Declination Astrology and Calculator.

Draco

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/declination/calculate.php

I am utterly baffled by this, can someone explain?

Okay, so I understand that there are 360 degrees of longitude measured from East to West around the equator, and the equator projected onto the celestial sphere forms the celestial equator.

I understand that declination, is the arc of measurement in degrees North and South of the celestial equator.

I read this article by K. Boehrer, thinking it would help me to understand, but now my brain is totally fried!

http://www.mandala.be/declination/boehrer1.htm

She says that there are 90 degrees of declination going North of the celestial equator, and 90 degrees going South, so this would make 180 degrees all together wouldn't it?

However, elsewhere, she says that there are two sets of ninety degree's of declination going both North and South, making 360 degrees of declination all together, like there are 360 degrees of longitude. I don't understand this at all, but I want to. Why does she say one thing and then say another?

I really need some clarification on this!!!

Okay, on the declinations calculator on the home-page, my Sun has a declination of 02N58, so I take it that this means that the Sun at my nativity was 2 degrees and 58 minutes North of the celestial equator when I was born. The longitude equivalents that are given for this are 22Vir30 and 07Ari29. Well, 22Vir30 makes some sense because this is the longitude of my Sun anyway, but what does 07Ari29, have to do with it, what's the relationship?

I do not understand this, but I find it interesting, because my Mercury's declination has a longitude equivalent of 25Lib48, which happens to be right where my Pluto is, so I take it that my Mercury has a special, hidden relationship to Pluto, but what does this all mean, and how is my Mercury also connected to 04Pis11?

I can handle the idea of declination, but I don't understand why in one place she says that there are ninety degrees of declination going North and ninety going South, and then elsewhere says that there are two sets of ninety degrees going each way making 360 in all. Why two sets of ninety degrees and not just 180 degrees going North and 180 going South?

Do you see how confused I am???

Is any one else similarly baffled?

I have often wondered why it is that the North / South declination planets are in the sky do not seem to be considered in astrology, as surely these things have symbolic significance, and this seems to be something toward an answer, but I do not fully understand this, and I would very much appreciate some help!

I appear to have no out of bounds planets, but my most Northern planet is the Moon and the most Southern is Neptune, whatever that means.

Can someone help clarify this, before my brain fries? lol.

I have never had the most mathematical of minds, I have too much imagination at the expense of logic, but I can get to grips with these things, it just takes me quite some time for it to be incorporated into my mind.

pwadm

Staff member
Draco,

Consider the declination as the 3rd to your birth chart (= 2 dimensional circle). Now, you've got a sphere! with you in the center looking frightened around. :)
In theory, a planet's declination could go up to 90 degree North or South, just as we on Earth could walk to the 90 degree latitude point that is the Pole. Any direction taken from the North Pole is south. [but this is something else]

Kt Boehrer's theory has much to do with the concept of Sun's declination and therefore with antiscia. You know that by definition two points on the zodiac in antiscia relation to each other are the two places where the transiting Sun has the same declination.

The longitude equivalents are based on the Sun's longitude for a given declination. This way we may translate any declination into longitude based on the measurement scale provided by the Sun.

As a matter of fact [and take this as a huge secret I'm telling now] almost everything in astrology is based on Sun's declination. What objective measurement unit could we use when doing sky gazing? We know very well that fixed stars are fixed only with the name, they actually move slowly at a rate of one degree at every 72 years. We are constantly kindly reminded by the so-called skeptics that the constellations aren't anymore where they were 2000 years, such "invalidating" modern astrology. So we know very well that they cannot be taken seriously as a reference.
The only certainty we have is the Sun's height relative to the horizon from a certain point of observation on Earth (defined by latitude), that is the declination. This is how we actually measure the moment of an year where we are, that is Earth's position in its revolution movement around the Sun. And it is my understanding now that the so called zodiacal signs (by longitude) are also defined relative to the Sun's declination - therefore they're much better referred to as Sun signs.

This is why the Sun is the ultimate astrological influence. Any other planet's position is defined based on the Sun's.