aspects and configurations...that make good writers

Momma's Kumquat

I have mercury quintile moon. the articulation of feelings into words (written or spoken)

Moon quintile Mercury
You have a gift for expressing emotions and communicating feelings. You are probably a very talented poet. You gain much support through your brilliance in communicating, and may find numerous creative ways to express this exceptional ability. You are a fascinating conversationalist.

Moon quintile Mercury: Adopting a style of intelligent perceptiveness and of articulate commuication of feelings; creating a rational structure of thought for understanding the world; seems to be connected with wit, humour, and especially with satire.

neptune and pluto aspects to mercury are probably beneficial, having planets in gemini can't hurt either!

Momma's Kumquat

yes it was. I was slightly sceptical about that part too, but after thinking about it I realised that's really the secret to great comedy, the gift of perception.

Cheminsky

thanks for the responses so far!
and yes, very much so MK. that's why Seinfeld was probably one of the most successful television shows in America- the writing focused on the mundane but each episode brought lines that were incisive and perceptive about human nature.

Momma's Kumquat

"Moon sextile or trine Mercury
It is easy and natural for those born under a harmonious aspect between the Moon and Mercury to make easy conversation, to be inquisitive and interested in the world around them, and to express themselves well. With the ability to make sense out of emotions and feelings, these people have common sense and help others out readily and willingly. Need some good advice? Turn to these people. They factor in emotional considerations, and tend to treat you as an individual, hearing your problems in this manner..."

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/moonmercuryaspects.html

[edited too long quote against forum rules - Moderator]

I think it's generally harmonious aspects to mercury, but then again, the more harsh aspects will be what's providing inspiration. the third house of communication should probably be taken into account. I think it's down to articulation of feelings mainly, if by a good writer you mean someone that's interesting/compelling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momma's Kumquat

personally and I'm sure many people will agree, what I enjoy about art/comedy/writing, is the element of truth. and if you can articulate your deeper feelings, people recognise the honesty and appreciate it. it's all part of the web of humanity trying to find a way to communicate. (in my opinion, of course.)

Kannon

It is a mixture of Mercurial factors, including planets in Gemini or Virgo (Stephen King) and 9th house/Jupiter/Sag and/or Neptunian type factors (Pisces, 12th, etc).

Vagabondgirl

I have mercury/pluto in the 6th sextile neptune in the 8th. I was never ever good at writing the litterature kind:/ But on the other hand, writing things about biology, psychology and science gave me better grades:D I actually had almost no interest for novels and that kind when I was younger, I like sticking more to the "facts" or theories about things. I even have Gemini AC, and, moon, venus, mars in virgo. I wonder if it has anything to do with mercury square jupiter....

My mum is extremely good at writing stories, novels etc. But too bad she never used it for a carreer or something....Now its kind of too late cause shes 56 I guess.

She has Mercury, Jupiter, Sun, Uranus in cancer 11th house.

Mercury is conjunct jupiter closely (in contrast to my mercury SQUARE jupiter)
Mercury also trines saturn in scorpio.

She has Leo AC with venus and pluto in the 1st conjunct AC.

Moon and mars in the 5th together with NN. Maybe has something to do with creativity also??

Neptune in the 3rd --> Very creative mind, but not able to achieve anything academically because of problems concentrating and so on.

Last edited:

Momma's Kumquat

yes, like you say Leccellrein, usually great writers live horribly mundane lives, and their writing is their form of escapism. and of course, you can have someone who can simplfy science into very readable text but completley lack the imagination to create something out of nothing.

I have gemini sun/mercury and virgo moon. I have no time for fictional stories what so ever, they rarley interest me at all. but I'll spend hours reading information and song lyrics.

Selene

Writing is my talent, if I had to pick one. I used to write poetry when I was a teen, got published a few times (nothing popular or famous though). My writing skills in academia have been praised ever since I was in primary school. I can write well in three languages.

The aspect that did it for me:

Mercury conjunct Venus trine Neptune.

I think that Mercury-Neptune aspects can lead to creative writing.

Joz

Jupiter and Saturn conjunct can indicate long lasting influence and legacy. John Lennon has it exact in his chart, and the songs he's written have become classics.

Dew9

Jupiter and Saturn conjunct can indicate long lasting influence and legacy. John Lennon has it exact in his chart, and the songs he's written have become classics.

:w00t: I have this. And I always feel obsessed to leave an influence/legacy/lasting impact on people via my writing. :cool: But rarely feel active or ready enough to do what I should!

Maybe my mercury trines Mars and Saturn in Scorpio 10th house with my moon in taurus in 4th PROBABLY make me too lazy at times to sit down and write and get moving to make the money flow in.:annoyed: Mars opposed Moon, in this case... Phew.

:lol: I have Mercury and sun in Pisces 2nd which is 80 degrees to my Neptune/Jupiter in Capricorn in 11th. :love: probably that explains my easy outflow of musical type of poetry and some song lyrics. :whistling::biggrin:

N yes, I have been published too but nothing big enough yet. Maybe I should go more in popular fiction writing, to get more money to foot my bills. :unsure:

Selene said about her 'writing skills in academia have been praised' and that she can write well in three languages. I studied and write in three as well and my Mercury conjuncts my Venus in 1st house too. :)

With Neptune in 11th and Pluto in 9th, I do admit that novels etc, sometimes do not appeal to me- they have to be gripping, supernatural, mystical- a lot of helping mankind kind of thing. But yeah, maybe that would mean that inspirational writing , creative non-fiction stuffs, and supernatural creative fiction comes easier to me. N I agree it does, though I haven't got anything of that sort published yet...

Moon quintile Mercury. I have it. People have complimented me for my speaking skills but to say 'fascinating conversationalist' might be too much for me I think...I often find others have not understood what I said or shun away coz they find me too erratic!! Uranus is there for that in 11th.

Selene

:w00t: Selene said about her 'writing skills in academia have been praised' and that she can write well in three languages. I studied and write in three as well and my Mercury conjuncts my Venus in 1st house too. :)

Self-expression through writing in your case is a must. My venus-mercury conjunction is in the 10th (Equal House System) and I have a need to make my writing (in my case academic) known. I even teach research writing skills at the college levels amongst other things.

With this conjunction in the first, you are probably a great "subjective" writer. I am assuming that such a position can bring forth poetry, lyrics, even books on topics that are very person to you, stemming from your own experiences.

By the way Dew9, I also have my Moon in Taurus and Moon oppose Mars.
When I was younger I was a self-declared poet. I produced poetry between the ages of 11 and 19. Today, I no longer have this need.

Claire19

Gemini planets. Strong air element. A good Mercury and strong third house along with perhaps the 9th, Jupiter and Sagittarius for publishing and good story telling. Neptune in the mix for imagination. 12th house for ability to be alone which is necessary for any writer.

Claire19

His Libran sun adds to this. I am not sure about the Jupiter Saturn.mmmmmmm . Venus and Mercury indicates song writing. Jupiter belongs with publishing I agree and Saturn can indicate enduring influence I guess....I must have a look at his chart to see where the talents come in...:lol:

Last edited:

Dew9

Self-expression through writing in your case is a must. My venus-mercury conjunction is in the 10th (Equal House System) and I have a need to make my writing (in my case academic) known. I even teach research writing skills at the college levels amongst other things.

With this conjunction in the first, you are probably a great "subjective" writer. I am assuming that such a position can bring forth poetry, lyrics, even books on topics that are very person to you, stemming from your own experiences.

By the way Dew9, I also have my Moon in Taurus and Moon oppose Mars.
When I was younger I was a self-declared poet. I produced poetry between the ages of 11 and 19. Today, I no longer have this need.

You are right Selena, I do find myself often in need to write my emotions down 'to understand what I am feeling,' to vent it out etc... And yes I do tend to express my feelings via writing better than via speaking... I am impressed with your skills more though- do not want to be tagged as emo-writer or something of the kind for now. ;)

Yes, poetry in all the three languages come out very easily out of me...songs as well, and yes I think I better go into creative non-fiction, personal experience kind of thing etc...Often find myself reflecting too much on life after reading any minor philosophical idea...

About Moon in Taurus 4th square Mars in Scorpio 10th, maybe that explains some of my publications- it all happened accidentally. It does conflict sometimes, I assert myself more now....in which house is your Moon in Taurus? and your Mars?

Lately, I read that the Moon in 4th makes the person end up writing from home. Wondering.... ?

Last edited:

scorpittarian

I think i write quite well based on responses from people. My work has a lot of exaggeration & sarcasm & non-ficition is what em really into. Whatever i write/speak is either hated or loved & usually comes across as powerful.

i've mercury @ 0 sag conjunct scorp pluto,sag venus & nnode in the 10H.
mercury rules my 5H & 8H. But em not in2 poetry!

i also hve neptune on the asc & moon trine asc which mk my face very expressive.

with mercury & venus conj & merc ruling those 2 houses looks like i should gv writing novels on romance & sex a try...:smile:incase i become a flop lawyer.

Claire19

"Moon sextile or trine Mercury
It is easy and natural for those born under a harmonious aspect between the Moon and Mercury to make easy conversation, to be inquisitive and interested in the world around them, and to express themselves well. With the ability to make sense out of emotions and feelings, these people have common sense and help others out readily and willingly. Need some good advice? Turn to these people. They factor in emotional considerations, and tend to treat you as an individual, hearing your problems in this manner..."

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/moonmercuryaspects.html

[edited too long quote against forum rules - Moderator]

I think it's generally harmonious aspects to mercury but then again, the more harsh aspects will be what's providing inspiration. the third house of communication should probably be taken into account. I think it's down to articulation of feelings mainly, if by a good writer you mean someone that's interesting/compelling.
there is an easy connection with feelings and thoughts when in harmony. I have a third house Moon in square to Mercury and always had trouble with dealing with siblings when feelings involved.....However can also dwell too much on trivia and gossip. A conflict with emotions and logic when upset. Find it hard to articulate

Last edited:

Kenoshamaensa

As has sort of been indicated by some of the answers, WHAT you write has a lot to do with the aspects involved.

A strong, well-aspected Mercury in an "articulate" sign or house is a first step to any sort of *lucid* writing, be that fiction or non-fiction, popular or academic.

In RL, I happen to have a number of writer friends and I've published myself, both in academia and fiction. From my observation of the charts I have for published friends, I've found these things to be common themes (if not absolutes):

--Writing SF/F ... strong Neptune and Uranus placements aspecting Mercury. They don't have to be flowing, but they need to be there. The ability to imagine seems to be key. It's not just houses, btw. Every single published SF/F author who let me cast her/his chart had a Mercury in aspect to either Neptune or Uranus *or both*. Other planets might be involved, but it was always one or the other of those two. (That's not to say one can't publish in SF/F without it, but I was struck by the almost overwhelming presence of them .)

--Writing penetrating academic stuff ... Pluto, 9th house, 3rd house, Sagittarius, Aquarius relating to Mercury. Also sometimes Mars-Saturn positive aspects to Mercury. Mars-Mercury alone doesn't necessarily make one careful (as academia requires), just pugnacious. ;> Too much Jupiter with Mercury can cause expansive, but unrealistic conclusions. A strong Saturn and/or Pluto and/or Virgo, and/or Aquarius is good for academia.

--Writing Romance, again a lot of Neptune and/or Venus involved, 5th house, 7th house. (But I'll admit, I only looked at a couple of Romance writers charts as opposed to a LOT of SF/F authors charts.)

Mercury making sextiles or trines to "creative" planets like Neptune or Venus were things I saw a lot of, regardless.

(For the record, myself, I have a Mercury-Pluto-Uranus conjunction in Virgo 7th sextiling Neptune in Scorpio 9th.)

Last edited: