Strength of Planetary Joys

dr. farr

I'm pretty sure Manilius doesn't list the planetary ruler scheme we know of and instead has one that links the Sun with Gemini, the Moon with Sagittarius, etc, etc.

Actually Manilius makes no reference whatsoever to the planetary rulerships of signs.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
EternalAutumn said:
PS: Don't call me a Morin just because you're air for the article's author.

I'm not. I'm calling you Morin because your triplicity scheme is off philosophically. You're still trying to conflate natural place and the qualities of the elements when they aren't the same concept. I'm also really taken aback by the hypocrisy in this statement. I'm "air for the article's author" while you're wanking your own fan theory, but you're trying to play it off as if there is bias on my part, but not yours? That's not going to fly here.

Ptolemy's triplicity scheme is only different from the Dorothean scheme in two ways 1) there is no participatory ruler 2) Mars rules water both by day and night. This doesn't contradict the natural place scheme.

The issue that Chris is discussing here is that Ptolemy does not relate the signs of the zodiac to the elements because their oppositional pairs go against the Aristotelian elemental qualities, but instead appear to favor the Stoic model.

I'm not sure what the issue here is, because the two ideas are distinct, though related by both being ideas attributed to Aristotle. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
I just love conversations like this. :biggrin:

I started one a while back but then got distracted by trying learn astrology.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52099

Here is my little tiny idea to toss into the mix (and eternalautumn, I am completely familiar with the article you referenced.) Are we not perhaps trying to force a left shoe onto a right foot? Isn't that what happened to the Pterrible Ptolemy in the first place?

Which is older, the joys and exaltations or the Stoic/Aristotelian/Hermetic/Judean/worldphilosphyofthemoment view?

I initially read that article because I wanted to learn more about the joys and so Kai was gracious enough to share it with me...and it turns out that the article is really trying to find a reason for the triplicity rulers.

To really understand where Chris is coming from, it would help to read this other article...

http://www.chrisbrennanastrologer.com/Brennan-Theoretical-Rationale.pdf

What I find to be key here isn't the rationale so much as the ideas of emitting and receiving. If we stop playing rock, paper, scissors around the chart, we need to ask a few more questions. What came first, the signs, or the attributes associated to them? When we decided which planets were nocturnal and which were diurnal by nature, what was the rationale underlying that? Sun, ok, because hello, Sun decides day or night...unlike Moon who seems to want to be anywhere in the sky when she feels like it (often I've pointed to a very pretty Moon in a day sky and said "out of sect.") But at night it is the light of the Moon that decides if you can see where you are going or not. Jupiter in the day? Sure, I guess. Saturn in the day makes tons of sense because Saturn needs all the warmth he can get. Venus by night also makes sense, because this is Venus we are talking about. Venus' nature is to reconcile and unify. Actually, we have very good definitions of the nature of all of the planets.

The Sun’s nature is to select
The Moon’s nature is to gather and include
Mercury’s nature is to contest and to destabilize
Venus’ nature is to reconcile and to unify
Mars’ nature is to sever and to separate
Jupiter’s nature is to confirm and stabilize
Saturn’s nature is to reject and exclude

If most of ancient astrology is based on observations then at night the cooling temperatures allowed dew to collect on grass and objects, bringing together like with unlike.

The only solution I can think of is that one of the male planets is actually a female, but I'm afraid to even talk about it after the poopstorm that was unleashed last time I brought it up.

If the planet you mean is the one I'm thinking of, I'm in total agreement.

And then we have Mars who is Masculine and Nocturnal.

This conflict with Masculine/Nocturnal has caused lots of problems over the centuries.

No kidding. What works better for people in general, Mars in a sign that tempers his nature, or Mars as a masculine planet? Mars may prefer Aries, but I sure don't prefer Aries for Mars.

How can Mars be Exalted in Capricorn and not be an Earth Triplicity Ruler?

Maybe this is why Dorotheus included him as participating trip ruler?

How can Jupiter be exalted in Cancer and not be a Water Triplicity Ruler?

Maybe because the exaltations haven't got a thing to do with triplicity rulers? Because perhaps the exaltations have more to do with something older?

Let's really look at joys and exaltations.

Sun is exalted in Aries, ruled by Mars. Oh, wow, in the Thema Aries is the 10th, the Sun is the king, and the 10th is associated with what? And how exactly does the Sun keep power? Sun joys in 9th (the house of the god) and the 9th in the Thema is Pisces (does anyone else see the correleation here between the sign of the fishes and Christianity?) which is ruled by Jupiter, the greater benefic. Sun falls in the exaltation of Saturn, which again makes sense looking at the Thema, since Saturn is like the antethisis of the Sun.

Moon is exalted in Taurus (an Earth sign, for those watching..why? Because without Moon to counter balance Sun, life on Earth wouldn't even exist.) Taurus represents all the little critters that have ever evolved on Earth (how many times in my journies have I been reminded that Taurus rules animials?) Taurus is ruled by Venus, the divine godess, and Taurus in the Thema is the 11th sign...the one that provides all the resources to support the king. Let's be fey and substitute "king" for most dominant species on the planet....

Moon falls in Scorpio, which is the 5th in the Thema. Oh, wow. That's a prolific sign that rules children. And is ruled by Mars. What exactly is the population of humans on the Earth today?

Mercury (aka Hermes, or even Thoth in older texts) is as already described, an hermaphrodite. He is the only planet exalted in an house that he also rules, and Mercury is also everywhere said to represent the rational mind. He joys in the 1st house of Cancer, which is also represented as the primal, or reactive mind (and I'm pretty sure this is confirmed in traditional texts, since we want Merc, Moon, and the ruler of the 12th for mental illness.) Virgo is the 3rd in the Thema...and the third is the what? Neighbors, cousins, the people you are forced to associate with by tribe, and even in modern astrology..the development of the mind/early education. Why does Mercury get the years of rulership from what? I'm messing it up here, but does Moon get to age 4, and then Mercury after? If we wanted to determine prejudice from a chart, what house would we look to?

Venus Joys in the 5th..and in the Thema, the 5th is Scorpio, which rules among other things reproduction. Further, Venus is exalted in the 9th, Pisces, ruled by Jupiter (the planet of what? Er, pregnancy and childbirth.) Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the Earth. Oh, heck yeah. Just in typing this eploratation I'm wondering about what happened to the dinosaurs. What exactly is the population of humans on planet Earth today?

Mars. Ok, Mars is exalted in Capricorn, ruled by Saturn, but it is an Earth sign. Saturn is a malefic, and Mars is a malefic...why of all the exaltations and joys is one malefic (the nature of Mars is to sever and separate) exalted in the house/sign of another. Mars joys in the 6th according to tradition, which in the Thema means that Mars joys in Sagittarius, a sign of Jupiter. Mars is exalted in the 7th house of open enemies and in what degree? A degree that is classified as masculine, dark, and lame.

I need to go to bed. Because I thought I was replying to one idea, and found another instead.

What if, in addition to the birth of humanity, the Thema contains the seeds of humanity's destruction as well?

E

eternalautumn

I'm not. I'm calling you Morin because your triplicity scheme is off philosophically. You're still trying to conflate natural place and the qualities of the elements when they aren't the same concept. I'm also really taken aback by the hypocrisy in this statement. I'm "air for the article's author" while you're wanking your own fan theory, but you're trying to play it off as if there is bias on my part, but not yours? That's not going to fly here.

I know why you called me Morin, and you're wrong. However I was just trying to make a cute little joke; I apologize if it offended you. What I'm really trying to say is that I can see how Chris, Robert Schmidt, Ben Dykes, and most everyone else back to Dorotheus can "see" the doctrine of natural place in the joy scheme. But consensus doesn't make something true, just easy. I don't think it's the correct philosophical lens. Viewing the joy scheme in this alternative way (which happens to agree with [I'm fairly certain] almost all other symbolism) produces something that is more logical, more beautiful, and uses the same basic method for it's determination. I don't even think natural place and the earth west point/water south point alternative triplicity scheme have to cancel each other out necessarily. It just requires looking at the joy scheme in a different way, which happens to be one that goes against the triplicity scheme that we know and love, which happens to be what the article is trying to connect to the joy scheme. Also, I'm aware of my narcissism and the fact that it flows from a void in my soul filled with self-hatred, so pointing it out isn't very effective in hurting me. I thought the smiley face would help indicate the joke. Perhaps you misunderstood.

Ptolemy's triplicity scheme is only different from the Dorothean scheme in two ways 1) there is no participatory ruler 2) Mars rules water both by day and night. This doesn't contradict the natural place scheme.

The issue that Chris is discussing here is that Ptolemy does not relate the signs of the zodiac to the elements because their oppositional pairs go against the Aristotelian elemental qualities, but instead appear to favor the Stoic model.

I'm not sure what the issue here is, because the two ideas are distinct, though related by both being ideas attributed to Aristotle. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I find his writing style difficult. My other points still stand.

E

eternalautumn

As do I.http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52099

Here is my little tiny idea to toss into the mix (and eternalautumn, I am completely familiar with the article you referenced.) Are we not perhaps trying to force a left shoe onto a right foot? Isn't that what happened to the Pterrible Ptolemy in the first place?

A fair point.

I initially read that article because I wanted to learn more about the joys and so Kai was gracious enough to share it with me...and it turns out that the article is really trying to find a reason for the triplicity rulers.

Do you disagree that the triplicity rulers can be inferred from the joys?

What I find to be key here isn't the rationale so much as the ideas of emitting and receiving. If we stop playing rock, paper, scissors around the chart, we need to ask a few more questions. What came first, the signs, or the attributes associated to them? When we decided which planets were nocturnal and which were diurnal by nature, what was the rationale underlying that? Sun, ok, because hello, Sun decides day or night...unlike Moon who seems to want to be anywhere in the sky when she feels like it (often I've pointed to a very pretty Moon in a day sky and said "out of sect.") But at night it is the light of the Moon that decides if you can see where you are going or not. Jupiter in the day? Sure, I guess. Saturn in the day makes tons of sense because Saturn needs all the warmth he can get. Venus by night also makes sense, because this is Venus we are talking about. Venus' nature is to reconcile and unify. Actually, we have very good definitions of the nature of all of the planets.

I appreciate your perspective but without some sort of philosophical skeleton, how can we have a precise astrology?

If the planet you mean is the one I'm thinking of, I'm in total agreement.

Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine.

I need to go to bed. Because I thought I was replying to one idea, and found another instead.

But isn't that the best?

What if, in addition to the birth of humanity, the Thema contains the seeds of humanity's destruction as well?

Isn't that implied, being the nativity of the world?

I found your entire post quite stimulating. Thanks.

JUPITERASC

I started one a while back but then got distracted by trying learn astrology.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52099
Likewise
Dignity = Comfort Zone

Many older sources use the Family Analogy to describe this Comfort Zone related to Dignity.

An Exalted Planet is like being in its own kingdom, being "da mayor" in your community or neighborhood. Think of the popes (and there were several) who would rape women in broad daylight in front of horrified on-lookers....and no one did anything about it.....that's Exalted, though in a bad way and not a good way.

In business, being Exalted would be like being the president or CEO of a company
Useful analogy
......more often than not the texts themselves are very confusing, in particular because they often use words interchangeably, or they were (mis)translated as such, most notably terms such as "strength" and "power."

Anyway, you have to develop your own procedure or methodology....that would be part of the individual style thing....so long as it's thorough (so you don't over-look anything). To do that, you'll have to evaluate a Planet's condition, and there are several components of a Planet's condition.

One is whether a Planet is Fortunate or Unfortunate. Malefic/Benefic is an internal characteristic of the Planet....you can never change that, but you can modify it through external factors, which is what being Fortunate or Unfortunate is all about
Then an Exalted planet in its own kingdom but Cadent is 'fortunate' due to being Exalted
BUT
- due to being Cadent
is nevertheless 'unfortunate' because modified regarding 'strength' and 'power' aka ability to act

I previously addressed one component of a Planet's condition, and that is whether the Planet is Fortunate or Unfortunate.

Another component is Sect, which tells you how capable a Planet is to perform the task it has been given in the chart.

The Sect doctrine is confusing, and the Sect Ruler doctrine is totally FUBAR, but this is what to look at:

Sun -- is not automatically in-Sect in a Day Chart. Sun is in-Sect only if one of the following conditions is met:

1] Sun in 10th, 11th or 12th Houses = Masculine Quadrant
2] If Sun is not in Quadrant I, then Sun must be in the 7th or 9th Houses, which are in the Feminine Quadrant, but those Houses are Masculine.
3] If Sun is in the 8th House, then Sun must be in a Masculine Sign.
BUT
12th House is Cadent
SO Sun is modified regarding ability to act
so being in a Masculine Quadrant in that case does not exclude Sun from from being 'unfortunate' when Sun is in 12th

2] If Sun is not in Quadrant I, then Sun must be in the 7th or 9th Houses, which are in the Feminine Quadrant, but those Houses are Masculine.
3] If Sun is in the 8th House, then Sun must be in a Masculine Sign.

In order for Sun to be in Hayz, Sun must meet two of the previous conditions.

1] Sun in Quadrant I and in 11th House
2] Sun in Quadrant I and in 10th or 12th Houses and in Masculine Sign
3] Sun in 7th House and Masculine Sign
4] Sun in 9th House and Masculine Sign.

Sun can never be in Hayz in the 8th House.
When Sun is
2] Sun in Quadrant I and in 10th or 12th Houses and in Masculine Sign
and so in Hayz
and therefore 'considered very competent to act'
YET
12th house is 'unfortunate' and modifies ANY planet's ability to act

SO
Sun is not very competent to act when in 12th and in Masculine Sign
yet Sun is in Hayz DESPITE not being very competent to act
A Planet in-Sect is competent to perform the assigned tasks (Wealth, Health, Children, Death, Relationships etc).

A Planet in Hazy is very competent
Yet an In-Sect Sun in 12th in Masculine sign is nevertheless Cadent and so is NOT very competent to act
A Planet not in-Sect is barely competent, and a Planet Out-of-Sect is totally incompetent,
So 'a Planet not in-sect' is a completely different category from 'a Planet Out-of-Sect'
and again that's modified slightly by Degree/Quadrant
Such as Sun in 12th in a masculine sign
An Unfortunate Planet that is Out-of-Sect is like a freaking Greek Tragedy.

A Fortunate Planet Out-of-Sect is like Charlie Chaplin, or Peter Sellars in those Pink Panther films, or Chris Rock in those Jackie Chan films. Or what's the British expression: "It's a fair cop" -- getting the right result the wrong way
So Sun in 12th in Masculine Sign is a Fortunate Planet and In-Sect yet somehow unable to act - the film analogies are excellent - which film is that?
Same is true for Bounds.

I use Egyptian Bounds, but there's a nice paper by one of the Russians on that (not Cornilev the other one)
Albert Timashev
http://astrologer.ru/article/mey.html.en
For all interested in ancient astrological techniques :smile:

THE FOLLOWING IS A QUOTE from an article by Russian Astrologer Albert Timashev, which he wrote in 2000:

"Many fundamental techniques and methods of ancient astrology are generally unknown to modern astrologers because they were lost as a result of a scientific revolution of the 17th century which claimed astrology was a pseudo-science.

One fundamental basis of astrology is the system of terms - the division of the ecliptic into 60 unequal sectors by 5 sectors per each sign of the zodiac - and the major Egyptian years directly following from terms"

SOURCE: http://astrologer.ru/article/mey.html.en

Nevertheless, Timashev deserves credit for having provided important data which shines considerable light on the rationale of the 'original ancient now apparently lost terms'

QUOTE:

“...CONCLUSIONS
Main conclusion that follows from the received reconstruction is the necessity of complete recalculation of system of major years and system of terms individually for each latitude, as the primary system was constructed for Thebes and is applicable with relatively small errors (less than 2 years) in a very narrow range of latitudes - approximately from 22° to 29° of northern latitude only.

This fact completely explains why the Egyptian system of lifetime determination doesn't work at all in the latitudes outside the mentioned interval, including Alexandria - the center of the Greek astrological school....”

“...Other important conclusion is that the ancient Egyptian astrologers used 10 signs zodiac closely connected with system of decans.

The third important conclusion is that the rulers of the signs of the zodiac were only the planets - wandering stars. The Sun and Moon apparently took special place in Egyptian astrology. Probably, the stars and only the stars (wandering and fixed) were considered in charge of the destiny of the men. And Sun and Moon, most likely, were considered as setting the rhythm, measuring the time when things determined by the decree of the stars should happen...”

“...In closing it would be useful to note, that we have found the solution for the first stage of the construction of the system of terms and we have approached to reconstruction of an ancient astrological system only by a half-step.

In the future we have to do a great job on the reconstruction of the rules of determination of the order and length of terms of the planets, and also on the reconstruction of the system of decans....”

BobZemco

I see that I have thoroughly confused everyone. Super. Let me see if I can untangle my mess here.
Then an Exalted planet in its own kingdom but Cadent is 'fortunate' due to being Exalted BUT - due to being Cadent is nevertheless 'unfortunate' because modified regarding 'strength' and 'power' aka ability to act 1] Sun in 10th, 11th or 12th Houses = Masculine Quadrant BUT 12th House is Cadent SO Sun is modified regarding ability to act so being in a Masculine Quadrant in that case does not exclude Sun from from being 'unfortunate' when Sun is in 12th When Sun is 2] Sun in Quadrant I and in 10th or 12th Houses and in Masculine Sign and so in Hayz and therefore 'considered very competent to act' YET 12th house is 'unfortunate' and modifies ANY planet's ability to act SO Sun is not very competent to act when in 12th and in Masculine Sign yet Sun is in Hayz DESPITE not being very competent to act Yet an In-Sect Sun in 12th in Masculine sign is nevertheless Cadent and so is NOT very competent to act So 'a Planet not in-sect' is a completely different category from 'a Planet Out-of-Sect' Such as Sun in 12th in a masculine sign So Sun in 12th in Masculine Sign is a Fortunate Planet and In-Sect yet somehow unable to act - the film analogies are excellent - which film is that?
Let's start with the Houses. Some Houses are Fortunate in and of themselves; some are Unfortunate. The Unfortunate Houses are the 4th, 6th, 8th and 12th (and sometimes the 7th depending on context). The 12th House is in and of itself an Unfortunate House. It signifies Sorrow, Loss/Separation, Disease, extended long distance Travel or living outside your home land (including voluntary or forced exile), Imprisonment and Slavery. Another way of looking at it is the 12th House is Your Very Own Personal Hell & House of Horrors. The 12th House is what traps you, ensnares you, holds you back, imprisons you, makes you a slave, and so on. Because that is true, it holds special meaning when Aquarius is rising, because that makes Capricorn the 12th Sign, and Saturn rules both.....with the implication being that you are the cause of your own sorrows and suffering. When you delineate the 12th House, you look at the Sign, and then find the Ruler, because the location of the Ruler, the aspects it makes, and what the Ruler signifies will tell you what you need to know. Of course, I'm talking about an Aries 12th with Mars in Scorpio, Taurus 12th with Venus in Libra, Virgo 12th with Mercury in Gemini and so on. Obviously, that doesn't apply to Sun/Moon since they only have one Sign each. You can add Exaltation to that as well as Domiciles. What if the 12th Ruler is not domiciled? Then you'll have to look at the Dispositor. Taurus 12th, Venus in Cancer, you'll have to look at Moon. What if you have Planets in the 12th? They'll all have the same Dispositor, but rule different Houses, and that's where you'll have to look. Here's where the correct terminology is so critically important to chart delineation. Planets in the same Sign within a 15° span are Assembled. What does that mean? Dearly beloved, we are assembled here today, to bear witness to the union of Fred Flintstone and Betty Rubble.... People assemble for a common purpose, do they not? So, when Planets are Assembled, they have a common purpose, and that's where the idiotic "stellium" in Modern Astrology totally obfuscates the symbolism. You can have two Planets joined by body (conjunct -- another stupid word that destroys the symbolism) and assembled to a 3rd (or 4th) Planet. All those Planets in the 12th --- assembled or not -- will tell the story of how you built or you little comfy Hell, by looking at Sign Ruler and the Houses those Planets rule. I'm guessing you want to know about your Sun in the 12th..... In addition to all the other things I mentioned, the 12th House also signifies Secret Enemies. Sun -- amongst its significations -- represents authority figures and powerful people, governments, government officials, the father in a Day Chart, husbands and so on. The Sun in the 12th generally indicates powerful Secret Enemies. The Sun's Dispositor --- here Mars since Sun is in Aries --- will indicate tell you the who, what and where of those Secret Enemies, and you may have to weigh that against Mars' Dispositor (if Mars is not domiciled) and the House holding Leo, and whatever Planets are in Leo and the Houses they rule (since Sun is their Dispositor). Yes, it can be over-whelming, so you'll have to develop your style of procedure to sort things out. What is Sun's condition here? Sun is Exalted in Aries. So, is Sun Fortunate? Probably -- barring any other problems like Pitted or Azieme Degrees. What will Fortunate Exalted Sun do? Help protect you from your Secret Enemies. Is Sun competent to handle that task? Sun in 12th House is in a Masculine Quadrant, and therefore Sun is in-Sect and therefore Sun is competent to keep your Secret Enemies at bay. But more than that, in addition to being in-Sect, Sun is in a Masculine Sign, and thus in Hayz, and so Sun is very competent to protect you from Secret Enemies. Now....about this Cadent thing...how does that come into play? That's our Planetary Order and Planetary Speed. Sun can make applying aspects to which Planets? Only Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.... .....but not from the 12th House. Here you have an Exalted Sun that is very competent, and it would be really, really nice if Sun was applying sextile or trine to Mars, Jupiter or Saturn --- because that would really help and benefit those Planets (since Sun is an Accidental Benefic here).... ...but that ain't gonna happen from the 12th House. Cadent House are weak, but the 12th is the weakest....Sun's applying aspects are almost non-existent (in terms of strength and effectiveness). Now if Sun is applying to Rx Mars, Rx Jupiter or Rx Saturn, that might hurt a bit, but not much since Exalted Sun is in it own Triplicity. uh, so what if Venus was in the 12th House? Well, Venus signifies a few things, including women. What kind of women? Depends on the condition of Venus. This might be a good time to mention Lots. When you're having difficulty sorting out Planets in the 12th (or any other House) and their Dispositors, Lots can help clarify things. Of course you want to cast Lots related to the House in question, although it wouldn't be out of line cast Lots to see which ones fall in the 12th (or the House in question). I'll give you another example, is I have Mars in Aries in the 6th. I got into Astrology because I wanted to know why I kept falling out of the sky, and why I was never really seriously injured (although others were and some died) and other things related to military service. Well, that's the answer: Mars in Aries in the 6th where Mars Rejoices. Get it? Someone asked about Saturn and Joys. Planets Rejoice in the Houses they signify. Venus signifies pleasure, and so Venus Joys in the 5th House, because it is the 5th House --- and not the stupid 8th House -- that represents sex, and also the cinema show, theatre, opera, the symphony, all other arts, restaurants, eateries, taverns, nightclubs and any place where people gather together for enjoyment, plus all public venues in general. Saturn is all about restricting, restraining, shackling, sorrow and so the 12th House is Sorrow, Slavery and Imprisonment (among things) and Saturn loves it there. Mars likes to injure people and destroy things....so he Rejoices in the 6th House. Except Mars is in Aries, Nocturnal, Oriental and such, so Mars is Fortunate, and I just ended up getting teased with repeated injuries, but none being serious or life-threatening (in part due to the benefic rays of Sun and Mercury in Gemini in the 8th), and that's mostly military things, machinery, metal things (especially those made of iron). I hope that straightens out the mess.

BobZemco

I have no idea it ended up getting formatted as one gigantic paragraph. Sorry.

I see that I have thoroughly confused everyone. Super.

Let me see if I can untangle my mess here.

Let's start with the Houses.

Some Houses are Fortunate in and of themselves; some are Unfortunate. The Unfortunate Houses are the 4th, 6th, 8th and 12th (and sometimes the 7th depending on context). The 12th House is in and of itself an Unfortunate House. It signifies Sorrow, Loss/Separation, Disease, extended long distance Travel or living outside your home land (including voluntary or forced exile), Imprisonment and Slavery. Another way of looking at it is the 12th House is Your Very Own Personal Hell & House of Horrors. The 12th House is what traps you, ensnares you, holds you back, imprisons you, makes you a slave, and so on.

Because that is true, it holds special meaning when Aquarius is rising, because that makes Capricorn the 12th Sign, and Saturn rules both.....with the implication being that you are the cause of your own sorrows and suffering.

When you delineate the 12th House, you look at the Sign, and then find the Ruler, because the location of the Ruler, the aspects it makes, and what the Ruler signifies will tell you what you need to know. Of course, I'm talking about an Aries 12th with Mars in Scorpio, Taurus 12th with Venus in Libra, Virgo 12th with Mercury in Gemini and so on. Obviously, that doesn't apply to Sun/Moon since they only have one Sign each. You can add Exaltation to that as well as Domiciles.

What if the 12th Ruler is not domiciled? Then you'll have to look at the Dispositor. Taurus 12th, Venus in Cancer, you'll have to look at Moon. What if you have Planets in the 12th? They'll all have the same Dispositor, but rule different Houses, and that's where you'll have to look.

Here's where the correct terminology is so critically important to chart delineation. Planets in the same Sign within a 15° span are Assembled. What does that mean? Dearly beloved, we are assembled here today, to bear witness to the union of Fred Flintstone and Betty Rubble.... People assemble for a common purpose, do they not? So, when Planets are Assembled, they have a common purpose, and that's where the idiotic "stellium" in Modern Astrology totally obfuscates the symbolism. You can have two Planets joined by body (conjunct -- another stupid word that destroys the symbolism) and assembled to a 3rd (or 4th) Planet. All those Planets in the 12th --- assembled or not -- will tell the story of how you built or you little comfy Hell, by looking at Sign Ruler and the Houses those Planets rule.

I'm guessing you want to know about your Sun in the 12th.....

In addition to all the other things I mentioned, the 12th House also signifies Secret Enemies. Sun -- amongst its significations -- represents authority figures and powerful people, governments, government officials, the father in a Day Chart, husbands and so on. The Sun in the 12th generally indicates powerful Secret Enemies.

The Sun's Dispositor --- here Mars since Sun is in Aries --- will indicate tell you the who, what and where of those Secret Enemies, and you may have to weigh that against Mars' Dispositor (if Mars is not domiciled) and the House holding Leo, and whatever Planets are in Leo and the Houses they rule (since Sun is their Dispositor).

Yes, it can be over-whelming, so you'll have to develop your style of procedure to sort things out.

What is Sun's condition here? Sun is Exalted in Aries. So, is Sun Fortunate? Probably -- barring any other problems like Pitted or Azieme Degrees.

What will Fortunate Exalted Sun do? Help protect you from your Secret Enemies.

Is Sun competent to handle that task? Sun in 12th House is in a Masculine Quadrant, and therefore Sun is in-Sect and therefore Sun is competent to keep your Secret Enemies at bay.

But more than that, in addition to being in-Sect, Sun is in a Masculine Sign, and thus in Hayz, and so Sun is very competent to protect you from Secret Enemies.

Now....about this Cadent thing...how does that come into play?

Moon Mercury Venus Sun Mars Jupiter Saturn

That's our Planetary Order and Planetary Speed. Sun can make applying aspects to which Planets? Only Mars, Jupiter and Saturn....

.....but not from the 12th House.

Here you have an Exalted Sun that is very competent, and it would be really, really nice if Sun was applying sextile or trine to Mars, Jupiter or Saturn --- because that would really help and benefit those Planets (since Sun is an Accidental Benefic here)....

...but that ain't gonna happen from the 12th House.

Cadent House are weak, but the 12th is the weakest....Sun's applying aspects are almost non-existent (in terms of strength and effectiveness).

Now if Sun is applying to Rx Mars, Rx Jupiter or Rx Saturn, that might hurt a bit, but not much since Exalted Sun is in it own Triplicity.

uh, so what if Venus was in the 12th House? Well, Venus signifies a few things, including women. What kind of women? Depends on the condition of Venus.

This might be a good time to mention Lots. When you're having difficulty sorting out Planets in the 12th (or any other House) and their Dispositors, Lots can help clarify things.

Of course you want to cast Lots related to the House in question, although it wouldn't be out of line cast Lots to see which ones fall in the 12th (or the House in question).

I'll give you another example, is I have Mars in Aries in the 6th. I got into Astrology because I wanted to know why I kept falling out of the sky, and why I was never really seriously injured (although others were and some died) and other things related to military service.

Well, that's the answer: Mars in Aries in the 6th where Mars Rejoices.

Get it?

Someone asked about Saturn and Joys.

Planets Rejoice in the Houses they signify. Venus signifies pleasure, and so Venus Joys in the 5th House, because it is the 5th House --- and not the stupid 8th House -- that represents sex, and also the cinema show, theatre, opera, the symphony, all other arts, restaurants, eateries, taverns, nightclubs and any place where people gather together for enjoyment, plus all public venues in general.

Saturn is all about restricting, restraining, shackling, sorrow and so the 12th House is Sorrow, Slavery and Imprisonment (among things) and Saturn loves it there.

Mars likes to injure people and destroy things....so he Rejoices in the 6th House. Except Mars is in Aries, Nocturnal, Oriental and such, so Mars is Fortunate, and I just ended up getting teased with repeated injuries, but none being serious or life-threatening (in part due to the benefic rays of Sun and Mercury in Gemini in the 8th), and that's mostly military things, machinery, metal things (especially those made of iron).

I hope that straightens out the mess.

BobZemco

So that's just one of the conditions for the Sun to be in Hayz and my understanding is that in order to qualify for this particular Hayz condition then Sun MUST be in Aries Gemini Leo Libra Sagittarius or Aquarius.

Think about the word "Sect" and its connotations.

A Sect is like a Faction, which is a group of people acting together within a larger group, like a clan, a clique, a cabal, a bloc (like the East Bloc -- a faction, a sect, sub-set of Europe), a band of people, a crew, etc etc etc.

Astrology is based on ordered hierarchies, like charts, and then groups of Planets like the Nocturnal Planets and the Diurnal Planets, the Masculine Planes and the Feminine Planes, the Cold Planets and the Hot Planets, and so on.

So you have two factions: the Diurnal Planets ---the Day Crew, the Day Shift, the Day Bloc, the Day Clan, the Day Shift, and then you have the Nocturnal Planets -- the Night Crew, Night Shift, Night Cabal, Night Bloc, Night Clan and such.

Note that each Faction has a Light: Sun for Day; Moon for Night, and because of that, they have different conditions to meet.

The Planets in each Faction/Sect operate best when they are similarly situated, meaning the Day Planets are Above Earth with the Sun, in Masculine Signs/Houses and too the Night Planets when they are Below Earth in a Day Chart, but Above Earth in a Night Chart and in Feminine Signs/Houses.

Diurnal Planets like to be in Diurnal Signs, which are the same thing as Masculine Signs. Nocturnal Planets like to be in Nocturnal Signs, which is the same thing as Feminine Signs.

If you understand futboll, then a Planet in-Sect is like being in the "B" League. A Planet in Hayz is like being in the "A" League. And if the Planet is in Hayz, and also in a Masculine Quadrant/Degree, it's like the Planet is also on the National Team, competing in the World Cup.

A Planet (or Light) that is not in-Sect is not very competent and being Out-of-Sect makes it totally incompetent.

I noticed that interestingly, the particular condition you highlighted includes two of the Unfortunate Houses, 9th and 12th and of those two 12th is the worst so I'm focusing on that

Hellenistic astrology states that ANY planet located in 12th is hampered because it is 'unfit/unable to carry out its business'.

Since you gave an example using the Sun, I chose a dignified Sun in 12th – in this case Aries, but Leo Sun would do just as well. Aries and Leo are both strong Signs for the Sun and I'm mulling over whether you are saying that a Dignified Aries - or Leo – Sun would be considered to be in Hayz yet located in 12th where it is unable/unfit to act according to Hellenistic astrologers. That's all. I'm mulling over the fact that you are saying that specifically Sun in 12th in ANY masculine sign is in Hayz

I think you might be confusing the concepts.

Sect tells you if a Planet (or Light) has the potential to perform the task(s) given to it in the Native's Chart.

The potential to act, is not the same as acting/performing.

Whether a Planet is Fortunate/Unfortunate will tell you if the Planet will actually perform.

As an analogy, think of you being in Hayz, you're very competent at what you do, be it a web-designer, engineer, chef, hair-dresser.....

....but because you are Unfortunate, you can't find a job, or there are long delays in finding a job (and then perhaps not in your career-field).

Think of the Planet representing Children in a Native's Chart. The Planet is in-Sect or in-Hayz and so competent, and therefore has the potential to produce Children for the Native, but because the Planet is Unfortunate, there are many delays, difficulties, problems in having Children, possibly to the extent that the Native might not ever have Children.

And you could say the same for Wealth, Health, Career, Travel and any other Topics.

I disagree with the Hellenistic concept, but that might be because I don't believe it is stated very clearly.

You have this Exalted in Hayz Sun in the 12th, and it's hampered to the extent that Sun cannot share his gifts with any other Planets, due to the fact that he is in the 12th House.

An Aries Sun in Hayz applying to the trine of Mars, Jupiter or Saturn in Leo would be a beautiful thing, but not from the 12th House....that just isn't going to happen. That trine will be so weak as to be barely noticeable in its effects.

According to Schmidt on Valens I understand that

(a) planets located in ANY Cadent house direct their energies away from the native and towards others instead.

Uh, okay, but that is exactly what you'd want an Exalted in-Hayz Sun in the 12th House to do --- direct its energy at others ---- like your Secret Enemies to keep them at bay and keep them from harming you.

That's no different than Aries Mars Rejoicing in the 6th protecting me from serious injuries.

Let me ask you this: someone with a dignified Planet in-Sect or in Hayz in the 9th, do you think the Native is likely to be involved in Scientology? Or part of a religious or ideological cult (like a terrorist group)?

Not likely.

(b) planets located in ANY Cadent house produce few, if any events and/or are unlikely and/or less likely to produce many/if any events.

I'm just not seeing that at all.

I've done way too many Forensic Charts.

Not only that, but in my own Chart, Venus is in Cancer in the 9th House and very obviously ruling the Libra 12th House...

....can you say "expatriate?"

Sure, I knew you could.

I've spent a good chunk of my adult life living outside of the US -- sometimes involuntarily due to military service; the rest of the time voluntarily -- like a self-imposed exile.

(c) Cadent houses are the 3rd, 5th, 9th and 12th

Therefore any planets located in the 12th (or any other Cadent house) in Hellenistic astrology direct their energies away from the native. When considering the malefics, this is regarded - in a sense - as good for the native.

However, I assume because it seems logical – and this is my understanding in any event - that if the native then somehow causes harm to others in any way, then obviously the native suffers the consequences of their actions. Thus receiving consequences of the action of malefics in 12th or any other Cadent house.

Benefics in 12th (or any other Cadent House) ALSO direct their energies away from the native so this is regarded - in a sense - as not so good for the native.

However, also logically then, my understanding of the issue is that the native may 'do good work for the benefit of others' and thus may receive some 'indirect' reward.

I'm guessing that's a typo and should read "6th" instead of "5th."

I have to categorically reject that.

One of the meanings often over-looked is Masculine/Feminine.

It has a secondary meaning of Active (Masculine) and Passive (Feminine). When you're judging a chart, there are 4 possibilities of Gender with Quadrants, Houses, Signs and Degrees.

A Planet sitting in 3 out of 4 (or all 4) Passive markers is going to be the recipient of action. I see that all the time in homicide charts, where the victim is often Cadent and in square/opposition to a Malefic or the significator of the perpetrator.

On the contrary, when a Planet is sitting in 3 of 4 (or all 4) Active markers (again Quadrant, House, Sign and Degree) that Planet will be the initiator of action, or the Planet that exerts the most action.

And when its middling --- any 2 out of 4 --- then the Planet is both the initiator of action, as well as the recipient of action.

According to Schmidt on Valens

1.) In a diurnal chart you'd want the diurnal planets in the upper hemisphere with the Sun (hayz) as that would be more natural for those planets. The diurnal planets are Sun, Jupiter and Saturn.

That's an excellent example of why we read and compare texts to find how doctrines become corrupted.

The Arabs refer to that as "Halb." That's easy for me to remember, because the German word "halb" is "half." Not to get side-tracked, but I seriously doubt that's a coincidence. For one language or the other, it is a loan-word and it was picked up through trade.

So....a Planet in its "half" is in that half of the chart -- North/South Hemisphere -- where it ought to be with its Sect ---- faction, group, crew etc etc etc.

For the Arabs, a Planet that was in Halb --- in Sect --- was also Hayyiz (in Hayz) when it was in a Sign of its same Gender.

Then the Persians and later Medievals (like Bonatti) added the House conditions, and I accept that for now, but ultimately I'll most likely reject it, because I don't believe Houses confer any power...or take away power.

I believe that to be a concept that was mangled with the re-introduction of House Systems.

In other words, the 12th House has no powers at all, but the 12th Sign does, and due to the fact that the 12th Sign is the 12th Sign, and that it is falling away from the Angle (Cadent) and it is in aversion to the Ascending Sign is what reduces the strength of the 12th Sign, in exactly the same way that the 9th, 3rd and 6th Signs are also falling away from the angles, except that the 9th Sign trines the Ascending Sign and so has some power...the most power of all the Cadent Signs, followed by the 3rd Sign which sextiles the Ascendant giving the Sign -- but not the House -- some power, and then the 6th and 12th Signs which are in aversion and very weak with the 12th Sign being the weakest.

I see the function of House Systems as showing the extent Signs influence a given Topic. That is obvious when you see the 8th House "bleeding over" into the 9th House and encompassing in part the 8th and 9th Signs, which is an indicator of death in a foreign land, or at the hands of a foreigner etc.

If any diurnal planets in a diurnal chart are in the lower hemisphere/below the Ascendant/Descendant axis then although they are in sect, nevertheless they are considered slightly out of sect and more nocturnal in nature (halb)

That makes no sense.

If that's true, then I should be rich beyond the wildest dreams of avarice, because Jupiter rules my Sagittarius 2nd House/Sign.

What's Jupiter's major malfunction?

Direct Jupiter is in Pisces.

Jupiter is harmed by Saturn? Not possible since Aquarius Saturn is in aversion to Jupiter.

Jupiter is harmed by Mars? Again, impossible since Aries Mars is in aversion to Jupiter.

Jupiter is harmed by the trine from Cancer Venus? Yeah, right. No, Venus aids Jupiter.

Jupiter is harmed by the square from Sun? No, Jupiter receives Sun by Triplicity and Face.

Jupiter is harmed by Pisces Moon joining him? No.

Jupiter is in aversion to the 2nd Sign and/or the Ascendant? No, Jupiter trines the Ascendant and squares the 2nd Sign.

The what's the problem, why aren't I sitting on mountains of cash?

Because Jupiter is not in-Sect.

It's a Day Chart and is Jupiter sunning himself at Lloret de Mar on the Costa Brava? No, he's frigging freezing Below Earth.

Not only is Jupiter not in-Sect, but Jupiter is in a Feminine Sign and a Feminine Degree.....the only saving grace here is Jupiter is in a Masculine Quadrant.

Is Jupiter competent to manage my financial affairs? No way.

Jupiter is barely competent...I'll always have money in my pocket and a corrugated tin roof over my head, but nothing more.

HOWEVER

logically mulling over Hellenistic considerations....

Although Jupiter and Saturn can be below the horizon in a day chart and therefore considered more nocturnal in nature (halb) I'm assuming that logically THAT DOES NOT APPLY TO THE SUN BECAUSE THE SUN CANNOT BE BELOW THE HORIZON IN A DAY CHART.... although of course there remain all the whether it's twilight and when is the Sun above or below the horizon exactly conundrums....

I can't really buy into that, because that isn't seen in charts.

As far as the twilight thing, if you can't see Sun on the Horizon, it's a Night Chart.

SO you are saying that Sun in 8th CANNOT be in Hayz irrespective of Sign location - so even a dignified Sun such as Aries or Leo when located in 8th can never be in Hayz.

That would be the long and short of it.

Regarding the in-Sect conditions for the Sun you have said that:

3] If Sun is in the 8th House, then IN ORDER TO BE IN SECT THEN Sun MUST be in a Masculine Sign.

You have said that being in sect is a condition of the Sun being able to perform the task it has been given in the chart.

So, just as a Sun, no matter how dignified may be somewhat limited in performing the task it has been given in the chart because it is located in a Cadent house such as 12th 3rd or 9th YET nevertheless, the Sun is in Hayz when in 12th in a masculine sign

BUT you are saying that IF Sun in 8th is in a Feminine Sign THEN Sun is considered 'out of sect' while nevertheless above the Horizon and in a Day chart. So a Dignified Aries or Leo Sun in 8th above the Horizon in a Day chart is in Sect BUT NOT in Hayz

I get that there are many considerations such as sign and house locations to take into account.

There are several components that determine a Planet's overall condition.

If you want, you can start by determining if a Planet is Fortunate or Unfortunate, because that in part will help you determine if the Planet is inclined to Good, or to Evil.

I don't really care for those terms any more than I care for Benefic/Malefic, but taken in the proper context, it does accurately convey what is taking place.

Benefic = Easy Street
Malefic = Hard Road

A Fortunate Benefic and you'll get to the end of the Rainbow in a chauffeured limousine.

A Fortunate Malefic and you'll still get to the end of the Rainbow, but you'll have to walk....up-hill both ways....in the snow...while raining...and being chased by lions and tigers and bears.

An Unfortunate Benefic and bad things come easy: excess, over-indulgence, hedonism and such.

An Unfortunate Malefic and you get bad things^2 (squared). Your home just doesn't burn down....it burns down, falls over, sinks into a swamp, gets eaten by rats (or I guess swamp rats) and then swallowed by a sink-hole and then a meteor lands and destroys the rest of it, and then you go to jail for not paying property taxes.

And then having made those determinations, you look at the Planet's ability to perform --- its competence --- it's Sect status.

I have a Benefic -- Jupiter --- that is very Fortunate, but then totally incompetent because Jupiter is not in-Sect and not in a Masculine Sign.

Jupiter in my chart is like the Black Adder or Mr. Bean.

Aries Sun in the 12th in that chart is in-Sect in a Masculine Quadrant = Competent --- and then in a Masculine Sign = Very Competent (and if also a Masculine Degree then Highly Competent), to perform the task it has been given, which appears to be protecting the Native from Secret Enemies.

The Sun is Fortunate, and very Competent, but badly placed in the chart, and the only thing that does -- being in the 12th --- is bar Sun from sharing his strength and gifts with other Planets, so just as Sun cannot aid or help any Planet through an aspect, Sun cannot harm any Planet either.

Hope that clears things up.

tsmall

Premium Member
Then the Persians and later Medievals (like Bonatti) added the House conditions, and I accept that for now, but ultimately I'll most likely reject it, because I don't believe Houses confer any power...or take away power.

I believe that to be a concept that was mangled with the re-introduction of House Systems.

In other words, the 12th House has no powers at all, but the 12th Sign does, and due to the fact that the 12th Sign is the 12th Sign, and that it is falling away from the Angle (Cadent) and it is in aversion to the Ascending Sign is what reduces the strength of the 12th Sign, in exactly the same way that the 9th, 3rd and 6th Signs are also falling away from the angles, except that the 9th Sign trines the Ascending Sign and so has some power...the most power of all the Cadent Signs, followed by the 3rd Sign which sextiles the Ascendant giving the Sign -- but not the House -- some power, and then the 6th and 12th Signs which are in aversion and very weak with the 12th Sign being the weakest.

I see the function of House Systems as showing the extent Signs influence a given Topic. That is obvious when you see the 8th House "bleeding over" into the 9th House and encompassing in part the 8th and 9th Signs, which is an indicator of death in a foreign land, or at the hands of a foreigner etc.

What about number of degrees past an angle? This is probably a stupid question, but isn't that where the idea of the house systems came from? A planet more than 5* past up to 30* past an angle is "falling away" from it? And does that harm the planet's ability to function? As in oomph, or energy?

Second stupid question, though it relates to the first...what about a planet (let's say Sun) that is more than 5* above the ASC, but in the ascending sign? For example, Sun in the 3rd degree of Libra :whistling: Sun is in fall and "cadent" but otherwise (masculine sign, degree, quadrant) playing in the World Cup?

I don't want to speak for others, but for myself I find that it isn't always easy, even though I completely understand your post about sect, joys, fortunate, unfortunate, what have you. Things like this...

Think of the Planet representing Children in a Native's Chart. The Planet is in-Sect or in-Hayz and so competent, and therefore has the potential to produce Children for the Native, but because the Planet is Unfortunate, there are many delays, difficulties, problems in having Children, possibly to the extent that the Native might not ever have Children.

Ok, the planet representing children in my chart is Saturn (5th house/sign is Aquarius) and Saturn is retrograde in Taurus in the 8th degree (Azemene) and 8th sign. About the only thing Saturn has going for him is that he is above the horizon in a day chart, and in masculine degree. Otherwise, he's in a feminine sign and quadrant, in a very unfortunate place, and this very unfortunate place is associated with childbirth. Just going by that it would be easy to come to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to have children since Saturn is about as incapable as a planet can get. Yet I have three.

Why? Could it be (and I'm not being sarcastic) because I have Moon in Pisces, a very fruitful sign (and I am a woman, so we would expect Moon to be involved in fertility in some way) and ASC along with Jupiter (the planet naturally related to children) in Libra, a rather fruitful sign. Taurus, where Saturn finds himself, is also a rather fruitful sign. Venus applies to and receives Saturn by trine and getting back to the original topic of this thread Venus joys in the 5th, however it is from Virgo~her fall and a barren sign~ and Venus is in the 12th sign. So that should be no help. Mars applies by trine to Saturn (though Venus gets there first, so frustration.) Mars is exalted, but that's about the only thing going for him as he is in halb though not on the chart's "team" and in a pivot (4th sign) yet in feminine quadrant, sign (masculine degree though) as well as being more than 5* past the IC. Mars is on the "opposite team" so that should be a further hindrance, right? The nature of Mars is to sever and separate.

All of which to say is that having lived it I can almost see how I have been fruitful seven times but have three children. But I can't see it well enough to be able to apply it to another chart. Because Saturn shouldn't be able to deliver (pun intended) anything.

Last edited:

DreamingTheSeas

So in a Nocturnal chart, 5th house(sign) in Aries a Masculine Sign, ruler Mars a Masculine planet is in Hayz, in (Scorpio a Feminine sign) 12th house can still give children. Right?

In a daychart, 6th house(sign) in Libra a masculine Sign, ruler Venus a feminine planet , in (Aries a Masculine sign) 12th house can not benefit health.

Last edited:

BobZemco

What about number of degrees past an angle? This is probably a stupid question, but isn't that where the idea of the house systems came from? A planet more than 5* past up to 30* past an angle is "falling away" from it? And does that harm the planet's ability to function? As in oomph, or energy?

No, there always was an House System. I have no idea what it was, except that it would have been a time-based system similar to the one used by al-Qabisi (for trivia, his Latinzed name was Alcabitius).

Some of the texts that have been translated make reference to star groups being in, uh, for lack of a better word, a "Temple." This star or star group rising in this "Temple" and so on.

Same with Planets: udu.idim.sag.us "appearing" (that's the word in the text) in this "Temple" and things like that.

They knew then, what we know now, and that is it's absurd and illogical that one Sign would have sway over a particular area of the Native's life. There's some spill-over into other areas. How much? That's what the House System would show.

Unfortunately, the Dark Ages ruins everything, and knowledge is lost.

For a long time, not only did they forget how to calculate the House System, they forgot how to calculate the Midheaven as well. I suspect the "Chaldeans" were actually Akkadian intelligentsia who ultimately migrated there after the decline the Assyrian Kingdom, and being all in one place, they were able to reconstruct some of the math and other concepts, and it isn't too long after that when they start calculating the Midheaven again.

From that point on, they try to re-invent the wheel, and too many wheels get re-invented and not enough of them work (especially the square wheels).

Anyway, the idea of power comes from the fact that the Signs move clock-wise in the chart, and so the Ascending Sign -- the 1st Sign -- is pushing the 12th Sign out of the way, and that's where you get the symbolism that Angular Signs are strong, and Cadent Signs are weak.

On the opposite side, the Descendant -- the 7th Sign -- is pushing the 6th Sign out of the way.

Whether you're using an MC or the 10th Sign doesn't matter, since both are moving clock-wise and the 10th Sign is pushing the 9th Sign out of the way, just as the 4th Sign is pushing the 3rd Sign out of the way.

And even though the it is usually translated as "Angles" the actual words or connotations are "Corners" and so these Cadent Signs are falling away from the "Corners" --- the Angles.

That's why Angular Houses are strong and signify beginnings, starting something new, a foundation etc etc, and why the Cadent Houses are weak and represent those things that are either coming to an end or changing, and then obviously the symbolism of the Succeedent Signs/Houses is that they are behind the Angular Houses, so that by the time the Succeedent Sign moves clock-wise to Corner/Angle it signifies something that has been on-going, in-progress, continuous and what not.

Then of course the Cadent Signs moving clock-wise eventually come to the Corners/Angles and so the circle/cycle is complete.

Bearing that in mind, the idea of the 5°/30° thing was created to compensate for the fact that they did not have an House System.

What I would suggest is that if you are using an House System, then abandon the 5°/30° Rule.

If you are using Whole Sign, then I recommend using the 5°/30° Rule

If you are using True Equal House and not Stupid Equal House, then I believe I would be inclined to apply the 5°/30° Rule there as well.

As far as "energy" I think that's a concept that was grossly misunderstood and not translated well over the course of time, because experience and reality prove otherwise.

The Houses in and of themselves are powerless.....meaning the Houses have no special powers and do not act on either the Sign or the Planets.

Think of roads, streets or highways....they are the same as the Houses.

What special power does a road have? None.

A car, truck, lorry, motorcycle on a road is the same as a Planet in an House.

But....aren't there roads that you prefer? Roads that are maintained better than others? Roads that have less traffic than others?

Aren't there roads you'd rather not be on
?

Same with Houses. Some Houses you want to be in, and some you'd rather avoid altogether.

The power is inherent to the Sign and its relationship to other Signs in the chart.

The 6th and 12th Signs are weak in power, not because they are the 6th and 12th Houses, rather because they are the 6th and 12th Signs, and because they do not aspect the Ascending Sign which is where the power in the chart is.

The 1st Sign is so powerful, it is pushing all of the remaining eleven Signs clock-wise around the chart.

If the 1st Sign is the engine of the train, then the 12th Sign is the caboose.

Is it the Engine that pulls the train, or is it the caboose that pushes the train?

Yes, the 3rd Sign is Cadent, but it also sextiles the Ascending Sign and so the Ascending Sign can give/share some power, albeit it weakly, since it is a sextile, and so the 3rd Sign is stronger than the 6th Sign, and much stronger than the 12th Sign.

Likewise, the 9th Sign is Cadent, but it trines the Ascending Sign, and since a trine is more powerful than a sextile, the 9th Sign is stronger than the 3rd Sign, much stronger than the 6th Sign (in aversion to the Ascending Sign), and an helluva lot stronger than the 12th Sign (also in aversion to the Ascending Sign).

What about the Ascendant and the Midheaven?

I don't know. Those are Chart Points. There's nothing there but empty space. You'd be hard-pressed to suggest that they have power, because then you'd have to say the Head/Tail have power, and they don't -- since they are empty points in space. However, that doesn't mean a Planet cannot be harmed or aided by being in a particular point in space. Also you'd have to say that Lots have power, and they don't, since they are chart points as well.

So it isn't the Houses that have power, it's the Signs, and that power is derived from their relationship to the Ascendant Sign.

One other thing you'd need to look at is what is the Planet doing?

Planets joined or assembled in the 12th Sign, yes, something is happening there, but applying aspects they make are virtually useless, but...if a Planet is applying in aspect to a Planet in the 12th, there's going to be something happening there.

Second stupid question, though it relates to the first...what about a planet (let's say Sun) that is more than 5* above the ASC, but in the ascending sign? For example, Sun in the 3rd degree of Libra :whistling: Sun is in fall and "cadent" but otherwise (masculine sign, degree, quadrant) playing in the World Cup?

Uh, I like to cook. I find it very relaxing and therapeutic. I especially like sauces and gravies, and things a garde manger would make like dressings for salads, condiments (like garlic mayonnaise) and glazes for cakes and pastries.

Lots of recipes on the internet, and as you peruse them looking at the ingredients used.... potentially.....and that's the key.....potentially they sound really tasty.

So I follow the directions hoping this potentiality is realized, and I end up with something that I would be embarrassed to feed to a maggot.

You have a Planet that is capable of producing results, and those results will be good or bad depending on whether or not the Planet is Fortunate or Unfortunate.

You're actually the best qualified to make the particular judgment here, and this would also be a good opportunity to test some of the doctrines related to the 5°/30° Rule.

Aside from that, you already know I'd say Sun is in the 12th and capable of failing spectacularly from protecting you from Secret Enemies.

Ok, the planet representing children in my chart is Saturn (5th house/sign is Aquarius) and Saturn is retrograde in Taurus in the 8th degree (Azemene) and 8th sign. About the only thing Saturn has going for him is that he is above the horizon in a day chart, and in masculine degree. Otherwise, he's in a feminine sign and quadrant, in a very unfortunate place, and this very unfortunate place is associated with childbirth. Just going by that it would be easy to come to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to have children since Saturn is about as incapable as a planet can get. Yet I have three.

Why? Could it be (and I'm not being sarcastic) because I have Moon in Pisces, a very fruitful sign (and I am a woman, so we would expect Moon to be involved in fertility in some way) and ASC along with Jupiter (the planet naturally related to children) in Libra, a rather fruitful sign. Taurus, where Saturn finds himself, is also a rather fruitful sign. Venus applies to and receives Saturn by trine and getting back to the original topic of this thread Venus joys in the 5th, however it is from Virgo~her fall and a barren sign~ and Venus is in the 12th sign. So that should be no help. Mars applies by trine to Saturn (though Venus gets there first, so frustration.) Mars is exalted, but that's about the only thing going for him as he is in halb though not on the chart's "team" and in a pivot (4th sign) yet in feminine quadrant, sign (masculine degree though) as well as being more than 5* past the IC. Mars is on the "opposite team" so that should be a further hindrance, right? The nature of Mars is to sever and separate.

So in a Nocturnal chart, 5th house(sign) in Aries a Masculine Sign, ruler Mars a Masculine planet is in Hayz, in (Scorpio a Feminine sign) 12th house can still give children. Right?

In a daychart, 6th house(sign) in Libra a masculine Sign, ruler Venus a feminine planet , in (Aries a Masculine sign) 12th house can not benefit health.

Well, there are very few things that cause total denial in a chart.

We make objective judgments based on the indications of the testimonies that we see. When the testimonies, or indicators or whatever you want to call them are overwhelmingly positive, then it is more than just a mere promise in the chart, it's practically a certainty, and the implication is that the Native has a fair degree of control over whatever topic your delineating that has such overwhelmingly positive indicators.

When the testimonies are mixed, that is not a denial, rather it falls more into the realm of a "promise" and the Native has less say in the matter.

Even when the indicators appear to be negative, it still isn't a total denial, rather it's something that is not within the Native's control, and it will be very difficult to attain whatever it is.

For total denial, you're typically talking about Feral Planets, a Feral Planet or Void of Course Planet in the Topic House and then the Ruler of that House is Combust, or sitting between Saturn and Mars (besieged) or in aversion, or aspects that don't perfect, or something like that.

For children, meaning the Native having children and we'll limit this to biological children, you are looking at the Ascendant, Planets in the Ascendant, the Ascendant Ruler, Planets in the 5th Sign/House and then the Rulers, and also the Dispositor of the Ascendant Ruler/5th Sign/House Ruler.

You're looking at the testimonies for all of them, and then basing your judgment on that.

When you are looking specifically at your children and their lives, and in particular your 1st Born, then you focus on the 5th Sign/House Ruler (the 7th Sign for the 2nd Born and the 9th Sign for the 3rd Born).

It's probably best to print the chart and turn it, or re-draw the chart on paper with turned Houses since you'd be using derived-Houses to delineate your children's lives (at least in part).

I just recently posted something showing two different methods for childbirth using Profections and Solar Returns with Princess Diana's Chart.

I showed how to use the 8th House for William (I think it was) and then the Lot of Conception for Harry, and then just for fun, went back and showed how to use the Lot of Conception on William.

JUPITERASC

...I just recently posted something showing two different methods for childbirth using Profections and Solar Returns with Princess Diana's Chart.

I showed how to use the 8th House for William (I think it was) and then the Lot of Conception for Harry, and then just for fun, went back and showed how to use the Lot of Conception on William.
For those who require a link to the two different methods for childbirth using Profections and Solar Returns with Princess Diana's Chart http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=485551&postcount=21 :smile:
Understandably, many women (and men) have hopes for children. We look at the 1st, 5th and 11th Signs actually.

The logic behind this is very simple: the 1st House represents you; the 5th House signifies your children and specifically, your 1st Born child.

But the 11th?

Two reasons: First, the 11th Sign/House is the fifth Sign/House from the 7th House, which signifies your partners, including marriage partners and even long-term relationships. And, yes, 2,000 years ago, people, um, "lived in sin." That makes the 11th Sign/House ruling your partner's children.

The second reason is that the 11th Sign/House signifies your successors and legal heirs, because it is the second Sign from the 10th Sign.

As king, president, prime minister, regimental commander, CEO, senior partner at the law firm, chief resident of surgery, or crew leader at McDonald's, the 11th Sign/House is the person to succeed you.

In addition to successors, it is your legal heirs and appointees (for example the Executor or Executrix of a Will/Estate).

And yes, that includes your adopted children, who become your legal heirs.

So, it's the 5th and 11th Signs -- not Houses -- because it is the 5th and 11th Signs that make an aspect to the Ascending Sign --- the 5th Sign trines the ascending Sign, while the 11th Sign sextiles the ascending Sign.

The trine is stronger than the sextile, and so the implication is that with the 5th Sign trine, you have a stronger bond with your biological children, than with the children of another (even if you adopt them).

You want to see some kind of relationship between the Planets ruling the 1st, 5th and 11th Signs. This relationship can be

by Sign aspect -- meaning those Planets are in Signs that sextile, square or trine

by being in the same Sign, even though they are not joined

by being in applying aspects to each other (and perfecting those aspects)

by having light transferred from one Planet to another

by having light collected (which suggests the necessity of medical intervention in order to have children or if with the 11th, then using and adoption agency)

Note it is possible to have your own children, other's children and also adopt.

If you have difficulty judging, or get mixed signals, then use the Lot of Children. That's especially true when the indicators are negative, because the Lot and its ruler can help you tell why not children (Lot in 6th indicating general health issues, or Lot in 8th indicating problems with reproductive organs or Lot Ruler in 6th or 8th, joined with the ruler of the 6th or 8th and so on).

Since Retrograde Planets in aspect often impede, take note of that, since it could indicate fewer children than the chart suggests, or a delay in having children, or difficulties having children (which could be related to career, education, financial position, being in jail, health issues and such).

There are people on this forum who will misleadingly tell you the 8th House is "Sex."

It is not. The 8th Sign/House is Death, among things, but also the male and female reproductive organs and, uh, childbirth.

You can go over to the Dark Side and watch them pull their hair out trying to find out when they'll have children, because they don't understand that the 8th Sign/House is childbirth and not sex, and because they don't have the common sense to realize that one can become pregnant in one year, and have the baby in a different year.

Gestation...what a concept.

I'll demonstrate just to tease you. I'm not going to post a chart, but I'll use a chart everyone has access, and that is Diana Princess of Wales.

Like Diana, the both of you want to know if you might have children, and when you might have them. If Diana came to me as a Traditional Astrologer, I would look at her chart and see an very Unfortunate Moon with the Tail in the 3rd Sign (an Human Sign) ruling the 8th House applying to an opposition with Mars (in an Human Sign), ruling the 12th House and Retrograde Mercury in 8th in applying sextile to Mars, and Mars with the Head, plus 4th Sign Ruler Jupiter the 3rd Sign in an Human Sign...not gonna go there...

We see the 1st, 5th and 11th Signs to be Sagittarius, Aries and Libra.

Venus rules Libra. Venus is in Taurus. Venus is in aversion to Libra, a indicator that Diana will not adopt or have step-children. Venus in Taurus is in aversion to the Rising Sign, another indicator that Diana will not adopt or have step-children. Finally, Venus in Taurus is in aversion to the 5th House, yet one more indicator that Diana will not adopt or have step-children.

In Traditional Astrology, we put on our black robes and sometimes powdered wigs, and then we weigh the facts, rendering a judgment. With three rather strong testimonies, we would judge it not likely for Diana to ever adopt or have step-children.

Mars, the 5th Sign Ruler is in an Human Sign. While Mars is in aversion to his own Sign, Virgo does square Sagittarius, and that is a weak testimony. 1st Sign Ruler Jupiter is a positive testimony for children, and Jupiter being in an Human Sign -- Aquarius -- is sextile to both Sagittarius and Aries, and so we have connections there, and our judgment is the potential for children but not many. Here, we might want to look at the Lot of Children, which is in Sagittarius, ruled by Jupiter....positive testimonies for children, so our judgment is that she will have them.

According to her chart, Mars rules the 5th Sign and so represents her 1st Born child William, while Mercury ruling the 7th House is her 2nd Born child Harry.

Mercury (Harry) is Retrograde, Combust, in aversion to its own House, while Mars (William) is elevated over Mercury, and in the 10th Sign. The tenth Sign from the 5th Sign -- Capricorn -- tells part of the story of William. Saturn is domiciled in Capricorn, and while the conjunction with Jupiter never perfects, the trine with Venus in Taurus ruling Williams wealth and substance does.

Anyway, as a Traditional Astrologer, I would start with Diana's profected charts, because Traditional Astrologers don't like to waste time on stupid stuff....like Transits.

I recommend the Lot of Conception. In Diana's chart it falls natally at 21° Taurus with Ruler Venus so no problems there. Accordingly, any time Venus is activated, you need to pay attention.

Starting at '0' we count around the chart, each Sign equals 1 year, and come to year 20 in 1981 with Leo on the profected Ascendant. Sun rules Leo sitting in Cancer natally in the 8th Sign/House of Child-Birth.

B-b-b-b-better cast a Solar Return Chart.

Scorpio comes to the Solar Return Ascendant ruled by Pluto? Nope, Pluto doesn't count...rule by Mars who is sitting in Gemini in the 8th Sign of the Solar Return Chart and rules the 5th Sign of Children natally.

The Solar Return Lot of Conception is at 20° Aquarius, with SR Mars in an applying trine, and Saturn exalted in Libra with Jupiter ruling the 5th Sign of the SR Chart applying to a conjunction.

How freaking hard was that?

Moving right along, we see that 2 year later, the profected Ascendant is in Libra activating Natal Venus who rules the Lot of Conception.

B-b-b-b-better cast a Solar Return Chart.

This chart's a little more difficult, which is why some use the Lot of Conception. This chart doesn't show child-birth, but then that's because Harry isn't born for another 16 months or so.

Gemini-Rising, Lot of Conception is at 21° Scorpio and Solar Return Venus in Leo –-- ruler of the natal Lot of Conception ---- comes round and joins the Solar Return Lot of Conception on December 24 –--- and then Prince Henry comes along 9 months later.

If you wanna back-track, then see Diana’s Solar Return for 1981 with Aquarius-Rising and the Solar Return Lot of Conception at 20° Aquarius. Solar Return Venus –-- again ruler of the natal Lot of Conception ---- comes round and trines the Solar Return Lot of Conception on September 4, and then Prince William arrives 9 months later in June.

That’s how it’s done.

You don’t have to use Lots, but they often clarify and make life much simpler.

So, first and foremost, focus on the 8th Sign/House since it is the House of Child-birth, and then look to connections between the 5th and 8th House, or use the Lot of Conception.

One other thing…..in Diana’s Chart, Venus rules Children…..for Diana, and for no one else.

Yes, it is possible that Venus rules Children in your chart, but it’s also possible that it is Saturn who rules Children in your chart….or Mercury, or Sun or Mars.

You’ll need to calculate the Almuten of Children, and I mention that, because the Planet that rules the 7th House in your chart may not be the Planet that rules Marriage --– yes, you’ll need to determine which of the Planets actually rules Marriage (and the same for wealth and health and everything else --- the Planets that rules those Houses aren’t necessarily the Planets that run the show).

Learning is both fun and rewarding…..so use the internet.

tsmall

Premium Member
Thanks again Bob. Once more you have given me something to think about.

Aside from that, you already know I'd say Sun is in the 12th and capable of failing spectacularly from protecting you from Secret Enemies.

No kidding. Although I might be willing to say that this particular Sun is at least capable of mitigating the damage those secret enemies can cause. Since I know someone with Jupiter in Sagittarius, the 12th sign but 11th house who was also recently beset by secret enemies...what I'm starting to see is that it is indeed a confluence, or at least a need to blend the idea of both, correct?

The idea I'm thinking of most for this is that it is helpful to have benefics with potential in "bad" houses because they help to protect the native from the things associate with those houses, even though they may not be able to do much else.

Planets joined or assembled in the 12th Sign, yes, something is happening there, but applying aspects they make are virtually useless, but...if a Planet is applying in aspect to a Planet in the 12th, there's going to be something happening there.

All right. Do out of sign applications count? Or what if the planet applying is also cadent?

For total denial, you're typically talking about Feral Planets, a Feral Planet or Void of Course Planet in the Topic House and then the Ruler of that House is Combust, or sitting between Saturn and Mars (besieged) or in aversion, or aspects that don't perfect, or something like that.

Every time you post about Feral planets I freak out a little. I spent about six months thinking that one through because there was a chart...Bing Crosby's son if I remember correctly...

I think feral planets would deserve another thread though.

byjove

Account Closed
This thread got slightly hijacked. Apologies, byjove! :)

...:happy: I have just finished reading the updates...

I think there is a considerable amount of information on the strength and weaknesses of Joys - and related dignities and debilities. Anyone searching for that information will find a wealth of info to work with. :wink:

One issue I find with researching these details is that there appears to be no end. You drop the stone into the well and you never hear it hit anything. I think 50% of this is knowledge and experience but the other 50% is subjective - which school of thought do you work with? If you use them all, you surely arrive at modern astrology anyway?

tsmall

Premium Member
...:happy: I have just finished reading the updates...

I think there is a considerable amount of information on the strength and weaknesses of Joys - and related dignities and debilities. Anyone searching for that information will find a wealth of info to work with. :wink:

One issue I find with researching these details is that there appears to be no end. You drop the stone into the well and you never hear it hit anything. I think 50% of this is knowledge and experience but the other 50% is subjective - which school of thought do you work with? If you use them all, you surely arrive at modern astrology anyway?

I doubt it. Both about being able to find delineative info on the joys, and getting back around to modern astrology. Not because modern astrology can't work, but perhaps because there is a way it can work better, by understanding the underpinnings.

To get back to the original query, regarding the strength of planetary joys, I did discover this interesting tidbit.

In Dykes’ IA, there is a quote from Abu Mashar cited as from the Abbreviation of the Great Introduction; “On the Impotence of the Stars.” Astrology is a language, no?

“And the impotence of the Sun is to be in a female quarter or female signs [unless he is in the ninth place, his joy.]”

There is a difference between impotence and misfortune. This passage leads the reader to the idea that joy surpasses unempowered. Which could be why Mars, though cadent in the 6th, does not lack effectiveness in a chart. Nor Sun in 9th, Moon in 3rd, or Saturn in 12th. Misfortune is not the same as impotent.

Further evidence that sometimes cadent planets are infused with the ability to act?

If we follow this line of thought, what we are looking at re: the planetary joys is a way to be able to over come disempowerment. That wouldn't necessarily mean that we don't want to consider the planet's condition, but rather we want to look at what impedes the planet from perfecting it's significations, and then consider if being in joy is going to do it.

byjove

Account Closed
Well the original query didn't ask about cadent planets at all, it was where in the ranks would joy fit.

While I appreciate the giants of the past, that quote is a great example of the ambiguity and elusiveness of some past authors. No doubt a common rebuttal would be that 'we don't understand' if we don't agree. No, I just don't use that approach or text.

byjove

Account Closed
Hi,

I did a search for "joys" in all the threads and got nothing, perhaps it's been phrased differently?

Do many modern astrologers here use the joys? How strong do you consider the planetary joys?

e.g.
Domicile
exaltation
joy / triplicity
term
face

something like this? I've just come across a bounty - my 1st ruler which has only two aspects, both of which are strong and harsh, is actually in joy...so 1st ruler in joy opposing an exalted planet and both square a third planet. Many the chart ruler has some saving grace......

This was the OP if anyone has forgotten or to keep on topic.