Ever looked into your ancestry?

Blaze

Account Closed
I remember being obsessed with finding out my genetic history. Only to be disappointed that it all came from one place, Spain. At best it let me know that I share blood with the olden royals, which means nothing now. And it helped me understand some conditions I may get with age, which is important. At worst, my genes hadn't moved around much....

So, have you?

conspiracy theorist

I really want to. The little I know is that my great great maternal grandfather was from mainland China (I don't even know where in China) and my great great great paternal grandparents were a Anglosaxon missionary couple from England (perhaps that is why my Jupiter is so exquisite). And I have a lot of black relatives scattered across the US and UK. Perhaps when I have the means I'll jump right on that.

JUPITERASC

I remember being obsessed with finding out my genetic history.
Only to be disappointed that it all came from one place, Spain.
At best it let me know that I share blood with the olden royals,
which means nothing now.
And it helped me understand some conditions I may get with age,
which is important.
At worst, my genes hadn't moved around much....

So, have you?

I really want to. The little I know is that my great great maternal grandfather was from mainland China
(I don't even know where in China) and my great great great paternal grandparents were a Anglosaxon missionary couple from England
(perhaps that is why my Jupiter is so exquisite).
And I have a lot of black relatives scattered across the US and UK.
Perhaps when I have the means I'll jump right on that.

A name is not the whole story :smile:
worth checking out FTDNA
by joining their database one may discover previously unsuspected relatives

Blaze

Account Closed
I really want to. The little I know is that my great great maternal grandfather was from mainland China (I don't even know where in China) and my great great great paternal grandparents were a Anglosaxon missionary couple from England (perhaps that is why my Jupiter is so exquisite). And I have a lot of black relatives scattered across the US and UK. Perhaps when I have the means I'll jump right on that.

Interesting. I was honestly hoping some of my genes spread out all over the world, but alas, it seems my ancestors didn't like to travel much. The only two that did was my great grandparents who traveled to the islands, i.e Puerto rico, but all of their kids either went back to Spain or into America, hence me.

I forgot which company I took the test with, but they were pretty neat. Got the results sitting in one of the many boxes in my closet. That one JA linked looks legit though. Give it a shot and tell us about Great grandpa Mao or something. Heh.

AlexZim

Had my DNA done through DNA Tribes in 2009, then 23andMe this year. Told me what I already knew, plus so much more. Granted, the info they swing you leads you toward having to do a shite-tonna further research (into haplogroups and whatnot), but it's really worth it. Fascinating stuff. Might cause a stirrup with some sensitive family members, but being a Uranian, I get off on that ;)

JUPITERASC

Interesting. I was honestly hoping some of my genes spread out all over the world,
but alas, it seems my ancestors didn't like to travel much.
The only two that did was my great grandparents who traveled to the islands,
i.e Puerto rico, but all of their kids either went back to Spain or into America, hence me.

I forgot which company I took the test with, but they were pretty neat.
Got the results sitting in one of the many boxes in my closet.
That one JA linked looks legit though.
Give it a shot and tell us about Great grandpa Mao or something. Heh
There are numerous DNA data bases worldwide
many allow members of those databases
to email anyone who links to them as a relative via DNA :smile:

conspiracy theorist

Interesting. I was honestly hoping some of my genes spread out all over the world, but alas, it seems my ancestors didn't like to travel much. The only two that did was my great grandparents who traveled to the islands, i.e Puerto rico, but all of their kids either went back to Spain or into America, hence me.

I forgot which company I took the test with, but they were pretty neat. Got the results sitting in one of the many boxes in my closet. That one JA linked looks legit though. Give it a shot and tell us about Great grandpa Mao or something. Heh.

Yeah definitely. The one inference I can make is that my family loves to travel to distant lands. Both of my parents are big travelers too. This Sagittarius feels comfy in such a fold.

Blaze

Account Closed
There are numerous DNA data bases worldwide
many allow members of those databases
to email anyone who links to them as a relative via DNA :smile:

That would be really cool, but I don't even keep in contact with relatives who live a mile away from me, lol.

Yeah definitely. The one inference I can make is that my family loves to travel to distant lands. Both of my parents are big travelers too. This Sagittarius feels comfy in such a fold.

Huh. You think our charts would show that kind of stuff? Like our "Astrological DNA history?". I've a lot of Domicile planets in my family, especially Saturn, Venus and Mars.

JUPITERASC

Family Finder detects your near and distant cousins
by comparing your AUTOSOMAL DNA :smile:
with that of other Family Tree DNA customers.

If two people share identical segments of DNA, they may share a recent ancestor.
When the Family Finder program finds matching segments
it determines if the segments are Identical by Descent (IBD).
If they are determined to be IBD
the Family Finder program calculates the relationship
based on the shared segments’ number and size.

If your relationship is within recent generations
(2nd cousins or more recent relatives)
Family Finder is almost sure to detect your relationship.
Testing will also detect many 3rd cousins and about half of your 4th cousins.

It will detect a small percentage of 5th and more distant cousins.
However, the number of such cousins in the population increases exponentially with each generation.
This means that if 1,000 of your distant cousins test
you can expect to see a few of them in the Speculative Relative category.

For genealogists, it is best to use Family Finder to prove recent relationships (one to five generations).

However, after testing, you may discover distant cousins.

Blaze

Account Closed
JA, I'm now imagining some guy in south finding out he married his distant cousin only to say "Distant? Uncle Larry says we was first cousins!"

Strange, I know.

*Ahem*

So, astrological DNA, anyone?

conspiracy theorist

Huh. You think our charts would show that kind of stuff? Like our "Astrological DNA history?". I've a lot of Domicile planets in my family, especially Saturn, Venus and Mars.

At this point, I've only really known about looking at things like the 4th house if you are using the static natal chart. There is a good chance that there are some arabic parts out there that speaks to your ancestors but I haven't personally come across them.

Differently you could probably go through the different natal charts of your relatives and see the similar themes that might show up throughout. Like I've mentioned before around here all of my brothers and I have stelliums and I've only seen this from one other person in my family and that's my great maternal grandmother. My Mother is where I get the Sagittarius from, and I've inherited her Venus/Mars while I got the Sun/Pluto conjunction from my grandfather. Other than that, not much patterns are emerging.

JUPITERASC

That would be really cool,
but I don't even keep in contact with relatives who live a mile away from me, lol.

Huh. You think our charts would show that kind of stuff?
Like our "Astrological DNA history?".
I've a lot of Domicile planets in my family, especially Saturn, Venus and Mars.
More than three hundred thousand people were born worldwide same day
and have same domicile planets that you have
however that does not mean all those people are related
:smile:

it has been a big interest of mine as well and I thought it was because I had moon in the 4th, but then found out my mom had given me the wrong time of birth and my moon was actually in the 3rd... out of curiosity have you got moon in the 4th? I have recently found out about my grandmother's ancestors going back to the old world... French, among the first settlers of Quebec City. But in fairness, my dad's side holds some juicy secrets I've yet to get my hands onto well, trickier with smaller countries I'm finding... he's from the South of Portugal and I know for sure that my great-grandma was a Sephardic Jew, who married into catholicism... I'd imagine going back further there would be some weaving in of Moorish blood as well. Might be the case for yourself as well as the Iberian peninsula has a history that stretches back before it was Spain with various influences combining together there and of course, Spain played a pivitol role as result in the end of the dark ages through the establishment of the university at Toledo with the books that the Arabs had got and then subsequently added to from Alexandria...

Blaze

Account Closed
At this point, I've only really known about looking at things like the 4th house if you are using the static natal chart. There is a good chance that there are some arabic parts out there that speaks to your ancestors but I haven't personally come across them.

Differently you could probably go through the different natal charts of your relatives and see the similar themes that might show up throughout. Like I've mentioned before around here all of my brothers and I have stelliums and I've only seen this from one other person in my family and that's my great maternal grandmother. My Mother is where I get the Sagittarius from, and I've inherited her Venus/Mars while I got the Sun/Pluto conjunction from my grandfather. Other than that, not much patterns are emerging.

Hmm. 4th house would make a lot of sense. Being the roots an all. But using that, the only thing that I have in common with other family members would be my Father, with whom I share lots of things, like Moon-Pluto square, his Moon in Scorpio squares Pluto in Leo. Mars in 12th though mine is much stronger than his Libra Mars. Mom has a domicile Saturn in Aqua square her Domicile Venus in Taurus with Venus dominating the square due to angularity in 10th. My Grandmother has Saturn in Cap conjunct ascendant. ...eh, not much to go on, but interesting. Sort of.

But all that astro stuff aside, anyone else give a hoot about their genetic history?

RaRohini

Blaze,
That is interesting because Spain is associated with the star Aquarius Purvabhadra and Cancer Punarvasu.(as per my nakshatr study). Puerto Rico is also associated with Aqua P.Bhadra.so is Costa Rica,Philedelphia, New York and Ohio.

demetraceres

Living in Europe, I would say there is less obsession with finding genetic roots. Nevertheless I was interested in different aspects of my ancestry and their destiny. I have traced certain ancestry surnames to the 15th century. What was really precious to me was having learned much about the history of the region I come from and much more about the destiny of some of my ancestors and relatives.

demetraceres

And after all, this is a great work done for your descendants (or potential descendants).

But it came to my mind that there are cases where things could become more complicated or ambigious. Finding lots of criminality or something similar in the ancestry, I guess,...

Blaze

Account Closed
Blaze,
That is interesting because Spain is associated with the star Aquarius Purvabhadra and Cancer Punarvasu.(as per my nakshatr study). Puerto Rico is also associated with Aqua P.Bhadra.so is Costa Rica,Philedelphia, New York and Ohio.

I'd have to look more deeply into the Aquarius Purvabhadra. But what is interesting about it is my current home is in New York where I was born and raised. A connection perhaps?