Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
Lascivious Lascivious is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 147
Are you for or against gay marriage?

Why or why not?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Lion o ness's Avatar
Lion o ness Lion o ness is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles Area
Posts: 1,889
Send a message via Yahoo to Lion o ness
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

It doesn't bother me either way... To each their own..

I don't think the government should say who can/cannot get married...

Who u marry is a personal choice.....

It's just as bad, if there was a law saying you couldn't marry outside your nationality...
Either way its between the two people... Why should strangers even care?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 12-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Blaze's Avatar
Blaze Blaze is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 9,739
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

I remember this guy telling me that gay marriage was a "Satanist" ritual or some other mumbo jumbo. Made me chuckle.

I'm for it btw.

- Yeezy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 12-26-2016, 05:04 PM
SweetTruthSeeker SweetTruthSeeker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 85
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

People should be allowed to marry who they want.

Just wish there. Was a law against lying about it!

Each to their own!!
__________________
Just trying to be the best me I can be. Hoping love can conquer all 💕😇💕
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:07 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetTruthSeeker View Post
People should be allowed to marry who they want.
So if someone wants to marry a cow, it should be allowed too?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:14 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 22,378
Smile Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
So if someone wants to marry a cow, it should be allowed too?
Only if it can say "I do!" That would leave parrots and other talking birds as marriage partners. Parrots especially, are known for long life and faithfulness to one person.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:20 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Only if it can say "I do!" That would leave parrots and other talking birds as marriage partners. Parrots especially, are known for long life and faithfulness to one person.
You are arbitrarily drawing a line between humans and non-human animals as marriage partners. This is no different from the traditionalists who say that marriage is only between a man and a woman. If gays and gay-sympathizers want to extend the right to marry to same-sex couples, then they must also accept non-human animals as marriage partners, too. That is, if they want to be logically consistent. Which I doubt they do. They have a political agenda to push.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:28 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

I support gay marriage.

Marriage is no longer a part of religion; it's something regarding the state and government. A marriage between two people will be seen as a union and considered family members according to the law and government. This is very important for many reasons.

- if these people want to break up for any reason, the law will be able to step in and split the resources and financials accordingly with the divorce
- If the law sees them as a couple then other people will too
- They will have the same last name, which is important
- If one of them has suffered a terrible accident and only family members are allowed to see them when they're on their death bed and the person they love most can't see them because they aren't family - that's really sad.
- There's other reasons I'm sure.

To deny two people's unity on a governmental scale is absolutely ridiculous. The rules are cold and unemotional. If two people live together, share resources, and have sex with each other, it's only logical and practical they should be seen a unified couple by the law if the couple wants to be seen as a unity by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
So if someone wants to marry a cow, it should be allowed too?
Who cares if people start marrying cows; it's their life. Besides, it's completely ridiculous and I doubt a large number of people in America would actually do something so stupid.

If we won't let gay people get married because we're worried about people marrying cows then that's messed up.

A marriage between a human and a human is very very different from a marriage between a human and an animal. If a marriage between an animal and a human becomes a problem, I think the United States will be able to handle it, but we need to deal with gay people not being able to get married first.
__________________
cobalt purple

Last edited by AppLeo; 12-26-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:31 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post

If we won't let gay people get married because we're worried about people marrying cows then that's messed up.
I didn't say I was "worried" about people marrying animals. I am just saying that if we start allowing same-sex marriages, then we should also start allowing man-animal marriages. Logical consistency demands so.

Quote:
A marriage between a human and a human is very very different from a marriage between a human and an animal.
In the same vein, I can also say that a marriage between a man and a woman is very different from a marriage between two people of the same sex.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
I didn't say I was "worried" about people marrying animals. I am just saying that if we start allowing same-sex marriages, then we should also start allowing man-animal marriages. Logical consistency demands so.
Right!!

Because animals have the mental capacity to consent to a marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
In the same vein, I can also say that a marriage between a man and a woman is very different from a marriage between two people of the same sex.
How?? A gay couple has the same genitals and a straight has different genitals. I mean I guess that's different, but I don't see how that interferes with marriage itself; and a reason for people not to get married.

That's the same as saying, "Blue-eyed people can't marry other blue-eyed people." Why, because the magical unicorn said so?? How lame.

And a marriage between a male and female is pretty much the same as a male and male. Both couples are humans!!
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:49 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 22,378
Smile Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
You are arbitrarily drawing a line between humans and non-human animals as marriage partners. This is no different from the traditionalists who say that marriage is only between a man and a woman. If gays and gay-sympathizers want to extend the right to marry to same-sex couples, then they must also accept non-human animals as marriage partners, too. That is, if they want to be logically consistent. Which I doubt they do. They have a political agenda to push.
Look, it's really not that complicated. Two PEOPLE fall in love, in the traditional, romantic sense, and they want to get married, in the traditional, legal way. No big deal, nothing radical about it. Just accept the FACT that some people prefer sex with a member of their own gender, and that sex is an important part of marriage. It's a GENDER issue--nothing to do with other species. Nothing "inconsistent" about it.

Last edited by david starling; 12-26-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
ashriia (12-26-2016)
  #12  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:51 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Right!!

Because animals have the mental capacity to consent to a marriage.
I don't think that merely having the ability to consent to a marriage is the ONLY criterion required for entering into a marriage. Marriage has always been defined as the union of a man and a woman.

What you are proposing is akin to a biological male clamoring to be able to use the woman's washroom. People tell him he can't, then he whines and says, "why can't I? I am a human. This is discrimination based on my sex". Except that it isn't. A woman's washroom is, BY DEFINITION, the washroom reserved for women. Men cannot enter it. And in the same vein, same-sex couples cannot get married, and it's because BY DEFINITION, marriage is between a man and a woman.

They can still have civil unions, though, which carry pretty much all the benefits, legal and financial, as marriage. Why can't they be happy about this? Why do they clamor and demand that society bend over backwards to accommodate them?

Quote:
How?? A gay couple has the same genitals and a straight has different genitals. I mean I guess that's different, but I don't see how that interferes with marriage itself; and a reason for people not to get married.

That's the same as saying, "Blue-eyed people can't marry other blue-eyed people." Why, because the magical unicorn said so?? How lame.

And a marriage between a male and female is pretty much the same as a male and male. Both couples are humans!!
Like I stated above, just by virtue of being human is not sufficient for marriage. The parties involved have to be a man and a woman.

Gays can still have civil unions. I don't know why they are so keen on being married. There is practically no difference/s between a marriage and a civil union.

Last edited by wan; 12-26-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:52 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Look, it's really not that complicated. Two PEOPLE fall in love, in the traditional, romantic sense, and they want to get married, in the traditional, legal way. No big deal, nothing radical about it. Just accept the FACT that some people prefer sex with a member of their own gender, and that sex is an important part of marriage.
Nobody is denying them civil union. They just can't get "married" in the traditional sense. Marriage has always been defined as the union between a man and a woman. By denying gays the ability to get married we are not "depriving" them of anything, as you seem to imply.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
You are arbitrarily drawing a line between humans and non-human animals as marriage partners. This is no different from the traditionalists who say that marriage is only between a man and a woman. If gays and gay-sympathizers want to extend the right to marry to same-sex couples, then they must also accept non-human animals as marriage partners, too. That is, if they want to be logically consistent. Which I doubt they do. They have a political agenda to push.
LOL are you kidding me??

A marriage between a human and a human is completely different compared to an animal and a human.

You can get out with that.

You won't let two consenting adults get married because a human could potentially marry an animal. OR, you think that a marriage between an animal and a human should be allowed because people with the same private parts are getting married. That's like saying that because we allow people with the same eye color, or the same race to get married we have to let anyone marry anything now. I don't get it.

It makes no sense for the government to see an animal and a human as a union. An animal can't consent. An animal doesn't have the rights as humans according to the law. A union to an animal doesn't really mean anything.

And even if a human did marry an animal, who freaking cares. You don't have to go to the wedding. You don't have to be their friend. You don't have to pay for the wedding. You don't have to be a part of their life.
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:57 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 22,378
Smile Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

What if a human wanted to marry a robot?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 12-26-2016, 07:58 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
LOL are you kidding me??

A marriage between a human and a human is completely different compared to an animal and a human.

You can get out with that.

You won't let two consenting adults get married because a human could potentially marry an animal. OR, you think that a marriage between an animal and a human should be allowed because people with the same private parts are getting married. That's like saying that because we allow people with the same eye color, or the same race to get married we have to let anyone marry anything now. I don't get it.

It makes no sense for the government to see an animal and a human as a union. An animal can't consent. An animal doesn't have the rights as humans according to the law. A union to an animal doesn't really mean anything.

And even if a human did marry an animal, who freaking cares. You don't have to go to the wedding. You don't have to be their friend. You don't have to pay for the wedding. You don't have to be a part of their life.
I am against "gay marriage" on the grounds that marriage is, by definition, a union between a man and a woman. With a gay couple, there is not a man and a woman. Therefore, the two people involved cannot be "properly" married. They can still have a civil union, though. Nobody is denying them that.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:08 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
I don't think that merely having the ability to consent to a marriage is the ONLY criterion required for entering into a marriage. Marriage has always been defined as the union of a man and a woman.
Well marriage needs to change its definition as far as I'm concerned. And also, if you can't consent to a marriage, then your marriage probably ***** and shouldn't be allowed. If people could marry anything without the other parties consent then a marriage becomes practically useless.

"I'm unified to something that doesn't even acknowledge our unity yay!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
What you are proposing is akin to a biological male clamoring to be able to use the woman's washroom. People tell him he can't, then he whines and says, "why can't I? I am a human. This is discrimination based on my sex". Except that it isn't. A woman's washroom is, BY DEFINITION, the washroom reserved for women. Men cannot enter it. And in the same vein, same-sex couples cannot get married, and it's because BY DEFINITION, marriage is between a man and a woman.
We aren't talking about transgenders and bathrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
They can still have civil unions, though, which carry pretty much all the benefits, legal and financial, as marriage. Why can't they be happy about this? Why do they clamor and demand that society bend over backwards to accommodate them?
A civil union sounds pretty bland. And you said is "pretty much" gives all the benefits, so obviously not all the complete benefits. I don't understand what's so bad about same-sex marriages. Why are religious people so UNHAPPY about this?? Society is not bending over backwards; it's just being stubborn.

It's funny to me because religion has started marriage all that and now marriage is more a governmental thing. Why do religious people have to be so anti-gay?? They pick and choose everything else in the bible, but when it comes to gay people they want them to suffer because the bible said so. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
Like I stated above, just by virtue of being human is not sufficient for marriage. The parties involved have to be a man and a woman.

Gays can still have civil unions. I don't know why they are so keen on being married. There is practically no difference/s between a marriage and a civil union.
LOL if there is no difference then why does it matter so much that a marriage has to be between a man and women???

Do you just like hearing that marriage is this perfect thing for a man and women??

Do straight couples wanna sound cool by saying, "Oh yeah we're married!! HAHA look at us we're so cool; we actually have a real bond. All you gay couples can cry with your civil unions even though you have the same benefits as us. Marriage sounds so much cooler than a civil union."
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Blaze's Avatar
Blaze Blaze is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 9,739
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
What if a human wanted to marry a robot?
Ladies and Gentlemen have I got a deal for you!

Tired of coming home to your lazy spouse? No dishes washed? No dinner being made? More fighting about which in-laws you'll visit this year?

Well, fight no longer! Brought to you in part by future tech comes... SPOUSE 3000! This robot partner does everything an organic partner won't do! Clean dishes, cook, clean, any other...private things.

Order your own SPOUSE 3000! today and live in The future!.



Yep, I can.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Bigstar (12-26-2016), david starling (12-26-2016)
  #19  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:21 PM
david starling david starling is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Yes
Posts: 22,378
Smile Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen have I got a deal for you!

Tired of coming home to your lazy spouse? No dishes washed? No dinner being made? More fighting about which in-laws you'll visit this year?

Well, fight no longer! Brought to you in part by future tech comes... SPOUSE 3000! This robot partner does everything an organic partner won't do! Clean dishes, cook, clean, any other...private things.

Order your own SPOUSE 3000! today and live in The future!.



Yep, I can.
Could I upgrade to an iSpouse 3001? It has better cooking ability.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:32 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Should we appease those who are prejudiced against gays?
I am not prejudiced against gays. I just don't think we as a society need to re-define pre-existing concepts like marriage in order to accommodate gays.

If you want to think I am bigoted towards gays, so be it. They are a tiny minority in our societies and their desires should not dictate policies to the rest of us. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Bigstar Bigstar is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 169
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Gay marriage is like Child marriage, both should be legal.

بلتىاننم
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:37 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
I am not prejudiced against gays. I just don't think we as a society need to re-define pre-existing concepts like marriage in order to accommodate gays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wan View Post
If you want to think I am bigoted towards gays, so be it. They are a tiny minority in our societies and their desires should not dictate policies to the rest of us. Talk about the tail wagging the dog.
10% of the population is gay and probably more. Many traditional concepts need to get out. Accommodating would be so much easier for everyone instead of being stubborn over a silly definition.
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:38 PM
AppLeo's Avatar
AppLeo AppLeo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,902
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstar View Post
Gay marriage is like Child marriage, both should be legal.

بلتىاننم
Shut up. A child can't consent.

BTW, you have a comma splice.
__________________
cobalt purple
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AppLeo For This Useful Post:
tikana (12-26-2016)
  #24  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Bigstar Bigstar is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 169
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

It's normal under sharia law actually
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM
wan wan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,130
Re: Are you for or against gay marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
10% of the population is gay and probably more. Many traditional concepts need to get out. Accommodating would be so much easier for everyone instead of being stubborn over a silly definition.
You say the definition of marriage should be changed, I say it shouldn't.

Impasse.

Keep calling me and people like me "stubborn" though. I bet you win converts to your stance all the time with a tactic like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butt_buddies, lube_up_m8_going_in

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.