planets on your angles: born to rule??

Howl

In seeking further understanding of planets conjunct Nadir (for me, Pluto, Jupiter and possibly Saturn) I stumbled across this article, intended to describe the effect of natal planets situated on the angles.

http://www.dearbrutus.com/angularity.html

Now you may notice some bias - I suspect it was written by someone with almost all their planets perched on angles :D

If you're interested, have a look at the article (there's a summary chart half way through - I'd post it but I can't figure out how) and let me know what you think.

Accurate? Useful? Do planets on the angles truly "distinguish" you??

For example:

Jupiter/IC – Brisk – You are good-natured, tolerant, and resilient (above-it-all). You don’t take things personally, but have a smooth and lofty manner which minimizes friction and bother, and which keeps you free of compromising entanglements.

Pluto/IC – Stubborn – You are self-assured and opinionated (deaf). You are capable of taking a position and making a stand without being arrogant or offensive. Overtly agreeable and tractable, you are skilled in the art of winning acquiescence without yielding an inch.

Last edited:

Mary

I liked the article I think it was very accurate, specially the first part.

I have plantes in the angles:

Moon (ruler of 1st) conjucnt ASC.
Saturn In Libra at the exact degree of my IC (17º Libra)
Neptune conjucnt my Desc.

These are which most rined true for me:

IPlanets conjunct the Ascendant symbolize a social ease, openness, candidness, straightforwardness – a way of laying all one’s cards on the table that cuts across the usual formalities and rituals which society imposes on casual relationships. These people have nothing to hide or apologize for, and nothing to fear or be ashamed of. They feel no need to ward other people off through such defenses as pride, irritation, brusqueness, preoccupation, etc. They are soft-spoken, yet firm and unyielding.
[ DELETED rest of excerpt because it was over 100 words.]

And here the definitions for the planets angular in my chart:

Moon/ASC – Tender – You are soft, gentle, innocent, and easily moved (wounded). You show your feelings quite openly – you wear your heart on your sleeve – which makes you a sympathetic listener on the one hand, and outspoken and tart on the other.

Ruler ASC conjunct ASC – Self-possessed – You are straightforward and direct, and mince no words (tactless). You are able to be yourself – natural and at ease – in any surroundings. You are proud, stately, and never compromise your dignity.

Neptune/DESC – Aloof – You are genial and pleasant, but keep your own counsel (uncommunicative). You are neither selfish nor reclusive, but rather trust completely in your own instincts, and thus have little need for the reassurance of others.

Saturn/IC – Modest – You are plain, unvarnished, and unpretentious (undiplomatic). You are neither timid nor shy, but rather are unobtrusive. You hide nothing, defend nothing, and keep your distance by being wide-open and nonjudgmental.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynns

I like this! It is new to me, and I like discovering new stuff everyday.
I have to say it fits very well, pretty much!

Utopian – You dedicate your life to a cause or belief system, and measure your progress against some abstract standard of morality and comportment, rather than in terms of social rewards (superiority). Where most people are intent upon the path beneath their feet, you are always looking beyond the horizon towards an ideal reality.

(The above description is so true, I really like the idealised and not what is at present. But the ideals are reality, since reality is ased on proected thought)

Dignified – You have a strong sense of being anyone’s equal (broody). You permit no trespass upon your private space, and you endeavor not to depend too much upon others. You are at your best when working by and for yourself.

(Oh yes, I'm a loner, and I really like being by myself. I used to be bothered by this, but not anymore. I don't like my private space invaded, and I like solitary work)

Retiring – You follow the dictates of your own heart rather than worry about living up to some self-image. Albeit outwardly sociable, this is just a mask you wear to fulfill other people’s expectations so that they’ll leave you alone (unmannerly). You lack worldly ambition since your chief desire is for an island of peace unto yourself away from the clamor of the world.

(This sums me up perfectly. I don't like public life. I am retiring, and peace unto myself. I like to go to the mountains, if it were safe there)

This allowed me to understand myself better, and not get irritated over aspects of myself that do not seem to comply with what is expected of me. Thanks :)

Howl

Oh, glad you like it! :) While I am here - how many degrees would eveyone allow for conjunction to an angle? 5, 7, 10?

What I'm wondering is, if I have Nadir at 29' Libra, and Pluto at 26'Libra, would Pluto effectively 'pull' Saturn, at 19'Libra, into conjunction?

then I can also have:

Saturn/IC – Modest – You are plain, unvarnished, and unpretentious (undiplomatic). You are neither timid nor shy, but rather are unobtrusive. You hide nothing, defend nothing, and keep your distance by being wide-open and nonjudgmental.

Last edited:

pwadm

Staff member
It's a great article indeed, very interesting. I like the others as well. Thanks!

The author says that he allows an orb of 6 degrees for the planets' conjunction with an angle. (I don't think that "pulling another planet" into conjunction is correct, though).

I have a lot of things kind of hovering around the Asc and Dsc but I have under the 6-degree orb Asc conj Jupiter and BML and Dsc conj Moon and Pluto.

I was asking on another post what Dsc conj pluto means which was answered by Tim (thanks!) and thankfully also this post very interesting post with article came up.

Here are the descriptions:

Moon/DESC – Fervent – You are lively, voluble, and vehement (touchy). You possess an intense energy and sparkle which dazzles other people, and inclines them to accede to your wishes.

Jupiter/ASC – Understanding – You are hopeful and altruistic (know-it-all). You prefer harmony and coexistence with other people, and take pains to respect their feelings and give them their due. You are not so much compassionate or sympathetic as humane, with a feeling of detached good will towards men.

Pluto/DESC – Cunning – You are outspoken and to the point (sarcastic), and have a gift for seeing clearly through superficial role-playing and posturing. You are able to avoid the snares of other people because you are alert to their covert manipulation, and you are not afraid to call a spade a spade.

I relate to all of them but in particular to Jupiter and Pluto. My natal pluto falls in the 6th house and I feel blessed and cursed that I am able to pick up insincerity in the workplace. The frustration is that when I tell others, they just don't believe me or see it. I also am incredibly blunt too.

I suppose what I am curious about is how the jupiter and pluto opposition play out in my life (as well as pluto opp BML, moon opp jup, moon opp chiron)!

Lunar Pisces

Hmmm....I have 5 planets in angular houses, and I have my MC ruler conjunct my MC.

Moon/DESC – Fervent – You are lively, voluble, and vehement (touchy). You possess an intense energy and sparkle which dazzles other people, and inclines them to accede to your wishes.

Lively? I don't know about that. I'm pretty retiring, although I have a lively inner life, even if I don't express that readily. I'm not very persausive either, so I don't get people to accede to my wishes very often. I am sensitiv enad vehement though - not ot be confused with "touchy feeling" which, despite being a Pisces moon, I am not.

Mercury/MC – Glib – You are unabashed, frank, and cocky (brusque). You are a good talker, offering a wry and perceptive commentary on the passing scene. You have a highly original point of view and slant on life, and are a wellspring of good ideas.

Well, this is largely flattering, and to an extent I'll say it's correct. I am not glib though, in teh sense I'm shallow and mean, although I am frank and a tad arrogant.

Pluto/ASC – Flashy – You come on strong and make a powerful impression, though you have the saving grace of an ironic good-humor (obstinate). You are alert and opportunistic, driven by a high-wire energy.

Granted it's wide conjunction for me, but I do exhibit many tell-tale traits of a Pluto rising. This could describe me easily, although I tend to tone down my "aura" as people are easily put off by my intensity. It's easy for me to make a powerful impression - but it's not as easy for me to make a good one.

Ruler MC conjunct MC – Self-sustaining – You have an unflagging faith in yourself and your ability to succeed (overweening). You are never at a loss, but are able to make the best of whatever situation you find yourself in.

Yes, I would say this is true of me. I have had some pretty big set back and disappointments that did throw me to the mat, but I'm very resilient.

I also have Sun in the 10th, although it's not as close to my MC as my Merc.

Sun/MC – Utopian – You dedicate your life to a cause or belief system, and measure your progress against some abstract standard of morality and comportment, rather than in terms of social rewards (superiority). Where most people are intent upon the path beneath their feet, you are always looking beyond the horizon towards an ideal reality.

This is very true of me, and I've had problem because of it. People expect me to live by more tangible, mundane standards, and conflicts araise, because I've choosen a path that has an very different goal. It's very hard fo rme to relate to people who just want X, Y and Z out of life, never thinking about what is true, or how they could be a better person, or what is the real purpose of their lives.

I also have Uranus inteh 1st, although it's near the end of the house. However the descrip for Uranus on the ASC fits me very well, and any of my close friends would attest that this is very much how I am:

Uranus/ASC – Eccentric – You are truly an original, with a unique and unusual point of view, and an unabashed indifference to what other people think of you (toughness). Although you have a strong character and let it all hang out, you aren’t pushy but are inclined to give others as much space as you demand for yourself.

Saqua

It seems that having "masculine" and "positive" planets (Jupiter, Mars, Sun), on AC, DC, MC is protective of the person in dire situations.

Moon or Venus is probably best "hidden" at the IC. On the other angles these could add charm and inviting softness to the personality but equally inviting of other less friendly forces.

An account of school children shooting and their natal chart
http://www.astrodatabank.com/AS/ASWhoWillSurvive.htm

Worldly success/ recognition: At an angle, specifically around 12th/AC, 3rd/IC, 6th/DC, 11th/MC... AC and MC is strongest.

Mars = sports, successful banker, entrepreneur, military
Jupiter = publishing, showbiz, business, legal, media, politics
Saturn = technology, medical science, banking
Venus = art, music
Moon = writing, music, politics

I have found the above to be true, at least in describing the person's training and potential

Gauqelin's studies of planets on the angle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_effect

Last edited:
Planets conjunct the Ascendant symbolize a social ease, openness, candidness, straightforwardness – a way of laying all one’s cards on the table that cuts across the usual formalities and rituals which society imposes on casual relationships. These people have nothing to hide or apologize for, and nothing to fear or be ashamed of. They feel no need to ward other people off through such defenses as pride, irritation, brusqueness, preoccupation, etc.

Ha ha I had to shorten the quote for reasons of copyright :)rightful:) . My Saturn on Asc is less warm, the planet is out there in front, majorly defensive, barriers, walls, ain't nobody getting past. It depends on the planet that is angular, I have 4 planets on angles, 2 out front and 2 inside.

dreamtimez

http://www.dearbrutus.com/angularity.html

Now you may notice some bias - I suspect it was written by someone with almost all their planets perched on angles :D

If you're interested, have a look at the article (there's a summary chart half way through - I'd post it but I can't figure out how) and let me know what you think.

Accurate? Useful? Do planets on the angles truly "distinguish" you??

Thanks !! great article :smile: and it fits. But does this apply to the planets on the angles or the planets in the angular houses?

Arian Maverick

But does this apply to the planets on the angles or the planets in the angular houses?

The author defines angular planets in this article as "planets located within six degrees of the Ascendant, Descendant, Midheaven, and Nadir," but I imagine the effect would be present in those with many planets in angular houses to a lesser degree.

Or perhaps not--I have natal Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Venus in the first house and natal Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus in the tenth house, and I have no idea what I'm doing! :unsure:

Arian Maverick

unusual_suspect

Ha ha I had to shorten the quote for reasons of copyright :)rightful:) . My Saturn on Asc is less warm, the planet is out there in front, majorly defensive, barriers, walls, ain't nobody getting past. It depends on the planet that is angular, I have 4 planets on angles, 2 out front and 2 inside.

I have Saturn on the asc and I do agree with what is said especially "openness, candidness, straightforwardness – a way of laying all one’s cards on the table that cuts across the usual formalities and rituals which society imposes on casual relationships."

Not exactly warm, but I am actually pretty straight forward and people have to take me as they find me, I don't have time for superficial triteness and fannying about. I do feel as though game playing is below me, but my Saturn is in Leo.

I also have venus conjunct with MC (and Chiron too) and I definitely find this to be true "You are a good facilitator because you have a mischievous, elfin, or saucy quality which seduces the acquiescence of others,"

I have Saturn on the asc and I do agree with what is said especially "openness, candidness, straightforwardness – a way of laying all one’s cards on the table that cuts across the usual formalities and rituals which society imposes on casual relationships."

Not exactly warm, but I am actually pretty straight forward and people have to take me as they find me, I don't have time for superficial triteness and fannying about. I do feel as though game playing is below me, but my Saturn is in Leo.

I also have venus conjunct with MC (and Chiron too) and I definitely find this to be true "You are a good facilitator because you have a mischievous, elfin, or saucy quality which seduces the acquiescence of others,"

That was not my quote that was from the article Howl posted. I am less warm with Saturn in front, a cold front :tongue:. I like to have fun, but first impression of me is serious, and once I loosen up, I am an OK person. I am not a fan of superficiality, my Saturn is in Virgo, and I analyze everything and anything. The reason why I am self conscious is because I do over analyze in social situations, instead of relaxing.

Although my Jupiter in Leo 11th, isn't a stick in the mud like Saturn. I have my bride side and my dull side.

EDIT: I meant bright, not bride. If my boyfriend reads this he will be running very fast now. :biggrin:

lilllybelle

I used to know a lady that had a tight conjunction to each of her four angles. I only remember a few things about her chart, but I do recall that uranus was one of the planets conjuncting an angle. I've never met someone with so much dynamic energy in my life. She absolutely radiated with energy, and she was in her 70s when I knew her. I think having a planet sitting on each of her angles lit her up like a christmas tree.

kaminari

Cool article! I have four planets conjunct the MC/IC axis & it explains a lot about me.

Saturn/IC.. I'm definitely not shy, not these days at least..:w00t: & modest?.. hmm, that's a tough one, maybe I need to learn to be more modest.. non-judgmental, most of the time:innocent:

Moon/MC.. People see me as the "calm in the storm" but I don't see it. However, I am protective & aim for emotional equilibrium but that's impossible, especially concerning unrequited love:crying:

Venus/MC.. I'm a good facilitator (could this also mean matchmaker?). I can't tell you how many friendships & romances I've "created" (unintentionally) in the last few years. Amazing.:love:

Neptune/MC.. Follow my own heart.. Wear the mask of social charm.. Yes, Yes, Yes!! As I get older I really have no ambition at all.. Like the article says, get me away to that island so I can live in peace!!:devil:

Good stuff & thanks!

Damo Mayo

Is it not the case that a planet on your descendant is a likely indicator for what type of person you attract, or what type of partner you will end up with? I have Mars on my descendant (0.7 degree orb) and apparently this means that I am likely to attract threatening, active individuals. I am, by comparison, rather inert and anti-aggressive with a great capacity for avoiding and/or diffusing confrontations. Funnily enough my current partner is very much a Martian and a perfect match for me. He has sun conjunct Mars (which my mother does too, funnily enough) and displays all the qualities of someone with a strong Martian influence in their chart. Lucky me!

Lin

First I have to say that I did NOT read every post above, but am attempting a simple answer to a very complicated question.

In astrology, there are 3 major house groupings...angular, succeedent, cadent.
These are, in the most simple terms, Identity-Personality, Values and Thought.

When one has planets on or surrounding (in the angular house) an angle, the individual is very conscious, or maybe self conscious of the energy there, as those areas of the chart are conscious. Therefore the native can access this energy and utilize it earlier in life, because it is conscious, though it may not thoroughly be understood ( which is very different.)

The exceptions are Pluto, Uranus, Neptune and sometimes Jupiter. However, if Jupiter is aspected to a personal planet natally, and is also angular, it, too, can be conscious as early as age 13. The heavier planets can actually be harder to deal with in early life if they are angular, especially on the 1st or 4th cusp.

BUT either way, whether conscious or not, understood or not, the energy of these planets is very visible to others. Therefore, the person has, what has become known as "personal power."
LIN

Valis

Worldly success/ recognition: At an angle, specifically around 12th/AC, 3rd/IC, 6th/DC, 11th/MC... AC and MC is strongest.

Mars = sports, successful banker, entrepreneur, military
Jupiter = publishing, showbiz, business, legal, media, politics
Saturn = technology, medical science, banking
Venus = art, music
Moon = writing, music, politics

I have found the above to be true, at least in describing the person's training and potential

Gauqelin's studies of planets on the angle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_effect

That's so funny! My husband is a musician and has 12th house cancer moon conjunct his AC... his lyrics are political :wink:

My uranus MC conjunction is a tad too wide with the 10 degree orb to fit the rules... but who cares! :bandit: This fits me to a T.

Uranus/MC – Free-spirited – You are idealistic and visionary, and recognize no authority but your own (contumacious). You are perceptive and intellectually quick. You prefer to strike out on your own rather than conform to society’s expectations of you.

I have a public role as a "rebel" professionally. I have my own rules.:rightful:
Come hell or high water when I know I'm right no one can throw their weight around to sway me.
This is the quality in my personality I'm most proud of because of being able to take a stand fearlessly when the fight is worth fighting.
...but of course there's a downside:
A long line of frustrated teachers can vouch for the recognizing no authority but my own.
:innocent: