The truth about retrograde planets?

Lykanized

I know some people think they're irrelevant, and that's valid, but for those who do think they're relevant, what do you think they mean? It seems there's no real agreement on their meaningfulness
Personally, I have Mercury, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto all retrograde and I'd be very interesting in how they may affect my overall chart or analysis of my chart

Another curious thing to delve into would be the effect of two retrograde planets aspecting each other

dr. farr

Interpretation of rx planetary indications is a difficult matter at best: historically Western traditional astrology has given a negative emphasis to rx planets; while at the same time traditional Vedic astrology has always had a diametrically opposed interpretation, consider rx planets to be enhanced both in their power and in their positive tendencies. Others (especially among Western Modernists) have considered rx planets to represent self-conflict, ie, that the tendencies of an rx planet represent an "internal conflict" between the positive and the negative qualities of that planet, and that other factors affecting that rx planet will determine whether the positive or the negative potential of that rx planet will actually manifest.

Me?? After many years of considering this matter I have not come to any certain conclusions: I lean toward the Vedic perspective regarding rx, but I also lean strongly toward the "self conflicted" outlook mentioned above.

Lykanized

Interpretation of rx planetary indications is a difficult matter at best: historically Western traditional astrology has given a negative emphasis to rx planets; while at the same time traditional Vedic astrology has always had a diametrically opposed interpretation, consider rx planets to be enhanced both in their power and in their positive tendencies. Others (especially among Western Modernists) have considered rx planets to represent self-conflict, ie, that the tendencies of an rx planet represent an "internal conflict" between the positive and the negative qualities of that planet, and that other factors affecting that rx planet will determine whether the positive or the negative potential of that rx planet will actually manifest.

Me?? After many years of considering this matter I have not come to any certain conclusions: I lean toward the Vedic perspective regarding rx, but I also lean strongly toward the "self conflicted" outlook mentioned above.
Thank you for the response!
I can tell you I'm a very troubled person. I mean right now I'm at a point where I'm able to work through a lot of my demons and feel hopeful in my continued abilities. But I'm a person who's had many issues in life and am also incredibly introverted by nature which would align with the interpretation of Rx planets being more 'internalized' or taking time for their power to manifest. I'm also a person highly given to internal conflict, conflict between various poles

For Mercury rx, I'm an extremely deep thinker, but my thoughts are often hard to communicate in words. I wonder if the interpretation I've read of them being more subjective and internalized might be true. Granted, my Mercury also has lots of aspects including to Uranus and Neptune

I suppose understanding Rx planets is always gonna be muddled by the fact any possible interpretation could also be explained by aspects, houses, etc.. But it's an interesting topic and I suppose I was interesting in it because I wonder if my retrogrades hold me back. One interpretation I read stated that retrograde individuals are meant to correct some bad karma

Lykanized

My Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto all have plenty of aspects, but my Saturn is nearly aspectless. I still find it hard to distinguish the Saturnian aspects of my personality. I prefer to see retrogrades as having more power, but perhaps being a slow burn with bursts of extreme, unmistakeable activity. But then I'd have to study them a lot more
I feel a lot of Mercury, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto influence in me, so I highly doubt the effect is weakening

david starling

That sounds like a Mercury-retrograde point of view! :wink:

JUPITERASC

I know some people think they're irrelevant, and that's valid
but for those who do think they're relevant
what do you think they mean?
It seems there's no real agreement on their meaningfulness
Personally, I have Mercury, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto all retrograde
and I'd be very interesting in how they may affect my overall chart
or analysis of my chart

Another curious thing to delve into would be the effect of two retrograde planets
aspecting each other

HELLENISTIC astrology states that
When a planet is in the interval of first station to second station
i.e. retrograde
the planet is not fit to conduct its business
because
it is described as “walking backwards” :smile:

Lykanized

HELLENISTIC astrology states that
When a planet is in the interval of first station to second station
i.e. retrograde
the planet is not fit to conduct its business
because
it is described as “walking backwards” :smile:
So what does this mean for someone with 5 retrograde planets?

I really like the idea that retrogrades mean we have to pave our own way, maybe they're not fit to conduct business in a conventional sense. I've read that those with lots of natal retrogrades may have a harder time getting on in life at first, but then find their stride later on. Maybe it's a case of finding their own way to harness the planetary energy of the retrograde

petosiris

Banned
What Jupiterasc mentions is true for some Hellenists. Paulus Alexandrinus groups retrograde planets with inoperative/cadent ones (ahrematistikos - not conducive to business as Jupiterasc said). However, personally, I am quite skeptical of that statement.

I agree with the traditional approach that slow and retreating planets are weaker, but I do not see it as important as angularity. If a planet is operative in the ''succedent'' houses, but it is retrograde I will look at it as somewhere between succedent and cadent strength. Another factor in Hellenistic astrology is whether the planet is making a heliacal rising (making it stronger) or setting (making it weaker) and I view that similar to speed (although I do not use the absurd 15 degree range).

Angularity is most important.

Also I do not think that retrograde stars are involved with delays, but that they are overall weaker throughout life. But if the star is angular, it is strong for good or bad.

Last edited: