Can angles and asteroids be part of a yod?

GeminiGrrl

In the course of reviewing a natal chart earlier today, I noticed that the person in question has an inner planet which forms an inconjunct or quincunx with both his Midheaven and the asteroid Chiron -- both of which form a sextile with each other. I know that when one planet in a person's natal chart forms an inconjunct or quincunx with two other planets which are in sextile with each other, this is called a yod (which is considered a very significant configuration in someone's chart, and I should know because I have two of them) -- but would it still considered a yod if you're talking about a similar configuration in which only one of the parts (in this case the apex) is a planet while the other two are angles or asteroids?

I'm aware that angles (particularly the Ascendant and the Midheaven) are considered a very important part of a person's natal chart, which suggests that a configuration like this might still be considered a yod if it involved an angle -- however, I realize that asteroids are usually considered a relatively minor factor in the natal chart. That being said, Chiron seems fairly important as asteroids go and especially in this case since Chiron is in the person's first house. So would this configuration within the person's natal chart -- an inner planet inconjunct with an angle and a first-house asteroid -- still qualify as a yod?

I can only speak for myself -- but at least in this specific instance, I would say that it does qualify as a yod because the apex of the configuration is an inner planet and one "leg" of the triangle involves a significant angle. Furthermore, even though the other "leg" of the triangle is an asteroid, that asteroid is in a very important house suggesting that it has more than the usual amount of influence over this individual than a "mere" asteroid usually would.

Last edited:

waybread

I wouldn't, but I suppose you know it if you feel it.

Trouble is, if you go too far down this road, especially with asteroids, you can make the chart say anything you want.

Sometimes an angle or asteroid will be hit by a major planet in transit or progression, so you can get a temporary yod that way.

Chiron may be important in a chart for another reason, and the MC will always be important, regardless.

Lin

Actually, no....a yod needs 3 planets to be an active YOD. The whole point of the Yod is that it is a very specific and karmic dynamic.

However: you are feeling something. But wrong attribution is very common in astrology when trying to read your own chart or that of someone who is a friend or relative.

So it's important to be really objective and to make sure what is happening is not the result of Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, or Saturn transits. These can be really complicated and it's important to study each transit in detail.
Lainie

StillOne

I agree with the above posters in that Yods involving an angle or an asteroid are not typically considered Yods. However, all Sextile aspects form a Yod at some point due to transits or progressions. So your "double inconjunct" to an angle or asteroid, may just be a bit more interesting or intense as compared to a transit/progression that forms Inconjuncts to a Sextile aspect with nothing at it's midpoint. So a transit or progression to the angle or asteroid will color the temporary Yod formed and keep coloring it that way in the future. A fixed star would have the same effect.