Understanding receptions

lunaluna

I've been reading up on receptions and I've found some contradicting information and I need help understanding how receptions actually work.

I'll try and explain what confuses me through an example. Let's say we have a horary chart, the question is ''Does she have feelings for me?'' Let's say that the querent's significator is Sun, and it's in Libra, and the quesited's significator is Venus. So Sun is received by Venus. What does this mean? That the Sun likes Venus, because it's in her sign OR Venus likes Sun, because it receives Sun?

I know that astrology is not that simple and that you can't have an answer by looking at just one thing, the example from above is just for the sake of explaining what confuses me about receptions.

tikana

I've been reading up on receptions and I've found some contradicting information and I need help understanding how receptions actually work.

I'll try and explain what confuses me through an example. Let's say we have a horary chart, the question is ''Does she have feelings for me?'' Let's say that the querent's significator is Sun, and it's in Libra, and the quesited's significator is Venus. So Sun is received by Venus. What does this mean? That the Sun likes Venus, because it's in her sign OR Venus likes Sun, because it receives Sun?

I know that astrology is not that simple and that you can't have an answer by looking at just one thing, the example from above is just for the sake of explaining what confuses me about receptions.

It's the same.. i know it is worded wierdly.
if sun in libra -- sun is accepting venus
for the venus it is attacted to sun
its like sun welcomes venus = venus is welcomed by the sun
but you need to have an aspect. receptions mean nothing without n aspect

wierdness coming in when sun is in taurus vs sun in libra are different .. sun in libra is weak if not malefic .. sun in taurus is better positioned

lunaluna

It's the same.. i know it is worded wierdly.
if sun in libra -- sun is accepting venus
for the venus it is attacted to sun
its like sun welcomes venus = venus is welcomed by the sun
but you need to have an aspect. receptions mean nothing without n aspect

wierdness coming in when sun is in taurus vs sun in libra are different .. sun in libra is weak if not malefic .. sun in taurus is better positioned

How do we translate those placements when we interpret charts, that's what's bugging me.

Example: the querent wants to know what her love interest feels, what he thinks about her. She is signified by Mercury, he's Jupiter. Mercury's in Pisces, in this particular chart Jupiter receives it by domicile and triplicity. But,Mercury in this placement is peregrine and in fall and detriment. Meanwhile, Jupiter is in Capricorn, in detriment. There's no aspect between the significators.
One way of looking at it is Jupiter receives Mercury, but Mercury does not receive Jupiter, so Jupiter is the one that ''feels'' here. Jupiter is also in detriment, so he does not feel good.
OR Mercury is in Jupiter's domicile and triplicity and Jupiter isn't received by Mercury, so Jupiter is not really focused or thinking about Mercury, plus there is no aspect between them. So it means Mercury's the one with feelings, Jupiter is out of the picture here, no feelings there.

Which way makes sense? I'd say the second part

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I've been reading up on receptions
and I've found some contradicting information
and I need help understanding how receptions actually work.

I'll try and explain what confuses me through an example.
Let's say we have a horary chart, the question is '
'Does she have feelings for me?''
Let's say that the querent's significator is Sun, and it's in Libra, and
the quesited's significator is Venus.
So Sun is received by Venus.
What does this mean?
That the Sun likes Venus, because it's in her sign
OR Venus likes Sun, because it receives Sun?
I know that astrology is not that simple
and that you can't have an answer by looking at just one thing,
the example from above is just for the sake of explaining what confuses me about receptions.
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=300038&postcount=9
The outcome of an Horary Question
revolves around Perfect Reception.
Perfect Reception is by Sign, Exaltation
Triplicity AND Term
or
Triplicity AND Decan.

Reception is about "allowing."
A Planet that receives another Planet
is allowing that Planet to act.
When you come into my home (Sign/Exaltation)
you can eat all my food, drink all my beer
scratch up all my CDs, swim in my pool, shower
and kick my dog around.

When Mars is in aspect with a Planet in Aries, Scorpio or Capricorn
that's what Mars is telling the Planet to do.
Make yourself at home.

When Venus is in aspect with a Planet in Aries, Scorpio or Virgo
that would be like

the person who just murdered all of your family and friends
is now beating on your door
telling you they want to come in and talk to you (you are Venus).
Are you going to let them in?
You'd be a fool, because they're probably going to kill you too.

When Saturn is in aspect with a Planet in Taurus, Virgo, Gemini, Scorpio, Sagittarius or Pisces, that would be you sitting in your car at a traffic light, and someone knocks on your window and wants you to give them a ride.

You might feel a little uncomfortable, then again, maybe you're cool with it. What you actually do will depend on how that person is "dressed" (the Planet's condition) and how safe you feel (Saturn's condition). Maybe you recognize them because they work in the same building you do, or live in the same apartment complex, so you've seen them around before.

Whether or not that Planet acts,
and the extent to which it can act,
is dependent on

the Planet's condition and placement in the Chart.

Sextiles are "indifferent good." Sextiles are always between Signs of the same gender: Feminine-Feminine or Masculine-Masculine. It is the same with trines, except that trines are much more powerful than sextiles and trines represent unity, harmony and flow.

Simple deductive reasoning
leads us to conclude that squares and oppositions
are between Signs of different genders: Feminine-Masculine.
Modern Astrologers believe Traditional is sexist, racist and chauvinistic
so they prefer gender-neutral terms like "active" in lieu of Masculine
and "passive" rather than "Feminine."
It's still the same.
Sextles/trines are between two active Signs or two passive Signs
and
squares and oppositions are between active-passive Signs.
That's why oppositions and squares represent conflict
and more so squares
which indicate extreme enmity or hatred
especially if the Planet is making an aspect from a Sign of Detriment/Fall.
In other types of charts
squares and oppositions require reception to mitigate some of the hostility
but in Horary it requires Perfect Reception.

There are some Horary Questions in which a square or opposition with Perfect Reception can indicate a "Yes" answer, and also for those same Questions, a sextile or trine with no Reception can indicate a "Yes" answer.

Why?

It's the nature of the Question. In Job/Career Questions the relationship between an employer and an employee is inherently antagonistic. That's why squares and oppositions with Perfect Reception and sextles/trines without Perfect Reception indicate a "Yes" (but the Querent will have to persevere and work very hard to get what they want). Buying/Selling is another Question, because the relationship between buyers and sellers is antagonistic, right? I mean the person selling a home or car wants to make as much as they can, and you, the buyer, want to pay as little as you can, and that creates a conflict.

Who in their right mind would say that a marital relationship is inherently antagonistic? Only a nutter would say something like that (and then snivel and whine because they can't find romance).

Even when you have sextiles/trines with Perfect Reception in a Relationship Question, you have to look at the condition of the significators. Planets that are in Detriment/Fall, Peregrine, Retrograde, Slow, Cadent, Out-of-Sect and/or impeded indicate weak people who might even be evil malicious spiteful people.

So, sure, the Querent might get to date whomever, but in the end, the Querent will destroy the relationship because they are weak or evil.

A strong significator, one in Sign/Exaltation or their own Triplicity, Direct, Fast, in Hayz, Angular or Succedent, in aspect to a Benefic, indicates a strong person, who knows what they want and is acting out of goodness and they are capable of following through or seeing things through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourage
Can't it signify exactly what an opposition would signify, in my opinion, which is going from one extreme to the other, meaning from love to hate and vice versa?

No, personal opinions aren't relevant.
Horary (and Traditional) Astrology works because
it's based on rules that have been around for 7,000 years and
repeatedly tested and repeatedly proven.
My interpretation of an opposition, or any aspect
is not based on my opinion or beliefs.
It's based on texts dating back 2,000 years,
and those texts are copies older texts going back 5,000 years.
When people start changing the rules
because they don't like them
or don't understand them, it causes problems (and bad interpretations).

If you don't believe that ask Modern Noel Tyl. He's been eating Humble Crow Pie, because guess what? Contrary to what Modern Astrologers say, there is such a thing as Peregrine Planet, and it does make a difference if a Planet is Peregrine or not, and yes, Occidental Jupiter and Oriental Jupiter are two entirely different Jupiters that mean two different things. And yes, he uses those traditional concepts (Peregrine and Oriental/Occidental) in his Midheaven Extension Process for vocational aptitudes. Why? Because they work.

If you want to use his method of identifying careers, you have to learn the difference between Occidental Venus and Oriental Venus, and Saturn and Peregrine Saturn, and Peregrine Occidental Mars and Peregrine Oriental Mars, because those Planets all mean something different.

Eventually he'll get around to figuring out that Mars in Hayz and Mars Out-of-Sect are not the same Mars just as Venus in Hayz and Venus Out-of-Sect are not the same Venus and he'll have to publish a new edition to his book.

So we follow the rules because they work and if we bend or change the rules because we want to see something that isn't in the chart, then we fail in our interpretation.

Quote:
Of course, one would have to keep in mind the rest of the chart + what the significators are doing, but I mean the opposition in itself, as an aspect between two significators.

Okay, did you look at the Moon?

Moon is Peregrine.
Moon is Cadent, but Moon Joys in 3rd House
Moon is Slow (Slow Moon = Retrograde Planet)
Moon is Decreasing in Light.
Moon and Mercury are Planetary Enemies
(and Jupiter is Peregrine)

Mercury currently receives Moon by Decan, a very weak form of Dignity, but when the aspect perfects, there will be no Reception which means Malefic Mercury impedes Moon.

What kind of person is Querent?

I'm going to cop out and claim to be a "gentleman" and not answer that.

And here you have two Planets in opposition that are Planetary Enemies, and there is no Reception at all, one is in poor condition and other also in poor condition being Peregrine and Out-of-Sect and Cadent.

And Moon is in a Violent Human Sign.

Assuming this opposition represented an obstacle, neither Planet has the strength or power to act, and so there is no way the obstacle can be overcome.

And see, here's where Reception and "allowing" come into play. Neither Planet is allowing the other to act.

Effectively, Mercury and Moon are rejecting each other.

Do you want to know the real story here?

Querent is jealous that Mercury is paying attention and flirting with her friend. Querent has no real interest in Mercury. She just wants to play mind games with her friend.

Quote:
Also, Mercury is in Fall?

Modern Astrology says so, but then Modern Astrology also says Occidental/Oriental Planets don't matter.

In any event, we totally ignore Modern Astrology when doing Horary interpretations.

There are several Signs that have no Exaltation Ruler: Gemini, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Scorpio and Leo.

The North Node is Exalted in Gemini and the South Node in Sagittarius, but those are Chart Points, not Planets.
How do we translate those placements when we interpret charts, that's what's bugging me.

Example: the querent wants to know what her love interest feels, what he thinks about her. She is signified by Mercury, he's Jupiter. Mercury's in Pisces, in this particular chart Jupiter receives it by domicile and triplicity. But,Mercury in this placement is peregrine and in fall and detriment. Meanwhile, Jupiter is in Capricorn, in detriment. There's no aspect between the significators.
One way of looking at it is Jupiter receives Mercury, but Mercury does not receive Jupiter, so Jupiter is the one that ''feels'' here. Jupiter is also in detriment, so he does not feel good.
OR Mercury is in Jupiter's domicile and triplicity and Jupiter isn't received by Mercury, so Jupiter is not really focused or thinking about Mercury, plus there is no aspect between them. So it means Mercury's the one with feelings, Jupiter is out of the picture here, no feelings there.

sworm09

Mercury is received by Jupiter only in domicile in Pisces. Jupiter's triplicities are the Fire and Air signs. Jupiter is in his Fall in Capricorn, rather than his detriment.

So Mercury isn't in his own home (Gemini or Virgo), so he can't do what he wants to do. What's more is that he's in the sign of his depression. He's brought down and low. He looks to Jupiter for help, since he's in Jupiter's house. Mercury can see Jupiter since Pisces and Capricorn sextile each other. So Mercury and Jupiter actually like each other. However Jupiter is in Fall, so he can't help Mercury because he himself is in a precarious situation.

Without applications or seperations, I'd say that you're right. Mercury is inclined to Jupiter, and Jupiter likes Mercury because they're in sextile. However the sextile is pretty mild and both planets are weak, so nothing happens really good comes of it. It's a situation where you have someone reaching out in desperation to someone who can't help them.

Last edited: