Don’t Be Foolish with Astrology

Frank

As April Fools’ Day draws near I’m concerned about any possible misinformation about astrology that might be unleashed upon the public and the media. With the recent kerfuffle about Zodiac Shifts and Thirteen Signs that anti-astrology denizens have seen fit to foist upon the public, it behooves astrologers to take the high road and not act upon impulse and try to trick the media and public.

I understand humor, satire, and general tomfoolery and am cognizant of its place in society. I am also a comic performer – and even wrote an April Fools’ Day piece some years ago. But that piece was for an audience of astrologers and those conversant with astrology – not for public consumption.

What some might see as a humorous idea – and enjoy perpetuating that on an unsuspecting and uninformed public – could turn into a public relations disaster for astrologers and astrology.

Any misinformation released to the public in an attempt to go viral and gain publicity could generate a huge backlash from those antagonistic toward astrology and generate mistrust in the media and general public.

As astrologers, I also ask you to consider that on April 1, 2011, we have Mercury just turned retrograde, stationary and peregrine in the Domicile and Term of Mars. Why would one want to risk satire being perceived as deception that engenders anger?

In a time when there is so much strife due to recent world events, is this a time to create possible negative publicity about astrology and astrologers? Wouldn’t our energies be better spent disseminating positive messages about astrology rather than seeking self-promotion via an ill-considered stunt?

Fellow professional astrologers and supporters of astrology, I implore you not to participate in any attempts to mislead the media or public.

byjove

Account Closed
Hi Frank and all,

I hope that nothing of this materializes on April Fool's Day!

I can't help but wonder why we should be subject to such attacks...is it the environment of 'reason' and 'science' that places astrology in a difficult light? Many top astrologers claim to have high-ranking celebrities, politicians or royalty on their client list. If so, why are still trying to defend what we say 'works'? I'd just like us to reach a position where these level-1 attacks aren't possible because nobody needs to ask that first question - does astrology work?

dr. farr

Its not only astrology: homeopathy, natural healing of various types, alternative bio-energetic concepts and practices, paranormal research, and many other non-politically correct, out of the mainstream studies and practices, are subject to such attacks-actually have been, pretty much since the 1800's; regarding astrology, heck that has been attacked, off and on-in the Western world-since the end of pagan times and the rise of the Church; it had a respite in early Islam, but that changed too, by the 13th/14th century (there was a recent case where an astrologer was sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia for practicing astrological delineations; it took a public outcry by leading European and US astrologers to reverse that sentence-see threads on skyscript from just last year about this) With the replacement of the Church by the "religion of science" beginning in the 1700's, the attack shifted from astrology being "against the commands of God" to astrology being "against the dictates of scientific rationality", but it comes down to the same, old thing: learn to live with it, because no matter what you might actually prove, it will never be to the opposition's satisfaction or acceptance: "those convinced against their will, are of the same opinion still!"-an old proverb, sadly true of typical, unenlightened human nature...

Last edited:

Awakened_Pisces

There are many people unwilling or even worse: incapable of truly grasping this science. These group of people, whom we know full well will never be influenced in one way or another. If something comes out that "proves" Astrology's supposed fallacy, they'll take it and run with it and if nothing comes out? They'll try to create something anyway.

How can it be scientifically irrational that we're influenced by the stars around our own universe? We're influenced by trees and pollen into what we call allergies, right?

We have no racial or biological connection to them, but because they're along side us they affect us right? Some might make the argument that trees and plants etc are that much closer to us, hence can affect us.

But then we bring up the cell phone, and how that tiny phone is able to transmit vibrations hundreds of thousands of miles into space. If the tiny little cell phone can do that, I think planets can, if somewhat slightly influence our energies globally and even locally.

piercethevale

I agree Frank. But, I've also determined to my satisfaction and also to the satisfaction of a number of other astrologers and layfolk that April 2nd is the true birth date of Jesus/Yeshua of Nazareth.
[as a reminder...in that I'll be making some announcements....]
Peace on Earth...good will towards all Humankind.:joyful:

isismagdalenne

I know Ill have to do the studying myself, but Ive often wondered what happened? As Im reading the traditional texts, its apparent that astrology was not only a large part of the christian world, but even considered to be the language of god (meaning their god, the creator god, Jehovah, and so forth) I know that there have been alot of changes through history. I wont go into , here, my views on all the twists and turns through history that have been taken by Christianity, but I missed the part where astrology went from being considered the langauge of the divine, to my mother seeing my books and saying "some day your demons will turn against you!".... And as far as the april fools thing and the general public. I dont get why they would even care very much whats going on in the trends of thinking in astrology? Can barely get the general public to care enough about whats happening in the world around them at all, outside of what effects thier desire to eat, drink, buy and breed. (no offense....I care whats going on in the world..but I also eat drink buy and breed)

piercethevale

I know Ill have to do the studying myself, but Ive often wondered what happened? As Im reading the traditional texts, its apparent that astrology was not only a large part of the christian world, but even considered to be the language of god (meaning their god, the creator god, Jehovah, and so forth) I know that there have been alot of changes through history. I wont go into , here, my views on all the twists and turns through history that have been taken by Christianity, but I missed the part where astrology went from being considered the langauge of the divine, to my mother seeing my books and saying "some day your demons will turn against you!".... And as far as the april fools thing and the general public. I dont get why they would even care very much whats going on in the trends of thinking in astrology? Can barely get the general public to care enough about whats happening in the world around them at all, outside of what effects thier desire to eat, drink, buy and breed. (no offense....I care whats going on in the world..but I also eat drink buy and breed)

The Bible [Old Testament] has been described as the Jewish Big Book of astrology by a few friends of the that Faith.
I understand that, as New Years day was once April 1st, that the term April Fools was coined to ridicule those that wouldn't convert to the new calendar and concept.

Mark

I agree completely with the sentiment, Frank, but I feel like you're preaching to the choir on this one. Generally, the media picks up whatever stuff is convenient to ridicule groups of "minority belief." They do the same to astrologers, healers, members of small religions, polygamists, the Flat Earth Society, on and on. I can see what you're saying, but this stuff usually doesn't come from us. :tongue:

piercethevale

I hear Deborah Houlding has dyed her hair green, joined a Hippie cult and claims she can turn strawberry jam into gold...local authorities say there is nothing they can do!:innocent: