Which House Signifies Inspiration? The 9th?

Arian Maverick

Hello everyone :)

As you may know, I have an unfortunate habit of asking complex horary questions that are difficult or even impossible to answer utilizing traditional horary techniques.

About an hour ago, I asked myself when or if I would experience a moment of serendipity that would influence the course of my professional life. Parents and counselors alike have assured me that people often "fall into" a specific field of study or a particular career by life circumstances or a series of fortuitous events, so I've been awaiting some form of intuitive guidance--some inner knowing that I'm on the "right" path.

If I were to attempt to answer this question utilizing horary astrology, which house or planet would signify this kind of experience? I keep leaning towards the ninth house, perhaps due to its associations with philosophy and higher learning. Does this seem reasonable, or am I completely "off"?

As far as timing goes, I know certain signs/modalities are associated with different units of time, and that the number of degrees an aspect is from perfection is important. If the ninth house is correct, do I utilize the ruler of the ninth house, look at how many degrees it is from an aspect with my significator, and then apply the appropriate unit of time depending upon the modality of the signs the planets occupy? What do I do if my significator is the slower-moving planet? I can't move it forward to form a square aspect with a faster-moving planet, or can I?

I should probably just post the chart...

Here's my required interpretation:

I'm signified by Jupiter in Aquarius in the third house. I know the outer planets traditionally are not used in horary astrology, but it seems appropriate that my significator is conjunct Neptune because I desire an intuitive--perhaps irrational--"knowingness." So, if I attempt to interpret this chart the way I've described, the Sun would signify the clarity I'm seeking (the light of the Sun)? Even if the ninth house has nothing to do with inspiration, I know it's the house of higher education, so I'll stick with it, since my underlying question was about college majors--they represent different paths, and I want to "know" which path is "right" for me, or rather, know when I'll discover this path. So, can I say that Jupiter is about ten degrees away from a square aspect with the Sun and conclude that I'll "know" in some ten units of time--either days, weeks, months, or years? One of my horary astrology books has a chart which describes which signs are associated with certain units of time; I'll have to look this up.

So, how bad is my interpretation? Horary has always been my greatest astrological weakness; I can't seem to grasp it.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

freedomlover

Personally, I would associate "inspiration" with Uranus, and thus the 11th house. Uranus rules the higher mind, and thus divine revelation "inspiration from above". ( if I understand you correctly -you're looking for "divine revelation" of some sort?) Thus I also associate it with Christ Consciousness.

Jan Spiller, in her book, "New Moon Astrology", says this about Aquarius:

Aquarius rules:

Innovative ideas
Revelation
"The Big Picture"
Tools of divination
Objectivity

FL

Last edited:

Joseph Ledzion

Hopes, Dreams and Aspirations is the 11th house.

That's actually one of the first things I learned in astrology, many years ago. I find it odd that you'd be asking this question, because it is one of the easiest questions I've seen, and it's coming from a member with a title so advanced I've never heard it before.

By the way, the Sun is always at the center of the solar system, and you do not have to wait for answers to come to you. Your will is still more powerful than the planets.

If this were my horary, I'd be using Arabic Lots, especially if I consider gnarly questions like this.

Also, are you sure the horary is valid? Can it be judged according to the rules given by Lilly?

If the Ascendant is in none of its dignities, or the Lord of the Hour, or if the Ascendant is found in the first 3 or last 3 degrees of a sign, etc., I'd throw the question away.

And then look to the Primary Directions and Transits to the Natal Chart instead.

Good luck with this one.

Joseph

Arian Maverick

That's actually one of the first things I learned in astrology, many years ago. I find it odd that you'd be asking this question, because it is one of the easiest questions I've seen, and it's coming from a member with a title so advanced I've never heard it before.

Well, I'll be the first to admit that an "advanced" title does not signify any special astrological insight. My contributions to the forums have been more of the administrative sort, rather than the knowledge-contribution sort. I was a moderator for several years, and I helped create and organize many of the sub-board categories. When I stepped down from that position last year, Radu gave me the title of "honorary senior member." Yet when it comes to horary astrology, I'm a dunce :eek:

By the way, the Sun is always at the center of the solar system, and you do not have to wait for answers to come to you. Your will is still more powerful than the planets.

You're right, of course, and I admit I had this feeling while I was asking this question. I suppose I've been using astrology as a crutch. What you describe is also an important theme in my natal chart.

If this were my horary, I'd be using Arabic Lots, especially if I consider gnarly questions like this.

Which ones do you suggest?

Also, are you sure the horary is valid? Can it be judged according to the rules given by Lilly?

Again, I'll have to check my horary books. I also have a bad habit of jumping right into chart interpretation without checking the preliminary factors/considerations...

If the Ascendant is in none of its dignities, or the Lord of the Hour, or if the Ascendant is found in the first 3 or last 3 degrees of a sign, etc., I'd throw the question away.

To give myself a little credit, I did check that the Ascendant was not in the first or last three degrees of the sign.

I think Jupiter is in its own term, if I've read this chart correctly.

And then look to the Primary Directions and Transits to the Natal Chart instead.

So I'm looking for primary directions or transits which will occur in the future? What types should I be looking for--transits to the ruler of my natal eleventh house?

Personally, I would associate "inspiration" with Uranus, and thus the 11th house. Uranus rules the higher mind, and thus divine revelation "inspiration from above". ( if I understand you correctly -you're looking for "divine revelation" of some sort?) Thus I also associate it with Christ Consciousness.

Yep, that's what I'm looking for--although it doesn't have to be particularly dramatic. A quiet but certain knowing would be nice.

So in the case of this horary chart, I'm looking at the ruler of my hopes and dreams in its detriment. Its in the house of its joy--the fifth--but I don't know if it's close enough to the sixth house cusp for it to be considered "in" the sixth house, and thus, in a cadent house. Do I follow Venus' motion as it forms aspects to various planets before it forms an aspect to Jupiter?

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Joseph Ledzion

I would definitely use the Part of Fortune.

The Part of Fortune is well placed in the fortunate 11th house, signifying your wishes. Opposite the Part of Fortune is its ruler, Venus. Venus will apply to her Domicile Ruler, Mars, in 6*.

Because Venus the faster planet, we use Venus to measure the time. Venus is in a Cardinal sign, the fastest possible modality. In a Succedent house, this translates into 6 weeks.

Interestingly, the Part of Fortune is conjunct a Fortunate Fixed Star named "Mufrid." Mufrid signifies "Prosperity from work, planning, strong desires, a tendency to excess, a fondness for rural pursuits and occultism."

In turn, you may want to check your radical nativity for events in six weeks, and see if anything seems plausible.

Many long books have been written about primary directions and transits, and I will not allow myself to begin giving technique for that, because I will be here until next week (with my Mercury in Taurus)!

I am sorry if I came off arrogantly, thank you for your kindness in turn. Every situation is an opportunity to become more aware of how I come off to other people, and to harmonize with the apparent duality. I am a full moon nativity.

I saw the chart posted (which you added in later) after I posted my first entry, and yes, indeed, the Ascendant, ruled by Jupiter, is in its own terms, thereby making this Horary valid.

This is something overlooked by many people. There are many rules which tell us whether or nor a horary can even be judged, and using astro.com there is a lack of awareness of this, because the Essential Dignities are -- sadly -- not provided.

What's also interesting is that, in Freedomlover's suggestion involving planet Uranus as ruler of the 11th, one will note that Uranus doesn't even have a term in the entire chart, nor does Uranus rule an hour.

All the reason more to go back to studying the original, solid rulerships and doctrines of ancient astrology, turning away from modern "pseudo-astrology" and its culpable, obscure rules.

Ending on a more positive note, I love you.

Joseph

Last edited:

archergirl

I would gently disagree that charts without 'matching' ASC/Day/Hour rulers can't be read or are somehow invalid. Charts with everything working together harmoniously simply suggest a question where the heart of the matter is pure, so to speak...or without conflict. Charts most definitely operate even when they don't match up; but what it generally shows is a lack of power or Will behind the question. The best horaries seem to have desperate measures behind them, or a driving need to know. Most questions lack this, because we are usually filled with thoughts for which we'd like answers, but don't *really* need to know.

I sometimes feel like the gods of the sky are watching (metaphorically speaking, of course), so when the querent makes their plea and the chart matches up, it's similar to approaching the feet of the gods and the gods saying, "Ooh, yes! We'll help you with this one!"...and likewise when the chart doesn't match up, the gods are simply saying, "Meh, here's the answer. Work it out for yourself.":D

And, AM, you might need to resign yourself to the possibility that there might not be much serendipity, at least any time soon. I was 25 before I got the first inkling of which direction I wanted to head in (and that was after the most casual of statements by my ex-sister-in-law. It hit a note with me). Prior to that I worked in various fields and did a lot of travelling and basically just enjoyed life. You don't have to figure it all out before the age of 21. It would be nice if life always worked seamlessly to your benefit, but history tells us it doesn't! Trust the journey, not the destination. ;)

AG:)

starlink

Hello Beth, well Rex Bills book of "Rulerships" says that inspiration is ruled by Sagittarius, 9th house, Neptune and Uranus.

Rex does this for moderns as well, hence the Neptune and Uranus I guess.
But I would then take the 9th house ruler Sun and/or Jupiter, which is very appropriately situated in Pisces in the 3rd house of the mind and weirdly enough, exactly conjuncts the modern ruler Neptune. (just an observation: all planets in that 3rd house are on 26°!!, never seen something like this before.)

Now when would you experience a moment of serendipity?

So, can I say that Jupiter is about ten degrees away from a square aspect with the Sun?

No, the slower planet moves towards the other one. Jupiter does not move towards the Sun and will be in that spot for quite a while still, so Sun will (not square) but trine it in about 19°39'.

Sun is peregrine and cadent and unable to really act (also when you put hinm in the 7th house where a planet gets accidental dignity; Sun cannot take advantage of this placement, so it probably will be some time when you are in your 30th.

Furthermore Sun will be obstructed by Venus,making a sextile to that planet before reaching the trine with Jupiter. What that means, I really dont know right now. Venus ruling 11th and 6th, could maybe imply that your goals in life (11th) or work /health (6th) could pose an obstruction somehow which make the whole process go slower.

Maybe I am way off, but this is what I can see.

Cheers, Starlink

starlink

Hopes, Dreams and Aspirations is the 11th house.
Yes, also true, but look, that would be Venus in this chart and I dont think that AM's dreams and wishes are that weak (Venus in Aries)! Knowing her, she has very strong and high aspirations!! and hopes to accomplish them.

It could of course show her temporary insecurity about these aspirations maybe.

If Venus is the one, then the "AHA" moment she is waiting for could occur in about 5 somethings. Now Venus is angular but cannot make use of this placement due to her weakness, but in a Cardinal sign. Month would then be appropriate I would guess.

AM, please come back around that time and tell us what happened!:)

starlink

Sabian Symbol for the Asc.: A MOTHER LEADS HER SMALL CHILD STEP BY STEP UP THE STAIRS. implying step-by-step progress and negatively future vision and hope obscured because of several reasons.

Jupiter, 27° Aquarius: " AN ANCIENT POTTERY BOWL FILLED WITH FRESH VIOLETS" and one of the meanings: asking yourself:"what do I really need?"
Simplifying one's life on some level will lead to more charm and beauty.
Negatively: Neglecting the small things or being so accomodating that one's needs are neglected or trodden on.

22° Aries for Venus: THE GATE OPENS TO THE GARDEN OF ALL FULFILLED DESIRES., meaning: craving happiness, analysing your heart's desires. Rewards and treasures waiting.
Negatively: feeling or being shut out, denying yourself the right to just rewards. Wild goose chases. Cup being half empty or half full.

Sun, 7° Gemini: AN OLD-FASHIONED WELL WITH THE PUREST AND COLDEST OF WATERS : you are able to acces the "Well" through faith and self confidence and the ability to respond to others. You may however need a long rope and patience to reach into the depths of that well.
Negatively:Not trusting advice based on established ideas. Judging by appearances. Not recognizing inner values.

I thought of mentioning these. If you have a book about these Symbols, than you can read more indepth. Very interesting, always.:)

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Thank you all for the personal and astrological advice! :)

The Part of Fortune is well placed in the fortunate 11th house, signifying your wishes. Opposite the Part of Fortune is its ruler, Venus. Venus will apply to her Domicile Ruler, Mars, in 6*.

Because Venus the faster planet, we use Venus to measure the time. Venus is in a Cardinal sign, the fastest possible modality. In a Succedent house, this translates into 6 weeks.

Interestingly, the Part of Fortune is conjunct a Fortunate Fixed Star named "Mufrid." Mufrid signifies "Prosperity from work, planning, strong desires, a tendency to excess, a fondness for rural pursuits and occultism."

In turn, you may want to check your radical nativity for events in six weeks, and see if anything seems plausible.

I've checked my transits six weeks from now, and the only significant thing I see is retrograde Pluto transiting over my MC again. My exact MC degree is debatable, but Pluto should be within a degree or two of it. Indeed, I had been waiting with bated breath for this transit, anticipating some "major changes and developments in [my] career" (quote from Pluto Transits), but nothing really seemed to happen. I suppose I can't say nothing because I began my first "official" job during Pluto's first hit to my MC last summer, yet this didn't produce the dramatic inner change one associates with Pluto. Perhaps the third hit's the charm...

And, AM, you might need to resign yourself to the possibility that there might not be much serendipity, at least any time soon. I was 25 before I got the first inkling of which direction I wanted to head in (and that was after the most casual of statements by my ex-sister-in-law. It hit a note with me). Prior to that I worked in various fields and did a lot of travelling and basically just enjoyed life. You don't have to figure it all out before the age of 21. It would be nice if life always worked seamlessly to your benefit, but history tells us it doesn't! Trust the journey, not the destination.

I'm anticipating the journey as much as the destination because I truly regard this as a process. I'm just searching for that first roadsign, which will inform me I'm heading in the "right" direction--more specifically, that I've chosen a school and a major that's a good fit.

But I would then take the 9th house ruler Sun and/or Jupiter, which is very appropriately situated in Pisces in the 3rd house of the mind and weirdly enough, exactly conjuncts the modern ruler Neptune. (just an observation: all planets in that 3rd house are on 26°!!, never seen something like this before.)

Unfortunately, my significator is not strongly situated in Pisces; it's still in Aquarius. How would this change its interpretation?

I noticed its conjunction with Neptune, though...

No, the slower planet moves towards the other one. Jupiter does not move towards the Sun and will be in that spot for quite a while still, so Sun will (not square) but trine it in about 19°39'.

Sun is peregrine and cadent and unable to really act (also when you put hinm in the 7th house where a planet gets accidental dignity; Sun cannot take advantage of this placement, so it probably will be some time when you are in your 30th.

Furthermore Sun will be obstructed by Venus,making a sextile to that planet before reaching the trine with Jupiter. What that means, I really dont know right now. Venus ruling 11th and 6th, could maybe imply that your goals in life (11th) or work /health (6th) could pose an obstruction somehow which make the whole process go slower.

This time frame makes sense because I have three "heavy" planets in my tenth house, including a strong Saturn in Capricorn, which is known to take its time. Chiron opposes my MC; I believe it to be the root of my relative hesitancy to "leave the nest," so perhaps it will exert a similar delaying effect upon my career aspirations.

I can also easily see how my goals in life may interfere with career because I'm very idealistic in this area; I don't think I'd be satisfied unless I felt I was making a small change in people's lives or working in some way towards the betterment of society.

Yes, also true, but look, that would be Venus in this chart and I dont think that AM's dreams and wishes are that weak (Venus in Aries)! Knowing her, she has very strong and high aspirations!! and hopes to accomplish them.

It could of course show her temporary insecurity about these aspirations maybe.

This is true, but as I mentioned earlier, career has always been a big uncertainty for me--a major life lesson, I believe. I desire to succeed, certainly, but I've been disillusioned over the years because success seems to entail climbing over a figurative heap of bodies to reach the top or portraying oneself falsely. So my feelings regarding aspirations are ambivalent.

If Venus is the one, then the "AHA" moment she is waiting for could occur in about 5 somethings. Now Venus is angular but cannot make use of this placement due to her weakness, but in a Cardinal sign. Month would then be appropriate I would guess.

AM, please come back around that time and tell us what happened!

I will probably have to make a decision regarding a college and a major at that time because I'm transfering in the spring. Certainly, I'll return; I can never stay away from the forums for long! :p

Sabian Symbol for the Asc.: A MOTHER LEADS HER SMALL CHILD STEP BY STEP UP THE STAIRS. implying step-by-step progress and negatively future vision and hope obscured because of several reasons.

Jupiter, 27° Aquarius: " AN ANCIENT POTTERY BOWL FILLED WITH FRESH VIOLETS" and one of the meanings: asking yourself:"what do I really need?"
Simplifying one's life on some level will lead to more charm and beauty.
Negatively: Neglecting the small things or being so accomodating that one's needs are neglected or trodden on.

22° Aries for Venus: THE GATE OPENS TO THE GARDEN OF ALL FULFILLED DESIRES., meaning: craving happiness, analysing your heart's desires. Rewards and treasures waiting.
Negatively: feeling or being shut out, denying yourself the right to just rewards. Wild goose chases. Cup being half empty or half full.

Sun, 7° Gemini: AN OLD-FASHIONED WELL WITH THE PUREST AND COLDEST OF WATERS : you are able to acces the "Well" through faith and self confidence and the ability to respond to others. You may however need a long rope and patience to reach into the depths of that well.
Negatively:Not trusting advice based on established ideas. Judging by appearances. Not recognizing inner values.

I thought of mentioning these. If you have a book about these Symbols, than you can read more indepth. Very interesting, always

Yes, indeed! I particularly relate with the symbol for the Ascendant; I feel this will be a step-by-step process which will include a few stumbles as I learn to "walk."

I have the book 360 Degrees of Wisdom by Lynda Hill; I'll have to read the pages about these symbols.

Thanks again! :)

EDIT: I had to include a picture of an advertisement I came across while reading an unrelated article on About.com because it was so synchronistic. If only inspiration was that easy to obtain! :38:

Arian Maverick

Last edited: