Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 01-27-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
I can't actually understand the question "so the last aspect to culminate by primary directions is not Jupiter or Venus?" sorry dude. It's not you, it's me. If you want to teach me I'm happy to learn if you don't mind a stubborn and irritable student. I don't use primary directions or predictive techniques. It's my own chart, and Jupiter is the most elevated natal planet. I see no tight planetary aspects to the solar return MC, though there are several to Moon in 10th, and Sun, Jupiter, and SN are all in SR 5th.
Congratulations passiflora! Pregnancy may cause some irritability, no need to blame me.

Unread 01-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post

Did you know that the first posts of JA on the forum did not include bold navy colour font?

JA why did you start using that particular font?

Any particular reason?

that's Siriusly ancient history
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
petosiris (01-27-2020)
Unread 01-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Congratulations passiflora! Pregnancy may cause some irritability, no need to blame me.
This is why I have avoided traditional astrology in general - a question became a given.
The Following User Says Thank You to passiflora For This Useful Post:
david starling (01-27-2020)
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:00 PM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
This is why I have avoided traditional astrology in general - a question became a given.
Too pedantic, also.
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Can you explain? I have trouble following what has traditional astrology have to do with your irritation.
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Too pedantic, also.
Pedantry alone is not objectionable (to me anyway, I have a soft spot for passionates and nerds). My objection is more to incorrect pedantry, or pedantry used to direct an outcome towards the schema itself instead of towards life.

petosiris, above applies fairly well to traditional astrology as well as other subjects ;-)
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Too pedantic, also.
Too many details or rules? Like what?
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Too many details or rules? Like what?
Too much genius narrowly applied.
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Too much genius narrowly applied.
Pedantic Meaning: Almost Always an Insult
Pedantic is used more narrowly. It typically describes a particular kind of annoying person. You know the sort: the person who tends to correct small errors other people make and who pays way too much attention to minor details. Or the person who's an expert in some narrow, boring topic—and makes sure everyone else know the extent of that expertise.

Pedantic comes from the noun pedant, which originally wasn't a bad thing to be: a pedant was a household tutor or a schoolteacher. But the adjective pedantic seems to have been even from its 17th century beginnings something that not even a 17th century pedant would want to be. Pedant itself took on negative connotations soon after it was first used in the late 16th century, and it mostly keeps those negative connotations today. The "tutor" meaning is long gone; when pedant is not referring to someone who's pedantic, it refers to a teacher who highly values rules and precision.
- https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...ic-vs-pedantic
Unread 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM

I'd say you're a very demanding tutor.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
passiflora (01-31-2020)
Unread 01-27-2020, 04:40 PM

Not annoying though--inspirational!
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
petosiris (01-27-2020)
Unread 01-28-2020, 09:58 PM

There is reports of an earthquake in Jamaica and a tsunami warning. I hope our resident Tom Riddle is ok.
Unread 01-28-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
There is reports of an earthquake in Jamaica and a tsunami warning. I hope our resident Tom Riddle is ok.
@conspirator

Are you okay, bro?
The Following User Says Thank You to SunConjunctUranus For This Useful Post:
david starling (01-29-2020)
Unread 01-29-2020, 01:39 PM

Ok actually the earthquake was in the Caribbean and the tsunami warning subsequently for Jamaica. Just a warning so nothing has happened but a warning is scary enough.
There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious" - Carl Jung
The Following User Says Thank You to Ukpoohbear For This Useful Post:
david starling (01-30-2020)
Unread 01-30-2020, 11:50 PM

Passiflora, what's your opinion about the assertion that the transition into the Aquarian Age was evidenced by the tremendous interest in the early 20th Century in the very concept of the Ages themselves--an idea for which the time had come?
Unread 01-30-2020, 11:57 PM

Bernie Leads Biden By 9%! New Emerson Poll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=678K3E94eeo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 01-31-2020, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Passiflora, what's your opinion about the assertion that the transition into the Aquarian Age was evidenced by the tremendous interest in the early 20th Century in the very concept of the Ages themselves--an idea for which the time had come?
With a little more context we can discuss it. It seems that people in traditional societies have been using Ages to explain the peculiarity of existing perched at a point in history, for a very long time. Whether that was always tied to astrological Ages is hard to say. It would be good to ascertain when astrology became divorced from theology, cosmology, and political science more generally. It can't have been that very long ago. You are talking about the Theosophists?
Unread 01-31-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
With a little more context we can discuss it. It seems that people in traditional societies have been using Ages to explain the peculiarity of existing perched at a point in history, for a very long time. Whether that was always tied to astrological Ages is hard to say. It would be good to ascertain when astrology became divorced from theology, cosmology, and political science more generally. It can't have been that very long ago. You are talking about the Theosophists?
More about Karl Jung, who is credited with introducing the Aquarian Age into the public domain in a non-occult, secular manner. But, even with Jung's prestige supporting the concept, it still had to "resonant" on its own among millions of people.
Unread 01-31-2020, 02:50 AM

Quote:
More about Karl Jung, who is credited with introducing the Aquarian Age into the public domain in a non-occult, secular manner. But, even with Jung's prestige supporting the concept, it still had to "resonant" on its own among millions of people.
I am politely unsure of this take. You have a jungian in the family, I know. But Jung was quite spiritual, not exactly what we call secular today. And the deep yet accessible spirituality he wrote about has been practiced by millions of people outside Europe for a long time. He was unabashed in borrowing “oriental” concepts, not that there is anything wrong with cross-pollination, but I don’t know how one can date the earth with a merely Eurocentric center of gravity in thought forms.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I am politely unsure of this take. You have a jungian in the family, I know. But Jung was quite spiritual, not exactly what we call secular today. And the deep yet accessible spirituality he wrote about has been practiced by millions of people outside Europe for a long time. He was unabashed in borrowing “oriental” concepts, not that there is anything wrong with cross-pollination, but I don’t know how one can date the earth with a merely Eurocentric center of gravity in thought forms.
I take "secular" to mean "other than religious", rather than "non-spiritual". Jung believed the Aquarian Age will end religion as we know it, whereas the Theosophers tied it to a blend of Christianity and Hinduism.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I take "secular" to mean "other than religious", rather than "non-spiritual". Jung believed the Aquarian Age will end religion as we know it, whereas the Theosophers tied it to a blend of Christianity and Hinduism.
I don’t know. Religion, religare, is the yoke, like yoga. What’s getting yoked will certainly change. You can see lots of earth-centered local practices dying out through the flattening effect of globalization, weakening the yoke between social organization and local ecology and economy. It’s not only institutionalized monotheism with its authoritarian power structure that stands to be changed if the yoke itself dissolves. We are yoked by story, too. If the old libraries burn there needs to be something better than mere sci-fi to take its place.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:21 AM

What exactly is a non-institutional monotheism when every monotheistic religion has a law that requires jurisprudence? Perchance our great Western institutions that guarantee our 21st century quality of life arose from God's grace in certain Judeo-Christian values that are based on religious jurisprudence?

Last edited by petosiris; 01-31-2020 at 03:25 AM.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:23 AM

I think it's fair to say that the Precessional-age concept has been effectively ignored by Biblical Christians, standard Hinduism (which prefers the Yugas), AND, by most all modern-day siderealists, who view it as almost a non-factor in their astrology. It's the tropicalists who are expecting great changes ahead due to an Age of Aquarius, and not necessarily according to any particular religious beliefs.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:25 AM

Quote:
What exactly is a non-institutional monotheism when every monotheistic religion has a law that requires jurisprudence? Perchance our great Western institutions that guarantee our 21st century quality of life arose from God's grace in Judeo-Christian values?
I would trade faster internet for seeing large wheeling flocks of birds cover the skies again. No question.
Unread 01-31-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Blend of Christianity and Hinduism? Have you read the passage around 2 Corinthians 6:14? It speaks of yoga.