Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Welcome! > Recommendations

Recommendations Looking for advice and suggestions on books, websites, programs, professionals, organizations, or anything else related to astrology? Ask and share your opinions here.

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:32 AM

Smile Re: Thoughts on Dane Rudhyar?

If a correct Chart depends on the exact moment of birth, then there are very few correct Charts.

Unread 10-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Banned

Re: Thoughts on Dane Rudhyar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
If a correct Chart depends on the exact moment of birth, then there are very few correct Charts.
It depends on your practice. Some techniques are applicable in a given time span and do not require extreme precision. But obviously yes, there is no 100% certain chart.
The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 02:34 AM

I keep getting the impression -- I don't know why -- that you are a very young person who has not yet had the time to accumulate life experience.

A person who faces chronic degenerative disease, who has had a leg blown off in some war, who is addicted to opioids has no choice but to face the situation. No choice is compulsion. It isn't that he "is inclined" (impelled) to act a certain way; he "must", which is compulsion.
Unread 10-02-2018, 02:53 AM

As long as "my problem" remains in the realm of the unconscious it is beyond remedy and therefore compulsive in nature.

There are many things in life, both external and internal, that we cannot change. We are therefore compelled to deal with these things in one fashion or another according to the dictates of our individual being.

Last edited by greybeard; 10-02-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Unread 10-02-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
It depends on your practice. Some techniques are applicable in a given time span and do not require extreme precision. But obviously yes, there is no 100% certain chart.
I saw an argument among Vedics as to whether the problem with unsatisfactory readings was due to incorrect ayanamsa versus incorrect birth-time.
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
As long as "my problem" remains in the realm of the unconscious it is beyond remedy and therefore compulsive in nature.
Jung's take on the Age of Aquarius, for which he risked his reputation to promote, was that the Age of Aquarius will bring the Collective Unconscious into the Collective Consciousness.
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
I saw an argument among Vedics as to whether the problem with unsatisfactory readings was due to incorrect ayanamsa versus incorrect birth-time.
Our astrology is most often the case probably.
The Following User Says Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:17 AM

Although I mentioned Jung, I am not referring to what he said but to personal life experience. There are things within us over which we have no control, and those things often compel us to act in ways we would not desire if we had a choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
IleneK (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:21 AM

Which sounds more in line with my understanding of what Jung said regarding the archetypes. One cannot "heal" an archetype seeing as how these structures are much more fundamental and intrinsic to our being, than the part of us that we believe is the prime mover of our being. Rather, one can only hope to come to terms with them, giving them space in your life for their manifestation and a shift in perspective that allows one to get on with life, in spite of the archetypal forces in one's life.
IleneK (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:33 AM

May Zeus be with you!
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
May Zeus be with you!
https://books.google.bg/books?id=Zg5...page&q&f=false

It can be found in the anthology of Vettius Valens 6.9.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-02-2018), JUPITERASC (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 03:57 AM

The "problem" with Rudhyar, as I see it, is that he over-reacted to the fatalistic astrology of his times and offered us a philosophy in which "free will" reigns supreme. It seems strange to me that among all of the creations of the universe only the human being has been blessed with the gift of free will. The conceit of humankind is boundless.
IleneK (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
The "problem" with Rudhyar, as I see it, is that he over-reacted to the fatalistic astrology of his times and offered us a philosophy in which "free will" reigns supreme. It seems strange to me that among all of the creations of the universe only the human being has been blessed with the gift of free will. The conceit of humankind is boundless.
But animals don't have free will. lol
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:08 AM

Read what he said again
JUPITERASC (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Read what he said again
Why
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:13 AM

He's saying the opposite of what you think he meant
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
We're the only species clueless enough to need it.
Unread 10-02-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I get very uncomfortable reading the "Authorities", although they usually have some good insights. So much is coming from their own, personal viewing-angle. I read something The Great Dane wrote about the 12th House that sounded like he believed you can "take the lemons and make lemonade".
It must be hard for you to discuss Dane Rudhyar without actually reading what he wrote.

I don't take him as an "authority" although he was extremely influential among modern astrologers of a more spiritual persuasion, such as Alan Oken. Rudhar was also taken with planetary orbits as astrologically meaningful cycles. See, for example, Alexander Ruperti, Cycles of Becoming.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
The Following User Says Thank You to waybread For This Useful Post:
david starling (10-02-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:09 AM

Every single thing we do, think or create is nothing more or less than the projection of our inner self. Rudhyar couldn't help himself anymore than you or I can.

I am my own authority. But that doesn't stop me from listening to others who may have something I need. Rejection -- or blind acceptance -- of "authority" simply because they do not wholly agree with the way I think things ought to be is foolish.
IleneK (10-03-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM

I have my own template, and some input fits and some doesn't. If something seems right intuitively and/or empirically, and doesn't fit my template, I adjust the template accordingly. So much is solely personal opinion-based though, I can't use it, and that much screening wears me out. I need comprehensive patterns and an overview.
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM

Example of projection of inner self:

Some years ago I read a little book called "Think on These Things" (a worthwhile read) by Jeddu Krishnamurti. I told a friend, not an astrologer, that I thought the man must have a very potent Uranus in his chart.

About a year later I bumped into his horoscope. Lo and behold -- Aquarius rising with Uranus rx as most elevated planet, conjunct MC in the 9th, the house of philosophy, opp Sun.

Krishnamurti's primary thesis is "internal revolution". Uranus retrograde. A secondary feature of his teachings he calls "The Mirror of Relationships". And there is the Moon (mirrors) opposing Venus (relationships), the opposition bringing the mirror of relationships to full awareness.

Everything we do, think or create is simply the projection of our inner self.
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Example of projection of inner self:

Some years ago I read a little book called "Think on These Things" (a worthwhile read) by Jeddu Krishnamurti. I told a friend, not an astrologer, that I thought the man must have a very potent Uranus in his chart.

About a year later I bumped into his horoscope. Lo and behold -- Aquarius rising with Uranus rx as most elevated planet, conjunct MC in the 9th, the house of philosophy, opp Sun.

Krishnamurti's primary thesis is "internal revolution". Uranus retrograde. A secondary feature of his teachings he calls "The Mirror of Relationships". And there is the Moon (mirrors) opposing Venus (relationships), the opposition bringing the mirror of relationships to full awareness.

Everything we do, think or create is simply the projection of our inner self.
I thought you weren't using the outermost Planets.
Unread 10-02-2018, 06:48 AM

I never said that. In 46 years of studying astrology, with the exception of 2 or 3 years when I experimented with using only the Chaldean planets, I have always used the outers. They add depth and detail.

I do give rulership to the old rulers, except when I think the chart asks for the modern planet to take the rulership.

Example of this, from a chart I looked at recently:

Saturn is lord of the horoscope with Capricorn rising and he is closely conjunct the IC. So he's powerful and I would normally give him rulership of Aquarius. But Uranus is posited in Aquarius. Therefore he holds dominion of that sign.

Saturn, clearly a powerful figure in the chart, still influences Aquarius but his influence is less direct, more "back-door". This idea, or situation will influence the way I interpret the chart.

Last edited by greybeard; 10-02-2018 at 07:12 AM.
david starling (10-02-2018)
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:18 AM

So when you wrote "seven planets is sufficient" , you meant unless there are extenuating circumstances. Understood!
Unread 10-02-2018, 07:28 AM

I meant that before 1781 the astrogers did just fine with 7 planets. Kepler predicted Wallenstein's death 30 years before it ocurred within the month.

Modern Hindu astrologers still use only 7 planets.

Last edited by greybeard; 10-02-2018 at 07:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
IleneK (10-03-2018), JUPITERASC (10-03-2018)

Tags
dane, rudhyar, things, thoughts