be careful…

2. Instead of: He is lying
According to: Planets in fall are uncomfortable and weak, having much less power to assert their own identity
And:
One Infortune joyned to another, if good be signified by their aspect, yet will it have no effect, or come to any thing: If they signifie evill, it's probably that it may fall out with more malice then expected.
More adequate:
- He is not in a position to do…
- Not totally honest…
- Suspect his honesty…
- Be careful
- In conj. with a malefic…
- Under the influence of an evil planet…

3. Instead of: Bad person
According to: Beware in all Judgments, when the Significator of the question is either Combust, or in Opposition to the Sun, he will then signifie nothing of the matter, no good, nor is be able to bring anything to perfection.
Planets in fall are uncomfortable and weak, having much less power to assert their own identity
And:
One Infortune joyned to another, if good be signified by their aspect, yet will it have no effect, or come to any thing: If they signifie evill, it's probably that it may fall out with more malice then expected.
More adequate:
- Not in a position to perform any good
- Under the influence of an evil planet…

4. Instead of: Jerk
According to: All the above
More adequate: All the above

Instead of: Weak character
According to: All the above
More adequate:
- A planet in fall / combust is not in a position to act with strength
- + all above

5. Instead of: Leave him
According to:
In every Question where Fortunes are Significators, hope well; but in Infortunes, then fear the worst, and accordingly order your business.
More adequate:
- Consider if staying with this person is in your best interest
- Since infortunes are significators, act accordingly and try to avoid emotional / personal / financial damage

6. Instead of: You will loose your dignity
According to:
The Application of the Moon to a Planet in his Fall, signifies anguish, trouble and delayes in the thing demanded.
More adequate:
- Be careful about your dignity…
- Pride
- Self-respect
- Integrity
- Your self respect is in danger

7. Instead of: Discard… it / him / that
According to:
We ought wairly to consider if evill Planets be Significators in any thing, for if they predict evill in the thing questited, the vengence is more heavy; if they foretell of any good, it's lesse then what it expected, it's imperfect, and nothing therein comes, without infinite solicitation and affliction, &c.
More adequate:
It would be better for you / the planet is indicating that… / the quality of his character or the situation will not bring you good

8. Instead of: you go to an orthopedic surgeon.
According to: - Your Diploma in Medicine…?
More adequate:
- Consider receiving an advice from a professional in that area…
- Astrology is not almighty science…
- Or no comment at all

9. Instead of: stop fooling around with astrology
According to:
- Strength to hold back Mars Uranus energy…
- Strength to hold back Mercury Uranus aspect…
More adequate:
- Astrology is not almighty science…
- This issue is overcoming the ability of astrology to explain it…
- And less adequate:
If we are fooling around with astrology than what are you doing in here fooling around with us?

10. Instead of: …tell the person I'm messing with which post I deleted.
According to:
Any positive Mercury Venus aspect in your natal…
Any positive Venus Moon aspect in your natal…
Common sense…
More adequate:
- Tell the person I am having a conversation with…
- Announce to the forum member that…
- Inform my co-member…
- Cyber sex is not allowed in here

11. Instead of: How dare you?
According to:
Any positive Mercury Venus aspect in your natal…
Any positive Venus Moon aspect in your natal…
More adequate:
- It would be nice of you
- Can you please…
- Try to fulfill my request…
- For the benefit of the conversation…
- For the benefit of the forum integrity…
- According to forum rules…

11a. Instead of: How dare you?
According to:
Common sense
Logic
Brain
More adequate:
- Please concentrate on astrology matters…
- Be so kind and express yourself in more appropriate way…
- People actually have feelings…

12. Instead of: Does anyone else notice the drama-meter going up so high that it cracked?
According to:
Our Neptune aspects
Our Sun sign (read Pisces and Sagittarius for absence)
Our MC conjunctions meaning career matters to look after…
Our Moon aspects making us ``soft``
More adequate:
- You are not noticing the drama going on
- You are not a holder of the drama - meter
- Some of you are earth signs and as follows very practical so you don’t look up
- (For Sagittarians only) You are so busy chasing… (anything – targets, goals, love of our life, the meaning of our life…) and you are not noticing the drama going on in here (or busy flirting…)

13. Instead of:
The "moderators" on this forum are such control-freaks. I think the reason for your complete tyranny is your own lives. You people probably have nothing to do all day and are scorned by every "real life person" you meet outside of the computer. You lack self-control, so you go online and apply your own control over anyone you can possibly blanket it over. That's sad. Maybe you should all group up into a nice crowd and seek psychological help together. Like, I don't know, a type of AA meeting for out of control people who sit on the computer all day and lack social contact in the outside world.
And ****, do you really think I can't see you being passive-agressive? Oh PLEASE
According to:
Common sense
Logic
Brain
More adequate:
- No comment

14. Instead of: Lurker
According to:
Common sense
Logic
Brain
More adequate:
- Please try to put some effort
- According to Forum rules, we should all give our own astrological interpretation
- It would be preferred to give your explanation instead of a comment on somebody else’s

15. Instead of: Spectator
According to:
Common sense
Logic
Brain
More adequate:
- Feel free to join any time (sounds very Sagittarian but if you have any better suggestion – feel free to join… J
- Contribute with your opinion to our beautiful society
- Enlighten us with your astrological knowledge

16. Instead of:
You remind me of a German courtesan
According to:
Uranus aspect…?!?!
More adequate:
- Your (well placedL) Uranus gives you a certain sexapil that comes out true your avatar…
- Since we have never met, reading your posts I have made a conclusion that you are a sexy person

17. Instead of:
You are not a man, gentleman, civilized person, the bigger the king lover the smaller the ego, a hobby of mine is to have king lovers with small ego on their knees…
According to:
Trine between Moon and Venus
Pisces AC for more emotion
More adequate:
- Please choose your words
- This is a public forum
- It is not a way to talk to a lady…

The ``general message`` is to choose our words, to speek in a civilized and polite way and to make this Forum a friendly and beautiful place.
Also, never to answer in an absolute way - there are stars falling and maybe some of them are lucky and will affect any ``chalenging aspect`` or transit. I am already making a wish... :)

[deleted overly sexual reference as it is against forum rules - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi
Mine is simple , and learned from experience:

*Don't judge the client: Judge only the chart*,

and by *judge* I mean, * interpret.*

If you become known for reading charts and providing information that enables clients/friends etc to make more informed decisions in their lives, undoubtedly you will be consulted by some people who seem (to you, the astrologer) to be *in the wrong* in some way, so to speak.
I once received a call from a person who had just been arrested, wanting me to look at a *will this be OK* type horary.(Most people use their phone call to ring a lawyer!).
It turned out to be a useful astrological experience: I had a natal chart, a progressed chart, exact time of arrest for the horary!, and would have exact times of Events *along the way* in the legal process,and I would get to know the *outcome*, so I *just read the chart*and witheld my judgements as to the reasons for the arrest etc.This person also kindly gave me permission to share this information with other astrologers.

Hence, even though its sometimes really hard to *approve* of what your client/friend etc may be contemplating, it's best to leave yourself out of it and let them find their own way.It's not the role of the average Astrologer to *play counsellor*, but obviously sometimes there may be a need to point out potential pitfalls if a course of action is pursued.
*TIP*
Always check out the ruler of the 12th house cusp and note what is going on with that-often that is what the client will also try to *hide* from the astrologer.
Great thread, Radu!
Lillyjgc

Arian Maverick

This is a pretty good list, so far.

Here's another "don't" that just came to mind: Don't use astrology to preach your own characteristic way of thinking/behaving.

In a similar vein, the experiences of all individuals are different. Don't assume that your own experience may seamlessly translate to others' experience, to explain what they've been through or to "justify" why they act in a certain manner. Don't use superficial examples to demonstrate commonality when none may exist.

Mine is simple , and learned from experience:

*Don't judge the client: Judge only the chart*,

and by *judge* I mean, * interpret.*

This is excellent advice.

Always check out the ruler of the 12th house cusp and note what is going on with that-often that is what the client will also try to *hide* from the astrologer.

In your experience, does this apply for horary charts, natal charts, or both?

Arian Maverick

P.S. It appears that this thread originated from another thread. Can someone please post a link to it? I admit I'm curious to learn how this discussion began...

Last edited:
These are all my favourite ways to do astrology. :happy:

1. I am always judgemental.
2. My favourite pastime is to go around preaching.
3. I do try to be clever, but it never comes across.
4. I always generalize and stereotype.
5. I always panic under transits, but that's 99% of the fun, all the waiting and anticipating. It's quite the adrenaline rush.
6. Under Jupiter-Venus transits I always get money. The law of attraction is a powerful thing.
7. I always talk about my chart as proof of astrology.
8. I refuse to move under bad transits
9. I am Hypersensitive
10. There is no free will we are doomed.

I commit the 10 deadly sins of Astrology.:devil:

Seriously, it is good to have ethical guidelines to work with in astrology, and as long a you have a positive effect on people, and approach astrology sensitively remembering that a human being exists behind all those symbols and astrological jargon, we would all make better astrologers.

But I am not an Astrologer more of a hobbyist (is that a word), and I don't have all that responsibility on my shoulders, thank god :biggrin:. Astrology is fun for the most part. I use it to explore my own personality and events in life, it goes no further with me.

iwonder

I can't say it as a "don't", so I will as "Do!"

Do stay open-minded
It gives an opportunity to view a chart, characteristic or event in a whole new light. For example, house system. If you've been using one, try another - you are bound to make new discoveries and add another dimension to your understanding of things.

Arian Maverick

Thanks for dispersing much of the tension, Shining Ray! :lol:

I do try to be clever, but it never comes across.

I think your post was quite clever. Indeed, I'm thinking about saving it on my desktop to remind me to chill out more about astrology and the forums.

I commit the 10 deadly sins of Astrology.:devil:

We should change the title of this thread to the 10 Deadly Sins of Astrology!

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Frank

Never attack someone whose opinion you disagree with based on a configuration in his or her birth chart.

Last edited:

iwonder

We should change the title of this thread to the 10 Deadly Sins of Astrology :devil:

In either case, we are about to commit sin #2 - become preachy :D

I think your post was quite clever. Indeed, I'm thinking about saving it on my desktop to remind me to chill out more about astrology and the forums.

We should change the title of this thread to the 10 Deadly Sins of Astrology!

Arian Maverick

You know my Mars in Aquarius square Uranus hates rules, but these are pretty much about ethical standards, and I shall let them pass. :biggrin:

I agree with the general concensus of 'don't sit in judgement of the client, read the chart' As has been said charts are all about possibilities.

Do's
  1. point out the good points first ,get them onside
  2. keep astro language simple so they can understand
  3. use analogies to explain things as in what planetory energies mean (something I'm really good at LOL)
  4. Take your time, have patience, you're not running a marathon
  5. Show enthusiasm, it's infectious
Don'ts
  1. talk people do death and remember to listen to client so you get feedback
  2. Don't be too specific (use guidlines instead) when talking over predictive matters, remember lots of transits can have lots of different meanings.
  3. Rahu
    Astrology doesn't help you directly and doesn't create opportunities for you. You'll have to create your own opportunities.
  4. Don't live your life according to what the stars/astrology says cos you will miss the most important "the journey itself, the people you meet"