Human existence: the gender of God

AppLeo

It's easy to be a girl though. You just sit around and look pretty.

waybread

Historically religions gave their gods male and/or female characteristics. In a lot of ancient creation stories, sex and procreation were the only ways they understood human beings to come about.

Ancient Egyptian religion and Judaism added some additional possibilities, including creation through the spoken word and making people through the deity's hands, just as a potter shaped clay. These myths emphasized the male creative principle.

But regardless, I don't believe in this kind of mythology. You can't take it literally, can you? A God or Divine Consciousness capable of creating the entire universe with all of its distant galaxies and quantum physics couldn't possibly be limited by our culture's restricted notions of male and female sexuality. To me, God or the Creative Principle is more like the matrix in which life can occur. I think many religions have this concept: the Hindu prana, the Chinese qi (chi,) pneuma in ancient Greece, mana in Polynesian cultures.

In the Bible, to say that humans are created in God's image has usually been interpreted as God having the form of a man. But if we turn this verse on its head, perhaps humans are not what we understand as our physical bodies, but are comprised of energy and invisible particles. Physics would supply some support for this belief.

waybread

Well you obviously have no idea what it means to be a man.

Hard to say, App Leo. I have been married to a man for over 40 years (2, one for 20 years, one for 21 years.) Not counting a BF of 3 years before that. I am the mother of a son and grandmother to a grandson, sister to a brother, daughter of a father. I worked for over 30 years in a very male oriented field, where sometimes I was the only woman in my department. Normally I got along well with my male colleagues. I have male friends.

At your age, do you know fully and completely what it means to be a man? Or better yet, an adult self-supporting human being?

JUPITERASC

Hard to say, App Leo. I have been married to a man for over 40 years (2, one for 20 years, one for 21 years.) Not counting a BF of 3 years before that. I am the mother of a son and grandmother to a grandson, sister to a brother, daughter of a father. I worked for over 30 years in a very male oriented field, where sometimes I was the only woman in my department. Normally I got along well with my male colleagues. I have male friends.

At your age,
do you know fully and completely
what it means to be a man?
Or better yet,
an adult
self-supporting human being?

Of course I do.
Siriusly :smile:
I don't really love doing anything.
Work is work in my eyes.
Doing what I love is eating
watching movies
and sleeping.
Well
my mom is paying for it
because
I'm a spoiled brat.

But if I had to pay for college myself
I don't think I would've have gone.
I guess it can't hurt to go
because it's being paid for
I just feel like I'm wasting my time
and my mom's money.

I offered to pay her back
once I get a good job
but she said I didn't need to.
And she's been wasting money on me since I was born.
I don't even know why she had kids.
I don't even know why I'm here.

Where's my paycheck.
I'm only hear to make a profit.
I hate my courses because they're boring.
I'm only eager to do good in them for money.

I'm in school
because
I want money
That's all I care about.
I chose a computer science
to get an internship
to get a job
to make money.

If I won the lottery I wouldn't have gone to school.
I would've skipped ditched k-12
and completely avoided college.

Well what are you supposed to do
when everyone expects you to?
My parents don't want me to be a loser
and they'd disown me.

And
I don't want to starve to death
so college it is.

InfoOverload2

Jupiter - probably not best to put someone's vulnerability on display? People can have opinions that are outside of themselves. (Criticism they give to others is equally given to themselves)
Also there is a growing movement of men coming forward talking about the pressures of being a man. So whereas a woman with those issues may not feel as down, a man could be taking it a lot harder

Some of this movement is being represented by red pillers or disgusting scum men with disgusting views. But a few credible doctors and even feminists have turned an eye to the issues and pressures men face

AppLeo

In astrology, the four elements are divided into two halves: the masculine (fire and air) and the feminine (earth and water). I also believe in the concept of two personalities both men and women can be: alphas and betas.

Aren't there omega males, too?

JUPITERASC

Jupiter - probably not best to put someone's vulnerability on display?
People can have opinions that are outside of themselves.
(Criticism they give to others is equally given to themselves)
Any comment made by any member may be quoted
and
if a member does not wish to be quoted
then the remedy is simple

i.e.
the member only makes comments the member is ok with being quoted :smile:

Also there is a growing movement of men coming forward talking about the pressures of being a man. So whereas a woman with those issues may not feel as down, a man could be taking it a lot harder

Some of this movement is being represented by red pillers or disgusting scum men with disgusting views. But a few credible doctors and even feminists have turned an eye to the issues and pressures men face
thanks for that information

JUPITERASC

198ade7eac847934a04bbac6ae0446cc.jpg

InfoOverload2

Any comment made by any member may be quoted
and
if a member does not wish to be quoted
then the remedy is simple

i.e.
the member only makes comments the member is ok with being quoted :smile:

thanks for that information

I didn't say it was illegal (for the forum) :sideways: I've studied law (well..paralegal studies) and I've always felt that the laws don't do enough to protect hurt feelings.
- Signed, Mars in Cancer

CapAquaPis

Sometimes, I wonder if a sun, moon or rising placement in an Air sign (male or "beta") and a sun, moon or rising placement in a Water sign (female or "alpha") - mine is Aquarius sun/moon with Cancer ascendant. A gentle male spirit mixed in with a strong female soul...and my dominant sign is Virgo (Mars, Jupiter and Saturn). That's like what an Omega personality is, compared to Alpha or Beta.

CapAquaPis

The zodiac can also be divided in half another way: signs of the body/physical strength and of the mind/soul spirituality. The fire and earth signs are first, and the air and water signs the latter. Aquarius is ranked the highest in intelligent, as well Capricorn for the first half (both ruled by Saturn and/or Uranus), and Libra the least in mind with Virgo the least in body (opposite sides of Venus in Libra and Mercury in Venus). And Taurus is ranked not so "smart" although my Taurus mother with an Aquarius/Pisces moon exhibited a high degree of smart, while Gemini is ranked not so "strong", so much for a sign of athletic abilities.