Masculine and feminine in astrology

JUPITERASC

There's a blue and red Yin and Yang symbol

as well as a black and white.

Interesting that combining those two colors

results in purple, the color of rulership in some cutures.

Red-vs-Blue-Cover.png

CapAquaPis

Aquarius is the least masculine of the "male" energy or spirit in the zodiac, and Scorpio the least feminine in terms of "female" energy or spirit. This has to do with the planet Uranus, the modern ruler of Aquarius and theorized to influence Scorpio according to some astrologers. Uranus is what I call a genderfluid/-flux /-queer planet in modern astrology to represent one with mixed/ dual genders.

david starling

My earnest contention is that the Domicle-ruler of :aquarius:, :uranus:, is both feminine and yang, as well as the goddess of the Heavens and Muse of astrology. NOT a deposed, neutered, victim of patricide with a modern, made-up name not used by either the Greeks (Ouranos) or Romans (Caelus).

URANIA is Domicile-ruler of the Age of Aquarius. It's not the piddling asteroid so-named--it's the large Planet outside the orbit of Saturn, incorrectly named by male-chauvinist astronomers, which is currently transiting tropical Taurus. Her ancient Egyptian equivalent was Nuit, their goddess of the Heavens.

Last edited:

david starling

Genderfluidity is best described astrologically as a combination of the two innermost Planets, Greco-Roman Hermes/Mercury and Aphrodite/Venus. Using the Greek names, the combined form is "hermaphrodite" which describes genderfluidity in both plants and animals.

Gemini888

Genderfluidity is best described astrologically as a combination of the two innermost Planets, Greco-Roman Hermes/Mercury and Aphrodite/Venus. Using the Greek names, the combined form is "hermaphrodite" which describes genderfluidity in both plants and animals.
Said by someone with a high concentration of Aqua and Pisces :wink:

CapAquaPis

Said by someone with a high concentration of Aqua and Pisces :wink:

How about 26-29' Aquarius and 0-3' Pisces people? Going by the sun sign here: my birthdate is Feb 15, 1980 with the sun and moon conjunction (Total Solar eclipse follows the following day). My Mom's moon sign is 29' Aqua to 1' Pis if she was born on 11:00-40PM Pacific time on April 29, 1951 under a Taurus sun. I happen to be genderfluid and still, a hetero bio-male. My Mom claims to have a "Male" mindset while she identifies as a hetero woman, it's still difficult to be both an Aquarian and Piscean at the same time going by a sun or moon sign/s.

david starling

How about 26-29' Aquarius and 0-3' Pisces people? Going by the sun sign here: my birthdate is Feb 15, 1980 with the sun and moon conjunction (Total Solar eclipse follows the following day). My Mom's moon sign is 29' Aqua to 1' Pis if she was born on 11:00-40PM Pacific time on April 29, 1951 under a Taurus sun. I happen to be genderfluid and still, a hetero bio-male. My Mom claims to have a "Male" mindset while she identifies as a hetero woman, it's still difficult to be both an Aquarian and Piscean at the same time going by a sun or moon sign/s.

I have Mercury in Pisces and Venus in Aquarius. Both Mercury and Venus have dual, yin/yang natures, moreso than the other indicators, because they're inside of Earth's heliocentric orbit and appear as both "morning and evening stars".
If you're a hetero, biological male, how does genderfluidity come into play?

Gemini888

I have Aries Moon conj Asc. Moon and Aries do carry a lot of ying/yang tension. And yeah, I sometimes feel like my gender is fluid.

david starling

I have Aries Moon conj Asc. Moon and Aries do carry a lot of ying/yang tension. And yeah, I sometimes feel like my gender is fluid.

Even the Moon, which is so decidedly feminine in the Greco-Roman pantheon, is genderfluid; as evidenced by the fact that the Sumero-Babylonians considered it masculine.

david starling

:surprised::surprised: So does Aries Moon put more weight to the masculine side of Moon?

There's a strong tendency to confuse yang for masculine and yin for feminine. Moon in Aries is yang, meaning assertive. In contrast, Moon in Pisces is yin.
In 12/12, Moon in Aries is a Facilitating influence. It's good for teaching and inspiring creative solutions. In our culture, assertive women are often accused of acting like men because of the aforementioned confusion.

wilsontc

Staff member
assertive vs. receptive, to Chrysalis

Chrysalis,

You said:
I thought the male/female signs were just quite simply the Active/passive signs, males being the Active, or as in introvert/extrovert.

This is correct. Another way to think of it is the active signs are the assertive signs and the passive signs are the receptive signs. The active signs MAKE things happen while the passive signs REACT to what's happened. Similarly when signs are classified as Yang (assertive) and Yin (receptive).

Signing off,

Tim

waybread

Re: assertive vs. receptive, to Chrysalis

One thing that muddies the traditional masculine/feminine sign distinction, where water and earth signs are feminine and air and fire signs are masculine, is that we have water sign Scorpio ruled by Mars, air sign Libra ruled by Venus, earth sign Taurus called a bull, and Mercury as having hermaphroditic qualities.

So far as I know, yin and yang are concepts developed in East Asian thought. They have astrology (Chinese, Tibetan) but it is very different from western astrology. I'm unclear as to how well yin and yang transfer to western astrology. Our system is essentially based upon the Aristotelian qualities of hot, cold, wet, and dry. Dryness and cold are seen as separating and inimical to life. Moisture and warmth are seen as bringing things together and promoting life. In this system masculine Jupiter is seen as warm and moist.

Opal

Premium Member
Venus in ancient myth was a masculine entity. Now we see her as feminine, but apparently.....she is gender fluid?

In my watching people, I have noticed, that women born in Sun feminine signs and men born in Sun masculine signs seem to be decidedly more naturally feminine or masculine. I am Libra Sun, although I am rather feminine when I choose, my occupation and usual day attire are definitely masculine.

I realize this is a vague sun sign observation.

david starling

One thing that muddies the traditional masculine/feminine sign distinction, where water and earth signs are feminine and air and fire signs are masculine, is that we have water sign Scorpio ruled by Mars, air sign Libra ruled by Venus, earth sign Taurus called a bull, and Mercury as having hermaphroditic qualities.

So far as I know, yin and yang are concepts developed in East Asian thought. They have astrology (Chinese, Tibetan) but it is very different from western astrology. I'm unclear as to how well yin and yang transfer to western astrology. Our system is essentially based upon the Aristotelian qualities of hot, cold, wet, and dry. Dryness and cold are seen as separating and inimical to life. Moisture and warmth are seen as bringing things together and promoting life. In this system masculine Jupiter is seen as warm and moist.

Assertive and Receptive might be a better way of describing the differences. Point taken--no need to bring in Eastern philosophy, even though it is such a good fit. A man can be be more receptive than a woman, and a woman can be be more assertive than a man. Divided into the Babylonian six-divisional system, each zodiacal segment contains an Assertive and a Receptive Sign. Aries/Taurus, for example, and Aquarius/Pisces. In most cultures, assertive men are considered normal, whereas an assertive woman is considered to be "acting like a man", and "not knowing her place". Receptive men are considered to be "wimps" and described as being "in touch with their inner feminine nature". :biggrin:

Last edited:

david starling

Venus in ancient myth was a masculine entity. Now we see her as feminine, but apparently.....she is gender fluid?

In my watching people, I have noticed, that women born in Sun feminine signs and men born in Sun masculine signs seem to be decidedly more naturally feminine or masculine. I am Libra Sun, although I am rather feminine when I choose, my occupation and usual day attire are definitely masculine.

I realize this is a vague sun sign observation.

The Sumero-Babylonians originally called her Queen of the Heavens, Inanna/Ishtar.
The Romans did consider Morning-star (planet Venus) as the male god Lucifer, meaning Light-bringer. This was an appellation of Jesus in the NT.
It wasn't until Milton's Paradise Lost that Lucifer became associated with Satan, who was already associated with Saturn, the Greater Malefic.
I would say Venus has a decidedly dual nature, both feminine, but one is Receptive, the other is Assertive.
So, no miniskirt when you're climbing ladders or up on a roof? :whistling:

Last edited:

david starling

Saturn, physically speaking, not metaphorically, is wetter than Jupiter. Cold, yes. But not dry.

OuterPlanets89

There are so many variables that go into categorizing the signs, and as it's been mentioned in this thread, the definitions of "feminine" and "masculine" are subjective. I do like assertive/receptive more as a binary, but I think there are many aspects of signs/elements/modalities that people don't focus on.

Water and Air are more likely to dive into something -- whether it's their feelings (Water) or ideas (Air), whereas Fire and Earth are more likely to act -- on instinct (Fire) or practicality (Earth). The first two are more conceptual, the latter two are more based in reality (in a vacuum).

The first 3 signs are all in in modalities that their elements are comfortable in:

- Fire is most Cardinal (Aries)
- Earth is the most Fixed (Taurus)
- Air is the most Mutable (Gemini)

This makes these 3 the most extreme of their elements/modalities, and often times, the least self-aware. The rest of the signs are more complex in how they operate, and what they represent in the cycle. Water is interesting as an element because it doesn't necessarily fit any of the modalities perfectly, but it can also operate semi-well in each.

Then you have the self-signs (first 4), other-based signs (next 4) and collective-based signs (last 4). And you obviously have to take into account the function of each season and the ruling planets as well.