Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:20 AM

Re: The clockwork of Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
Imagine trying to come up with fancy methods to get more queries correct with shotgunning. I don't see why astrology should not degenerate into that if there is no objectivity in it.
Who says there's no objectivity to it? Just not the sort of objectivity that you like, apparently.

Who is "shotgunning"? What do you mean by that? If you believe yourself to be objective, then you don't have to write in metaphors.

Do not confuse "objective" with "deterministic" or "fatalistic." Do not confuse objectivity with linear causality. Start thinking about complex systems and models, and how they operate.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
There is something sinister in the way Cornelius sells full subjectivity under the guise of something magical/literature/divination. This leads to so much confusion because most people think he simply means replacement by another mechanism of synchronicity (see his podcast with Chris Brennan).

I will have it in mind that you understand him correct the next time you give me some advice though. I am keen on building a scientific system rather than a mentalist one.
I have yet to see you try to build a system that is remotely scientific. To understand science, go chat with the faculty in your nearest university astronomy department or observatory.

Ptolemy and Aristotle are not scientific in today's terms. Neither is Copernicus or Galileo. Science is heavily based upon experimentation, observation, measurement, and statistics. Think of those people as pre-scientists or proto-scientists.

I've pointed out a number of times that objectivity is not the same as science. History is one of the humanities, yet historians are in the business of learning and publishing facts, for example. Or think about a court of law, where attorneys try to extablish the precise facts of the case.

I don't think astrology is a form of divination. I've explained what I think it is. I merely pointed out your mis-reading of Geoffrey Cornelius.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.

Last edited by waybread; 05-20-2019 at 05:28 AM.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Petosiris, I am sorry that you find me so threatening.
Honestly I am sad in that you are trying to mix reality and delusion.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
It is a contentious subject, so it is bound to have polarizing opinions. Either the planets are able influence your life (or able to perfectly synchronize with 7 billion people) or they don't.
Way too simplistic.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:31 AM

No, no, and no.

Are you merely trying to be annoying, or do you have actual rational arguments to make? I suspect the former.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
No, no, and no.

Are you merely trying to be annoying, or do you have actual rational arguments to make? I suspect the former.
Suppose I was a skeptic and I argued that astrology ''worked'' (because it does according to the subjects) based on these psychological mechanisms. How would you reply?
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would bother me if it proved to be bogus. But you wouldn't mind if you happened to be tricking yourself or other people?
Since I don't "trick" myself or other people, where's the problem?

It might surprise you to learn that people come to this forum requesting astrological readings. They've already made some decisions about it.

Petosiris, about how many chart readings, on average, do you give per week?

Just curious.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Honestly I am sad in that you are trying to mix reality and delusion.
You wouldn't know the difference.

And no, you are not sad.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Suppose I was a skeptic and I argued that astrology ''worked'' (because it does according to the subjects) based on these psychological mechanisms. How would you reply?
What "psychological mechanisms" are you talking about?

The Barnum effect?

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Since I don't "trick" myself or other people, where's the problem?

It might surprise you to learn that people come to this forum requesting astrological readings. They've already made some decisions about it.

Petosiris, about how many chart readings, on average, do you give per week?

Just curious.
Jesus, you are way more experienced than me, please.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
What "psychological mechanisms" are you talking about?

The Barnum effect?
Yeah, why not. Don't you think it plays a role in your symbolic system?
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Do not confuse "objective" with "deterministic" or "fatalistic." Do not confuse objectivity with linear causality. Start thinking about complex systems and models, and how they operate.
Oh yes, we definitely do not want to be fully deterministic without objectivity.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:46 AM

I am impressed by the bold readings you did despite the fact you don't believe they are valid beyond chance.
Unread 05-20-2019, 05:59 AM

You should advertise the fact that you don't believe that astrology is an objective phenomenon occurring in nature, that your predictions are not better than random guesses, and that human psychology can be deceived by random statements seeming to form objectivity. Until you acknowledge either that fact or that astrology is a valid phenomenon with different way of influence, I would have you on my ignore list. I am really not trying to annoy you, just very sad.
Unread 05-20-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
The Magnetic Field Matrix, which is what astrology is all about, is both within us and all around us. The best we can achieve is subjective objectivity. Some are attracted to astrology, some are repelled, others are ambivalent.
Quote:
Subjective objectivity means being objective from your own viewpoint. It won't be one-size-fits-all.
Oh, I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the use of the terms attract/repel along with magnetic field matrix.

I get what you mean about subjectively objective, although objectively subjective might be more accurate.
Unread 05-20-2019, 07:07 AM

Petosiris, since you either cannot or will not stop lying about me, I see no point in continuing this "discussion" with you. You either cannot or will not be truthful.

I don't hold it against you, however. In your universe, the planets made you do it.

C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Unread 05-20-2019, 07:14 AM

Smile Re: The clockwork of Astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
Oh, I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the use of the terms attract/repel along with magnetic field matrix.

I get what you mean about subjectively objective, although objectively subjective might be more accurate.
I use the Heliocentric model to determine the Cardinal Domicile-rulers and the Sun as Leo's Domicle-ruler, as applied to the Geocentric Chart. So, I agree--that would be objectively subjective.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Flapjacks (05-20-2019)
Unread 05-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Petosiris, since you either cannot or will not stop lying about me, I see no point in continuing this "discussion" with you. You either cannot or will not be truthful.

I don't hold it against you, however. In your universe, the planets made you do it.
The planetary placements correlate with a propensity for doing it.
Unread 05-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Siriusly
You're a catalytic thinker.
Unread 05-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Denying astrology is like denying gravity. It doesn't stop operating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petosiris For This Useful Post:
david starling (05-20-2019), JUPITERASC (05-20-2019)
Unread 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:

You're a catalytic thinker.

not a catalytic converter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
Flapjacks (05-20-2019)

Tags
astrology, clockwork