Will I be accepted at the literature doctorate program?

Venusinlibra

This is a long cherished dream. I'm over 50 and it's now or never. Despite personal problems - husband's illness, low income - I finally regathered the strength to apply, but this horary chart does not look good at all ... Moon (me) represents the querent, and is in square with basically all others Planets, including the stellium in the 9th (high studies) and the ruler of the 9th house (Jupiter, since Neptune is not taken into account for horary readings as far as I know). Please, please, can anyone read anything more positive?

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_347_doutorado.61675.48807.gif
    astro_w2gw_347_doutorado.61675.48807.gif
    49.5 KB · Views: 18

waybread

The moon (you) is VOC and moving away from Jupiter (doctoral program.)

While this doctoral program does not look positive, I think something "more positive" would be for you to consider what other programs are out there that would nourish your love of literature and desire for graduate study. If you can't move to another place, see what is available as an on-line M. A. program.

You know the saying, "When God closes a door, He opens a window."

Venusinlibra

Thank you Waybread, it makes a lot of sense. My subject of research is not the most suitable for this especific program, so it is not likely any professor would agree to be my counselor. There is another program with a more friendy agenda to my subject, but it would demand moving to another state...

Arena

OMG, you are in Porto Alegre!? I've read and heard some very interesting things about your ways of democracy, citizens participatory democracy! It is of such high interest to me.

Ok, so you can get another view, my view :)
I casted this chart in the sidereal zodiac and I find the chart more appropriate since it describes you as Mercury. But unfortunately it is about to oppose Jupiter - something tells me it is a no ... but then it moves on to become a yes later after some changes have happened.

The chart shows me that you could actually consider the possibility to move for this. The chart tells me that some major changes are about to happen in your life, since you (Mercury) are about to square Pluto and conjunct Uranus. To me this means you might relocate or quit your job or do whatever is necessary to get to where you want because you really really want that change. You might even think of a new subject of study or a new way to do it.

However all significators are in their signs of detriment, but I consider this also as mutual reception. You are in Pisces, Jupiter is in Virgo, your sign... and Moon just entered Capricorn.

If we take a look at the matter (Moon) we see it in the first degree of Capricorn ... but we see that as it will have travelled all the way through that sign and to 25th degree it will trine Jupiter and sextile Mercury at the same time. But before that it will sextile Sun and Venus and square Mars... possibly meaning that you will negotiate something with your family and children and then you will possibly quit your job. I believe at that time you will find some way to get around this so you can get what you want. So in 25 time units, which could be 25 days or weeks ... so either end of April or beginning of July. So please, do let us know how this turns out.

Venusinlibra

Hi Arena! Yes, I live in Porto Alegre. We used to have democracy here, with president Lula´s Workers Party and all. Now, after the coup of state by "president" Temer, not so much... Concerning the horary chart: yeah, maybe I´ll have to move in order to get the PhD I want... Changing subject is not an option, since it means a lot for me personaly, but it is a brand new topic and not so many professor will be willing to work it... Let´s see what happens, I will definitely post here the outcome... Thank you!

Last edited:

waybread

Speaking as a retired academic from the USA and Canada, and unsure of how things work in your country.....

I think it is really important that your adviser be the expert in your chosen, very specific area of research specialization.

Back when I was working, we sometimes admitted older students into our graduate programs. Some of them did extremely well; generally because they were a good match with a professor who was willing to supervise them; and because they had specific career goals that required the graduate degree for hiring or advancement.

The ones who either didn't get admitted or who didn't do so well were simply trying to prove something to themselves personally. It's as though, if they got a Ph. D. they could prove that they were really intelligent people, after all. Yet they were not really "teachable" students. They had their own very specific ideas that didn't match the nature of university life today. One in particular comes to mind who failed his comprehensive exams. He either couldn't or wouldn't do the recommended reading and integrate it into his thoughts about his topic.

Most doctoral programs will have on-campus residency requirements for graduation. But in your country you could probably find some on-line MA programs. If not, you will find many based in English-speaking countries. Basically you interact with faculty on-line, like a correspondence program. These programs are specifically designed for students who are unable to move to a bricks-and-mortar university campus.

Do let us know what happens!