Understanding Venus in astrology

jollyzal

Banned
Hello. I'm sure that by now most of you have a general idea of what :venus: is in a natal chart, but I wanna know more! Do you guys have any tidbits or anecdotes related to Venus? Like, how does it exactly function through the signs? How does the energy manifest itself in different modalities?

The better you understand each piece that makes astrology, the better astrologer you will become. Also, how does it affect Venus to have a square, an opposition, a sextile or a trine? How do these types of aspects (which have different ways of expressing themselves) affect what Venus is?

Why exactly does a Venus have its detriment in :scorpio: and :aries: while having its fall in :virgo: and its rulership in :taurus:/:libra: and its exaltation in :pisces:? Why does it function like that?

I really want to know more about any given planet. Venus was just a planet I want to know a little more about. If you guys can, can you give example charts of people who have a prominent Venus?

I also wanted to leave a picture of Venus here so she may grace all of us with prosperity (I know you can raise your eyebrow after reading that, I am not actually crazy lol). I mean, if Horary astrology works then the planets listen to our words right? I once saw a horary question directly asked to Pluto... yeah. So let's play along and leave this here.

Venus.jpg

Last edited:

theV

Venus is about self appreciation, self love, worth. Venus is about being secure in one's own skin and body. Venus to me rules the body or at least our views to our body. Self worth (Venus) based on body image. Venus is also about being confident in social gathering. Venus like Mars is about confidence. People who are confident and secure in social gathering are likely to have good Venus.

Venus is also Nymphomaniac. Venus frequently appears in chart of **** stars, exhibitionist, nudist. People with Libra Asc are commonly found in the adult film stars industry.

jollyzal

Banned
Venus is about self appreciation, self love, worth. Venus is about being secure in one's own skin and body. Venus to me rules the body or at least our views to our body. Self worth (Venus) based on body image. Venus is also about being confident in social gathering. Venus like Mars is about confidence. People who are confident and secure in social gathering are likely to have good Venus.

Venus is also Nymphomaniac. Venus frequently appears in chart of **** stars, exhibitionist, nudist. People with Libra Asc are commonly found in the adult film stars industry.

So this means that the basic concept of Venus is pleasure through image. Pleasure that comes through any of the senses and that has to do with one's image. This explains why Taurus and Libra are her signs (they're really superficial signs) and why Scorpio and Aries are not (since they're about finding oneself deep down within and about defining oneself through personality, not physical appearance). So then, would be a Taurus someone who really doesn't define itself? Someone who is kind of empty on the inside? Like Libra?

I still don't get why Pisces would be her sign of exaltation? Any ideas as to why?

Last edited:

theV

So this means that the basic concept of Venus is pleasure through image. Pleasure that comes through any of the senses and that has to do with one's image. This explains why Taurus and Libra are her signs (they're really superficial signs) and why Scorpio and Aries are not (since they're about finding oneself deep down within and about defining oneself through personality, not physical appearance). So then, would be a Taurus someone who really doesn't define itself? Someone who is kind of empty on the inside? Like Libra?

I still don't get why Pisces would be her sign of exaltation? Any ideas as to why?

Pisces is also about pleasure. Pleasure in the highest form, wine and alcohol. Pisces also rules glamorous something Venus rules too. Pisces is also nymphomaniac sign.

jollyzal

Banned
Pisces is also about pleasure. Pleasure in the highest form, wine and alcohol. Pisces also rules glamorous something Venus rules too. Pisces is also nymphomaniac sign.

So what you're saying is Pisces is the highest form of pleasure. It's like rejoicing after having all of the knowledge and knowing the higher picture? It sounds a bit god-like. Everytime I'm explained why a certain planet is exalted in a sign I'm always like "In rulership it's in the sign that's the most similar to the planet but in exaltation it's where it REALLY should be. It's what the planet needs the most. It's a very lucky placement".

And it makes sense. For example, an Aries Sun sounds like "Wow, the Sun is this infinite source of heat and energy and finally it has a place where it can use that gigantic energy and put it into a single thing!"

jollyzal

Banned
So what you're saying is Pisces is the highest form of pleasure. It's like rejoicing after having all of the knowledge and knowing the higher picture? It sounds a bit god-like. Everytime I'm explained why a certain planet is exalted in a sign I'm always like "In rulership it's in the sign that's the most similar to the planet but in exaltation it's where it REALLY should be. It's what the planet needs the most. It's a very lucky placement".

And it makes sense. For example, an Aries Sun sounds like "Wow, the Sun is this infinite source of heat and energy and finally it has a place where it can use that gigantic energy and put it into a single thing!"

Oh (sorry for double post I can't edit my previous post right now).

I haven't heard anyone say what I'm about to say, but wouldn't it be better for a planet to be exalted and ruled by a planet in rulership? That gives it a very strong core (something you're always given if the first planet is in rulership). So I personally think that Pisces Venus ruled by, say, a Saggitarius Jupiter would be better than a Taurus/Libra Venus.

theV

Spring is the time of the year the sun is bright and shinning. Spring is all about growth, joy, and fire the things the Sun rules. Aries is spring sign and fire element sign so it is natural the sun is exalted in Aries. Sun is bad in Aquarius because they fall in the winter time when there is no sun, no heat.Man people tends to have SAD illness in the winter because there is no Sun. Sun is all about heat as you said, energy, fire, joy and happiness.

Pisces is Bacchus archetype. It deals with losing oneself, the ego and boundaries through ecstasy like addiction, drugs, alcohol, music and sex.

jollyzal

Banned
Spring is the time of the year the sun is bright and shinning. Spring is all about growth, joy, and fire the things the Sun rules. Aries is spring sign and fire element sign so it is natural the sun is exalted in Aries. Sun is bad in Aquarius because they fall in the winter time when there is no sun, no heat.Man people tends to have SAD illness in the winter because there is no Sun. Sun is all about heat as you said, energy, fire, joy and happiness.

Pisces is Bacchus archetype. It deals with losing oneself, the ego and boundaries through ecstasy like addiction, drugs, alcohol, music and sex.

Is that why Venus is exaggerated in Pisces?

Venus = pleasure

Pisces = losing oneself

Then does that mean that Venus rejoices so much here that it can make you lose yourself? Like in that Harry Potter movie where there was a mirror that reflected your strongest desires. It's as if you were someone who spent his entire life staring at that mirror.

katydid

Looking at the bolded above---I would disagree. Taurus is all about 'defining oneself.' Taurus rules the 2nd house, of PERSONAL VALUES, SELF WORTH< which includes ethics and morals and one's sense of self, and self esteem.

Taurus is not at all 'empty on the inside.' It is FIXED EARTH. That by definition is never empty because it is SOLID. Taurus is very deep, very stable and grounded in it's deeply held principles and beliefs.

katydid

Well, those are SOME of the ways Pisceans lose their ego and their possessiveness. :pouty:

They may also TRANSCEND that pettiness through devotion to the higher self, to the divine, to the highest spiritual principles and practices, to total devotion to a cause bigger than themselves, like caring for the dying or the oppressed,or sacrificing one's own needs to save others.

theV

Well, those are SOME of the ways Pisceans lose their ego and their possessiveness. :pouty:

They may also TRANSCEND that pettiness through devotion to the higher self, to the divine, to the highest spiritual principles and practices, to total devotion to a cause bigger than themselves, like caring for the dying or the oppressed,or sacrificing one's own needs to save others.

Yes, I mentioned one archetype of Pisces energy, the Bacchus archetype, but forget to mention the Prophet/Jesus archetype. But I was only speaking in the context of pleasure, Venus and Pisces. Pisces and Venus are about pleasure in my opinion. Pisces deals with self indulgence after all and so is Venus. Just pointing how Venus and Pisces could relate.

Last edited:

theV

Looking at the bolded above---I would disagree. Taurus is all about 'defining oneself.' Taurus rules the 2nd house, of PERSONAL VALUES, SELF WORTH< which includes ethics and morals and one's sense of self, and self esteem.

Taurus is not at all 'empty on the inside.' It is FIXED EARTH. That by definition is never empty because it is SOLID. Taurus is very deep, very stable and grounded in it's deeply held principles and beliefs.

I totally agree.

JUPITERASC

Hello. I'm sure that by now most of you have a general idea of what :venus: is in a natal chart,
but I wanna know more!
Do you guys have any tidbits or anecdotes related to Venus?
Like, how does it exactly function through the signs?
How does the energy manifest itself in different modalities?

The better you understand each piece that makes astrology, the better astrologer you will become.
Also, how does it affect Venus to have a square, an opposition, a sextile or a trine?
How do these types of aspects (which have different ways of expressing themselves) affect what Venus is?
Venus Nature = Feminine, nocturnal, temperately cold and moist
the Lesser Fortune, author of mirth and jollity :smile:

Why exactly does a Venus have its detriment in :scorpio: and :aries:
Aries is ruled by Mars and OPPOSES Venus domicile Libra
Scorpio is ruled by Mars and OPPOSES Venus domicile Taurus

while having its fall in :virgo: and its rulership in :taurus:/:libra: and its exaltation in :pisces:? Why does it function like that?

I really want to know more about any given planet.
Venus was just a planet I want to know a little more about.
Virgo OPPOSES Venus exaltation Pisces

GregoryRozek-astrological-tables-01.png

JUPITERASC

If you guys can, can you give example charts of people who have a prominent Venus?

I also wanted to leave a picture of Venus here so she may grace all of us with prosperity
(I know you can raise your eyebrow after reading that, I am not actually crazy lol).
I mean, if Horary astrology works then the planets listen to our words right?
I once saw a horary question directly asked to Pluto... yeah. So let's play along and leave this here.

People Signified by Venus = Musicians, gamblers, silk-men, dealers in textiles, linens and fine cloth, linen-drapers
painters, jewellers, actors, those who cut, polish, set or deal gemstones
embroiderers, women-tailors
wives, mothers, virgins
choristers, fiddlers, pipers, when joined with Moon, singers
perfumers, seamstresses, picture-drawers, engravers
upholsterers, those who illuminate manuscripts
glovers, all as sell those commodities which adorn women either in body (as clothes)
or in face, (as complexion-waters.)
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/venus_att.html

36f7fe7fc612d53c4fa62aacbbba77dc.jpg

Pentacle%2BV%25C3%25A9nus.gif

pentagram2.jpg

animatedoodle

As someone who has Venus prominent in the chart, Venus has given me some reprieve in my awkwardness with people (Aqua Asc, Uranus Conj MC) by performing a grand trine with MC and Jupiter (Venus is also conj my Mercury). I can talk to anyone, have an ability to calm people, and make people open up. A lot of people see me as very trusting, which makes my Aquarian ASC giggle a bit, especially since they tell me all their secrets very quickly. I have excellent judge in character and am artistically gifted in colour and emotive art, especially motion and portraiture. Anything involving people, colour and emotion and I can work hard to achieve work that makes me very happy to look at. So yes, Venus is very much tied to this self love, and acceptance not only of yourself, but those around you and how you can return this love through her value system, which can be indicative in the sign she possesses or the house. Or both! My Venus is in Pisces, in the 2nd house. Pisces is the Natal Ruler of the 2nd house. She is the ONLY planet that is in the same house as her sign on my chart. Having said that, it's not all roses and loveliness. I have a lot of problems with accepting reality with all of its...ugliness and shortsightedness.

I'm intrigued in the relationship between Uranus and Venus, since great artists have a lot of aspects involving these two forces, Uranus being divine inspiration and creative vision and innovation, while Venus is about channelling that vision to one of beauty, and magnetism, that relatable energy that makes vision appealing and universal.

By herself, I think Venus is how you relate to not only others but also the creative expression of others, how they dance, cook, converse, talk, analyse....pick a sign any sign and you can see how Venus just expresses her need to relate and inspire.

jollyzal

Banned

Then why isn't the Sun strengthened here or atleast finds itself in a good position here? If Taurus is about self worth and ethics, why does it care about money and luxuries? What would be the correlation between these two ideas that still makes them characteristics that pertain to Taurus?

I also heard somewhere that Sun and Venus are enemies in astrology. Is this true?

Keep in mind I'm new to astrology I don't know it all.

katydid

Then why isn't the Sun strengthened here or atleast finds itself in a good position here? If Taurus is about self worth and ethics, why does it care about money and luxuries? What would be the correlation between these two ideas that still makes them characteristics that pertain to Taurus?

I also heard somewhere that Sun and Venus are enemies in astrology. Is this true?

Keep in mind I'm new to astrology I don't know it all.

Taurus is about 'self worth' which would include valuables and luxuries. But it is not exclusively about money and wealth. It is also about personal values and beliefs and personal reputation.

The Sun is the ruler of Leo, which is fixed FIRE. So when it is placed in Taurus, it is SQUARING it's natural home. That is why there is that tension. The Sun is a fire planet and Taurus is an Earth sign. Not a comfortable fit. Earth smothers fire. Fire Burns Earth.

jollyzal

Banned
Taurus is about 'self worth' which would include valuables and luxuries. But it is not exclusively about money and wealth. It is also about personal values and beliefs and personal reputation.

The Sun is the ruler of Leo, which is fixed FIRE. So when it is placed in Taurus, it is SQUARING it's natural home. That is why there is that tension. The Sun is a fire planet and Taurus is an Earth sign. Not a comfortable fit. Earth smothers fire. Fire Burns Earth.

But my question was, how can luxuries and money (which are very superficial) be related to something as deep as self-worth and deeply loving yourself?

waybread

jollyzal, you might first decide how you feel about the traditional/modern astrology divide, because the interpretations of Venus will differ. A trad would get more seriously into the essential and accidental dignities of a Venus placement; a modern astrologer would be more concerned with its aspects.

Then read some mythology of the Roman goddess Venus (Greek Aphrodite) because astrological Venus rules those things associated with the goddess, such as feminine beauty, love, luxuries, and pleasure. In traditional astrology Venus "joys" in the 5th house of leisure activities, including short-term love affairs that are conducted more in the spirit of fun or lust than in a long-term monogamous commitment.

More generally, astrology has gotten a bit less gender-biased of late. Venus in a woman's chart will show her sense of her femininity, and in a heterosexual man's chart Venus indicates something about his ideal woman. This doesn't mean that the man will want a woman with Venus in Aries if that's what he's got; but more that his dream girl would be independent and athletic. However, a heterosexual man's Mars in aspect with a woman's Venus is a strong indicator of attraction.

In a gay man's chart, Venus would more generally indicate his feelings about relationships. Venus is the attractor, Mars is the go-getter. He might also develop other attributes of his Venus, such as those dealing with esthetics.

Venus is traditionally "the lesser benefic" so Venus tends to soften or make more agreeable the planets that it touches. Venus conjunct Mercury people, for example, tend to have soft speaking voices. A Venus opposition wouldn't be as harsh as an opposition from sun, Mars, Saturn, or Mercury; nor as moody as a moon opposition. A well-placed Venus would probably give someone good taste.

The V: everyone has Venus somewhere. Possibly you mean that nudists and p*** stars have a more prominent Venus?? When people have Venus, Mars, and Jupiter in a tight aspect pattern, I think they are more likely to be polyamorous-- or if strictly monogamous themselves, liable to attract someone who plays around.

Venus by house can show what you love. For example, if Venus is in the second house, that person might enjoy collecting jewelry-- both as a type of valuable (second house) but also as an object of beauty. Venus in or ruling the first house, especially Venus conjunct the ascendant, usually makes people attractive to others.

Venus is domiciled in Libra and Taurus. Libra is an air sign, so a sun-Libran might be gracious and diplomatic; perhaps inclined to the more mental arts like literature. Taurus is an earth sign, so hear you might find someone more appreciate of the sensual nature of the body and more tangible types of art-- like taking a pottery class.

The traditional "cool moist" description of Venus is basically from the old Aristotelian science. Back in ancient Greece, people thought women's bodies were cooler and moister than men's. Warm, moist climates were understandably seen as more conductive to plant growth, so Venus was moderately beneficial.

waybread

On the sign of Taurus, some modern astrologers conflate signs and houses to the point where they are they are virtually indistinguishable. I don't think this is a good idea, as a sign shows how or in what manner a planet operates. A house shows where, or in what domain of life a planet operates.

Taurus is first and foremost the fixed earth sign. Earth= pragmatic, material, tangible, and well-- earthy (in terms of earth people's sense of humour.) Venus as ruler can give an enjoyment of tangible sensuous pleasures: not just amour, but a delicious beautifully prepared meal with a good glass of wine, appreciation of a beautiful sunset, or an abiding love of gardening.

In medical astrology there is a traditional overlap between signs and houses with regard to illnesses and parts of the body. Since Taurus and the second house both rule the throat and shoulders, a second-house Venus or Venus in Taurus supposedly gives people a good singing voice, whether they have utilized this talent or not.

Another second house/Taurus overlap might be in the area of "valuables"-- items that have monetary worth but that are beautiful as well. Jewelry, a collector's paintings or antiques might fit in here. Neither Venus or Taurus have a necessary connection with money. Mercury is the traditional ruler of money and trade, a point often overlooked by astrologers who think the second house and second sign mean the same thing; and that since Venus rules Taurus it must also rule money. It doesn't; but Venus could rule a collection of gemstones whose primary value is in their beauty.