Meanings of 12th house

CapAquaPis

The last house of our own natal charts, the 12th is deep, sometimes dark and has the most stunning or shocking secrets of ourselves. Ruled by Pisces and the planet Neptune, it is symbolic of hospitals and prisons (a morbid house alike the 6th and 8th). And I read a lot about Moon in 12th or conjunct Ascendant.

DOMAIN OF THE 12TH HOUSE - 8 out of 10 traits associated with this house:
Life before birth (previous lifetimes, and/or prenatal life inside your mother's womb) - esp. Chiron (highly malefic) and Juno (so relevant to this aspect).

Rebirth, or life after death (ascending to a higher plane, dissolving of your energy into the world, or an afterlife) - or indicates our next life ahead.

Parts of you that live on in the collective identity long after you are gone, such as your icon status or becoming a historical figure.

The subconscious mind, and all contained within it (emotions, memories, instinctual drives).

That which is real to you, but not objectively real (dreams, imagination, symbolism, art, secular practices, occultism, psychic powers, the perceived effects of drugs and alcohol, and all things religious and spiritual).

The collective consciousness.

Prisons and asylums, where one is imprisoned within a network, both isolated and interconnected.

Saviours, martyrs, and spiritual icons.

And my own 12th house is divided between the signs Gemini (17' 33" to 29' 59") and Cancer (0' 0" to 17' 33" is my ASC). Does it signify a divided person? Or a male with a strong feminine nature? I say it accurately portrays myself a genderfluid biological male who is gynephile (solely attracted to females and women). In addition, a strong Cancerian Moon conjunct Sun in Aquarius in 8th.

JUPITERASC

Main meanings of 12th house :smile:

represents matters that are hidden, restrained, secret
incapable of action or of being fully understood.
Traditionally, it is a wholly unfortunate house

associated with sad events
sorrow
anguish of mind
tribulation
captivity
imprisonment
persecution
hard labour
all manner of affliction and self-undoing.

It represents places that are denied access to public view
particularly those concerned with seclusion or isolation
or where one is restricted from living a carefree life-style
such as institutions
or
prisons.

Many sources attribute monasteries to the 12th house
as places of isolation, but otherwise
monks and nuns belong to the 9th house
which represents religious concerns.

12th House has rulership over scandals generally
personal fears and skeletons in the family closet.
12th House significations include secret, unknown enemies
such men as maliciously undermine their neighbours
or inform secretly against them:
traitors, spies
weakness, infirmity
and
bondage.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h12.html

blacksun?

Complete nonsense I think. The 12th house is sub-and super-conscious, a place where anything and nothing goes - self-undoing as well as secret paradise, it is also the house of the pleasures of the bed in vedic astrology - in general a house where many powerful politicians have powerful planets, as it hides influences, allows stealth.

It is an immensely deep house, it is the house where things can get lost, but also where treasures long hidden, perhaps for lifetimes, can be dug up.

blacksun?

I think there's no doubt when we look at the progressions of planets in the 12th house - when a progressed planet in the 12th house crosses the Ascendant into the first house, that planet is "revealed" to the person. I can attest.
There is a prison element to the hidden-ness of the planets in the 12th but it can as well be a sanctuary. Both, more likely.

david starling

I think there's no doubt when we look at the progressions of planets in the 12th house - when a progressed planet in the 12th house crosses the Ascendant into the first house, that planet is "revealed" to the person. I can attest.
There is a prison element to the hidden-ness of the planets in the 12th but it can as well be a sanctuary. Both, more likely.

As I see it, the 12th relates directly to our current, shared reality paradigm as one of being literally trapped in the material realm.

In the 1st, this paradigm is accepted without question, and dealt with accordingly.

Last edited: