I am afraid that I'm unemphatetic because I lack water element in my natal chart

Aastrologic

So... I read that it's important to have water in natal chart.
I have
15x Fire
8x Earth
3x Air
1x water

I'm afraid that I don't have emotions or empathy..

Osamenor

Staff member
Lack of water doesn't mean you don't have emotions or empathy, at least, not in the sense of not having compassion. It just means you're not so easily swayed by other people's emotions, as people who have a lot of water in their charts would be. That can actually make you better able to deal with others in an emotional situation and respond with compassion, because if you're not easily swayed, you can still keep your wits about you and decide what to do.

There's some more in depth discussion on that here: https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120539

Lin

Everyone has emotions. The moon rules the emotional "mechanism". Position or aspects to the moon show how the mechanism is likely to operate.

Some people have little empathy but they have experienced sympathy.

Then there is compassion, which means feeling the same feelings as a person who is undergoing pain or stress or sorrow.

No one is completely alienated from feeling - or feeling something for or about others.

And if someone is without feelings which are totally inhibited, it would take more than not having planets or positions in water.
LIN

mahaira

You've got some great answers here and I would like to add that empathy, sympathy and compassion, though maybe similar, are different concepts, but very often they are used interchangeably, hence the confusion.

Empathy is the ability to experience other people's feelings (which can be debilitating), while sympathy is understanding and caring about other's feelings.
Compassion goes beyond these two concepts - it is the cognitive ability to understand one's feelings (without actually being overwhelmed by the feelings themselves) and caring for others but also wanting to help (in the way that you can at that moment, even if it is just to send that person positive energy or pray for him).

Some people are born and grow up in a surrounding which gives them a stronger tendency towards sympathy, but compassion is something that is consciously cultivated on all levels (thoughts, words and actions). So, lacking water elements in one's natal chart is not an impediment per se in this regard.

Lin

It's true that these are not exactly alike. I was keeping it short to address the OP.

I think one is born with compassion. I think you may be able to learn sympathy from one's early upbringing. Empathy is also, I believe, innate.

In my early childhood my parents "talked" about caring about how terrible racism and bigotry is....and talked about "caring" about those less fortunate.
But my mother wrote very few checks to any charity. She didn't extend her sympathy to me or anyone she felt was "undeserving". She had no idea how to bring up a daughter, tho there had been 2 girls and 4 boys in HER original family (and I was an only child.)

When I (very early) had the instinct to "help" people, she wanted to know why I didn't ask HER what I could do for her.....instead. In fact she made me feel that I was lacking in feeling for HER by wanting to help others.

It wasn't until I began to learn astrology and was able to read both my own chart and hers that I felt we might have come from different planets. It was a blessing to know that we were just different and born that way.

I never saw her cry during a movie or show any compassion when a friend's husband died or even when her friends began to be ill and died. She never spoke to me or at home about these tragedies or feeling terrible for her friends.

She put up with our dog when I was a kid, because my father like him.....but resented the money they had to spend from time to time on the dog.

I never saw any sweetness or selflessness for the sake of another - she was not as bad with my children as she was with me, but they ended up feeling "lacking" (they told me later) and it was hard to balance the negativity they got in her care when I had to work part time and they had to stay with her after school. I know she resented this. Her only grandchildren, girls, and only 2 days a week.
This above description is a very small part of this oddity in character as I saw it.

When I began doing readings when I was studying astrology in the early days, she would ask me every week....are you getting paid for this yet? WHEN are you going to get PAID for this? Of course she also had the mind set of the "victim" and frankly, knowing this helped me deal with her in her last years.
She only had one planet in water, Neptune: but....she had several in Capricorn - opposing it.

So - you're born with compassion...it may not fully develop until the 3rd Jupiter return, but it should begin to be felt at 12 or 13.
LIN

Last edited: