Meeting online friends in person

chris10

I've been a member on here for a bit more than a year.

There have been times I've spent a few hours on here a day :w00t: wow- and other times when I would stay away for weeks - those were times my interest in astrology would wane

But I have to admit that I have made a few friends and with some I became close, we email each other regularly... must be my 11th house placements ...

What connects me with these online friends is our imutual interest in astrology

What is missing in my real life friendships is that they have no interest in astrology whatsoever :pouty: ...

Bottomline is, I have arranged to meet in person with three friends from this forum.

I can't travel a lot because of my job but I can do some travelling during Christmas, Easter and the summer.

I always travel with friends, never on my own.

If you are interested in meeting in person, I would love to travel to your place in one of my next trips. :smile:

Some may say that something like this can be dangerous, but I don't think it is when you meet in public places and never alone.

You can reply on this thread, PM me or email me if you're interested

Christine :smile:

mdinaz

I've met online friends from other forums in person, it's not a big deal. Just meet in a public place and don't give personal information up in advance like your home address or anything. I live in Southern Arizona and can travel to Tucson in about 90 minutes; Phoenix is a few hours away but I drive up there on occasion as well. If anyone wants to meet up in those areas I'm always game. I always meet in public places like a sports bar or some sort of happy hour restaurant.

chris10

I've met online friends from other forums in person, it's not a big deal. Just meet in a public place and don't give personal information up in advance like your home address or anything. I live in Southern Arizona and can travel to Tucson in about 90 minutes; Phoenix is a few hours away but I drive up there on occasion as well. If anyone wants to meet up in those areas I'm always game. I always meet in public places like a sports bar or some sort of happy hour restaurant.

wow, nice :smile:
It's just that when you meet in person it feels you can't be lied to as easily as when the other person is just a name and an astro chart online.

I wouldn't give my home address and of course not even my last name.
And these meetings will always be with my friends accompanying me.

Tucson you said? :biggrin:

Maybe we could arrange a meeting for the summer :smile:

mdinaz

wow, nice :smile:
It's just that when you meet in person it feels you can't be lied to as easily as when the other person is just a name and an astro chart online.

I wouldn't give my home address and of course not even my last name.
And these meetings will always be with my friends accompanying me.

Tucson you said? :biggrin:

Maybe we could arrange a meeting for the summer :smile:

You know it gets really hot here in the summer, right? :) I'd suggest late winter when the weather is really nice. February and early March are peak tourist season, also October and November. In summer it gets over 100 degrees regularly and in monsoon season (late June - early September) it gets humid too with lots of storms.

chris10

You know it gets really hot here in the summer, right? :) I'd suggest late winter when the weather is really nice. February and early March are peak tourist season, also October and November. In summer it gets over 100 degrees regularly and in monsoon season (late June - early September) it gets humid too with lots of storms.

Well, I'm used to hot weather :biggrin: but I hate humidity.
It will be impossible for me to make it during the time frame you mentioned/suggested because of my work :(

I was planning on visiting my birthplace - Chicago - in the summer and from there visit a few more States.
It' s the only time I can get my friends to travel with me to another continent since I now live in Europe - Greece- :)

mdinaz

Southern Arizona is ok during summer, it doesn't get as hot here because of the much higher elevation (5000 feet versus 2800 feet in Tucson and 1200 feet in Phoenix). It is not the same sort of desert like in Tucson or Phoenix, more grass and trees. Plus touristy places like Tombstone is nearby (about 15 miles from here).

chris10

Southern Arizona is ok during summer, it doesn't get as hot here because of the much higher elevation (5000 feet versus 2800 feet in Tucson and 1200 feet in Phoenix). It is not the same sort of desert like in Tucson or Phoenix, more grass and trees. Plus touristy places like Tombstone is nearby (about 15 miles from here).

Sounds nice :biggrin:
So now I'll have to see to it that AZ is one of the States we'll include in our summer visit :smile:
... looking forward to meeting you :smile:

Skillcoil

I did it a few times years ago, never went well. I think because I was much more negative/dramatic in my blog and people wanted to interact with that rather than develop friendships and positive experiences. It was for the best, not interested in further embracing my flaws. I have Moon/Saturn/Uranus in the 10th house, but Jupiter opposing it in the 3rd, maybe this explains the dichotomy?

mdinaz

Sounds nice :biggrin:
So now I'll have to see to it that AZ is one of the States we'll include in our summer visit :smile:
... looking forward to meeting you :smile:

Sounds good, we'll message here when you get close to your actual trip. Anyone else reading here is also welcome to join if you are anywhere in the area.

chris10

Sounds good, we'll message here when you get close to your actual trip. Anyone else reading here is also welcome to join if you are anywhere in the area.

OK, perfect :smile:

I did it a few times years ago, never went well. I think because I was much more negative/dramatic in my blog and people wanted to interact with that rather than develop friendships and positive experiences. It was for the best, not interested in further embracing my flaws. I have Moon/Saturn/Uranus in the 10th house, but Jupiter opposing it in the 3rd, maybe this explains the dichotomy?

I'm sorry about your not so positive experience.
This can only work if both sides are interested in actually working on developing a friendship.
If you change your mind I'm always open to suggestions on places I can visit so as to meet new people. :smile:

Hmmm ... to anyone who is interested, male or female, 18 years old or 118 years old ...
Another suggestion would be that since I currently live in Greece, you could visit this beautiful country and we could meet here, maybe travel around a few places together :smile:
Tourists are always trying to start up a conversation asking me just about everything :smile:

Skillcoil

chris10 said:
I'm sorry about your not so positive experience.
This can only work if both sides are interested in actually working on developing a friendship.
If you change your mind I'm always open to suggestions on places I can visit so as to meet new people.

Thank you, I don't think I would be ready yet but I will keep this in mind. :)

Phoenix Venus

Another suggestion would be that since I currently live in Greece, you could visit this beautiful country and we could meet here, maybe travel around a few places together :smile:
Tourists are always trying to start up a conversation asking me just about everything :smile:

Would you mind sharing a bit about what it is like to live in Greece? How is the atmosphere there? I am greek in origin so I love hearing about it :) My great great grandparents on my dads side moved to Pennsylvania from Greece. I've never been out of the country but it is one place i would like to visit some day.

chris10

Would you mind sharing a bit about what it is like to live in Greece? How is the atmosphere there? I am greek in origin so I love hearing about it :) My great great grandparents on my dads side moved to Pennsylvania from Greece. I've never been out of the country but it is one place i would like to visit some day.

Hmmm, 4 years ago I would say that it's just like living in the US concerning living standards. There was lower class, middle class, upper class just like in the US.
Right now, about 80% of the population have to live on 300 - 1000 euro a month. 10% earn about 1000 - 2000 euro a month and the rest 10 % more than 2000 euros a month.

Living on very little money? It's feasible, I have tried it but hey :whistling: I have saturn on an angle, I can live a Spartan life; I have all my life, that's why this situation hasn't really affected me so far.

If you are talking about Greece as a country, places to visit and see ...

I have no words to describe that feeling I personally get.
To me it's mesmerizing

I wasn't born here, my mother is from Greece, I was raised in the US but this place ...
it feels like it holds some magic power over me, I feel like I'm tied to this place.
It's weird that my IC is 25*55 Sagit and my Relocation ASC is 26*30 Sagit.
Maybe I was meant to be here.
I have been having thoughts of moving back to the US for good, but I can't see myself living in my birth city.

Concerning the political situation; the Media does tend to blow things a bit out of proportion concerning riots etc. The other day my cousin called me asking me if I'm OK because of some riots in the center of the city.
I told her that I felt safer being in the center of those riots than passing by a gang in Madrit.
It's just that Greece has been a quiet place - compared to the rest of the world - and now this has changed.
When people are jobless they are angry, and when they get angry, they take to the streets demonstrating their anger.

Things are bad concerning the financial situation because about 1 out of 4 people I know, have lost their jobs. we're talking about middle middle class and upper middle class. It's much worse further down we go.
That's one of the reasons I'm not even thinking of having a family of my own any more.
In my family, 2 out of 4 people still have their jobs ... and that's because it's our own private business. We are the lucky ones.
The good thing is that the people have not given up and the ones who have lost their jobs have been helped by family members - that's one of the good things in this small country.
They have φιλοτιμο ... it's quite a difficult word to translate into English, it means the person who combines conscience, generosity, kindness, philanthropy.
On the other hand, there are those who can be real as#es, well there are people whose IQ hits rock bottom in every country :biggrin: right?

What has happened is this: money was being borrowed from the EU for years for the development of the country but that money never reached the People.
Some politicians are in jail for "borrowing" that money and German Siemens admitted bribing greek politicians to help them out in their business deals.
Yet, the same political parties are voted again and again....
do you know why? Because politicians would promise jobs to people in exchange for their vote.
He*l,
if I were poor and a politician offered me a job ... I think you would find me guilty of voting those corrupted politicians.
Anyway, I think it's much deeper than that. Europeans, mostly Germans and Russians have been visiting Greece looking to buy large pieces of land, mostly in Peloponesse and the islands. The Greeks, are tied to their roots and they don't give up their land easily (The Ottoman Empire enslaved this country for 400 years and they were unable to assimilate the Greeks in their own culture) My grandfather has said that he would never sell his land to them even if he had no food to eat - and he and his parents actually proved that during the German invasion in the 40s' when he, being 7-8 years old at the time, almost died of famine.
Anyway, call me a conspiracy theorist but this is just a game to them.
I think all this is going down because they want control over this land ... how do you take control over a country?
Either by invading the country - didn't work 70 years ago -
or by financially "enslaving" them

Imagine "George" borrowing $1000 for 30 years from his friend "Nick".
"George" only gives back to "Nick" $100 a year.
Well is Nick stupid to be lending money to George all the time?
No, he is just sly, he knows George will have trouble paying him back and in the end, Nick will ask for George's house , car and whatnot.
The fact is that George has borrowed $30,000 total, gave back $3,000 but he will have to pay back $300,000. That's what has been happening in Southern Europe. It's just how the Mafia works.

mdinaz

Some politicians are in jail for "borrowing" that money and German Siemens admitted bribing greek politicians to help them out in their business deals.
Yet, the same political parties are voted again and again....
do you know why? Because politicians would promise jobs to people in exchange for their vote.

Hmmm, that sounds strangely familiar.

Phoenix Venus

Chris10, thank you for sharing :)

A very similar economic situation is going on here in USA... due to it being such a big country and "padded" the effects on individuals are slower.. but still moving down the same path....

actually i surmise that similar situations are happening all over the world.... where oh where is all the elusive money going...?

You seem like an intelligent and aware person... i am sure that feeling you have for your country is valuable and you will make a difference there... big or small :)

Last edited:

chris10

A very similar economic situation is going on here in USA... due to it being such a big country and "padded" the effects on individuals are slower.. but still moving down the same path....

actually i surmise that similar situations are happening all over the world.... where oh where is all the elusive money going...?

You seem like an intelligent and aware person... i am sure that feeling you have for your country is valuable and you will make a difference there... big or small :)

Chris10, thank you for sharing :)
No, Thank You for giving me the chance to share !!