IBS help

Fyrefly

I've had IBS for about twenty years now but for the last six weeks or so, it has been really flaring up. I'm tired of it controlling my life and am seeing a gastroenterologist on 8/3. I wonder if this is truly IBS or if something else is going on because I rarely flair up in the summer. There is just less job related stress during this time of the year.

A few days ago I saw an astrologer for a reading, but he isn't a medical one and didn't feel qualified to say anything about it. When I look at my chart, I see T-Neptune near my Chiron/SNode conjunction in Pisces opposite my Pluto NNode conjunction, but that seems to have more to do with home/career issues. The ruler of my Aries 6th of health, Mars, is in either 8th or 9th house Cancer and is being squared by transiting Mars, but that seems like it would have more to do with accidents (nearly had a potentially bad traffic accident Sunday night. I was **** lucky).

Any insight into what is going on and/or how to resolve the IBS thing would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Anachiel

What leaps out is transiting Mars is squaring your natal Mars and transiting Saturn is squaring your natal Saturn.

That seems a bit tense to me.

Because IBS is caused by the nerves and muscles of the lower bowl not functioning as they should and thus, somewhat involved the autonomic nervous system, i would say that some form of relaxing, even yoga could certainly be beneficial and start to re-coordinate the nervous system. Perhaps Polarty Therapy coul dbe beneficial in balancign the energies of the body, too.

I'm not a medical practitioner so this is only offered as a suggestion for you to research.

I am seeing lately that Mars and Saturn combo to be a rather tense combo with sudden, aggressive expression. So, in light of your chart and your concerns and the transits, I would suggest finding peaceful relief through the above as well as the neccessary dietary regime to keep the body from becoming too acidic/alkaline. In other words, moderation.

dr. farr

In addition to Anachiel's valuable observations and suggestions, I would also recommend consideration of the easily obtainable herb Wild Yam (dioscorea villosa) which has a long standing reputation (in herbal therapeutics) as an ameliorative remedy for irritable/spasmodic intestinal conditions...

I cee

I've had IBS for about twenty years now but for the last six weeks or so, it has been really flaring up. I'm tired of it controlling my life and am seeing a gastroenterologist on 8/3. I wonder if this is truly IBS or if something else is going on because I rarely flair up in the summer. There is just less job related stress during this time of

Hi Fyrefly, my heart goes out to you!
I can't give any astrological advice on this, but I too used to suffer with IBS, I still have flare up ocasionally,but they are rare now.
With mine came other debilitating conditions and eventually when my bladder played up as well, I finally got the help I needed.
I saw a womens physio who trained in Uro-dynamics, basically pelvic floor exercises, this was a miracle to me, my bladder calmed down and so did my bowel!!
I had suffered for 20yrs and found research on internet and I had done everything else apart from uro-dynamics because at the time the uk didn't do this.
I also got help from a nutritionist and learnt how to deep breathe, I still have to watch what I eat, too much grain upsets me.
I kept a food diary which might help
Also I use aromatherapy, I like to make up in a carrier oil, every 10ml put 1ml of Roman Chamomile, and if you are constipated try fennel as well.
Put a little in your hand and rub hands together to create warmth then massage around abdomen and lower back, and relax on bed and deep breathe, then cup hands over nose and breathe in the scent, this might help you!
This will make you a little 'out of it', so only do this when you know you can relax for a couple of hours,NO DRIVING!
Also the effect will wane after a few days, so do this for a few days then have a day or two off, so forth.
I do hope you get the help you deserve, and also I know its not always easy to get employment in these uncertain times, but if you feel there's a connection to the stress of your job, then maybe a less stressful job is what you need.

Fyrefly

What leaps out is transiting Mars is squaring your natal Mars and transiting Saturn is squaring your natal Saturn.

That seems a bit tense to me.

I missed the Saturn square Saturn aspect. Oddly enough, I don't feel like I'm under a lot of stress right now except for being frustrated with IBS. I've been trying to be more proactive about it, i.e. cutting out coffee, tea, dairy, acidic foods, sugar substitutes, and adding psyllium, also eating very small meals. It seems to be helping somewhat. I wonder if I don't have food allergies that I don't know about. I've also started goign to the gym which I am liking more than I thought I would.

I don't see anyone that does clarity therapy in this part of the state. Do you think acupuncture could help balance my energies?

I'm not a medical practitioner so this is only offered as a suggestion for you to research.

I am seeing lately that Mars and Saturn combo to be a rather tense combo with sudden, aggressive expression. So, in light of your chart and your concerns and the transits, I would suggest finding peaceful relief through the above as well as the neccessary dietary regime to keep the body from becoming too acidic/alkaline. In other words, moderation.

I thank you for your insight.

Cheers.

dr. farr

Yes, acupuncture has been clinically demonstrated (in China) to significantly improve persons with IBS.

Addenda: regarding the natal reference chart:
-Mars has to do with inflammatory conditions, also with spasms (as in IBS)
-using whole sign houses, Mars disposits the 6th house (health problem potentials) and therefore it also disposits the Sun (vital force) and Venus (which covers the liver and food digestion processes to a great extent)-and notice Venus is both retrograde and also in its sign of detriment (Aries) there in that 6th house of potential health problems.
-Mars itself is disposited by the Moon (it is in Cancer, which sign is affinitive to the stomach, and by extension, obviously, can affect the intestinal tract); the Moon and Mars are in each other's signs (mutual reception), and both planets are detrimented (Moon is in its fall sign of Scorpio, Mars its fall sign of Cancer)-that we could expect problems regarding the areas of the body and physiology, affinitive to those planets, is, therefore, not at all surprising, given the condition of those planets in the reference natal chart.

Your recent aggravation of IBS symptoms might be due to the transit of the South Node:
-in your natal, the Lot of Chronic Illness falls @ 0 Gemini
-beginning in March, 20122, the always disruptive/aggravating South Node (south node of the Moon, aka the Dragon's Tail) entered Gemini (@29:59 degrees) Ever since the SN has beeen retrograding through that sign-which is the sign of your Lot of Chronic Illness
-your LOCD is, as mentioned, at 0 Gemini: the SN is moving ever closer to that degree, the SN transit point now being @ 3 degrees of Gemini: as the SN has been moving closer to exact transit of your LOCD, there might well have been an aggravation of the symptoms of YOUR chronic problem (IBS)-I personally believe this accounts for the aggravation you have been experiencing over the past couple of months
-fortunately the SN passes completely OUT of Gemini the first week in September (2012) and this perhaps aggravating influence upon your condition, will pass away as well.

Last edited:

Lion o ness

I have had to deal with this my self, only not at the same level as you.. I do know and understand how awful it is, and how it effects your every day life, and even afraid to leave the house.. Driving is the worst...

I have Mars in H6 it squares Neptune.
This is my only aspect to my mars.

I had it for about 2 years give or take.. Probably around the time when Transit Neptune in Aqua was opps my H6 Leo Stellium. (which also squared my natal neptune)

Here's what I did.. I completely and totally stopped eating any and all red meat.
I eat chicken, pork, fish etc.. But no red meat.. I eat vegetarian at least once a week.. About a month after I changed my eating habits the attacks became less frequent, and even more important less strong.. After about 3 to 6 months the attacks became rare..
That was a few years ago now.. I rarely have an attack... At the most maybe once every 6 months and not as urgent.
I eat some red meat now, every once in a while but I keep it very limited..

Hope that helps..

Best wishes!

Fyrefly

I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond. It truly eases my mind to have some answers. Dr. Farr, I had no idea there was such a thing as a Lot of Chronic Illness. I find it fascinating.
If I wanted to find the LOCD for my mother, how would I go about it?

dr. farr

Finding the Lot of Chronice Disease (Illness)

1-see if it is a day birth or night birth

2-if it is a day birth, take the ascending degree (in degrees of the ecliptic*), add to this the degrees of Mars and subtract from this the degrees of Saturn:
eg, ascendant = 20 Libra; Mars is @ 15 Capricorn; Saturn is @ 28 Pisces
...so: 20 Libra = 200 degrees of the ecliptic (200); 15 Capricorn = 285 degrees; 200+285 = 485; now subtract Saturn (28 Pisces = 358 degrees of the ecliptic) so 485 minus 358 = 127: convert 127 degrees of the ecliptic back into sign degree (127 = 7 degrees Leo) The LOCD therefore, falls @ 7 Leo

3-if it is a night birth, reverse the formula: ascendant+Saturn-Mars
...so in the above case but in a night birth: ascendant = 200 + Saturn (358) = 558 minus Mars (285) = 273 degrees, which = 3 Capricorn; the LOCD for a night birth would be 3 Capricorn.

Sounds more difficult to figure out than it is, and there are calculators (free on the internet) to figure the Lots (aka "Arabic Parts"; eg, google Arabic Parts calculator which will list several internet calculating sites)

Frisiangal

Hi Fyrefly,
May I add some words of thought from an alternate perspective?

IBS is a physical disorder of the digestive system. Food is taken in, processed, sorted into what is valuable for the body in way of utilised energy, and the waste that is left is discharged. As a system it is ruled by Cancer (stomach), Virgo (small intestine) and Scorpio(large intestine - colon). One could even include the oesophogus, through which food passes, and is ruled by Gemini(upper) and Cancer (lower leading to stomach). The rulers of said signs obviously play their part in doing their sign's bidding.
Is food taken in properly, is it gulped down or adequately chewed and broken down, through which the digestive system acts accordingly to deal with it.

One can look at the digestive system (and any part of the physical body) in its analogy with the 'emotional' system. The Moon's feelings are stimulated by their interaction with others. It's (first?) reactional impressions taken in are then assimilated, digested and sorted by Virgo and Scorpio into what is worth keeping and utilising and what should be thrown out as unneccesary. Virgo via Mercury can do a perfectly good job through its realistic discriminative powers (read critical!). Scorpio, as an emotionally controlling fixed sign, can be inclined to hang on to what it should readily let go.

You have Scorpio Ascendant with modern ruler Pluto in the sign of the digestive system. With the sextile to natal Moon one would think that the digestive system would work well. The 'adder in the grass' would seem to be the Moon's conjunction with Neptune in its natural 12th house. This 'weakens' the effect of Scorpio's personal controlling system.....physically as well as emotionally. Moon-Neptune square Jupiter in Aquarius (irregular excesses) and Pluto is inconjunct Jupiter. Moon-Neptune are also
inconjunct (predisposition towards disorder through emotional stress) natal Sun in Aries (ruler MC- position in the world) square Mars, ruler 6th house of self-assessment/physical dis-order or dis-ease, in Cancer in 8th( effect other peoples' value systems). There would appear to be a theme at work there. Do you recognise one?

Imho, each time you react adversely to transits influencing any points regarding your 'personal control system' it could result in a coinciding malfunction of your whole digestive system. I would include the influence of the calculated point MEAN Black Moon Lilith, which is on 6*Leo in your chart (lack of 9th house recognition and/or of self-identity?), closely squares Moon-Neptune, attributing disassociative tendencies, and has been observed to appear to be more the rule than the exception in its influence regarding the onslaught of physical discomforts.
MEAN BML has been transiting Taurus since late last year. It would have been in aspect with Jupiter in January, Moon and Pluto during February, and with Neptune during March. Did any facts(Taurus) arise of which you were previously not aware, that could have been significant towards any 'flare up' of physical symptoms?

Do not forget that Mars was in a long term 8 month transit of Virgo, where it conjoined your natal Pluto, and only recently entered Libra. Said simply, I have witnessed too many people experiencing 'realisation hitting them in the face' (some as a result of those 'hidden facts') in one way or another. The Virgo security has undergone attack from Mars' assertiveness of 'proving yourself'.

As already mentioned by Anachiel, IBS is affected by the autonomic nervous system, the rulership of which falls under Uranus as modern ruler Aquarius. The nervous system is ruled by Mercurty of Gemini. Your chart shows an inconjunct aspect between Mercury-Uranus.

Finally, modern medical astrology works from the perspective that emotional unease or that of the psyche can bring on physical disorders. (By coincidence, I read recently that the medical world is beginning to think in a similar fashion regarding onset of symptoms!) You said that your disorder began about 20 years ago. Physical disorders do not arise overnight but have an 'incubation period' within the body. The physical symptom is acknowledgement that the body is out-of-order.
Looking at your progressed planetary positions about 22/3 years ago, can it be coincidence that progr. Sun conjunct Mercury opposed Neptune whilst progr. Moon was conjunct Moon-Neptune-Ascendant and conjunct tr. Pluto, and tr. Neptune in Capricorn opposed natal Mars? Can you recall anything important occuring at the time that may have led to 'an incubation period' occuring ?

With tr. Pluto positively influencing the Moon, itself, and eventually Neptune, you will hopefully come up with some 'psychological' answers that will help towards relief of the physical symptoms in the future

Fyrefly

Frisiangal, than you so much for this thoughtful, insightful anaylysis. I had to take some time thinking about what to say in reply.

You have Scorpio Ascendant with modern ruler Pluto in the sign of the digestive system. With the sextile to natal Moon one would think that the digestive system would work well. The 'adder in the grass' would seem to be the Moon's conjunction with Neptune in its natural 12th house. This 'weakens' the effect of Scorpio's personal controlling system.....physically as well as emotionally. Moon-Neptune square Jupiter in Aquarius (irregular excesses) and Pluto is inconjunct Jupiter. Moon-Neptune are also
inconjunct (predisposition towards disorder through emotional stress) natal Sun in Aries (ruler MC- position in the world) square Mars, ruler 6th house of self-assessment/physical dis-order or dis-ease, in Cancer in 8th( effect other peoples' value systems). There would appear to be a theme at work there. Do you recognise one?

I am sensing a power theme going on here, or perhaps powerlessness.

Imho, each time you react adversely to transits influencing any points regarding your 'personal control system' it could result in a coinciding malfunction of your whole digestive system. I would include the influence of the calculated point MEAN Black Moon Lilith, which is on 6*Leo in your chart (lack of 9th house recognition and/or of self-identity?), closely squares Moon-Neptune, attributing disassociative tendencies, and has been observed to appear to be more the rule than the exception in its influence regarding the onslaught of physical discomforts.

MEAN BML has been transiting Taurus since late last year. It would have been in aspect with Jupiter in January, Moon and Pluto during February, and with Neptune during March. Did any facts(Taurus) arise of which you were previously not aware, that could have been significant towards any 'flare up' of physical symptoms?

I'll have to read up on BML. I don't know very much about her.

In mid-January I learned that my gastric lap band had almost entirely eroded though my stomach into the interior. The gasteroenterologist was frightened, but I was ecstatically relieved that I didn't have cancer. It was removed 1/23/12 and I spent the next five weeks recovering from the surgery. I was lucky. I had no symptoms other than having trouble swallowing.

Do not forget that Mars was in a long term 8 month transit of Virgo, where it conjoined your natal Pluto, and only recently entered Libra. Said simply, I have witnessed too many people experiencing 'realisation hitting them in the face' (some as a result of those 'hidden facts') in one way or another. The Virgo security has undergone attack from Mars' assertiveness of 'proving yourself'.

March was when we found out how many people were going to be cut from school district. Late April was when I found out I wasn't going to be one of them. I have a lot of seniority, but am a school librarian and librarians are expendable in the minds of many (ignorant) school administrators. Its been fraught with anxiety to say the least.

As already mentioned by Anachiel, IBS is affected by the autonomic nervous system, the rulership of which falls under Uranus as modern ruler Aquarius. The nervous system is ruled by Mercurty of Gemini. Your chart shows an inconjunct aspect between Mercury-Uranus.

Finally, modern medical astrology works from the perspective that emotional unease or that of the psyche can bring on physical disorders. (By coincidence, I read recently that the medical world is beginning to think in a similar fashion regarding onset of symptoms!) You said that your disorder began about 20 years ago. Physical disorders do not arise overnight but have an 'incubation period' within the body. The physical symptom is acknowledgement that the body is out-of-order.
Looking at your progressed planetary positions about 22/3 years ago, can it be coincidence that progr. Sun conjunct Mercury opposed Neptune whilst progr. Moon was conjunct Moon-Neptune-Ascendant and conjunct tr. Pluto, and tr. Neptune in Capricorn opposed natal Mars? Can you recall anything important occuring at the time that may have led to 'an incubation period' occuring ?

This was also about the time, although that may have been around 15 years ago, that my parents finally realized that grandma wasn't quite as nice a person as everyone thought she was.*

I'd always had a good relationship with her until I was around ten or eleven, then I didn't want to be around her as much, but I couldn't articulate why. No one could understand why I didn't want to be around her for long periods of time.

When I was in my thirties she moved in with my parents and started driving my mother crazy to the point where mom was ready to move out. At one point she told my aunt that she "...could end my parents' marriage anytime she wanted to."*Then my uncle and aunt moved her into a retirement community where they lived. She started driving my aunt crazy by calling her twenty and thirty times a day, and expecting my aunt go drop whatever she was doing and come over and "help" her. It turned out that grandma behaved completely differently toward the women in the family when her two boys weren't around. She became manipulative, passive aggressive, and mean - but never when men were around.

I think I had picked up on that subconsciously*as a child but didn't know what it was, therefore, there must have been something wrong with me. It wasn't until years later that I was vindicated. I really loved my grandma, but she had a hidden side to her that was a real piece of work, and when I was little, I was powerless.

BUT, in defense of grandma, her own mother was mean and manipulative. Grandma loved animals her whole life. The only story I've heard about my great grandmother is that she cooked grandma's beloved pet rabbit and served it to her for dinner. Grandma never got over that.

With tr. Pluto positively influencing the Moon, itself, and eventually Neptune, you will hopefully come up with some 'psychological' answers that will help towards relief of the physical symptoms in the future

Thank you for starting me on that path.