Which house system is the most accurate?

cherrybelle

I'm curious about the differences of the house systems.
Most people now use the Placidus, but I heard that Whole Signs is more accurate. However, the interpretation of charts, especially the planets in houses between placidus and whole signs are very different.

So, which house system should we use to get better read?:rolleyes:

I, myself, think that whole signs systems does explain myself better than placidus. :unsure:

rollindays

Most people now use the Placidus, but I heard that Whole Signs is more accurate. However, the interpretation of charts, especially the planets in houses between placidus and whole signs are very different.

I, myself, think that whole signs systems does explain myself better than placidus. :unsure:

Watch this, I think you will enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgS_iMS7Cr0

Last edited:

AJ Astrology

Hi cherrybelle,

I use Whole Sign houses. I find house systems to be arbitrary and self-serving. I think if any type of house system should be used, it should be based on the diurnal/nocturnal hours.

Claire19

this is a vexed question often. I figure you watch your transits and see what works for you. I use equal as much as placidus and for my chart it makes no real difference as it happens. But many others have a real dilemma until they are expert enough to sort out what works for them re planetary placements. Living near the poles can give very skewed houses with Placidus for sure.

waybread

This is one of those World War III questions amongst astrologers. It really depends upon whom you ask. But don't take their word for it. Try different systems with your chart and the charts of people you know well.

I personally don't think one size fits all.

Normally I use Placidus, and its house cusps are supposed to be the most time-sensitive. But that sensitivity would be misleading if you don't have an accurate birth time. The Koch system is supposed to be a refinement of Placidus.

All of the house systems tend to break down at high latitudes. If someone is born above the Arctic circle, for example, there will be at least some time around the winter solstice when the sun never peeps above the horizon. There might be only a couple of hours of daylight just south of it; yet half the chart theoretically indicates the time the sun is above the horizon. Quadrant house systems and equal house systems both skew this problem, though in different ways.

Traditional horary astrologers find Regiomontanus houses to work best.

In a nativity or even chart, see which house system best describes the situation at hand. For example, in the chart of a wealthy person, does one system or another move Jupiter into the second house of money?

I think whole signs do fit some people the best. But not everybody.

Think of a house system like a picture of a person's head. Each system shows the same head, but one camera angle might be full-front, one left profile, one oblique right profile, and so on.

Also, each house system has a different set of mathematical and astronomical assumptions behind it. Some may be more to your liking than others.

Jadi

I've been interested in Tropical Vedic Astrology for a while now and those who study it swear by the Campanus system, Ernst Wilhelm for example. I don't know, in Campanus my cusps are even more compressed than in Placidus :biggrin:

And yes, Whole Signs seems to work when I work with the rulers of the houses but then I can also acknowledge that my Sun could also be in the seventh instead of the eight, it would fit both. It's a mixed bag.