North Node Ascendant

Just a question on the North Node. If the North Node in sign means the qualities you have to learn this lifetime. What is the meaning of the North Node in your Ascendant sign. Would you not already have these qualities, or is it more of a meaning of developing them more for your self development.

What is the true meaning of the Ascendant because I have always taken it to mean the qualities we are positively carrying with us to help us along our journey this lifetime.

I am asking this because I have North Node in Virgo my Ascendant, I know I possess a lot of Virgo because I am very self critical of myself, I analyze everything I do and I can't bear to make mistakes (maybe this has a stronger influence because of my Sun-Saturn). But my North Node here is saying I need to develop these qualities.

Or does it mean because my South Node is in Pisces 7th I have do develop a detachment and focus more on myself while balancing my sympathetic side for others.

Howl also has her North Node in her Cancer Ascendant so would she need to develop her nurturing side for herself and balance an overemphasis on others. Because she has a Gemini Moon she finds it difficult expressing her emotions, she likes to talk about emotions, and with her South Node Capricorn this also emphasizes difficulty expressing emotions.

What is confusing me is the North Node being in Ascendant, should we not already possess a lot of Cancer qualities and Virgo qualities.

I know this is a really confusing question. Hope you can understand what I am asking here.

Shining Ray

mathur_dinesh

One way to look at it is to see the place where Mercury (owner of Virgo) in your chart is placed. The North Node would relate the ascendant (self) with that house. For example, if Mercury were in the IX house, the individual would be very keen on journeys abroad since (i) North Node represents journeys abroad, and (ii) the IX house also, among other things, represents the same.

Thanks Martha

I guess with my Ruler of the Ascendant Virgo being Mercury in Pisces 7th House. Relationships, dealings with other's and one-to-one relationships. Will all be a major factor in my life.

Shining Ray

sam

I was reading about this on another forum a while back and the idea of the lunar nodes representing past lives is actually only a recent idea, so depending on how you look at the nodes, it might be less confusing assigning a different meaning to them. I can't recall exactly what they meant prior to the 20th century (perhaps someone here knows).

Interesting and difficult Q.

I think you project Virgo because Vir is your ASC, so you have the ability to project the qualities of Virgo. I think what the NN in the 1st house is about is that if you are able to develop these characteristics past just simply projecting them, then you have learnt your life lesson. Also being in the 1st house might indicate that you have to focus on yourself and maybe a need to study/analyse (virgo) oneself (NN).

I think SN in the 7th and in pisces means you have achieved the qualities of being unified with another and that you are able to transcend the mundane world through a relationship. You will tend to slip into this comfort zone (SN) when maybe things go wrong.

The ruler of the NN is Mercury and it is in your 7th/pisces. Which maybe indicates that you should be examining yourself through your relationships/partnerships with others, ie study what you know to learn something about yourself.

Also mercury sits so close to the 8th house so some people might actually interpret that as the 8th. We know 8th is about investigation/penetration etc, so mercury could have impact in your life that way. Your 8th house cusp is also on pisces so that should give you the ability to cut through it. The 8th house cusp also contains aries as well - self.

Your Nep, which is DC ruler sits in the 4th so maybe you get your partnership abilities/aspects from home. It also squares mercury, so maybe there is a conflict with yourself and home life and you might have untangle all this to satisfy NN needs.

Hope that helps

Thanks 23,

That was a really good answer, so I need to develop these qualities myself and examine myself. The North Node here is just emphasizing this. Plus adding how I need to examine my relationships to learn about myself. It all made complete sense. I always get confused with this polarity between my first and seventh. With the square between my chart ruler and ruler of my seventh Neptune in 4th would show my home life needs resolving. The conflict between the two.

Your a natural at astrology, I have never been able to come up with an anwer you like you have given.

Shining Ray :)

Hey 23 I love how you described the North Node in Asendent especially this part.
I think with the North Node in the 1st means - if you are able to develop these characteristics past just simply projecting them, then you have learnt your life lesson.

It explained it really clearly instead of projecting Virgo I really need to develop these skills within myself. It was a really good answer thanks again :)

Shining Ray

Well I suppose also that I should add that developing Virgoan characteristics in your life isn't just thinking like a virgo and being stereotypically critical but could relate to more mundane aspects of your life such as being tidy, taking care of your health, watching your money, being practical. Those are simple of ways of doing it. Not saying that you aren't any of those things (hope you don't take offence to what I say), but could you see any way of instilling these regimes in your life?

Hi 23

Sorry I am late replying to you, but yes you are right I neglect my health and I am working on being more tidy and learning how to handle money. I don't take offence to what you have said because It is true.

I have found some more interpretation on the nodes being in the same signs as the Ascendant/Descendant I thought I would add it here as it may be of interest to others who have the same placement of the Nodes too.
Having the Nodes closely connected to, and in the same signs as the Ascendant - Descendant axis means that the lessons of the Nodes are very closely tied to the individuals one-to-one relationships and approach to the world. The issue of perspective remains an important one: It's difficult to separate the lessons of the Nodes from ones basic approach to life - however, it does simplify things somewhat, as the lessons and gifts of the Nodes are likely to present themselves in rather obvious ways.

Shining Ray

Howl

North Node Cancer 1H, South Node Cappie 7H Reporting:

Recently I've been having an astrological identity crisis. I don't know how Cancerian I am, for a start. Feels like I used to have a clearer grasp on what "I" was, and could have answered if you'd asked me. Now I am finding that it's all in there together, and I can't simplify, catgorise or assign. It's probably a good thing to lose grip of your chart, I'll get to find it again in a different way, I'm sure :)

One thing that I have been wondering is: how Capricornian am I, really? South Node is supposed to describe, as has been discussed here, a quality you have previously mastered, a safety zone of familiarity, a quality that you come born with. Yet mine, like yours Ray, is in the 7H, a house where you can tend to "project" onto other people, to actually disown qualities. So, mine could suggest that I have somehow "mastered" achievement and structure in the material sense through partnership with others. But how can you have mastered something in a house where you tend to project? Might I not project Capricorn qualities onto others, so much, because my south node is here? Have I claimed my descendant sign for myself??

You could read a 7H South Node as "too easily" depending on relationships other people. For you, Ray, it would be depending on them for piscean dissolution of strict personal (virgo 1H) boundaries. For me, it would be depending on them to provide the structures (Cappie 7H) to allow for expression of my own personal emotions (Cancer 1H). But I don't see it.

I don't see my relying much on other people in a Capricornian way at all, apart from my parents, and that was to be expected :). Sure I am attracted to people with Earth Suns, but I am actually serially unattached, have been for years. I mean, look at me, over the other side of the country by myself here. No one to depend on but me.

I think what I am saying is that I can understand North Node in Cancer 1H. I can see how I can develop the clearest qualities of Cancer, and how experience has provided me with the stimulus to do this. I can even understand South Node in Capricorn. I have the drive for achievement. What I don't understand is South Node in the 7H. I can't clearly see myself seeking security through partner relationships. The only way that I can think of is through friends, but they aren't Capricorn type relationships.

Bah. Any suggestions as to how a 7H Cappie South Node could play out? I am soon to be 25, and it sure doesn't look like I am about to marry a wealthy, upperclass older man :p ain't no golddigger here!

Last edited:

Howl

Hangon, something has just occurred to me. Could it be that I, myself, find security through approaching close relationships in a cautious, practical and discriminating way? Perhaps the security is not in the partner, but more in the way that I approach partnership. Hmm. Is that why I am comfortable over here all by myself? If there are no close relationships that have yet proven worthy, then I prefer to have none?

South Node in 7H still doesn't tie in with that, it makes it sound like I would "fall back" onto relying on other people. The node is disposited by Saturn in Libra, which again links in to the idea of needing relationships for security. Saturn is in the 3H (the mind and communication) conjunct Pluto. I need intense, deeply communicative close relationships that satisfy my Capricornian (quality control!) requirements in order to feel secure?

Why aren't I more relationship dependant ?! Seems the nodal signs are more signifiant than their house placement? Or is it that I "fall back" onto being a hermit in interpersonal relationships to feel secure? :)

Also, Saturn and Pluto in Libra sqaure my 1H/7H nodal axis. Does that say anything to you?

Last edited:
Hi Howl,

I will try to give you another perspective on this later when I have more time. I have been reading up a bit more on the Ascendant and Nodes. I have a book which describes your Nodes in signs combined with the house placements. I will type it up later for you, but I think your on the right track about projecting your South Node/Capricorn I am sure it mentions something in the book about this.

Till Later,

Shining Ray

P.S When I first looked at the Nodes I never realised how different it might be with the Nodes being on the Asc/Descendant.

Howl

Thanks Ray, you're my astrological hero :) I haven't bought any astrology books yet. Still in denial that I am clearly some kind of astrologer, it keeps on sucking me back in!

I have just read a little on your Nodes and you are a right clever clogs :D You can project Capricorn and your South Node gifts. I will type the full explanation up later. Your getting too good at Astrology Howl I will get jealous.:p I needed a book to tell me the answer.:rolleyes:

Shining Ray

Last edited:

Howl

I have one more question to throw in!! Cancer North Nodes:

The NNode signifies an area of growth, challenge, learning, yet Cancer NNodes have their node disposited by the Moon, which is seen as a signifier of habitual, instinctive reactions founded in the need for security. So Cancer NNodes have their NNode associated with a planet that is security seeking. Actually, they have EACH node associated with a security seeking planet; one security through structure (saturn) and the other security through familiarity (moon).

Interestingly, the moon is also thought to represent qualities one has instinctually learned from childhood. What do you think it means to have these security seeking, instincual qualities attached to the NNode? The "challenge" of NNode seems confusing when associated with a personal security planet??