Predicting Death

waybread

Olivia, thanks for your impassioned and insightful reply.

Gosh! My religion--such as it is/isn't, in no way forbids astrology!

I think we are looking at the same history but we differ on whether astrology's glass is half-empty or half-full. Success in death predictions ought not be viewed like a batting average. If an astrologer is wrong with a client, that error is 100% for that individual. The consequences of that error can be serious for the client; and damaging for astrology more generally.

Astrology is not viewed as a highly credible undertaking even under good circumstances by decision-makers and professional people in western society. [Nancy Reagan notwithstanding.] Erroneous death predictions have the potential to further damage astrology's reputation, notably in jurisdictions where astrologers can be denied business licenses, or told that they must advertise their services as "for entertainment purposes only."

My personal strategy in certain situations in life is to consider that when the possibility of something going wrong is small, but the consequences of something going wrong are huge, I need to implement a lot of caution and safeguards. Astrological death predictions are one of these situations.

It would take me a while to retrieve them, but at one point I collected a set of ethics codes published by professional astrological associations. They seem opposed to any practices that would damage astrogers' professional credibility or that might harm vulnerable clients.

To me, an erroneous death prediction has more-than-small chances of going wrong, and fairly serious consequences, if it does, for the "native" in question. Just for example, seriously ill people, or people of a nervous disposition are highly suggestable. Most astrologers have no professional training in dealing with patients in end-of-life circumstances, nor in treating suicidal people. For most astrologers to think that they can actually "help" such people in some fashion is extremely foolish, arrogant, and potentially dangerous.

When my children were babies, I took every precaution against crib-death. I didn't need an astrologer to make me even more concerned than I already was about my babies' well-being.

Astrology surely has a tradition within Judaism, as exemplified by the zodiac floor mosaics in about half a dozen synagogues in Israel, some sects of Jewish mysticism, and the traditional Jewish calender. But astrology in any branches of normative Judaism is not seen as superior to God's power to run the universe to His liking. To the Hellenized Jews who built synagogues incorporating zodiac designs, the mosaics were a symbolic representation of God's ordering of the heavens.

Both professional and amateur scholars have looked at astrological symbolism in the Bible for several centuries. A few years ago, I made a stab at this myself. I think the 12 tribes symbolism plus many additional allusions are there in the pre-Hellenic material, but not necessarily with the commonly-held 12 zodiacal signs; as some of the descriptions of the tribes are poor fits with zodiac constellations. Rather, the state of the heavens during the Mediterranean rainy season was of prime importance to ancient Jews, and they included constellations both on and off the ecliptic.

In terms of whether any available or potential knowledge needs some kind of fruition, I have to disagree with this. Because something can be known, let alone implemented, doesn't mean that it should be. If the US Army could develop better anti-personnel devices for maiming children in Afghanistan, should they do this? If Monsanto can develop "terminator" seeds that would destroy poor farmers' abilities to save and replant their own viable seeds, should Monsanto collect the information and run the lab experiments to do so?

And the "knowledge" of Renaissance astrologers is questionable as knowledge, regardless. Despite the English Civil War, astrological knowledge persisted in continental Europe. Astrology died out in continental European universities by the late 18th century because its truth-claims were in shambles.

[BTW, I spent over 30 years as a university professor, prior to my retirement, so knowledge collection and dissemination were my business.]

waybread

Hi again, Olivia: This thread has been moribund for a while: I can see that I did post links to professional astrological societies' codes of ethics in an old previous post on this thread.

I also just looked up "hyleg" in an encylopedia/dictionary of astrology that I have on hand. The entry focussed extensively on death prediction, noting at least half a dozen different traditional methods for calculation. Well, if these lead to different results, I find this state of affairs highly problematical for any astrologer wanting to enter the "death clock" business.

For me, also, the evidence and logic of mass death situations is compelling. We know that thousands of people die within minutes of one another in natural and cultural disasters like tsunamis, earthquakes, and bombings. Hundreds of people die almost simultaneously in airline crashes where there are no survivors.

Yet the charts of the victims will be widely different from one another, due to their differences in age; and oftentimes, birth location.

Well, if astrological death prediction worked, then an astrologer should be able to get a few hundred charts from a mass death event [probably from jurisdictions where birth times appear on birth certificates] and show, for each victim, how the identical technique worked satisfactorily in each horoscope.

Also, I see nothing wrong in a general way in encouraging the "native" to be extra careful during particular periods. But even a close call is not a death event. Death is one of those things like pregnancy: either one is, or one isn't.

Last edited:

astro09

If death were to be easily predicted, can one imagine how many people would be distraught or deceived by unscrupulous astrologers?

Joe Zaza

My brother was born on October 27th, 1978 at 6:59 AM in Panama City, Panama.

This is his natal:

6d1415dfbf.gif

These are his transits on the day of his passing. I don't know how to change the time, but he passed between 2:25 and 2:40 PM in Moreno Valley, CA:

bb14f51680.gif

Here's his progression chart to his day of passing:

640239d638.gif

...and the natal w/progressions:

8f57bd9c1a.gif

Tell me what you guys think. But please don't tell me something philosophical like how "we can't" or "aren't supposed to" do this. I would like to know the best explanations anyone has to offer. Maverick, professional, or whatever. Please realize that I came here regardless of what that entails. If I wanted a pro, I would have paid for one.

The most simple things I've noticed are:

A) Moon progressed into Scorpio near time of death
B) Sun transiting into progressed second house (opposition to 8th cusp) at time of death

Besides explanations, does anyone want to take a stab at how he died? I'll try to only answer yes or no.

I can't wrap my mind around this... and yes, I'm still grieving. Believe it or not, this helps.

Joe Zaza

Mercury in a water sign ruling 8th house of death suggests fluid in the lungs - drowning?
Gemini = Lungs, right? This is correct. His death did have something to do with fluid in the lungs. Simple enough, right? I don't suppose anyone else would care to extrapolate the circumstances (if at all possible)?

Thanks, Mr stellium.

EDIT: As a side note, I received a PM from aquarius7000 predicting that the cause of death may also have to do with a long term illness. This is also correct. I'm afraid I must go on playing the role of concealer before I go on to reveal the mystery, because there a few more major details that I believe can be gleaned from the charts. No, I can't see them myself, but because these two intimate details were able to be revealed by looking, I'm confident others can find the remaining circumstances.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Joe Zaza

I'm bumping this thread. Still no takers? I got a PM from Bir Singh Khari outlining his theory in Vedic astrology. Interesting stuff, but I'm still working out some kinks with him. I'd like to hear from any and everyone if possible.

Thanks to all that have read.

waybread

I do not think that astrologers have any business making death predictions. Traditional astrologers did a lot of this, and some of them were notoriously wrong. The practice is fraught with potential abuses. It just gives astrology a black eye, in my opinion. Which is not something it needs, given our reputation with most educated people.

Lacell, it is normal, basic biology for you to be afraid of death. Call it the survival instinct. Religion and philosophy developed in part to help people deal with this fear.

Joe Zaza

lacellrein: Were you born 5/7/84 @ 5:46 PM somewhere around Kadena, Japan?

Oh, and do you smoke?

I have to defer to the senior member, because this forum has a hierarchy that was established before I joined and that automatically makes me less than he. =)

The real reason I defer to him is because I DO think gleaning the time of death from a chart is something you shouldn't mess with... at least in an advisory capacity. I have always seen astrology as a tool for self-discovery, and I do believe that even the greatest of advisors cannot but help to fall back to their own charts in times of confusion or disincentive... and I also believe that everyone that ever could has crossed that so-called "moral line" and has "taken a peek" at their own death at one point or another.

Cause is easy... timing is a little trickier. SO many factors influence it... but the rub of course is that no matter how many moving parts, the process IS somewhat mechanical and the parts ARE finite. I, on the other hand, choose to see astrology in a more dynamic context... integrating both my intuitions and personal experiences with the ever growing knowledge I acquire. Robert Hand (author of "Planets in Transit") himself writes in MANY transits that although certain ones of them do indicate a great time of change, that they don't necessarily indicate a sudden, jarring (or unforseeable) change; the changes can indeed and instead be seen as the ultimate result of circumstances that one could feel coming for a long time.

To me, this means that when it's time for you to know, you'll know. Of course, I'd rather be able to see things coming from farther to feign wisdom... but if you think about it, when one is able to see the end from the beginning... and no matter how many people acclaim you for your foresight, you'll also know that it wasn't you that somehow "cultivated" that ability. So where would such an ability come from?

*sigh* ... Believing in the future is, by default, believing in the past... so we all know that things came before us... and that they will always go on. Better to leave that power in the hands with which it belongs!

My best stab at your CAUSE of death is some sort of breathing failure that somehow has to do with your nose or throat. But something tells me that that's just too simple. I might not be a professional, but if I was, I wouldn't have told you squat to begin with! =D So take that for what it's worth.

As for time, it's like I said... who knows?? =) Only you can answer that question. That, I believe, is God's honest truth... and gift to us! O_O

BobZemco

Ask anyone who works in traditional astrology about how accurate computer programmes are when it comes to even calculating a chart's almuten, hyleg, and alcocoden. Sometimes the computer gets it right. I don't know of anybody who doesn't run the calculations by hand to double-check, because about 35% of the time the computer gets it wrong. But even knowing those three things will not tell you when a person is likely to die.

No kidding, and I thought I was the only one having problems. I noticed the software has real difficulties if it is forced to look at the Conjunctional or Preventional Moon.

My current and far from finished research is predicated on the idea that if you live in a country with decent medical care, those hits to the hyleg before it's expired are probably going to be points of critical illness or accident and great peril, but you're not likely to die from them.

That should show up in the chart(s).

If I see something by Primary Direction, I will do Profectional Charts for the Hyleg and Anareta, plus Solunar Charts and a Transit Chart.

You should see consistent symbols. Normally the Hyleg or Anareta will be Below Horizon or in non-Hylegical places in all charts. Lily says (and I'm not sure who he's quoting) that any good aspects by Fortunes will mitigate the circumstances, and I have found that to be true even with squares and oppositions, so long as there is Mutual Reception.

I think the other problem is correctly assessing the Malefics. Mars and Saturn aren't always Malefic. Mars Cadent and Feral, well, that pretty much sums that up, but they can hinder the Anareta or strengthen the Hyleg if they are fortunate.

Anyway, let us know how your research goes, as I've said the same thing about alleged "near-death" experiences (which apparently can only happen in "modern" hospitals).

waybread

Wow, Joe! I'm a "she" not a "he", and being a senior member only means I've posted more than newer members.

There are two issues here: can astrologers accurately predict death? Should astrologers predict death? I say no, on both counts.

Olivia, the traditional astrologers oftentimes got things wrong. Today we point to their triumphs, but back when Ptolemy wrote his Tetrabiblos (I.2) he complained that too few astrologers were properly instructed in their art which is why astrology got a bad rap in Hellenized Egypt; and this lament has been going on to the present day.

Oh, great. I think I'd like a death prediction from someone who messes up.

Or worse yet, from an astrology scam artist. We all know that such people are out there. A few have been banned from this website. Although they didn't dabble in individual Death Clock predictions so far as I know, one of them scared the bejeesuz out of some members with his mundane Impending Doom forecasts, and then offered to read individual horoscopes to tell people how to get through the Bad Times Ahead--charging exorbitant fees that surpassed those charged by today's leading astrologers. This man got outed when he started PMing a member how much money he made and what were his investments. This was the same man who was in the paper for skipping town when his rent scam was discovered.

Catch my drift, everyone? Imagine an emotionally vulnerable ill or elderly person getting a Death Clock prediction, from a con artist. How fast can we say "Clean out her bank account"? Imagine Granny getting a death prediction from a sincere and honest astrologer who nonetheless gets her horribly morbid and fearful--and who goofs on his prediction. We all know about the power of suggestion.

The problem with astrology is that there is no way to prevent Amateur Hour (or "Astrology's Got Talent!") in death prediction. A few months ago some poor guy on this forum was petrified when a "friend" told him his mother might die because of something simply (like transiting Pluto or his progressed moon in Cancer) entering his 8th house. Just try and stop these knuckleheads. It doesn't do to say that newbies shouldn't get into this line of work. What kind of example do the Wise Ones set for them with death predictions on the Internet?

The hyleg figures prominently in Death Clock predictions, and I think there are something like 8 different ways to calculate it, leading to different predictions.

So far as I know, there is no statistical validity to death predictions when large numbers of death charts are analysed. If there were, the life insurance industry and actuarial scientists would be all over it.

And what do you make of mass deaths that happen simultaneously, as when a large airplane crashes? I just cannot imagine that all of their charts pointed to the same valid calculations.

And I do not buy the argument that because we have better health care today than in the Middle Ages, a formerly solid death prediction might today just be a bad scare. The difference between dying and just getting seriously sick is 100%. Dead or Not Dead is not even close. I do think medical astrology has validity: I don't think it says which patient will die and which one will recover.

An astrologer whom I respect greatly says that quincunxes by transit are very visible at the time of the death of a loved one. The problem is, where is the control group here? Anyone who lives to be 90 or so has had huge quincunxes during the course of his life, yet survived them. We don't know whether the quincunxes are more prominent for people when a loved one dies than they are when people have no deaths in their families. Trouble is, the quincunxes aren't all the same planets, either.

The science analogy does not hold up. Despite scientists' gruesome flops, if you are typing your response to me on a computer, if you drive a car, have been helped by modern medicine, or are happy that some endangered species are being saved, thank a scientist. Astrologers cannot point to anything remotely resembling science's demonstrated successes. Moreover, the majority of scientists work within institutional structures (universities, government research labs, professional associations, and even the courts) capable of catching far more egregious problems than can be caught when bad astrologers do their work.

If all astrologers were wise, beneficent, highly experienced, correct most of the time, and so on, then there might be a case for Death Clocks. But we are not.

Death prediction is also utterly fatalistic and deterministic. Is this the type of astrology most of us believe in?

This is why I think it is just better for astrologers not to indulge in predicting death. Of course, it's a free cyber-country. But just because you can does not mean you should.

Olivia, re: God. The Bible (and hence most Christian denominations) condemn/s the kind of prognostication that leads people away from faith in God. Why "draw near to God" (or to cosmic intelligence) if an astrologer can put you on automatic pilot by telling you everything about yourself and what will befall you? To the religious mind, God can do anything, so the accuracy of our predictions is always in jeopardy. To the atheist, you have to consider what kind of astronomy would portray the stars and planets as even remotely involved in your expiry. They aren't. Does not compute.

Last edited:

Skillcoil

I'm sure William Lilly fans would get creepy about my chart, since it has several of Lilly's "violent death indicators". I don't think it's reasonable to base these factors off a few case studies and begin telling people they're going to have a violent death. It's very unethical, and irresponsible. I'll keep it anonymous but I remember when I was told every aspect of my life would be horrible, and on top of that I would have a violent death, it freaked me out.

I was concerned, well my chart has Libra Sun/Mercury in the 8th house and Aquarius Ascendant. I should take better care of my kidneys, watch for poor circulaton, etc. I downloaded a "heart rate" app, it's very helpful. If I read something obnoxious I could just check the app and see my heart rate skyrocket, lol.

Unless there was a serious, absolutely unquestionable method of predicting death, I'd rather leave it alone. And if there was a way to predict death, wouldn't people change their course of action to prevent it from happening in whatever manner it's said to happen? This reminds me of the movie Minority Report, lol. Imagine if it was popular for astrologers who thought they could predict these things to run the world how they saw fit.

Last edited:

waybread

Olivia--please get better soon! And please continue to post in this forum as your health permits.

I enjoy a good debate. Your comments are thoughtful and thought-provoking.

Really, the only thing I am taking exception to on this thread is death prediction. I have no problem with sensitive, thoughtful, good astrologers quietly educating themselves about it. I think practicing Death Clock astrology publicly is a different matter, for the reasons I outlined above. And there are more reasons where those came from.

Predicting someone's manner and time of death is a far more serious matter than telling them where they lost their keys (horary) or analysing their personality. My concern is that should death prediction become normalized in western astrology, we are going to see more problems with it, rather than fewer. The charlatans can take heart if death prediction becomes mainstreamed.

But to those of you who can convincingly predict the manner and time of someone's death, the life insurance companies would love to talk to you. You could make far more money working for them than you can as a consulting astrologer with a private practice.

The accuracy of traditional astrology of the past was probably no better than it is today. One has to ask why astrology disappeared from universities and acceptance more generally by the educated public in the 17th and 18th centuries if its track record were so stellar. (Oops, pun intended.)

If, for the sake of argument, we can accept Cornelius's thesis that astrology is a form of divination, then this might explain why it works for a given astrologer on Day 1 but not on Day 9. Or "85% of the time". I don't think it is the particular techniques that are so crucial; as I have seen good and appaling work by modern, traditional, and Vedic astrologers. If the "real" methodology were so important, I don't think you would see such results. But mulling over astrological data is a kind of mental discipline which prepares the mind of the astrologer to be receptive to the native.

The Gauquelins' work has come under all kinds of criticisms by astrologers and scholars with statistics backgrounds. To the best of my knowledge, today, only the Mars Effect still holds up. That is interesting, but it is hardly a basis on which to suggest that the Gauquelins' research was valid. I once looked at charts of 19th and early 20th century French painters, who presumably were in the Gauquelin sample. I was startled to find that the birth times were nearly all rounded to the nearest hour! This is kind of shocking, for conclusions based so strongly on house cusps and angles.

Credit is certainly due to astrologers of yore for their work in astronomy, mathematics, geography, and philosophy. I acknowledge them for these contributions without thereby thinking that death prediction is either doable or a good idea, either in their time or in ours.

I am all for improving the quality of astrological education except in the matter of death prediction. I think that should just go away.

Astrology is my passion. But I retain a healthy scepticism about its truth-claims.

Skillcoil

I agree, it's scary stuff. But forbidding astrological knowledge on the account that it might be misused? That I cannot agree to.

You are certainly entitled to disagree.

The unethical nature of predicting death is a misuse of astrology in itself. This is my perspective on it, and I've yet to see a possible benefit with the practice of using astrology to predict death.

Claire19

Pluto is the natural ruler of the 8th and in Scorpio. However you have Pluto Mars in good aspect to Jupiter which can indicate a long life
and that you will investigate life and death matters and study the esoteric subjects perhaps, I would not worry about how your death may come about and no ethical astrologer would give you any indications of when. This is something that can only be given a possibility and not a certainty. The 8th house mean a lot more than just passing over.You can inherit or be given gifts and bequests as well.

Claire19

The unethical nature of predicting death is a misuse of astrology in itself. This is my perspective on it, and I've yet to see a possible benefit with the practice of using astrology to predict death.
Totally agree and any professional astrologer worth their salt adheres to the Oath that precludes prediction of personal death or demise.
I never go there no matter how a client may persist.

Claire19

I'm sure William Lilly fans would get creepy about my chart, since it has several of Lilly's "violent death indicators". I don't think it's reasonable to base these factors off a few case studies and begin telling people they're going to have a violent death. It's very unethical, and irresponsible. I'll keep it anonymous but I remember when I was told every aspect of my life would be horrible, and on top of that I would have a violent death, it freaked me out.

I was concerned, well my chart has Libra Sun/Mercury in the 8th house and Aquarius Ascendant. I should take better care of my kidneys, watch for poor circulaton, etc. I downloaded a "heart rate" app, it's very helpful. If I read something obnoxious I could just check the app and see my heart rate skyrocket, lol.

Unless there was a serious, absolutely unquestionable method of predicting death, I'd rather leave it alone. And if there was a way to predict death, wouldn't people change their course of action to prevent it from happening in whatever manner it's said to happen? This reminds me of the movie Minority Report, lol. Imagine if it was popular for astrologers who thought they could predict these things to run the world how they saw fit.
I agree wth your comments and we pass over as we are meant to even if it seems an accident. There are many scenarios that herald demise. Even the easy aspects.. be careful of what others may predict for you. It is reprehensible to be so negative and no decent practitioner would frighten you in that manner.

Skillcoil

Thank you Claire :)

I would like to investigate/study esoteric subjects, maybe as a career path but I haven't figured out what I'll do in terms of that yet, lol. I like the variety of astrological methods that exist, but not trying to predict death. It seems pointless to me.

Last edited: