Jupiter is a malefic in modern astrology (compared to traditional)

Bunraku

In the modern view, many view Jupiter intrinsically a planet of gluttony and abundance, that whatever he touches will turn into an excess of unnecessary or unwanted items. Many people view this planet to be negative, despite also being considered the planet of good luck. Being the planet of good luck, you never find any modern astrologer using this in delineation to point out where the native is lucky or not. Just an excessive amount of whatever as far as they're concerned.

In traditional it's considered a benefic because of its stabilizing and temperate qualities. Of MODERATION. Ptolemy said "the ancients accepted two of the planets, Jupiter and Venus, together with the moon, as beneficent because of their tempered nature and because they abound in the hot and the moist, and Saturn and Mars as producing effects of the opposite nature, one because of his excessive cold and the other for his excessive dryness." Mars and Saturn were malefic because of their excessive nature.

Just pointing out a large gap in opinion. It's amazing how much astrology has changed. :surprised:

waybread

I've read a lot of modern astrology and I just don't see this. What are your sources?

I think a better view is that every planet can have positive or negative manifestations, depending on how it is aspected and how self-aware and emotionally mature the person is.

katydid

In the modern view, many view Jupiter intrinsically a planet of gluttony and abundance, that whatever he touches will turn into an excess of unnecessary or unwanted items. Many people view this planet to be negative, despite also being considered the planet of good luck. Being the planet of good luck, you never find any modern astrologer using this in delineation to point out where the native is lucky or not. Just an excessive amount of whatever as far as they're concerned.

In traditional it's considered a benefic because of its stabilizing and temperate qualities. Of MODERATION. Ptolemy said "the ancients accepted two of the planets, Jupiter and Venus, together with the moon, as beneficent because of their tempered nature and because they abound in the hot and the moist, and Saturn and Mars as producing effects of the opposite nature, one because of his excessive cold and the other for his excessive dryness." Mars and Saturn were malefic because of their excessive nature.

Just pointing out a large gap in opinion. It's amazing how much astrology has changed. :surprised:

I've not seen modern astrologers labelling Jupiter as Malefic. Not at all.

Only when it is in a very debilitating position and/otr aspect, such as in it's fall and squaring Saturn or another malefic, would it be considered a negative influence.

JUPITERASC

"..Jupiter completes 6 sidereal cycles and 65 synodic cycles with 71 years.
It has retreating arcs of 10 degrees for 120 days.
Jupiter is heating & moderately moistening, benefic, masculine & diurnal.."
VETTIUS VALENS - THE ANTHOLOGY :)

Traditional astrology remains traditional

I've read a lot of modern astrology and I just don't see this. What are your sources?
I think a better view is that every planet can have positive or negative manifestations, depending on how it is aspected and how self-aware and emotionally mature the person is.