Sun in 8th house

Found this description scarily accurate for anyone looking for a good description of this placement.

http://www.8and12houses.com/writings/articles/sunintheeighthhouse

CapAquaPis

Sun in 8th is a negative, pessimist placement who will have not-so-good lives and I experienced this firsthand as a Sun in 8th Aquarius person (in conjunction with the Moon). Also the Sun/Moon conjunction square my ruler Uranus in 5th Scorpio. To have high-functioning autism, family issues (my parents divorce) and income loss are the result of a Sun in 8th.

RaRohini

Sun in 8th is a negative, pessimist placement who will have not-so-good lives and I experienced this firsthand as a Sun in 8th Aquarius person (in conjunction with the Moon). Also the Sun/Moon conjunction square my ruler Uranus in 5th Scorpio. To have high-functioning autism, family issues (my parents divorce) and income loss are the result of a Sun in 8th.

Hi !
It gets better with time !! You see, there is negativity and negative energy in this world... it exists. If a person has placements in Scorpio, it so happens that he or she senses their presence ACUTELY . So when something negative happens in life, people without such placements 'brush it off' and seem to 'pretend' that it doesnt exist.. Maybe because they cant 'take it'( get my point?) For example, only a person who has experienced poverty knows what it is. Others will get on with life pretending it doesnt exist ( because it hasn't affected them).But it exists ! And so when you point this out, you are labelled 'pessimistic'.This is why the world may view you as a negative person.
But this can be a blessing also , if you can 'Own' this knowledge, set boundaries so that the negativity doesnt engulf you , and use it to benefit others.
I have Rahu in Scorpio.

Hey yes, I agree!! My life has been a series of catastrophe after catastrophe. But unlike other people who may turn to more devious ways of coping in a cruel world, our scars become the space that lets the pure light of a good heart shine through. And that is how we can help others - and ultimately remain still good at heart.

The battles I have had to face, compared to other members of my family, is inconceivable at times. As the youngest member of my family, i should have been extra protected, instead I was bullied by those meant to protect me, while they projected their own problems on to me. Yet, look, my happiness does not rely on the take-down of such people. I have the capacity to forgive and not to become bitter. Not to become bitter but to continue to grow is beauty incarnate.

Sun in the 8th is a warrior who will fight for justice in this world. I'm a libra rising, yet my nose is broken, I have self-harm scars on my right arm and leg, my body has chronic stress conditions. Sometimes I feel older than what I am, and destined to fight an endless amount of battles, which has left me feeling disconnected. Yet here I am, and people know who I am when I look at them. There is no mistaking an 8th house sun's spirit!!

Last edited:

sibylline

I've read that article and I find it interesting. There are many facets to the Sun in the 8th.

I don't agree with Sun in 8th being a pessimist or negative person, even though yes, it can indicate crises in the life, especially early on in life. I don't think these make the person a pessimist -- I think the whole chart would have to be looked at for that -- but instead makes them tougher and able to help both themselves and others.

Whoever does not want to hear the reality of how cruel the world can be, can climb back under the rock they came from in their totalitarian, small-minded world. And you should not bother with these people until they have more self-awareness.

Acta non verba x

Julijana

I've read that article and I find it interesting. There are many facets to the Sun in the 8th.

I don't agree with Sun in 8th being a pessimist or negative person, even though yes, it can indicate crises in the life, especially early on in life. I don't think these make the person a pessimist -- I think the whole chart would have to be looked at for that -- but instead makes them tougher and able to help both themselves and others.
Yesterday I did a chart with this placement in capricorn. She had a hard childhood, parents didn't cared about her at all and her moon conjunct AC she was like a mother to herself. Parent's are alive and living together. She got much better after marriage and have nice home, big family, 4children and kinda rich in a way

sibylline

Whoever does not want to hear the reality of how cruel the world can be, can climb back under the rock they came from in their totalitarian, small-minded world. And you should not bother with these people until they have more self-awareness.

Acta non verba x

I don't know if this comment is directed toward mine or is just a general comment.

Oh it was more about RaRohini's comment which I should have pressed reply button to. And I was even agreeing with him - 'others will get on with life pretending it doesn't exist because it hasn't effected them.' It's horrible when you feel and know things, or are being hurt by people, but others ignore it because they don't want to see it.

I was saying if you are around those people you should let them climb under the rock they came from and get on with your life.

Osamenor

Staff member

Hey yes, I agree!! My life has been a series of catastrophe after catastrophe. But unlike other people who may turn to more devious ways of coping in a cruel world, our scars become the space that lets the pure light of a good heart shine through. And that is how we can help others - and ultimately remain still good at heart.

The battles I have had to face, compared to other members of my family, is inconceivable at times. As the youngest member of my family, i should have been extra protected, instead I was bullied by those meant to protect me, while they projected their own problems on to me. Yet, look, my happiness does not rely on the take-down of such people. I have the capacity to forgive and not to become bitter. Not to become bitter but to continue to grow is beauty incarnate.

Sun in the 8th is a warrior who will fight for justice in this world. I'm a libra rising, yet my nose is broken, I have self-harm scars on my right arm and leg, my body has chronic stress conditions. Sometimes I feel older than what I am, and destined to fight an endless amount of battles, which has left me feeling disconnected. Yet here I am, and people know who I am when I look at them. There is no mistaking an 8th house sun's spirit!!
Interesting to read these different takes. I'm also an eighth house sun, and with some changes in detail, your stories are also mine.

I'm not autistic, but I am ADD, and that wasn't diagnosed until I was almost 20. When I was five, an occupational therapist diagnosed me with what was then called sensory processing disorder, and I had some occupational therapy, but not as much as I really needed, and what I heard from the adults in my life was constant denial that anything was wrong with me at all.

I was bullied very heavily as a child. Being able to trust others, particularly groups of people, has been a challenge, to put it mildly.

I was raised in a family that was, on the one hand, stable and nurturing, and at the same time, the kind that never wanted to talk about problems (unless they were distant problems that happened to other people... not about our own).

So, yes, the early crisis story resonates for me, too, and in my case, everything was denied.

Is it the chart, or is it what we do with it? Experiencing early crises can make you a pessimist and toughen you and be the right kind of experience that gives you the ability to help others... and the need to help yourself. A person can be a negative pessimist, and tough, and helpful all at once. Those are not mutually exclusive.

AppLeo

My sister has her Sun in the 8th House and I don't think her life was hard. Sun in the 8th House is probably easy because it is the house of inheritance. Yes it's a darker house, but it creates empathic and strong people.

Osamenor

Staff member
My sister has her Sun in the 8th House and I don't think her life was hard. Sun in the 8th House is probably easy because it is the house of inheritance. Yes it's a darker house, but it creates empathic and strong people.

How do you know how your sister has experienced her life?

I don't think my siblings would say I had a hard life. Hard life can be subjective.

I wouldn't even say I've had a hard life across the board. Just hard in certain crucial ways.

I also see a lot of what that article says about eighth house sun people in myself: sex is all or nothing; I don't like sharing my secrets with others unless I trust them, sometimes even if I do trust them, and trust isn't that easy; and the "healing hands" part really rings a bell. I got reiki attunements four years ago, and everyone I've given reiki to said they felt it was especially powerful coming from me. That includes reiki shares (where everyone has reiki attunements and gives reiki to everyone else)... multiple practitioners present, and I seemed especially strong to people.

AppLeo

I don't think my siblings would say I had a hard life. Hard life can be subjective.

I wouldn't even say I've had a hard life across the board. Just hard in certain crucial ways.

I also see a lot of what that article says about eighth house sun people in myself: sex is all or nothing; I don't like sharing my secrets with others unless I trust them, sometimes even if I do trust them, and trust isn't that easy; and the "healing hands" part really rings a bell. I got reiki attunements four years ago, and everyone I've given reiki to said they felt it was especially powerful coming from me. That includes reiki shares (where everyone has reiki attunements and gives reiki to everyone else)... multiple practitioners present, and I seemed especially strong to people.

Well it's just annoying when people blame 8th house planets for having a difficult life. The fact that having a hard life is subjective means that 8th house planets have nothing to really do with having a hard life. People can have hard lives without having any 8th house planets at all.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Well it's just annoying when people say blame 8th house planets for having a difficult life. The fact that having a hard life is subjective means that 8th house planets have nothing to really do with having a hard life. People can have hard lives without having any 8th house planets at all.

No one ever said that only people with eighth house planets (or suns) have hard lives. Just that there's usually some significant difficulty, especially early on, experienced by eighth house sun people. That doesn't mean significant difficulties don't happen to people without eighth house placements. Neither does that mean chart placements are to blame for your problems, whatever they are. Astrology reflects what's going on with us, but things don't happen to us just because of rocks whirling around above us, let alone the rocks that were whirling around when we were born.

I always say, it's not the chart, it's what you do with it. Chart placements may set the stage for certain difficulties to occur. If you have an eighth house sun, you experience the kinds of difficulties that go along with that placement. If you have another kind of placement, your life's difficulties, and strengths, will fit with that.

Empathy and strength may be eighth house traits because they're developed through experiencing the eighth house difficulties. Or, maybe us eighth house folks experience those difficulties because we're empathetic, and therefore sensitive and prone to emotional trouble, and strong enough to make it through. It's a chicken or egg question.

AppLeo

No one ever said that only people with eighth house planets (or suns) have hard lives. Just that there's usually some significant difficulty, especially early on, experienced by eighth house sun people. That doesn't mean significant difficulties don't happen to people without eighth house placements. Neither does that mean chart placements are to blame for your problems, whatever they are. Astrology reflects what's going on with us, but things don't happen to us just because of rocks whirling around above us, let alone the rocks that were whirling around when we were born.

I always say, it's not the chart, it's what you do with it. Chart placements may set the stage for certain difficulties to occur. If you have an eighth house sun, you experience the kinds of difficulties that go along with that placement. If you have another kind of placement, your life's difficulties, and strengths, will fit with that.

Empathy and strength may be eighth house traits because they're developed through experiencing the eighth house difficulties. Or, maybe us eighth house folks experience those difficulties because we're empathetic, and therefore sensitive and prone to emotional trouble, and strong enough to make it through. It's a chicken or egg question.

Okay sorry for being wrong.

Sex is all or nothing to me as well. I could never be one of these people that marries someone for dishonest reasons like money or convenience, because I have to genuinely really like the person, or we are just friends. Good sex is enough to make me stay in a relationship that isn't good in other areas. Also, not sure if this is Aries or an 8th house sun, but my sex-drive is either extremely high or non-existent. And I like dominant partners. My last lover was a Mars in cancer, and he was submissive, which I found ultimately killed everything else.

I'm planning on doing reiki as people have felt a healing presence of me too, and a healing/calm aura. I also attract people in need of healing, although not sure if that's a Pisces trait.

I have a strong aura and I can use it to beguile people or intimidate them. It's great.

sibylline

Is it the chart, or is it what we do with it?

If I were interested in the "fate vs. free will" discussion I would have joined one of the threads on that subject floating about right now.

Experiencing early crises can make you a pessimist and toughen you and be the right kind of experience that gives you the ability to help others... and the need to help yourself. A person can be a negative pessimist, and tough, and helpful all at once. Those are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, they pretty much are. Unless you're thinking of pessimism as an attitude which shifts depending on the circumstances. Pessimism as a philosophy doesn't allow for improvement and believes everything inclines to the worst so there would be no hope, little desire to affect change, e.g. help others.

Okay sorry for being wrong.

Lol, you are not necessarily wrong. Only your sister would know her experiences.

Osamenor

Staff member
Sex is all or nothing to me as well. I could never be one of these people that marries someone for dishonest reasons like money or convenience, because I have to genuinely really like the person, or we are just friends. Good sex is enough to make me stay in a relationship that isn't good in other areas. Also, not sure if this is Aries or an 8th house sun, but my sex-drive is either extremely high or non-existent. And I like dominant partners. My last lover was a Mars in cancer, and he was submissive, which I found ultimately killed everything else.
I have all of that going on with me, except the desire for dominant partners and the vanishing sex drive. I'm still quite sexual even when not in a relationship, but I'm not comfortable with casual sex, it has to happen in a relationship. For me, that sex drive doesn't translate to a strong desire to have sex if I'm not with someone right for that, but it's not completely turned off, either.

Considering that many people with eighth house suns also have Venus in the eighth, I wonder if that eighth house relationship to sex is really a Venus thing. Is it different for people who have the sun in the eighth but Venus in the seventh, ninth, tenth, or sixth?

For the record, I'm a Leo eighth house sun (and Virgo eighth house Venus).

Maybe Mars placement is relevant here, too. I'm Mars in Gemini. If you have a different Mars placement, that might be relevant.
I'm planning on doing reiki as people have felt a healing presence of me too, and a healing/calm aura. I also attract people in need of healing, although not sure if that's a Pisces trait.
Maybe it's both.

I have a strong aura and I can use it to beguile people or intimidate them. It's great.
Do you have an aspect between Pluto and your AC? That seems to come up a lot with people who are very beguiling or intimidating.

In my experience, it would definetely be a 8th house sun because my Venus is in the 6th house. The 6th house Venus for me is one of the main areas of trouble in my chart. If only it was somewhere else, I could probably find the battles of 8th house sun a lot more manageable!! The two of them combined makes all my effort in career sectors that much harder, because I'm carrying insecurities from my childhood, and then my work life is a struggle too. The Venus 6th for me, has a dominating square, so maybe that's why.

When I said my sex drive is either completely there or non-existent, its because if I'm not feeling emotionally or spiritually intune with someone, then I feel no desire to be with them. Even if the trust has been broken in a previously loving relationship, then I simply cannot connect back with you.

I'm a Aries 8th house sun, and a Pisces 6th house Venus. My Mars is also in Gemini.

In regards to the intimidating aura, the 8th house sun is my only connection to Scorpio. It's not a Pluto-esque intimidation, but an Aries fire one. And it's nicely sweetened up by a libra rising, but I've been described as being both sweet and having an authoritarian personality. The darkness has got to come from the 8th house. I'm a Aries-Taurus cusp, and I know that can be authoritarian.

To compare, my sister is a Gemini 8th house sun, with a Gemini Mars in 8th house also, and she has the moon in Scorpio. Call me biased, but I prefer my more light-hearted personality, whereas she has ulterior motives and will trample over the rights of others. I like to think my moon sag gives me a philosophical approach to problems.

Last edited: