Houses OR Aspects in Natal Chart - rectifying a chart

LisaDiane

Ok, I've recently started learning as much as possible about Natal Astrology, and I LOVE it - it's FASCINATING!!!

I only have one problem....I don't know my Birth TIME!

I do, however, have a general idea of the time (from my mom), and I've been able to narrow it down to a 1 1/2 hour window by figuring out my moon sign, and then my ascendant.
So I have been working inward, trying to narrow it further, looking to the Houses next, and then the Aspects....but now I've uncovered a strange problem that I never expected -- if I figure the time based on the Houses, the Aspects seem wrong/don't FIT me; but when I pick a time based on the Aspects that seem accurate (within that 1 1/2 hr window), then the Houses are way off!!

Which are the most important to consider?

I would love to get an original Birth Certificate, but it would end up costing around $60 total (finding, printing, notarizing, sending it), so I thought with a little work I could figure it out, but I never expected to have such contradicting choices...how do I know which is right?

THANKS!!!

Osamenor

Staff member
Re: Houses OR Aspects in Natal Chart

When astrologers rectify charts (what you're trying to do), they do it based on life events. Moves, job changes, marriage, divorce, birth of your children if you have them, deaths in your family (particularly of a parent or other immediate family member)... those are the kinds of events they use. Every astrologer I've ever seen offering rectification says they need exact dates for at least 10 major life events to be able to do it. Then, the main tool they use is progressions.

They don't rectify based on your personality; it sounds like that's what you're trying to do. Personalities can form in so many ways, even with similar astrological factors, that personality isn't a reliable rectification tool at all.

Depending on your age and how eventful your life has or hasn't been, you might not have 10 events to use. Even if you do, it would cost you much less to pay the $60 for your birth certificate than to pay an astrologer to rectify your chart, and it would take much less time to go through the process of getting it than to become knowledgeable enough to rectify your own.

It sounds like documentation of your birth time exists, just not in your possession. In that case, the best thing to do is get it into your possession. Rectification is for people who genuinely don't know their birth times and no documentation exists for them.

LisaDiane

Yes, yes....(*sigh!*)....I DO want to get a copy of my original birth certificate, but I'm not even sure that a birth time will be on it, and I was doing SO WELL with this whole process using my personality -- well, my basic thoughts, feelings, what's important to me, what direction my life has taken, etc!
I never expected to have the Aspects not match up to what the Houses said!!

Here is an example:

I picked the Houses based on which ones were within the timeframe of the Moon/Rising signs that I AM SURE are "Me" -- for the Sun, that is House 9 or 10

Well, the Sun in House 10 is NOTHING like me -- it's all about being driven, wanting power, career, image, etc - I am literally the exact opposite of that!
So I picked House 9, much more like me -- expansive, knowledge-loving, sometimes self-righteous....
BUT, when I checked the Aspects for the timeframes of my Sun in House 9, they were not very accurate; and when I moved forward to where they started to match-up with how I am, I was back in House 10!!!

So I was wondering, even outside of my particular situation and chart, if there is a conflict between the two, WHICH holds more "weight" - Houses or Aspects?? WHICH has more influence?

Osamenor

Staff member

The house descriptions you're using are cookbook astrology. If it's cookbook astrology, it's definitely not going to fit everyone who has that placement. There are so many factors that could affect how personality manifests. Even people whose charts are so similar that we could call them birth chart twins have different personalities. Where the similarities show up is life events with similar underlying themes happening around the same time.

Your birth certificate is your best bet. If it doesn't have a birth time on it, then you can look into rectification. If the birth time it gives is right on the hour or half hour, it's likely to be rounded, so then you could look to rectification to get greater accuracy, but at least you'll have an approximately accurate chart.

JUPITERASC

Ok, I've recently started learning as much as possible about Natal Astrology, and I LOVE it - it's FASCINATING!!!

I do, however, have a general idea of the time (from my mom), and I've been able to narrow it down to a 1 1/2 hour window by figuring out my moon sign, and then my ascendant.
So I have been working inward, trying to narrow it further, looking to the Houses next, and then the Aspects....but now I've uncovered a strange problem that I never expected -- if I figure the time based on the Houses, the Aspects seem wrong/don't FIT me; but when I pick a time based on the Aspects that seem accurate (within that 1 1/2 hr window), then the Houses are way off!!

I would love to get an original Birth Certificate, but it would end up costing around $60 total (finding, printing, notarizing, sending it), so I thought with a little work I could figure it out, but I never expected to have such contradicting choices...how do I know which is right?

THANKS!!!
RECTIFICATION TIPS thread - Verifying Ascendant/Descendant/MC/IC angles
discussion with various methodologies and some examples :smile:
at
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51626

Yes, yes....(*sigh!*)....I DO want to get a copy of my original birth certificate, but I'm not even sure that a birth time will be on it, and I was doing SO WELL with this whole process using my personality -- well, my basic thoughts, feelings, what's important to me, what direction my life has taken, etc!
I never expected to have the Aspects not match up to what the Houses said!!

Here is an example:

I picked the Houses based on which ones were within the timeframe of the Moon/Rising signs that I AM SURE are "Me" -- for the Sun, that is House 9 or 10

Well, the Sun in House 10 is NOTHING like me -- it's all about being driven, wanting power, career, image, etc - I am literally the exact opposite of that!
So I picked House 9, much more like me -- expansive, knowledge-loving, sometimes self-righteous....
BUT, when I checked the Aspects for the timeframes of my Sun in House 9, they were not very accurate; and when I moved forward to where they started to match-up with how I am, I was back in House 10!!!

So I was wondering, even outside of my particular situation and chart, if there is a conflict between the two, WHICH holds more "weight" - Houses or Aspects?? WHICH has more influence?

LisaDiane

THANK YOU both for your replies! I am thoroughly enjoying learning about Astrology, and am reading and even taking notes on everything I find -- it's fascinating and gives such insight and understanding about people (including myself!)!!

I really appreciate the links to the other threads...Rectification is another aspect of Astrology that is exciting and holds so many possibilities - I wonder if I could use that as a tool while working on the birth charts of my friends and family, as well as my own...?!

Still, everything I can learn about Astrology is very welcomed!!! :smile:

love-thinking

THANKS!!!

I rectified my chart through progressions.

This is how I did it. 10th house-father
10th house lord in 8th house of death. How you do this is you add a degree each year to your house cusp. When the house cusp hits a planet on that year something big will happen.

So when I just turned fifteen, my 8th house cusp progressed to my 10th house ruler-guess who passed away?

I had to work with 10 minutes to be fair. You have more work to do because you have to rectify within an hour. So let's say you are working with ascendents-analyze what signs you are definitely not or don't look like. The reason why I say figure out what you are not because most of us embody a combination of 4-6 archetypes that come out at different times in our lives around different people. Otherwise, we would seem much more distinctive and yet same as those in our zodiac sign. I'd say make a list of things you are not or never will be. These four to six archetypes that you embody come from placements of planets in signs, aspects-usually hard but you can use the trine, and houseplacements.

Example of a list looks like: I am not orderly, don't seek attention or like socializing very much. I don't get much attention even though when people do notice me they think I'm good looking. I don't express my feelings too much.

Then look at what areas of your life you need more improvement in. For example, personally I can work hard but I hate routine and I hate feeling stuck within the boundaries of a workplace. -I have Saturn in Pisces in the 6th house. Saturn does not do well in pisces. So let's say there's an area of your life that needs improvement and let's say you intuitively know that this planet deserves to go here. You may be right then apply it with the technique I mentioned earlier. If it works with a major event- you know you got the right birth time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nF6B0wD2OGo

She uses vedic astrology principles on thr tropical zodiac so you will find her helpful.

You can also look at lunar mansion/Nakshatra afterwards to confirm things.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakshatra

https://www.cosmetiqueastrology.com/in-depth-nakshatras

I use the tropical zodiac so just look at the Nakshatra for your tropical zodiac for the degree and find out if the traits for the nakshatras match your traits.