Indicators of a Talent for Painting in the Natal Chart

Hi,

to make us all more native astrology wise I am asking this question:

"What do you think are the most important astrology elements in the natal chart of an individual with a talent for painting?" :idea:

LittleMermaid :D .

Mary

I don´t know about painting but i have very nice drawing skill, these seems to be natural and inherited from mom and grandma (also my music ability is inherited from them)

I love to draw in pencil, with shades reflecting reality (my favoruites are Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclasicism, Romanticism and Realism) Also very good at faces, very good at giving expresion to the eyes.I also love to draw and imagine landscapes, trees and houses, Victorian mansions with antiques.

My chart ruler is Mercury, it´s in taurus and it sextiles it´s dispositor; Venus, which is in Pisces. Have Ceres Scorpio in the 5th trine Venus. Heavy aspected neptune.

Cancer is interecepted in my 1st house and my moon is conjucnt my ASC, opposed to neptune, leo is also co-ruler of 1st (small part) My Sun is in Taurus semisqaure Venus.

Mars is in libra conjuncnt pallas (techincal skills, ability to see patterns and this is quite curious because one way i learn so fast music , any instrument or ever memorize or read music studies or anything is my ability to see patterns) I also read that pallas is the ability or skill of time-spacial perspective and I always was very good at "catching" perspective whenever I had to draw.
I was fascinated at drawing houses and designing clothes (and sewing them!) for my dolls (how tender!)

Most of my chart is air. Neptune, venus and moon are strong in my chart. Taurus, Pisces, Libra, Gemini and cancer are the strongest signs.

Summing up, look at the whole chart, Pisces and Taurus maybe Virgo (techical skills) in touch with neptune, venus. Your pallas (skills). Your mercury (hands) Also the moon (imagination, writing) and Uranus (genius, creativity) Mercury - saturn is ability to build, could be architecture but also composition, maybe placed in artistic signs or in contact with venus, neptune.
Also look for quintiles, and biquintiles for talent. One example: I have Mercury in taurus (artistic ability with hands) biquitile Saturn in libra in the 4th (maybe that´s why I loved to draw houses) saturn dispositor; venus also sextiles mercury. I would have made a good architect (sun in tarus in the 10th) but I lack more techical factors (virgo - capricron) and saturn is not too strong in my chart. Í´m love the artistic side of architechture...mm gothic architecture!!

Arian Maverick

It seems like we have a lot more musicians on this board than painters :lol:

But seriously, does anyone have more insight into possible indicators of artistic talent? I'd do a Google search, but it's incredibly difficult to find what you're looking for :?

Aquarian Maverick

Lunar Pisces

I looked at the charts of various famous paonters and found, itnerestingly, a number of them had a Saturn singleton - espeically ones that challenged the status quo. Uranus singeltons were also common, but not as common as Saturn ones.

Picasso, as I recall, had neither. He had a moon singleton.

I paint, although I don't think I've that great. I have teh desire, and so I do it. I kind liek the thought of doing something not because I can do it well, but simply because I can. I focus so much prefectionist energies on everything else I do that it's good that I have one activity to balance it out. I think my desire to paint comes from my Piscean/Neptunian energies in my chart.

Painting is a visual art and it requires an understanding of not just color and form, but media, texture, and various other elements that are intended to impact the audience through sight. With that in mind here's a few charts of my favorite painters:

Max Ernst had a Saturn singleton (only planet in personal houses), which empahized his Sautrnine nature as indicated by a Cap moon. Mars in taurus, combined with this Saturnine essence, sees to indicate Ernst's highly refined techniques and refined aesthetic, as well as his stubbornness and difficulty with authority (Ernst was his own authority). His Aries Sun and Gem Venus indicate his very dramatic, capriciousand (at times) mocking nature that was expressed in his art as well. Note also that Uranus is in the 5th - house of creativity - and its quincunxes his Venus. Ernst was part of both the Dadaists and Surrealists, two group that greatly challegned the staus quo.

Paul Klee has an Aries Saturn singelton (only cardinal planet) in teh 1st, along with Pisces moon rising conjunct Jupiter. Saturn also opposes Uranus in the 7th. A very intense 1st house. Although a quiter persona than Ernst, Klee liekwise challenged the staus quo. Note his Sag Mercury int he 9th near the MC - this squares his moon and trines his Saturn. He obviously felt the need to communicate, yet with a Pisces moon rising, he had to do so indirectly, iimaginatively, intutiively, even spiritually, as one can see in his surrealist art. Like many Piscean artists, Klee focused also more on imagination and transcendant meaning than techinique, even though he used a wide variety of techinque in very idiosyncratic ways.

Piet Mondrian is another Piscean painter who liekwise challenged convention to create art that was enfused to transcendant meaning and purpose. An intriguing thing about Mondrian's work, which is often ridiculed by critics as "soulless," is that he was that prefect Piscean: he drowned his own sense of ego to find his art. The piscean theme in his chart is emphasized by a crowded 1st house where Pisces is intercpeted and Moon and venus in the 12th. Techincally, his Pluto in Taurus is a singleton (only planet in a reactive or fixed house), which adds a Taurean influence to all that Piscean energy.

Arian Maverick

Look at the smilie I found!
mixed-smiley-040.gif

Arian Maverick

Missa

I'd take a look at Venus (art, beauty) and possibly Mars (skills, technique), Venus should be well aspected - preferably aspected to Mars as well. Moon and Mercury might also be significant because creating art is often a way to express emotions and thoughts. And I'd definitely try to see if there is any Libra or Taurus on the chart, especially these signs on Midheaven could make the person artist.

I have Sun and Mercury in Libra (in 2nd and 3rd houses), Venus conjunct Mars and Ascendant and trine Midheaven in Taurus. I used to paint and draw a lot when I was younger, I even wanted to become a painter when I grow up... but then I became more interested in music. I still like art in all forms though, and lately I've been thinking about starting to draw again, I just need to buy some equipment first.

RockFish

I'd also take a look at aspects between Venus-Neptune, and Venus-Jupiter. Neptune seems very important.

I am a painter, and have Venus conjunct with Neptune in 11th house, both saggitarius. Venus is in sextile with Midheaven (libra), and in trine with Jupiter in 7th house (leo). Venus is also in square with Saturn, which challenges the whole shebang, but also intensifies it.

My husband is a painter too, and he earns his money from it. It is his day to day work. He has Neptune in 10th house Saggitarius, trining Sun conjunct with Venus in 2nd house, Aries, which is probably the indicator of him making money with painting. He is an action painter, which means he paints quick landscapes on the streets, as a street show, and I guess the Sun-Venus conjunction in Aries is what renders the "action" part of the whole thing. Both Neptune and Sun+Venus are in sextile with the conjunct Mars-Jupiter in 12th house, both in the cusp between Capricorn and Aquarius.

Pablo Picasso has Venus (Libra, 2nd house) trining the conjunct Jupiter-Pluto in tenth.

I don't think it is so easy to determin if a person will be prone to painting by looking at a chart. Frida Kahlo, for example, has Venus conjunct with Pluto, both squaring Saturn. That is a difficult aspect, which may be accountable for the fact that she started painting after a near-death experience and months of convalescence on a bed. The most affected part of her body were her hips, and she became sterile after the accident.

In any case, a strong Venus (even with difficult aspects) can be an indication.

I think it is easier to determin the style of painting by a chart. If it will be dark and mysterious, or sunny and cheerful, etc.

Hope this helps.

Carole

Mmmmmm....Mary, we have a lot in common!:)

I, like you, have a strong artistic vein. I was born with awesome skills to do a lot of things (mostly artistic) without previous learning or training. I could write here about everything I do and have done, but I would sound terribly boastful, so I will only say that when I was 12 years old I made a painting of a Virgin with child (using oil) that made me win a scholarship to formally study painting at the Fine Arts School in my birthplace, which was wasted as I didn't have the patience to draw and learn what I was told to instead of what I wanted to (youthful arrogance).

So, for those who are interested, I have tried to pinpoint this artistic ability in my own natal chart and the conclusion I have reached is that, at least in my case it must be the influence of Jupiter ruling the 5th house (cusp in Pisces and Mars in it), and Venus in Libra conjunct Spica in 12th house and (according to some) conjunct Neptune in Scorpio and 1st house also. (Neptune conjunts my ascendant but from 12th house). I give no more than 7 degrees for conjunctions. Most of my planets are not so well dignified, and even Venus being in Libra is in a cadent and malefic house.

Mercury in Sagittarius in 1st house and Uranus conjunct Midheaven in 10th house (cusp in Leo) are the two most aspected planets in my chart.

I hope this can be of some help.

Carole

Last edited:

SunMoonStar

I've been wondering the same exact thing! :confused: The thing that's plagued me most since I first got into astrology is I could never see anything that indicated too much creativity in my chart, although it's by far the quality that's most prominent in me.

Glad to see a couple people mention Neptune/Venus aspect because I have a 1deg orb sextile between them :)

Anyway, the way I've interpreted my chart to account for my own creativity is that I have very (very) deep emotions indicated by a lot of water (mostly Scorpio) and Moon in native Cancer and native 4th house on the IC, which trines my Sun (allowing me to be in touch with these emotions). Then I have a very strong Mercury, so I'm able to communicate these emotions.

That's all I could figure out... hearing about this Venus thing, would mine be enhanced by having Taurus rising? I think my chart ruler is either Moon or Mercury because of how strongly they're placed, but I really don't understand that stuff. If anyone feels like taking a look, I'm Nov. 21 1986, 15:37 EST in Secaucus, NJ. My primary focus is music and I've read that a few people on this board also do music which is very cool :)