Neechabhanga Raja Yoga

HoldOrFold

I've been studying Vedic astrology lately and just posted on the vedic board about how some leading vedic astrologers use the tropical zodiac. Since using that system, some very interesting things have opened up as you can do away with having to use the sidereal zodiac for planetary placements.

Anyway, one particular thing I picked up from this system is the concept of "Neechabhanga Raja Yoga". This concept means that in some cases, the debilitation of a planet will be cancelled or sometimes actually produce even better results than usual under certain circumstances.

I've always wondered why my Jupiter in Capricorn seems to be functioning so well for me, but couldn't really find anything about it. It turns out that my Jupiter is "Neechabhanga".

Some examples of how this comes about are:

- If the debilitated planet's dispositor aspects the debilitated planet
- If the debilitated planet's exaltation lord aspects the debilitated planet
- If the planet that gets exalted in the sign where the debilitated planet is, is in an angular house
- If the debilitated planet's dispositor or exaltation lord are in angular houses

It turns out my Jupiter fits 4 of criteria above.
- Saturn sextiles Jupiter
- Moon sextiles Jupiter
- Saturn, Moon and Mars are all in angular houses

There's a few more as well....(this wiki page is pretty good at explaining if you can translate some of the vedic words).

It's quite interesting and might shed some light on why certain debilitated planets function well and perhaps are producing particularly good results.

Last edited:

The_Saturnian

Snap! I've been led to believe that I have a double Neechbhanga Rajyog with Jupiter (r) in Capricorn. It opposes my debilitated Mars in Cancer. Also I have Moon in Scorpio which also interchanges with Mars in Cancer. Moon ruling Cancer and Mars ruling Scorpio.

I've been lucky at times in my life e.g. I survived the blazes of my parents house I set on fire when I was 7 with matches. Got out of it with a burn mark. Perhaps this might due to the double yogas I have?

HoldOrFold

Snap! I've been led to believe that I have a double Neechbhanga Rajyog with Jupiter (r) in Capricorn. It opposes my debilitated Mars in Cancer. Also I have Moon in Scorpio which also interchanges with Mars in Cancer. Moon ruling Cancer and Mars ruling Scorpio.

I've been lucky at times in my life e.g. I survived the blazes of my parents house I set on fire when I was 7 with matches. Got out of it with a burn mark. Perhaps this might due to the double yogas I have?

Nice yogas, I can definitely see how it works with my Jupiter.

Out of curiosity, are you using sidereal or tropical? I notice on your signature you say your Mars is conjunct your Sun in Leo but you say your Mars is in Cancer in this post.

HoldOrFold

Yeah. Which house is your Jupiter in Capricorn in? The signature is based on tropical Placidus.

Ok, yes I only use tropical. I'm of the opinion vedic astrology should be using the tropical zodiac as well, like Ernst Wilhelm uses.

My Jupiter's in the 5th house placidus.

HoldOrFold

Ok. Do you feel any inhibiting factor regarding 5th house matters? E.g. fun, activities, creativity etc.

Whenever I get a minor transit to Jupiter, good times ensue. e.g. the Sun was conjunct my Jupiter last week and my friends who I hadn't seen in a long time came around and we had a really good time.

But on a more macrocospic level, the positive qualities of Capricorn seem to be quite active in me considering that's my only Capricorn planet (besides Neptune) and it being debilitated. I'm mainly Aries, Scorpio and Pisces with an emphasis on water houses (8th/4th). Yet business, strategy, grounded analysis etc. are fundamental and well functioning aspects of my personality. I put that mainly down to my Jupiter which squares my chart ruler (Sun) and the sextiles it makes with the Moon and Saturn. Saturn trines the Moon in Pisces too, which I believe helps ground things.

sibylline

Some examples of how this comes about are:

- If the debilitated planet's dispositor aspects the debilitated planet
- If the debilitated planet's exaltation lord aspects the debilitated planet

What sort of orbs are you using for these?

I have an angular planet in detriment (in Western, in Vedic it is fine) and it doesn't cause trouble (besides the fact that the sign doesn't work well with the planet...). None of the four conditions listed fit, however.

HoldOrFold

I have an angular planet in detriment (in Western, in Vedic it is fine) and it doesn't cause trouble (besides the fact that the sign doesn't work well with the planet...). None of the four conditions listed fit, however.

The aspects under those two conditions in my chart are within 1 degree and 3 degrees respectively. In general, I just use standard orbs.

There's more conditions though, for instance a debilitated aspected by another planet in debilitation is said to cancel it's debilitation.

Also, the conditions involving angular houses apparently also work if the planet in question is in an angular house from the Moon (not just the ascendant).

sibylline

The aspects under those two conditions in my chart are within 1 degree and 3 degrees respectively. In general, I just use standard orbs.

There's more conditions though, for instance a debilitated aspected by another planet in debilitation is said to cancel it's debilitation.

Also, the conditions involving angular houses apparently also work if the planet in question is in an angular house from the Moon (not just the ascendant).

In that case, yes a couple fit... I just realized "debilitated" only refers to planets which are considered in fall in Western? Not those in detriment. I've been reading a couple of books with Vedic principles applied to Western astrology as well but I haven't come across this concept. I should research the reasoning behind it.

The_Saturnian

In that case, yes a couple fit... I just realized "debilitated" only refers to planets which are considered in fall in Western? Not those in detriment. I've been reading a couple of books with Vedic principles applied to Western astrology as well but I haven't come across this concept. I should research the reasoning behind it.

What are the names of the books? Out of interest. Yes this yoga works when planets are in their fall sign. I'm not too sure if early degrees in the those has a bearing on how powerful the yoga becomes. To hazard a guess, I'd say it probably would have a bearing. As my understanding of Vedic is if a planets is in earlier degrees it's weaker and vice versa.

muchacho

Aspects work differently in vedic. It's a completely different concept. First, you would use aspects by sign, not aspects by degree (except for transits maybe). Secondly, every planet only aspects the 7th house, except for Jupiter which additionally aspects the 5th and 9th, Mars the 4th and 8th and Saturn the 3rd and 10th. Thirdly, Jaimini aspects are entirely different story still; there, only signs aspect each other based on modes.

HoldOrFold

Interesting, ok. I'll have to look into that a bit more!

sibylline

Aspects work differently in vedic. It's a completely different concept. First, you would use aspects by sign, not aspects by degree (except for transits maybe). Secondly, every planet only aspects the 7th house, except for Jupiter which additionally aspects the 5th and 9th, Mars the 4th and 8th and Saturn the 3rd and 10th. Thirdly, Jaimini aspects are entirely different story still; there, only signs aspect each other based on modes.

Yes, I understand that whole sign aspects are used. I was asking HoldOrFold specifically because if he were using them I figured he would mention that.

What do you think of the thread concept, by the way? Is it something you use often?

HoldOrFold

Yeah, I practice western astrology but I find certain things of value in vedic and I'm seeing if anything can be translated over that can be used. I continue to use the western concept of aspects and orbs, but I understand the fundamental meaning of aspects which is that two planets are in communion with eachother so there should be nothing lost there. I also find the orbs in western astrology accurate and useful.

*By the way, this topic was posted on the main board to try and foster some discussion as to whether it can be integrated into western practice. But it was moved by a moderator into the vedic board.

Last edited: