Is Sidereal Astrology more accurate than Tropical?

JUPITERASC

Other problems include differing lengths of constellations, official start and end points for constellations that overlap or have gaps between, and of course, it offers yet another fracture in an already shattered discipline that desperately needs unity. Of course the latter most is just my own opinion.
Irrespective of Sidereal or Tropical methods being the preferred choice for delineation and while we are on the subject of 'differing lengths', what is your rationale for the fact that - because there are only 360 degrees in a circle - using current astrological software and practice, no natal chart is correctly divisible so as to account for the actual 365.256363 days of an earth orbit of the sun (year):smile:

Last edited:

dr. farr

'Cause one (365+ days of the year) is a measure and division of time, and the other (360 degrees) is a measure of space:biggrin: (and the division of a circle); however, Robson ("Fixed Stars and Constellations in Astrology") gives a method for converting measurement in space (the degrees) into measurement in time.

JUPITERASC

'Cause one (365+ days of the year) is a measure and division of time, and the other (360 degrees) is a measure of space:biggrin: (and the division of a circle); however, Robson ("Fixed Stars and Constellations in Astrology") gives a method for converting measurement in space (the degrees) into measurement in time.
365.256363 is the measure of the time it takes to travel a measure of space as symbolised by a circle designating the ecliptic - and since that circle is composed of 360 degrees it cannot accurately designate 'a degree for a year' beyond 360 years for example :smile:

dr. farr

Not being critical, but this is mechanics versus the symbolic, and my approach is the symbolic, so-for me-any mechanical "kinks" don't mean anything (this is only my own outlook regarding astrological matters; others are more inclined toward actual celestial mechanics and the intricacies of spherical geometry)

(Note: some of the early Modernist astrologers used 59.8 minutes = 1 year rather than 1 degree = 1 year; however, in simple symbolic progression I have always used 1 degree = 1 year)

JUPITERASC

Not being critical, but this is mechanics versus the symbolic, and my approach is the symbolic, so-for me-any mechanical "kinks" don't mean anything (this is only my own outlook regarding astrological matters; others are more inclined toward actual celestial mechanics and the intricacies of spherical geometry)

(Note: some of the early Modernist astrologers used 59.8 minutes = 1 year rather than 1 degree = 1 year; however, in simple symbolic progression I have always used 1 degree = 1 year)
no criticism inferred :smile:

Spherical trigonometry is interesting
- Somewhat paradoxically perhaps, I not only note celestial mechanics, use the techniques of celestial mechanics but also symbolically delineate in an ARTISTIC kind of way, of course using 1 degree = 1 year :smile:

sandstone

Banned
a path of liberation might be not picking a side.. another option is to pick a zodiac you'd like to work with.. go with it while not getting caught up on the idea someone else is using a different crayon to draw with or that it isn't the 'right' type of crayon they're working with.. think of astrology as an art as opposed to something cast in cement forever. if you live long enough you'll see the relativity of both so called zodiacs.. blame my natal jupiter at top of a t square for my preach-i-ness, 9th or 10th house, tropical leo or sideral cancer, lol - U-PICK! it doesn't matter that much in an ever expanding universe..

dr. farr

if Sidereal astrology uses constellations (and I'm new to both) why doesn't sidereal use Ophiucus?

And why not Orion either (also touches the ecliptic like Ophiucus)?

However, the answer here is symbolical and based on the whole system model outlook, not astronomical: one can construct an integral whole system model from a variety of "givens"-and it doesn't matter (for practical applications) whether or not the components of that model are "true" (in a scientific sense), IF the model "works" in reliably producing effective outcomes in practice. That's my opinion of why these various astrological "models" work in practice (meaning that they are productive of effective outcomes-in analysis and in prediction) Now such an outlook is a problem for someone seeking "objective scientific" (or philosophical) TRUTH, and I have no suggestions for someone seeking such TRUTH in these matters: but if, like me, you are looking to find a model (or models) which produce reliable (correct) outcomes (delineation, analysis, predictions) IN ACTUAL PRACTICE, then what one needs to do is to find the model which produces these reliable outcomes best: and often this depends more upon the practitioner's understanding and capacity to actually "work" the model, than the nature of the model itself...

MSO

And why not Orion either (also touches the ecliptic like Ophiucus)?

However, the answer here is symbolical and based on the whole system model outlook, not astronomical: one can construct an integral whole system model from a variety of "givens"-and it doesn't matter (for practical applications) whether or not the components of that model are "true" (in a scientific sense), IF the model "works" in reliably producing effective outcomes in practice. That's my opinion of why these various astrological "models" work in practice (meaning that they are productive of effective outcomes-in analysis and in prediction) Now such an outlook is a problem for someone seeking "objective scientific" (or philosophical) TRUTH, and I have no suggestions for someone seeking such TRUTH in these matters: but if, like me, you are looking to find a model (or models) which produce reliable (correct) outcomes (delineation, analysis, predictions) IN ACTUAL PRACTICE, then what one needs to do is to find the model which produces these reliable outcomes best: and often this depends more upon the practitioner's understanding and capacity to actually "work" the model, than the nature of the model itself...

In short, the system works with 12 signs, not 14.

sequestra

another option is to pick a zodiac you'd like to work with.. go with it while not getting caught up on the idea someone else is using a different crayon to draw with or that it isn't the 'right' type of crayon they're working with.. think of astrology as an art as opposed to something cast in cement forever

This is an awesome analogy.

sandstone

Banned
thanks sequestra..

approaching astrology as an art seems to offer more freedom as i see it.. whatever options one goes for in the astrology field will take on a different and possibly gentler grace to it..

here is an example that might be relevant.. i know a few astrologers who combine helio and geo positions to come to conclusions on a chart.. while it is an unorthodox approach, it has merit to them..i think allowing different strokes for different folks is positive way to approach astrology too..

JUPITERASC

[deleted off-topic comment - Moderator]

I posted the following information on another thread on this same subject some time ago when I stated: "It is clear that both sidereal and tropical astrologers use 30 degree markings for the twelve constellations. In that sense these two zodiacs have that much in common therefore if it is a criticism, it is a criticism that applies to both tropical and sidereal astrology.

The precise documented reasons why the particular twelve constellations were chosen and why 30 degree segments were then assigned are no longer available and therefore must remain speculative.

The major difference that is non-speculative but is provable by direct personal experience, is that when one views the heavens as ancient astrologers did, without the aid of computers but by actually looking up at the skies visually and making notes and observations the difference then seems rather obvious

Ancient as well as modern astrologers viewed/may view the wandering stars, sun and moon in the foreground of constellations that are visible for those who wish to go outdoors, and confirm for themselves, directly in person, whether Libra or Virgo is actually rising on the Eastern horizon just before sunrise or not.

In contrast, for modern astrologers, although the Tropical zodiac looks fine on the computer screen. it is in fact totally out of synch with the reality of what is seen in the skies by anyone wishing to go outdoors and check.

The constellations or actual physical groups of stars associated with Images in the Sidereal Zodiac are much more closely aligned than are the Tropical 'signs'.

Th
is is merely an observation on my part and not particularly intended as a criticism:smile:

Historical Note:
Before Copernicus:
850 C.E. – Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Kathīr al-Farghānī (Alfraganus) gives values for the obliquity of the ecliptic, the precessional movement of the apogees of the Sun

1150 – Indian mathematician-astronomer Bhāskara II, in the Siddhanta Shiromani, calculates the longitudes and latitudes of the planets, lunar and solar eclipses, risings and settings, the Moon's lunar crescent, syzygies, and conjunctions of the planets with each other and with the fixed stars, and explains the three problems of diurnal rotation

1150s – Bhaskara calculates the planetary mean motion, ellipses, first visibilities of the planets, the lunar crescent, the seasons, and the length of the Earth's revolution around the Sun to 9 decimal places.

~1350 – Ibn al-Shatir anticipates Copernicus by abandoning the equant of Ptolemy in his calculations of planetary motion, and he provides the first empirical model of lunar motion which accurately matches observations"

Last edited by a moderator:

tsmall

Premium Member
The major difference that is non-speculative but is provable by direct personal experience, is that when one views the heavens as ancient astrologers did, without the aid of computers but by actually looking up at the skies visually and making notes and observations the difference then seems rather obvious

Ancient as well as modern astrologers viewed/may view the wandering stars, sun and moon in the foreground of constellations that are visible for those who wish to go outdoors, and confirm for themselves, directly in person, whether Libra or Virgo is actually rising on the Eastern horizon just before sunrise or not.

In contrast, for modern astrologers, although the Tropical zodiac looks fine on the computer screen. it is in fact totally out of synch with the reality of what is seen in the skies by anyone wishing to go outdoors and check.

The constellations or actual physical groups of stars associated with Images in the Sidereal Zodiac are much more closely aligned than are the Tropical 'signs'.

Th
is is merely an observation on my part and not particularly intended as a criticism:smile:

Well, this junior astrologer recently viewed Saturn moving into LIBRA on 11/14...

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=330322&postcount=160

:whistling: