For those who have relocated...

socrates

Take your birth time (GMT) and cast a chart for the same time (GMT) for your new (proposed) location. You keep the time, change the place.

Thus all planets hold their original positions, but the house structure changes.

Standard time for Melbourne is GMT +10h; for New York it is GMT -5h. So "birth" at New York offsets the house structure by 15 hours, besides the latitudinal difference.

Example: Suppose your time of birth, expressed in GMT, is 27 April 1988 at 1722. For New York the EST (clock time) would be 1222. Cast the chart for New York for that clock time. A GMT of 27 April 1988 at 1722 would be a given time of 28 April 1988 at 0322, Eastern Australia Standard Time, because Melbourne is GMT plus 10 hours. Watch out for Daylight times. You may need to correct for them, or maybe not -- depending on how the software works and what sort of time was in use at the two locations.

he mustnt use GMT but the time of the new place. When i relocate to berlin using gmt and my time of birth i get 15 gemini rising,but when i use the real time in Berlin,which was one hour more,i get 1 cancer.Thats the correct way

Arena

This is indeed an interesting subject and would be great to do charts for where I've lived if I just had made sure what is the right ASC sign for my natal chart. :)

But thanks for the info and yet another area of astrology where there is no common understanding or compatibility :) one uses this method and another uses another one and they both think it is the right way :w00t: :biggrin:

Both methods mentioned here seem to be plausible to me... both are "AS IF" methods because both methods are relocating you.

If you use the same hour as in your natal (do not correct to the locational time) then you are pretending "AS IF" you were born in another location at this same clock time, so in a different solar hour - therefore this is both a relocation chart and a new timing for birth, so you are changing two factors in your chart.

I you use a new location and correct to the same GMT time as when you were actually born, so using the same solar hour for birth you are also making an "AS IF" chart because you are saying that you were born at this same solar hour, but in a different place on earth, therefore moving houses and planets placements by that. This change one factor of the chart.

Does anyone in here know how it was done in the olden days? Or did they maybe not use this method in the olden days?

Last edited: