Transits for Quitting Cigarettes

The_Saturnian

Hello ImNotThere9 Neptune (the planet relating to addictions) is at home in Pisces at the moment after about 168 years, but is currently retrograding back towards Aquarius for approximately 9 months. This retrograde will make Neptune conjunct the stellium of 4 planets in your 5th house. I would wait until Neptune has started moving forward again, particularly once it has past your natal Saturn and before it comes into conjunct with your natal Sun in the 6th.

On a non-astrological note, I would say that there is no time better than now. If I may suggest, I wrote a long piece on how I quit smoking permanently and am withdrawal free now. If you'd like, have a look at this thread and see my elongated explanation on how I quit :)

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53676&highlight=cigarette

I wish you the very best of luck in your quest for quitting. Let me know how it goes.

aquarius7000

Hi,

I agree with The Saturnian. At least, text-book Astrology does say that doing anti-addictive therapies when Nep (=addiction) is rx can, when the planet goes over the entire route again during its forward motion, cause a relapse. In some cases, as per individual natal placements-transits (or prog Moon in a fixed sign) a good Sat transit (in a trine to one of the personal planets/ruler of 8th or 12th houses, even to the 1st) may help counter the effect of rx Nep.

All that being said, this is not to encourage to continue smoking all the months ahead of Nep's retreat. I am sure, Nep would want you to 'wash' your hands off that unhealthy habit. In Piscean charts, it likes to be heard, and put to positive use. Go check your Sat out.

:)AQ7

Last edited:

wintersprite1

Premium Member
The idea that Transit Mars over Natal Pluto sounds like a good time to aim for. I quit 3 years ago when Transit Saturn was RX station on my Natal Pluto for a few days. It took place in appropriately in my 8th house, as the issue was monetary and I was having trouble getting business partners to pay off loans that were owed to me at the time. So at least in my case, the motive was seen in the chart also.

I wish you the best of luck!

TK

The_Saturnian

Saturnian,

Thanks for your link, your counsel, and your time. I do not think that I will forbear until November with the cigarettes, which is when, I believe, Neptune goes direct again. Perhaps if I were to remain steadfast after stopping this transit would come to my rescue when it transpires?

Your are most welcome ImNotThere9. Of course you should take your time in deciding as to when you wish to commence the challenge. In my recommended method even if you fail to quit, the least you can say to yourself is that you have made some progress in the right direction rather than taking no action whatsoever.

Smoking is one thing that I have made it my point to try and counsel and help as many people as I can before I die. I was diagnosed in 2009 with GERD (Gastro Esophegual Reflux Disease), and my family GP told me point blank: "If you don't quit now that you are likely to develop an ulcer in your stomach and it may go cancerous/kill you". I'm not trying to scare you, however, this statement was a wake up call and I mustered the confidence and quit it in 1.5 years. :cool:

Today I now suffer from IBS induced GERD and hypoglycemia :( which I think may be related to my smoking addiction. Not everyone gets this who quits so don't be afraid at all. My condition(s) are partly genetically inhereted from my dad who smokes also. As a result of being diagnosed with these conditions, I had decided to help as many people quit smoking as pain-free as possible because I don't want anyone else to suffer what I am going through.

So you should definately take your time in quitting. Slow and steadywill always win the race :D

Once again I wish you the best of luck, and if you need to talk about thing I'll glad to read your posts and respond back.

Nerld

Saturnian,

Thanks for your link, your counsel, and your time. I do not think that I will forbear until November with the cigarettes, which is when, I believe, Neptune goes direct again. Perhaps if I were to remain steadfast after stopping this transit would come to my rescue when it transpires?

Aquarius,

Ah, perusing your response answers that question. Hello, my friend, how are you keeping? I think I will risk Neptune's forward motion, even if it brings a relapse, as I am eager to stop smoking. If I do relapse, it may be easier again to stop with Neptune's consent when the time comes.
I have still picture of Neptune. I collect them from internet. They are really precious to me. Because I have real interest in astrology. I can understand some about this.

miquar

Hi. I think that you already know that you are ready to stop again, so I don't see the point of waiting for a particular day. As you say, there comes a time when you lose sight of the point of abstaining any longer, and this is the issue for you to look into. If you can look at transits, including to midpoints of the times when you stopped and started, you may see that a pattern exists. If you don't have a way to work out these timings, you can just wait and see if you are tempted to lapse again, and then if that time comes, look at the transits occurring then, and try to understand how else you could fulfil the part of you which is being triggered by the transits without reverting to transits.

It sounds as though the part of you which reverts is quite needy - of being attractive to others, and of not being excluded from social groups. With this in mind, you can also pre-empt the next possible lapse by working on these issues. Also perhaps if your weight is important, you could exercise to compensate for increased appetite, or choose a particular way of eating, eg vegan or lots of raw food, which doesn't tend to lead to excessive accumulation of weight.

Just some thoughts. I didn't look at the chart, because I don't think that current transits are the issue.

ImNotThere9

Miquar,

This thread is two years old. Thanks for drawing my attention to it but it's no longer relevant - at least not to me, though the responses might be useful to others. All the same I appreciate the percipience of your response.

All the best

INT

miquar

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I hope you managed to quit. If not, then maybe there's synchronicity in the timing of Nerld reviving the thread!

Kitchy

Banned
Usually Saturn is involved in high amounts - fortitude to clean up messes, get serious or the other side - hurt yourself for being so bad.

I'd look for Pluto in ultimate cold turkey staying power. Neptune will give you 10 drug option for the 1 that you are trying to rid yourself of.

The core question is Moon - you have a notion about quitting cigarettes but you doubt your strength?

Look to transits when Moon is fortified - either by aspect or lunar return aspect.

Pistachio

Thanks so much for the reply! so sorry about my chart. Hopefully this works:

Attachments

• astro_245gw_01_m_201685.67753.28529.jpg
    astro_245gw_01_m_201685.67753.28529.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 14