Feng Shui the art of placement. Is there anything to it?

JayM

Hello all

I found a book belonging to one of my parents and wondered if there was anything to it really. I know its an ancient art/science but it talks about the flow of "ch'i" so I guess its something a super intuitive would understand. It talks about how the position of plants and fountains can improve your life and you finances and how the position of a cash register in realtion to the door can improve buisness. Im sure nature does have positive effect on you, but does anyone think this stuff works?

Please share your experiences and what you think.

Thank you.:love:

gemini59

I am so not a decorator. So I watched a dozen shows trying to figure out what to do when I moved into my own home. I finally crossed this show on Feng shui. I was intrigued as I am a bit of a mystic and I liked this idea and most important of all it gave me a since of direction in decorating ...principles to use so to speak.
In fact I am Feng Shui.ing right now. The first step is to remove clutter, to open yourself and your space, to remove what is not necessary. Cleaning the mind, cleaning the space. So cleaning garage, closets, under sink, spaces and will take loads to the Goodwill store. Also, making sure your drains are flowing:) (water is money).
I do simple things too. I removed the tv from my room, moved furniture that was looming over me as I slept, kept my closet door and bathroom door closed to the bedroom...that kind of stuff. Helped me to sleep more peacefully.
There is a whole process to furniture and arrangement of colors or pictures.As an example. You are supposed to place your bed so that you can see all the doors but still be guarded. You do not want your head or feet facing the door. Or your couch with your back open to a door .Most practical.You will see that when you place your furniture according to the principles you feel safer.
Do you know why there is the whole Red door thing. Red invites luck and money into the house. So it is just not to look pretty. I dont have a red door but I need one:)
So I am not sure if it works per se but it is a technique you can use, in a practical form, to breathe life into the space. I use it as it is a method that reflects my own beliefs in a general way, your space should be a ligned with nature so to speak.

Last edited:

MamaMinnee

Please share your experiences and what you think.

Thank you.:love:

My entire house is feng shui'd and people always comment on how inviting and comfortable it is. I have Aquarius ruling the 4th house.

I practice feng shui and use a combination of: the flying star method, bagua and Four Pillars.

My philosophy--why would an entire country and more, perpetuate a faulty belief system for centuries? Plus, engaging in it can't hurt. And, moving things around regularly keeps things cleaner and prevents inordinate clutter.

Try it, you'll like it.

JayM

Thank you all for your comments I am trying to clean my room but it seems impossible to organise everything on my shelves.

MamaMinnee

Thank you all for your comments I am trying to clean my room but it seems impossible to organise everything on my shelves.
If the shelves are located in their proper direction, this should not be a problem, so you might need to move them to a more auspicious location for ease in organization.

whammy:kiss

I can't say that I know a lot about Feng Shui yet, but it's something I definitely want to try. I'm moving to California soon, and I told my sister I want to Feng Shui my room out :happy: She actually has books on it, so I'm going to study it a bit and see if it affects anything. When you think about it though, clearing out clutter and unnecessary things does put your mind at ease...I also would think that having plants would be very relaxing.

Ryoin

Banned
Since I moved to my new place I've given feng shui a try and I have to say that I really enjoy it. I can't really say if there's any sort of magic to it yet, but to me it's had an effect on my attitude I guess you could say. I feel like I've completed something if I can get the puzzle of feng shui figured out in a room. It kind of feels like a giant sudoku, but I don't have to play with numbers (which makes me feel like a freakin' genius!)

The only thing is to really have a well done house, you have to have money. That plant next to the sink would be cool...if you could afford a plant. It's that kind of thing, and if you don't have that, you're kind of up the creek without a paddle until you get one. Like right now, I need lamps because my living room doesn't have enough light, specifically I need wood light, so I need taller lamps. But I don't have money for lamps right now, so my living room will continue to be a sleep-trap until I get them. How am I supposed to make more money if I keep falling asleep on the couch!? Woe is me. :)

My philosophy--why would an entire country and more, perpetuate a faulty belief system for centuries?

Christianity?

Sorry, I thought that was pretty funny, though. :)

The only thing is to really have a well done house, you have to have money. That plant next to the sink would be cool...if you could afford a plant. It's that kind of thing, and if you don't have that, you're kind of up the creek without a paddle until you get one. Like right now, I need lamps because my living room doesn't have enough light, specifically I need wood light, so I need taller lamps. But I don't have money for lamps right now, so my living room will continue to be a sleep-trap until I get them. How am I supposed to make more money if I keep falling asleep on the couch!? Woe is me. :)

Christianity?

Sorry, I thought that was pretty funny, though. :)

I'm with you there...it's like a catch 22, you want to have a better living space but you need plants and plants cost a lot, yet you don't make enough money to afford the plants anyway. I'm having the same issue. But I think maybe if I made it a point to save up a little bit each month for a cool room, I'd be able to reach my goal. I think ultimately a room with good flow and energy is more important than we realize as we go through our everyday routine and 9-5 job. Maybe we'd benefit from having a better living space, and it would affect our lives in a positive way? Having a better attitude would benefit us in the workplace, enhance love life, etc.

Ryoin

Banned
Well, the good thing is the main point of feng shui can be done with little money, and you touched on it in the beginning. Just keep everything cleaned up and in it's place to let the chi flow through the house in the way you want it.

You're only doing one room, right? Well, then you probably won't really have that much of a problem. It only becomes complicated when you're doing a whole house. Then again, I can see how only doing one room could be difficult because you'll probably be using your room for many, many things and it'll be difficult to just sit down and say "This is a bedroom, it's in this part of the house, it's this this this". Because you'll be using it for studying, sleeping, and perhaps entertainment.

I've got a book called The Feng Shui Bible. It's definately not worth the money paid for it, as it only has so many pages, but very little substance to it all and very little practical information that you can use for more than one specific situation, but if there's any information you want, I can certainly send you some ideas for your room. Save your money for the plants, bells, and chimes!

Well, the good thing is the main point of feng shui can be done with little money, and you touched on it in the beginning. Just keep everything cleaned up and in it's place to let the chi flow through the house in the way you want it.

You're only doing one room, right? Well, then you probably won't really have that much of a problem. It only becomes complicated when you're doing a whole house. Then again, I can see how only doing one room could be difficult because you'll probably be using your room for many, many things and it'll be difficult to just sit down and say "This is a bedroom, it's in this part of the house, it's this this this". Because you'll be using it for studying, sleeping, and perhaps entertainment.

I've got a book called The Feng Shui Bible. It's definately not worth the money paid for it, as it only has so many pages, but very little substance to it all and very little practical information that you can use for more than one specific situation, but if there's any information you want, I can certainly send you some ideas for your room. Save your money for the plants, bells, and chimes!

That would be great! I'd love some tips. I'm going to be in a crazy emotional state so I definitely want to make my bedroom comfortable and peaceful for me.

Ryoin

Banned
Next week? That is pretty soon. Revive this thread when you get there and we'll see how far we can go with it. :D Maybe other people can learn something from your example.

candiceaqua

HEHE, it is also a kind of astrology:cool:, guess where I am from!

The real perfect fengshui has to be designed according to each persons different birch chart.

Considering it's not astrology, I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

Last edited:

Next week? That is pretty soon. Revive this thread when you get there and we'll see how far we can go with it. :D Maybe other people can learn something from your example.

Sounds like a plan, Ryoin! and Candiceaqua--that's interesting what you said about having to use one's own birth chart to configure their feng shui. I'm going to have to get a book about it...although I would hate to buy a book and have it be a bad one...

Neptune Rising

I think there is something to it. I just feel energies. I currently live in a house with a bathroom attached to the kitchen by a door. When the door is open, it just doesn't feel right, nor when the toilet seat is left up and open. I understand this is something to do with the energy being taken away 'down the drain' so to speak. Feels much better then the door is closed, and the toilet seat down, lid closed. Also I'm sensitive to the way the bed is placed in the room, and the way it faces the door. Sharp corners I try to avoid too, they just look 'sharp', and I certainly wouldnt want to knock against one, rounded is smoother and calmer, imo.

I would like to live half way up a hill, for prosperity? And I try not to place pictures of the sea on the wall, again for prosperity? But this hasn't really helped my finances very much :tongue:

I definately think there is something in it, just a sensitivity to surroundings.