12th part and it's interpretations

aldebaran

I'm studying about 12th parts and I found it very interesting.

What would be possible interpretations for the 12th part of a planet or a point? I couldn't find more than generic explanations of having a "relation" with the planet or point.

How the 12th parts relate with each other? And with the "real" planets and points?

I'm asking in the modern section in order to be open for both modern and traditional interpretations of it.

conspiracy theorist

The only contemporary astrologer I've seen speak about it (that I'm aware of) is the one over at sevenstarastrology and the way he used it was to act as if the planet was in that area of the chart and read it as an autonomous placements including other planets that makes aspects to it. This would give more information on how that planet operates in the chart.

For example, my Jupiter is conjunct the ascendant in Sagittarius. The 12th part for Jupiter is located in Leo in the 9th house. Jupiter in the 9th will therefore also be applicable to me -- which for this particular data point happens to have a lot of overlap.

JUPITERASC

I'm studying about 12th parts and I found it very interesting.

What would be possible interpretations
for the 12th part of a planet or a point?
I couldn't find more than generic explanations of having a "relation" with the planet or point.

How the 12th parts relate with each other?
And with the "real" planets and points?

I'm asking in the modern section
in order to be open for both modern and traditional interpretations of it.
Modern astrology board is for Modernist only interpretation :smile:
it was specially requested to be for Modernist only

so for the Traditional perspective post thread on Traditional board

alternatively
The General astrology READ MY CHART forum
is the area intended for BOTH traditional and modernist

Frisiangal

I've not heard of the 12 parts. Can you explain? 12 houses, 12 signs, 12 dwads per sign, yes.

I thought, and it seems to be confirmed by C.T's post, that it's another name for the 2½ degrees per sign, 12x2½ = 30, commonly referred to as the duads/dwads.

There is discussion in astro. circles whether the first duad/dwad of a sign should be the sign itself and further through the zodiac, or the first duad/dwad is always Aries.

In my chart, Mercury-Venus in natal 9th are in the 3rd duad of Taurus = Cancer. Holland falls under Cancer as a sign and I married a Nederlander.
Natal Sun in 9th falls under 9th duad Capricorn. Life time settlement abroad?

Using Aries as 1st duad puts Mercury-Venus in Gemini duad and Sun in Sagittarius. I can see the relevance of that as well.

A case of 'you pays your money and takes your choice'? :smile:

It's a personal belief that duads can also be and are used in modern astrology.

aldebaran

I'm paying each time more attention to it, and in all charts I have analyzed, I can usually think they fit quite well.

I've seen some 'weird' coincidences often, between synastrys and transits included.

But although I can see that they "fit", I'm still confused of how exactly they work and their relations between each other and between Planets.

Software Morinus calculate them automatically, but don't give aspects between them, and planets.

waybread

OK, dwads. Got it. There are several systems for calculating them.

If I want to spend a lot of time with a chart I might look at them, as they tend to highlight certain features of the chart. I've done the one where the first dwad is the same sign as the sign itself.

For some interesting research on dwads, see articles at www.aliceportman.com

dr. farr

Yes the dodeks (as I have called them in the several oldtime threads I posted here on AW) Very useful tool for modifying the totality of influences upon a given planet (or other point) in a chart!

Frisiangal

Yes the dodeks (as I have called them in the several oldtime threads I posted here on AW) Very useful tool for modifying the totality of influences upon a given planet (or other point) in a chart!

From dodici.....12 in Italian, and duodecim in Latin.
(With thanks to Google translator. :smile:)

Frisiangal

I'm paying each time more attention to it, and in all charts I have analyzed, I can usually think they fit quite well.

I've seen some 'weird' coincidences often, between synastrys and transits included.

But although I can see that they "fit", I'm still confused of how exactly they work and their relations between each other and between Planets.

Software Morinus calculate them automatically, but don't give aspects between them, and planets.

I guess to complete the trinity to its full advantage, you should also include the decanates of each sign (i.e. same element) in which a planet is placed.
This would give you a duad sign within a decanate sign of a zodiac sign.
That really gets down to the nitty-gritty of interpretation.:biggrin::biggrin:

dr. farr

Right, it does!

Now, in general natal chart (and also mundane chart) delineation I just use the signs (planets and other points in) and the decans as a modifying factor (I use the Manilius decans) I only infrequently use the decans (and even less frequently the dodeks) in my approach to horary (although the original Ankara method cast the entire horary chart in dodeks! I could never follow this radical approach-but historically the fact is that the oldest extant horoscopes from Babylon-from the 400's BCE-were using dodeks in delineation!)

However, when I want to bring into play the nuances for a complete (in depth) delineation, I use all 3:signs+decans+dodeks. How do I use them?
-I give 70% influence to the indications of the sign,
-then 20% influence to the indications of the decan,
-then 10% influence to the indications of the dodek.
From this blend I then determine my delineation of the net influences upon the planet (or upon any other astrological element in the chart I am studying)

aldebaran

Thank you people.

What about the terms, you prefer decans to the terms?

Dr.Farr, I researched old topics and if I understood right, in Natal you give way more importance to Dodeks than only 10% of the delineation, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

I only infrequently use the decans (and even less frequently the dodeks) in my approach to horary (although the original Ankara method cast the entire horary chart in dodeks! I could never follow this radical approach-but historically the fact is that the oldest extant horoscopes from Babylon-from the 400's BCE-were using dodeks in delineation!)

However, when I want to bring into play the nuances for a complete (in depth) delineation, I use all 3:signs+decans+dodeks. How do I use them?
-I give 70% influence to the indications of the sign,
-then 20% influence to the indications of the decan,
-then 10% influence to the indications of the dodek.
From this blend I then determine my delineation of the net influences upon the planet (or upon any other astrological element in the chart I am studying)

I thought the significance of duads (and decanates?) in horary a very interesting factor to consider, as I am trying to unravel an horary chart; i.e. gaining more information into a recent major burglary in my son's home (for which Waybread has provided assistance. :smile:). Maybe they can be a further pointer towards a specific direction.

I did wonder about the order of importance of duad/decanate significance.
Whether a small connection of planet in duad should be implied within the wider implication of the decan, to which the sign becomes the major reference through house;....... OR vice versa.:unsure:

An interesting challenge to work upon.:smile:

dr. farr

Thank you people.

What about the terms, you prefer decans to the terms?

Dr.Farr, I researched old topics and if I understood right, in Natal you give way more importance to Dodeks than only 10% of the delineation, right?

Thanks.

Depending upon what I'm looking for in a particular chart: in the chart of time twins, yes-the dodeks are given much importance in making a disinction between likely astrological influences upon one twin vs the other. My listing of %, above, is an approximation of what I do in typical charts where I am looking to delineate the likely general trends and tendencies of the chart.