Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Dignities & debilities

Dignities & debilities Board for discussing planets in dignities and debilities in natal charts.


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM
SniperBomber328's Avatar
SniperBomber328 SniperBomber328 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Unknown to prying eyes
Posts: 572
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4life View Post
Having your Venus in a critical degree:
You are optimistic but often disappointed, you can be very vulnerable emotionally and can be imposed upon or taken advantage of by others. Actually you victimize yourself with a childish impatience and refusal to allow things to run their course – such as waiting for Mr. or Ms. “Right” to come along, and pouncing on any likely prospects. You may not be looking for give-and-take in an intimate relationship so much as for security and a sense of stability. You are nurturing, spontaneous and full of adventure.

Having your Jupiter in a critical degree:
You like being looked up to and taking charge. You take great delight in sheer contrariness, and there may be a vaguely patronizing or condescending air about you – or the sense that you are humoring or indulging other people. You’re often unwilling to give anyone else any credit. When you have learned the virtues of adaptability, the steadfastness of purpose and complete sincerity which are your outstanding qualities win you the firm allegiance of all who know you.

This information above is from one of the links that I included in an earlier post. This is paraphrased and some parts directly from the article to get the full picture.

13 degrees of Libra: Food and drink
26 degrees of Libra: Detectives

Venus is in its ruler in Libra so it feels very comfortable there.

Another thing to remember is the strength of degrees 00 will be the weakest, but growing in strength culminating in the highest point at 15 degrees then waining in strength all the way back to 29.

You must also take into account what house they are in and what aspects they are making. This is just one little facet of the whole chart. It is meant to be amalgamated into the rest of the information for a comprehensive and accurate picture.

Please check out the lunar mansions and pitted degrees that the others have posted also.

Good Luck,
S4L
Thanks S4L for this post, though I don't really know if those descriptions fit me well. Another thing I going to have to mix to my "ever expanding concoction of astrological terms and symobols of me" data. Just a funny term I coined, nothing actually real.

One thing I am though is spontaneous, and my Libra is in the 12th with Jupiter and Venus there, so it might be more subtle if anything. Or inner closed (imprisoned) as some like to think.

__________________
"If you do what you love, you will never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius
.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
student4life's Avatar
student4life student4life is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 127
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperBomber328 View Post
One thing I am though is spontaneous, and my Libra is in the 12th with Jupiter and Venus there, so it might be more subtle if anything. Or inner closed (imprisoned) as some like to think.
What are they aspecting? Are they retrograde? Do you have a Libra or Scorpio as your ASC?

The 12th does represent things that are hidden or institutions (i.e. prisons, hospitals, etc...) also, hidden enemies, solitude, and the unconscious.

I am not seeing your chart, but from the very little information you have provided it seems that your love life is somewhat hidden or very private. You most likely idealize love and have an almost idealized image of what you would like your mate to be. If you are a guy you probably would like a woman who is very feminine and reserved. You are probably shy also, unless something else in the chart states otherwise.
With having your Jupiter in Libra in the 12th you could possibly make money doing some sort mediation possibly in the prison system, or dealing with juvenile delinquents. Maybe being a beautician in a convent. LOL You see where I'm going with this. I am giving you a very general brief description of how it could express itself because I don't have any other information to go off of.
__________________
We cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individual. Toward this end, each of us must work towards his own highest development, accepting at the same time his share of responsibility in the general life of humanity. -Marie Curie
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:26 AM
DreamingTheSeas's Avatar
DreamingTheSeas DreamingTheSeas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I want to see the Northern Lights
Posts: 514
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

This 11 year old girl is my god daughter. As you can see she has been born in a critical degree on her ASC. Problem??? YES! She has mendal retardation in a very large degree. She has not said any word even mom or dad, she can not use even the bathroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg astro_2gw_23_kelly_hw.268917.986.jpg (80.1 KB, 15 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:38 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Very unfortunate to hear that, and hope that she improves; yes, the ascending degree is critical, but personally I think that the Moon posited in the azimene degree (11Cancer) is a major factor: might have even influenced the entire 11th (whole sign) house, of which Moon is dispositor (and, if so, this would then also impact Mercury as well, from which the azimened Moon is seperating a conjunction) Further the Moon is "blocked" from "doing its duty" by also occupying a pitted degree of Cancer (again, the 11th degree) Not so much that the Moon "harms"-rather its just "not available" to do what is should, to make the effects/influences its "supposed to make", for this person.

Last edited by dr. farr; 01-19-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
DreamingTheSeas's Avatar
DreamingTheSeas DreamingTheSeas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I want to see the Northern Lights
Posts: 514
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
Very unfortunate to hear that, and hope that she improves; yes, the ascending degree is critical, but personally I think that the Moon posited in the azimene degree (11Cancer) is a major factor: might have even influenced the entire 11th (whole sign) house, of which Moon is dispositor (and, if so, this would then also impact Mercury as well, from which the azimened Moon is seperating a conjunction) Further the Moon is "blocked" from "doing its duty" by also occupying a pitted degree of Cancer (again, the 11th degree) Not so much that the Moon "harms"-rather its just "not available" to do what is should, to make the effects/influences its "supposed to make", for this person.
dr. farr,

So the 11th degree in Cancer is also critical??
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Unread 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingTheSeas View Post
dr. farr,

So the 11th degree in Cancer is also critical??

No, it is not a critical degree: 11 Cancer is one of the azimenes (later called "lamed") degree and it is also a pitted degree. It "influence" is modified somewhat (lessening its disruptive qualities) because it is also one of the Bright degrees of Cancer.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:21 AM
DreamingTheSeas's Avatar
DreamingTheSeas DreamingTheSeas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I want to see the Northern Lights
Posts: 514
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
No, it is not a critical degree: 11 Cancer is one of the azimenes (later called "lamed") degree and it is also a pitted degree. It "influence" is modified somewhat (lessening its disruptive qualities) because it is also one of the Bright degrees of Cancer.
dr. farr my daughter has also Moon in Cancer in 11th degree but alone in 3rd house (whole house). As also makes a square with a 12th house Venus ( her ASC ruler) makes me a little worry about health problems in her future.

Anyway, back to god daughter, her Uranus in 20 47 of Aqua could say is in critical degree?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Don't just look at one element in the chart; other factors come into play, for example in the god daughter chart it was a critical ascending degree plus Moon in azimene/pitted degree IN its house of rulership (Cancer) AND dispositing Mercury; these factor caught my attention outright; further, your daughter's pitted Moon will not influence (by square) Venus in the 12th, because pitted planets can't do much relative to making significant aspectual influences; further, your daughter's Moon is helped somewhat by being in its joy in the 3rd house.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
DreamingTheSeas's Avatar
DreamingTheSeas DreamingTheSeas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I want to see the Northern Lights
Posts: 514
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

thank you dr. farr.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
SniperBomber328's Avatar
SniperBomber328 SniperBomber328 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Unknown to prying eyes
Posts: 572
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4life View Post
What are they aspecting? Are they retrograde? Do you have a Libra or Scorpio as your ASC?

The 12th does represent things that are hidden or institutions (i.e. prisons, hospitals, etc...) also, hidden enemies, solitude, and the unconscious.

I am not seeing your chart, but from the very little information you have provided it seems that your love life is somewhat hidden or very private. You most likely idealize love and have an almost idealized image of what you would like your mate to be. If you are a guy you probably would like a woman who is very feminine and reserved. You are probably shy also, unless something else in the chart states otherwise.
With having your Jupiter in Libra in the 12th you could possibly make money doing some sort mediation possibly in the prison system, or dealing with juvenile delinquents. Maybe being a beautician in a convent. LOL You see where I'm going with this. I am giving you a very general brief description of how it could express itself because I don't have any other information to go off of.

My chart:

Below in the link if it shows.
Attached Images
File Type: gif astro_2gw_01_ergh_trhtr_hw_39594_1198.gif (65.1 KB, 8 views)
__________________
"If you do what you love, you will never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius
.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Unread 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM
student4life's Avatar
student4life student4life is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 127
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

SniperBomber328,

I have looked at the chart that you posted.
Starting with your Venus, it is in a very good placement with degree and sign, it is in the 12th house which will make it more subtle or hidden as you said earlier, it is square your Uranus and Neptune in the 3rd house but I think that is softened due to the earlier mentioned positive attributes that the venus is experiencing.
The Jupiter trine Saturn in the 4th house is very nice. Having Saturn in Aquarius in the 4th trine the Libra Jupiter in the 12th is beneficial with helping others and seeking balance.
This is a little off topic from the discussion on critical degrees but your chart seems to have a very strong leaning towards doing the unusual for the purpose of helping others. You are combining the energies of Libra Scorpio Capricorn Aquarius and Pisces. Unusual mystical social work
__________________
We cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individual. Toward this end, each of us must work towards his own highest development, accepting at the same time his share of responsibility in the general life of humanity. -Marie Curie
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Claire19's Avatar
Claire19 Claire19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,033
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4life View Post
I did post the chart. I am just trying to understand the significance, if any. Thanks
Very sorry I didnt see that. My fault.. As I say I dont give credence to critical degrees and dont see the logic in the theory...but that is my opinion.
__________________
The stars impel, not compel.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
SniperBomber328's Avatar
SniperBomber328 SniperBomber328 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Unknown to prying eyes
Posts: 572
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4life View Post
SniperBomber328,

I have looked at the chart that you posted.
Starting with your Venus, it is in a very good placement with degree and sign, it is in the 12th house which will make it more subtle or hidden as you said earlier, it is square your Uranus and Neptune in the 3rd house but I think that is softened due to the earlier mentioned positive attributes that the venus is experiencing.
The Jupiter trine Saturn in the 4th house is very nice. Having Saturn in Aquarius in the 4th trine the Libra Jupiter in the 12th is beneficial with helping others and seeking balance.
This is a little off topic from the discussion on critical degrees but your chart seems to have a very strong leaning towards doing the unusual for the purpose of helping others. You are combining the energies of Libra Scorpio Capricorn Aquarius and Pisces. Unusual mystical social work

Thanks for my chart reading, especially on Venus and the 12th House. Though I never really felt e mystical erge to help others, I do try to always help others in the sense of real life. Though with chores....meh.
__________________
"If you do what you love, you will never have to work a day in your life" - Confucius
.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:35 AM
serafin5's Avatar
serafin5 serafin5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the california high desert
Posts: 966
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
The 3 degrees mentioned is both before and after the degree; however, I myself consider this too wide, and consider about 2 degrees maximum; if you are going to consider critical degrees in delineation, then you should also consider other degree qualities such as the pitted/elevated degree and the Bright and dark degree qualities as well (these other considerations are found in older Traditionalist and Hellenistic astrology sources*)
Regarding the critical degrees, I follow Manly P. Hall in regarding them as conferring constructive ("benefic") influences as the general rule. Planets in them (in my opinion moreso than cuspal degrees) are generally enhanced and whatever the planet's constructive influences might be, are elevated, by such placement.

(*Many of our Modernist friends discount the degree qualities-including the critical degrees-either mostly or entirely, and generally consider them of minor consequence; many have similar attitudes toward the Lunar Nodes, toward the Arabic Parts, and many even toward the Part of Fortune; although as an eclectic I follow many Modernist concepts and methods, I follow the Traditionalists and Hellenists in attributing much significance to conepts like the critical degrees and other degree qualities, the Lots, and other oldtime practices and procedures)
Hi Dr Farr:

When I first saw this thread I basically said the same thing about elevated and pitted degs, bright and dark, etc. I didnt know that there was another table of critical degrees and/or school of thought on this. Can you direct me to any sites listing other critical degrees other than what I've been learning from the Trads? I'm a little embarrassed but oh well that is how I'm learning and there's no shame in my game.

Thanks for always helping this student!
Serafin5
__________________


Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook

Last edited by serafin5; 02-01-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: boo-boo
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:30 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

The list of critical degrees is the same for all: basically they are connected with the Mansions of the Moon (a highly overlooked element in both Modernist and Traditionalist Western astrology by the way, but still important in Vedic and Chinese astrology to this day) Perhaps exploring the ramifications of the Lunar Mansions in their connection to the Critical Degrees, would be of interest to you...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Unread 02-01-2012, 06:26 AM
serafin5's Avatar
serafin5 serafin5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the california high desert
Posts: 966
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
The list of critical degrees is the same for all: basically they are connected with the Mansions of the Moon (a highly overlooked element in both Modernist and Traditionalist Western astrology by the way, but still important in Vedic and Chinese astrology to this day) Perhaps exploring the ramifications of the Lunar Mansions in their connection to the Critical Degrees, would be of interest to you...
n

If learning this will help me to interpret a person's chart better and/or tell me or the astrologer something additionally important then by all means I think it would be beneficial for me to learn any and all info I need to become a better astrologer
__________________


Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Unread 02-01-2012, 07:30 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Understanding of Lunar Mansions can often be an important additional delineative tool (its central to say Vedic astrology, where the Mansions are called "nakshatras") I would learn about them!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Claire19's Avatar
Claire19 Claire19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,033
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by student4life View Post
I did post the chart. I am just trying to understand the significance, if any. Thanks
sorry, didnt see the chart.
__________________
The stars impel, not compel.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Claire19's Avatar
Claire19 Claire19 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,033
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingTheSeas View Post
dr. farr my daughter has also Moon in Cancer in 11th degree but alone in 3rd house (whole house). As also makes a square with a 12th house Venus ( her ASC ruler) makes me a little worry about health problems in her future.

Anyway, back to god daughter, her Uranus in 20 47 of Aqua could say is in critical degree?
I would look at her 6th house planets if any and the house ruler. Also the ascendant ruler and it is aspects as well as the sign and any planets in the 1st which indicates birth problems and early days. 3rd house rules our everyday communications, siblings, neighbours, our basic education and our intelligence in general. The 12th can deal with hospitals and rehabilitation and our weaknesses such as addictions but not our general health issues.
__________________
The stars impel, not compel.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Claire19 For This Useful Post:
DreamingTheSeas (07-04-2012)
  #45  
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
serafin5's Avatar
serafin5 serafin5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the california high desert
Posts: 966
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. farr View Post
The list of critical degrees is the same for all: basically they are connected with the Mansions of the Moon (a highly overlooked element in both Modernist and Traditionalist Western astrology by the way, but still important in Vedic and Chinese astrology to this day) Perhaps exploring the ramifications of the Lunar Mansions in their connection to the Critical Degrees, would be of interest to you...
Dear Dr. Farr:

I dont mean to bug but I want to learn right and you always help me. Please?.........

The only critical degrees I have are the 21st degree in Leo, scorpio and aquarius. I have 0deg in libra, and 9deg for scorpio. I have a whole chart of elevated and pitted degrees and the reason I'm confused is that the list Vista gives at the start of the thread for cardinal signs includes 13degs and I have in my chart that 13degs is elevated for signs cancer and capricorn. Can 13degs be both critical and elevated at the same time?

I will look on the search mode and the net for other explanations too.

Thanks always,
Serafin5
__________________


Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Unread 02-07-2012, 02:17 AM
dr. farr dr. farr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: los angeles california
Posts: 12,474
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Yes, as I have mentioned in one of my posts to my "Elevated and Pitted Degrees" thread, a critical degree can also be an elevated degree or it can be a pitted degree (in which case it "shines forth from its pit")-I have gone into this question somewhat in my post to that thread, to which I refer you for more information.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Unread 07-03-2012, 07:28 AM
may28gemini
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Wow this really blew my mind! Now I know the meaning behind my 29 Gemini Mercury... he was not happy that he was going to fly into soggy Cancer so I have a less powerful Mercury than those with earlier degrees. I did read student4life's 101 on Jupiter in 0 degree and it's dead on for me. I have 0 Libra Jupiter and I can be a condescending jerk. I don't ever really mean to be that way, but sometimes I can't help myself because I'm often surrounded by idiots.

LOL thank you so much. I love this informative thread!!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
DreamingTheSeas's Avatar
DreamingTheSeas DreamingTheSeas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: I want to see the Northern Lights
Posts: 514
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire19 View Post
I would look at her 6th house planets if any and the house ruler. Also the ascendant ruler and it is aspects as well as the sign and any planets in the 1st which indicates birth problems and early days. 3rd house rules our everyday communications, siblings, neighbours, our basic education and our intelligence in general. The 12th can deal with hospitals and rehabilitation and our weaknesses such as addictions but not our general health issues.
In Whole House her 6th house (Libra) Ruler is in 12th, also her 1st house (Taurus) Ruler is in 12th. So her Venus in 12th makes me worry a lot,a Venus who squares moon but sextilles Jupiter. Until now (she is 3 years and 4 months) seems very healthy, the only thing is she lost a front teeth when she was 17 months.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Zaphod's Avatar
Zaphod Zaphod is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Hampshire USA
Posts: 145
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

Appendix 3 of the Avelar and Ribeiro book "On the Heavenly Spheres" has some useful tables and discussion to further illustrate Dr. Farr's points. IMO, it's an altogether excellent introduction to traditional astrological methods.
__________________
Astrology and Tarot Blog: https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Sandra0406's Avatar
Sandra0406 Sandra0406 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 42
Re: Significance of Critical Degrees in a Chart

From 29 - 30 degrees is actually 30th degree,from 0 to 1 degree is 1st degree...This means for example when a planet located at the 13th degree it's actually 14th degree...or maybe I'm wrong?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chart, critical, degrees, significance

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synastry VS. Composite (or are both equally important) Mistery Relational Astrology 33 09-29-2017 04:33 PM
Essential Dignities and the Web of Rulership Frank Education Board 0 06-17-2009 10:49 PM
Basic astrology questions snipbean Natal Astrology 23 10-28-2008 12:37 AM
A Natal chart for fun. Bob Natal Astrology 48 04-16-2007 03:52 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.