Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Welcome! > Recommendations

Recommendations Looking for advice and suggestions on books, websites, programs, professionals, organizations, or anything else related to astrology? Ask and share your opinions here.

Unread 09-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Question for the pros: legal issues

This one is for all of you who practice astrology for pay, or previously have. Did you ever get sued, or threatened with a lawsuit, by a client? Do you (or did you) have clients sign a contract?

I just had a friend tell me I absolutely must protect myself in every possible way if I'm in business. Have clients sign a contract, spell everything out. Where she's coming from is, she and her husband used to have a business, and they got sued by a disgruntled client. They won, because they had everything documented, including a signed contract from the client for every step of the way. It was a computer repair business, though, not astrology... seems to me there's a lot more to sue over in computer repair.

She also said that a friend of hers, who is an astrologer, got sued by a client and lost, because she (friend's friend) told the client that illness or injury was coming in the near future, and soon after that the client lost a child. Which is not something I would ever do, but... is there a risk?

If you do any kind of paperwork to protect yourself legally, what do you use? And if you don't, have you had any issues?

Private messages welcome if they're either moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I answer those on the forum sometimes, and in my practice always, but not in private messaging.

If you would like to read my blog or inquire about my practice, please visit https://www.thebearsnose.com/

I also answer natal chart-based questions in its Ask the Astrologer feature. Submissions very welcome there!
Unread 09-11-2019, 11:08 PM
Senior Member, Moderator

Re: Question for the pros: legal issues

And if anyone here has any experience in the legal field, as it might relate to an astrology practice, I would also like to know what you think.
Private messages welcome if they're either moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I answer those on the forum sometimes, and in my practice always, but not in private messaging.

If you would like to read my blog or inquire about my practice, please visit https://www.thebearsnose.com/

I also answer natal chart-based questions in its Ask the Astrologer feature. Submissions very welcome there!
Unread 09-11-2019, 11:18 PM

I am in business. Not in the astrological field, but in business. I would agree that you should have a disclaimer at the very least attached to any business you do. My clients and I both sign a contract.

I am not responsible for the actions that people choose to take based on any reading I have given.

Yes, I can see a possible need for covering your bases.
Unread 09-12-2019, 12:51 AM

https://lovinglightastrologer.com/disclaimer/

Here is a disclaimer from the first site I went to.
Unread 09-12-2019, 12:54 AM

https://www.astrology.com/tos.html

This one is more in depth. From what I have been reading, it would differ somewhat according to which state/country you are in, or running your business out of.
Unread 09-12-2019, 03:29 AM

Osamenor, I've never had a professional practice, but I think having clients read and sign a waiver or disclaimer is a good idea.

Suppose someone asked you about a good day to conduct a business transaction, you obliged, and it turned out to be disastrous for them. I would especially suggest this is you do any medical astrology. I think in some jurisdictions (the UK??) astrologers are advised to indicate that a horoscope reading is "for entertainment purposes only."

https://lovinglightastrologer.com/disclaimer/

This is an example of one I found on-line.

On the UK situation:
https://www.skyscript.co.uk/apai_1.html
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 09-12-2019, 05:02 AM

Document, document, document, and where possible, record.

Get a lawyer to owe you for services and keep him on retainer.

Burn lots of candles & incense!

Tags
issues, legal, pros, question